Strange CD/Radio problem, never seen this one before.

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2011, 10:49 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,811 Likes on 1,282 Posts
Strange CD/Radio problem, never seen this one before.

Today my CD player just quit working after making a nice thump from the subwoofer. The radio works fine except it won't shut off. I can push the power button but it stays on. The volume control works. From the deck, I can't switch between FM/XM/CD. From the steering wheel "mode" button I can switch between all 3. The tuning knob still works. The small shiny preset buttons, also the track skip do not work on radio. If I can shut if off and get the CD to work for a few seconds (it tries to play but no tracking or sound takes place), I can skip through the tracks using these buttons.

I disconnected the battery and reconnected and here's where it gets weird. I was prompted to enter the navi code but the radio still had power to it, I did not have to enter a code. As of right now, even though all display lights are off, I'm worried about it draining the battery over night and I have to take my parents to the airport at 4am.

I disconnected all of the aftermarket stuff at the RCAs going into the LOC. That should eliminate the amps, line driver, and MS8.

I can select the CD menu right after restarting the car. Occasionally I can eject a disk before it shuts down with a pop. Once the CD shuts down, the power is turned off to the entire unit. If I select the "audio" screen on the navi screen, it turns the FM radio back on and from that point it won't shut off. Radio sounds normal. Most of the audio function buttons on the HU do not work.

It's as if the radio is getting power from somewhere but the last time I changed anything was a few days ago and I've put 4 hours worth of drive time on it listening to CDs since then. I'm really hoping the CD player did not go out and I'm wondering how the hell the radio is not losing power when the battery is disconnected and the radio will not turn off without turning the key off.

Without buying a service manual, I don't know where to start. I have noticed that the CD player has been getting more and more picky lately. I've had it reject some brand new never used store bought CDs. I'll have to eject them and try again sometimes. Not sure if it's possible this is related.
Old 05-12-2011, 10:01 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 69 Likes on 57 Posts
That sucks man. After seeing thread after thread like this, I decided to go aftermarket so I didn't run into this problem. They seems to be failing at a very high rate.
Old 05-12-2011, 09:08 PM
Team Owner

This really sucks. I'm huge on keeping the factory look and factory integration of all controls. Stock unit is over $1,000 on oemacuraparts. Not happening for a mediocre unit at best.

Time to start looking around. I remember someone had an all black one with knobs on either side somewhat like factory. I want a simple, classy HU that somewhat resembles factory. All black is a plus. Time to start searching, this should be fun.

Got to find out if navi can run by itself or if it needs the factory HU and if I need to get a new navi also. I'm guessing there's a 99% chance that they're related. I wish they made an aftermarket HU with a separate navi screen that I could put in the factory location.

Hey Jerry, want to fab up those two strips and take out the half circles?
Old 05-12-2011, 10:55 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,988 Likes on 1,412 Posts
Originally Posted by I hate cars
This really sucks. I'm huge on keeping the factory look and factory integration of all controls. Stock unit is over $1,000 on oemacuraparts. Not happening for a mediocre unit at best.

Time to start looking around. I remember someone had an all black one with knobs on either side somewhat like factory. I want a simple, classy HU that somewhat resembles factory. All black is a plus. Time to start searching, this should be fun.

Got to find out if navi can run by itself or if it needs the factory HU and if I need to get a new navi also. I'm guessing there's a 99% chance that they're related. I wish they made an aftermarket HU with a separate navi screen that I could put in the factory location.

check out ebay for another unit, they go for a pretty decent price. You might also want to consider taking your HU to an audio shop and see if they can take it apart and see if they can fix it.
Old 05-13-2011, 01:31 AM
A-SPEC TL

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I bought it off ebay from oemcaraudio. I got mines and its 100% oem and perfect. Hell of a deal too!! I wasnt gonna pay a grand for this shit.

I dont know if this is your exact model, but you can read your number off your cassette player door and click on it. And it should come up.

http://cgi.ebay.com/04-05-2005-06-Ac...item1c1b944647
Old 05-13-2011, 02:13 AM
Coolest A-zine Member

Received 171 Likes on 162 Posts
Damn! Good deal there if it's just the CD player
Old 05-13-2011, 07:56 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 69 Likes on 57 Posts

Just send them my way...no problem.
Old 05-13-2011, 09:37 AM
Dogmatic Dinosaur

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts
The code on the tape door is what you need to look for. It will be something like 1TB0, or similar. If you get the same radio, then it is plug and play.

They are about $200, or so, on ebay... except for the 04 with navi which seem to fail more than most.

...or call some junk yards - people are not rebuilding the 3G TL as much as they were, so more are showing up as wrecks at the yards.
Old 05-13-2011, 12:01 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Klutch
I bought it off ebay from oemcaraudio. I got mines and its 100% oem and perfect. Hell of a deal too!! I wasnt gonna pay a grand for this shit.

I dont know if this is your exact model, but you can read your number off your cassette player door and click on it. And it should come up.

http://cgi.ebay.com/04-05-2005-06-Ac...item1c1b944647
Thank you so much. Going to order one today.
Old 05-14-2011, 12:47 AM
A-SPEC TL

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thank you so much. Going to order one today.
No worries
Old 05-21-2011, 02:08 AM
Team Owner

WTF!!!! This is starting to piss me off.

My number is 1TB2 on the cassette door. Everywhere I look, this says it's a non navi radio and will not work if the car has navi. Obviously it does have navi and it does work. I'm the original owner of the car. So what do I do now, order the 1TB3 that is said to work with navi or do I order the same one that's in the car?? I would really like to get confirmation so I can order a damn radio for my car.
Old 04-21-2013, 09:45 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I hate cars, I am having the same issue except that my radio can be shut off by hitting the power button. Ive had the issue for about a month now and considering taking my car to an audio shop to get a fix or a new after market HU.

Anyone have any suggestions on a good HU?