Sprint Samsung A900

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2005, 02:29 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Man that sucks that you only have until the 27th. I doubt they'll give you an extension, and I don't know I'd trust them unless you have it in writing or something.

I can tell you that the SPCS Treo 650 works great. I'm the kind of person that gets a new phone every 6 months. The Treo is the best most useful phone I've ever had. I love that I can send/receive my POP/SMTP mail where ever I go. It's really nice to have the full keyboard for sending emails, and this the best phone browser I've ever had.
Old 12-23-2005, 07:27 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by WillHereSF
Hey there:

I went through musak hell for the past couple of weeks trying to get the info on this phone and why it won't work with my TL. I got the same information that every one else got.
1. There was an update for a short time. It didn't work well, so they pulled it out. That's the reason you get a 1012 error message.
2. There is an update being tested. This update should have a fix for the pairing with the TL, but it's not guaranteed.
3. They have an estimated availability for Jan 3rd... but you know how that goes.

I really like the phone. I have until the 27th to return it under the 14 day trial. I'm going to call Sprint and see if I can get an extension on the return timeline. If the update doesn't work, then I'm getting either the LG PM 325 or the Treo 650.

Good luck and Happy Holidays everyone!

W
Returned the A900 since Sprint could not promise that there will be a software upgrade soon. Sprint allowed me an extension for three days. I tried out the A940 and it did not work well for me.
My relative has the Verizon Razr and it works well on my 05 TL NAV.
Old 12-26-2005, 07:00 PM
10th Gear

new TL owner so obviously new forum member.
Just got 06' TL w/ Navi, Redodndo red w/ camel int. Could not be happier w/ the ride. Love the car.

Bought the A900 on ebay before i discovered this forum. The phone is mine no returns no refunds. GREAT price; yet I am now really concerned that it will never be the "right" phone for TL owner. Yes, stupid I know. There is so much help in this thread...thank you all for posting the insightful info. So it sounds to me that the bottom line w/ the A900 is that the next software update will determine whether or not sprint has removed all the bugs and designed a software that allows it to pair w/ TL successfully. I feel like I have a 50-50 shot on this HFL utilization. I will continuw to check forum for when the update is available.

Please someone review...I know it's been covered; but once more for us idiots...please review how i update the software on my phone...THANK YOU all!
Old 12-26-2005, 09:19 PM
Team Anthracite Member

[QUOTE=boognishloeb]new TL owner so obviously new forum member.
Just got 06' TL w/ Navi, Redodndo red w/ camel int. Could not be happier w/ the ride. Love the car.

Bought the A900 on ebay before i discovered this forum. The phone is mine no returns no refunds. GREAT price; yet I am now really concerned that it will never be the "right" phone for TL owner. Yes, stupid I know. There is so much help in this thread...thank you all for posting the insightful info. So it sounds to me that the bottom line w/ the A900 is that the next software update will determine whether or not sprint has removed all the bugs and designed a software that allows it to pair w/ TL successfully. I feel like I have a 50-50 shot on this HFