Stereo Volume...

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2004, 08:18 PM
Go Giants!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stereo Volume...

Like any good rocker, at times I like my music loud. I've noticed that particularly XM and CD's aren't as "loud" as I would have expected. Now before anyone rants I know it's a finely tuned sound system, and believe me I appreciate how good the sound is (especially DVD-A's). But sometimes you just want Big Volume.

Does anyone else notice this compared to their other stock cars? I have a 97 I30 and although the sound quality isnt' there, the V is.

Comments??
Old 08-04-2004, 08:22 PM
Racer

i am sure there will be many others that agree with you about the loudness of our TL's, me being one of them.
Old 08-04-2004, 08:37 PM
Safety Car

i dunno how loud you guys like your music but i never really set the volume past 12. its pretty darn audible. but i guess the person who is going for the "hey everybody listen to my music" might be disappointed its not booming loud.
Old 08-04-2004, 08:41 PM
Intermediate

I have said it before, and I will continue to say it... The sound quality is great in the TL, however I still miss, and probably always will miss the Mach 1000 that came in my 2002 Mustang GT... 570w RMS... 1140w Peak... damn it was good and 100% stock

Anyways, I agree 100%, I do not find the volumn to be there in the TL... other than that, good sound system. (Volumn is especially bad if the windows are down....)
Old 08-04-2004, 08:44 PM
Not a Blowhole

Received 32 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by PA-TL
Like any good rocker, at times I like my music loud. I've noticed that particularly XM and CD's aren't as "loud" as I would have expected. Now before anyone rants I know it's a finely tuned sound system, and believe me I appreciate how good the sound is (especially DVD-A's). But sometimes you just want Big Volume.

Does anyone else notice this compared to their other stock cars? I have a 97 I30 and although the sound quality isnt' there, the V is.

Comments??
Not sure what you are saying - is it that the system does not play loud enough?
If you are saying that at position '4', other systems seemed louder that is not uncommon, as most people have been conditioned by an audio industry trick.
Let me explain why:

It is a common "trick" on receivers that you would find at Circuit City to have the volume controls non-linear - that is their resitivity does not change on a linear scale, but a log scale. So at a position of "9 o'clock", the unit may seem loud, and the electronically impaired will think, "I have four times more volume available to me - this unit rocks!".

Of course in reality, it doesn't - there will be a point quickly reached, where the volume control (which is a potentiometer) will have reached its minimum resistance point, and the gain of the amplifier is maxed out. Beyond that (usually about "1 o'clock" on mass produced units), the amplifier will start to clip the waveform, as its maximum output capability is exceeded by the demands of the speakers. By then, the speakers may be distorting of they are high efficiency, or the amp will give out first if they are not.

The 2nd factor is that there are no standards for input level. CD has one, but mfrs often do not follow it, so their unit will sound louder in the typical audiophile "test". FM level may be louder than CD, opr not - it will depend. And human hearing always prefers the louder of two signals, assuming the noise and distortion are similarly low.

So, I do not find the ELS system int he TL to be more or less loud than any other standard car stereo I have heard - compared to most it is better. I do like the Harman Intl systems (Mark Levinson) used in some cars like the Lexus i think.

But compared to what I have at home, ANY car audiuo system sounds so muddy, bass boomy, and opaque that I cannot take them seriously. So I guess I am spoiled in that regard.

I say enjoy you car's sound.
Old 08-04-2004, 08:49 PM
Advanced

i think it is notas loud as other stereos. With the windows open it is not loud enough
Old 08-04-2004, 09:00 PM
Not a Blowhole

Received 32 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by sleeks
i think it is notas loud as other stereos. With the windows open it is not loud enough
Don't tell me you are one of those guys who "shares" at stoplights and gas stations?
:'(
Old 08-04-2004, 09:04 PM
Racer

hmm and when i had my music blasting at the light, i always thought the car next to me was trying to make a remix of my song by turning his up to... hmm bach rock dont mix well but hey it was his mix...
Old 08-04-2004, 09:06 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Road Rage
Don't tell me you are one of those guys who "shares" at stoplights and gas stations?
:'(
Personally, I just like to hear the music I am listening to while driving... I find I have to turn up the volumn a fare bit when I have the windows down... has nothing to do with "Sharing"...
Old 08-04-2004, 09:11 PM
Go Giants!!

With all due respect to Road Rage, I may not know the mechanics of an audio system, but I do know sound (my home Boston Acoustics system is kick ass). The TL is not IMHO good enough, especially w/the windows open (sleeks & No remorse). Don't get me wrong (as I said earlier) the sound QUALITY is fantastic. I'm not one to care about "hey everybody listen to my music" (caball88). I like good quality, at times loud music. Not around town, not in my driveway...but on the road, doing 80 with the windows and roof open. It is here that the TL is always inadequate...and at time inadequate even in better conditions (again as far as pure V is concerned).

I think some of the problem is that the center speaker has too much power. It seems to dominate the entire sound system not just lyrics at times.
Old 08-04-2004, 09:26 PM
Advanced

loud enough?

Originally Posted by PA-TL
I think some of the problem is that the center speaker has too much power. It seems to dominate lyrics at times.
As it's been posted here (sorry, don't remember if it was Road Rage or not!), you can turn the center channel to 0 (off) with possibly improved imaging for non-DVD/A sources.

Of course, you can also add amps, but I'm unclear on that concept. The TL sound is certainly clean. No doubt it was designed for windows-up operation, but I know there will be those who go all-out for amp options.

Compared to my 94 Integra, it's just so quiet!!
Old 08-04-2004, 09:28 PM
Intermediate

PA-TL, I completely agree with you. I noticed the same thing. I can play a DVD-A at 100% volume to crystal clarity, but still want a few clicks more on the volume. It is very limited on the high end.

I would wager this is by design -- that the TL audio system volume is deliberately limited to avoid distortion.
Old 08-04-2004, 09:43 PM
Racer

Yeah, at 80mph with all windows open, I wish the volume went a wee-bit louder. With windows down and cruising, I barely go above 10.
Old 08-21-2004, 07:11 PM
TX JD

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This system is rated at 225 amps, but it has 6 channels and the factory amp is relatively small. Most decent 4 channel amps are 50% larger, so you know the quality is limited. I figure the power rating is 25 amps for the 2 front, 2 rear and center channels with 100 amps for the sub, but it could be 30 amps for the 5 channels and 75 for the sub. Regardless, there is no question that higher volumes cause hearing fatigue, which is always a sign that quality power is not present. I have purchased very small amps rated at 25 amps per channel for $75 and quality amps rated at 30 amps for $300. Not much difference in the amps but the quality of the sound was amazing. Add aftermarket amps first, then upgrade speakers, depending on your requirements for a good system.
Old 01-06-2005, 09:51 AM
Advanced

I was at 25 the other day listing to a CD, that was just loud enogh, then on FM I was at 5.
Old 01-06-2005, 10:08 AM
VTEC HoooA

As has already been mentioned the volume level is completely related to the source. I also wish for a bit more oomph at times, but for the most part the TL system is a very satisfying experience.

If only I could get rid of that persistent popping on DTS cd's it would be a dream!!