State farm won't cover my stolen radar detector!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 11:55 AM
zaino'd

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
State farm won't cover my stolen radar detector!!!

From your guys' experience, is there anything I can do about this?
Old 08-05-2008, 12:37 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Auto insurance usually doesn't cover contents of the vehicle. You would have to claim it under your homeowner's policy ( if you have one).
Old 08-05-2008, 12:43 PM
zaino'd

Originally Posted by MarkBro
Auto insurance usually doesn't cover contents of the vehicle. You would have to claim it under your homeowner's policy ( if you have one).
They covered my GPS last time under my auto insurance (comprehensive).

This time they are saying that they can't cover a radar detector because they are safety hazards!
Old 08-05-2008, 12:47 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by jmkiang
They covered my GPS last time under my auto insurance (comprehensive).

This time they are saying that they can't cover a radar detector because they are safety hazards!
Wow that's a new one. Who defines "safety hazard"? Them? Ask them to point that out in your policy.
Old 08-05-2008, 12:47 PM
zaino'd

Originally Posted by MarkBro
Wow that's a new one. Who defines "safety hazard"? Them? Ask them to point that out in your policy.
Yeah I will. This is frustrating!
Old 08-05-2008, 01:52 PM
SlammedOnKonis

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Tell them to point out the difference in safety between a windshield gps and radar. I'd think the radar would be safer (other than the speeding part) since you're never constantly looking at it as you would a GPS.
Old 08-05-2008, 02:49 PM
NBP REPRESENT

whoever your rep is...ask for their manager...

and yes the GPS example is perfect...

lol if u want to be funny...u can tell them it is my way of avoiding tickets so i dont have to pay a higher insurance premium...
Old 08-05-2008, 02:54 PM
zaino'd

FCK!
Check out the image...
http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/k...Picture041.jpg
Old 08-05-2008, 03:08 PM
Keep Right Except to Pass

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts
That's pretty definitive. The universal rule on policy interpretation is that you start with the plain meaning of the policy language. In some states, you might try to argue that your "reasonable expectations" were that it would be covered, and if you had an ignorant enough judge and jury you might even win, but the "reasonable expectations" argument is called by coverage attorneys "the last refuge of the desperate policyholder," especially where the exclusion is as clear as it is in the policy you linked.
Old 08-05-2008, 04:56 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
Its a simple matter to have fancy new rims-radios- etc added to the contents protection of your policy as specified items
Since a radar detector is NOT a GPS map, or other helpful device- its INTENT in fact is to allow you to speed----so thats a safety issue--they dont have to pay for it
Old 08-26-2008, 02:06 AM
Racer

Sorry bro that sucks!
Old 08-26-2008, 02:15 AM
邵樂百

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Angry State Farm is the master of claim denial....

Those crooks got their lawyers working 24/7 to find new ways to deny claims I am going to talk with my agent about all the mods I've added on since getting my car! That sux dude.
Old 08-26-2008, 09:03 AM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Received 561 Likes on 393 Posts
From your guys' experience, is there anything I can do about this?
Did you park the car and leave the unit visible? Duh ...
Did you know that thefts of portable GPS's are skyrocketing for that very reason?

Radar detectors have always been frowned upon by insurance companies. One of Geico's questions when insuring with them used to be "Do You Own a Radar Dectector?"

Now you know another reason why insurance rates are higher for those under 25.

With gas prices these days, who wants to speed anyway?
Old 08-26-2008, 09:21 AM
FTW

Received 84 Likes on 45 Posts
Did you leave the RD out in plain site?

I will say.. you had it coming..
Old 08-27-2008, 03:05 PM
User name now jdb8805

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Change insurance companies.

The only way to get the message across to companies that have policies like this is to find a company that doesn't have that policy (assumes you can find one). Be sure to state WHY you are leaving when you call them to cancel your policy.

Examples:
-Homeowners insurance that won't cover you if you have a "dangerous" breed of dog. Yes, the most dangerous part of my rott is that she may lick you to death.
-Binding Arbitration clauses. Ask a lawyer about this if you really want to see someone get upset.
-Not shopping at stores that force you to stop and go through your buggy checking it against the receipt.

Complacency is an epidemic and would make those who fought for things like unions and freedoms years ago sick.
Old 08-27-2008, 03:44 PM
Keep Right Except to Pass

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by firstacuratl
Those crooks got their lawyers working 24/7 to find new ways to deny claims ....
I don't see how there's anything crooked about enforcing the plain meaning of the policy language. It's printed right there. I know a lot of people don't read their policies, but that's not the insurers' fault.

BTW, jedblanks, what do you mean "go through your buggy"? What's a "buggy"?
Old 08-27-2008, 05:18 PM
ROFLCOPTER!

Originally Posted by firstacuratl
Those crooks got their lawyers working 24/7 to find new ways to deny claims I am going to talk with my agent about all the mods I've added on since getting my car! That sux dude.
AllState is the worst offender.
Old 08-28-2008, 08:17 AM
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
I'd switch companies... I've been with Statefarm for over 20 years and never had a problem.

Also, save your money on the radar detector and get a better security system or just stick to 10mph over the limit. You didn't list any details about the theft and this seems to be a reoccurring problem so I'm thinking there is some driver negligence involved by not locking doors, shutting windows, and hiding valuables from clear site. Live and learn...
Good luck...
Old 08-28-2008, 11:03 AM
Laker fan

Originally Posted by BuffBakerGA
I'd switch companies... I've been with Statefarm for over 20 years and never had a problem.

Also, save your money on the radar detector and get a better security system or just stick to 10mph over the limit. You didn't list any details about the theft and this seems to be a reoccurring problem so I'm thinking there is some driver negligence involved by not locking doors, shutting windows, and hiding valuables from clear site. Live and learn...
Good luck...
Sorry but i hate these statements (no offense to you). It doesnt matter how long you've been with an insurance company, its how many times they bailed you out when you needed help. If within 20 yrs you never made a claim, then this statement doesnt mean squat.

I hate insurance companies and warranties.... f*ckers are always quick to take your money...and slow as sh*t to help you with a claim (or find every possible way to deny your claim)
Old 08-28-2008, 11:23 AM
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by acuraman211
Sorry but i hate these statements (no offense to you). It doesnt matter how long you've been with an insurance company, its how many times they bailed you out when you needed help. If within 20 yrs you never made a claim, then this statement doesnt mean squat.

I hate insurance companies and warranties.... f*ckers are always quick to take your money...and slow as sh*t to help you with a claim (or find every possible way to deny your claim)
I agree completely with the BLUE highlighted statement. You really do find out what they're made of when you need them to pay out.

However, I have to take exception to the PURPLE highlight...My wife and I have had the same agent for 20+ years (insuring all our vehicles and our home) for one reason; Whenever we've had ANY issues that required filing a claim our guy has gone way beyond what we expected and gotten us the maximum payment he could. He's been awesome when we had accidents, getting us rental cars delivered to the crash site, following through to make sure the body shops used OEM parts, instead of aftermarket, and making sure we were completely satisfied before closing any claims we've made.
But that ALL probably has to do with several factors: 1. We are mature adults 2. Our premiums are always paid on time 3. We never file claims frivolously 4. We haven't had a moving violation ticket between us in 20 years. They aren't ALL Crooks...but when you're young they tend to treat you a lot differently than they do when you're mature, a homeowner, and you haven't had any legal entanglements. Even if you are a great driver, you are a good customer, they still tend to bias thier payment decisions against youth. It's wrong, but sadly it's the truth.
Another important thing is that we stressed right from the beginning that we were not necessarily looking for the cheapest insurance we could get. We wanted to feel secure in our purchase and in the fact that we'd get good service for that price. You can always find a better price to get legal, but when you need them behind you the cheaper guys can really suck.
Old 08-28-2008, 12:17 PM
Laker fan

Originally Posted by acuraman211
hahaha, this isnt always the case of course.... but i would bet that there is a higher % of ppl getting screwed in the end because insurance/warranty companies gave you the run around on something they didnt want to compensate/fix.
Old 08-28-2008, 10:30 PM
who dat lil kid?

1st off...radar is not a factory equipment...

no insurance company covers any "accessories" ...

example...custom radio...subs...amps...

all accessories...

none of it is covered UNLESS you add the custom coverage with your policy...

even if you do add it...you have a deductible...its usually the same as comp...what is yours? 100? 250? 500? 1000?

might not even be worth filing a claim...
Old 08-28-2008, 10:37 PM
Intermediate

Ok...... want the correct answer? Yes I am an attorney and yes I do insurance defense work...meaning if you have insurance and get sued...I represent you. I also do work for the insurance companies........

Bottom line...read your policy...most auto policies here in NJ have specific exclusions for radar detectors, radar jammers, CD, Tapes and after market audio that's not "permanently installed"....the reason the GPS was covered was that it isn't specifically excluded....I was looking at a policy yesterday and was wondering that myself, after reading all the exclusions, if my old GPS was covered and noted it wasn't excluded. Most of these "form" policies were written before GPS's units were a common thing. I suspect newer policies will exclude them. It is true that the courts will hold you to exactly what is in the contract...and since you didn't write it...any ambiguities get held against the maker of the contract. But I guarantee, when you read your policy it specifically says "we don't cover theft of radar detectors"....Therefore....that's what it means......

Glad to help in an area I definitely know about......feel like I'm paying back for all the help I've gotten!
Old 08-28-2008, 11:44 PM
zaino'd

OK guys I got over this but thanks for bring it back up

My comprehensive deductible is $100. That paid for $2500 worth of repairs at the Acura dealership. SF's policy states that radar detectors aren't covered... I posted a picture above. Anyway, SF has been very willing to work with me and repaired all the damages caused by the break-in. Everyone tells me I should've said I got other things stolen but thats just bad karma
Old 09-01-2008, 02:46 PM
Racquetballer

My car was just broken into and my insurance (USAA) explained that I was able to claim anything that was a car "accessory". I claimed my stolen phone as the only requirement was being able to show that it was powered by the car battery. I just told them that my phone was plugged in.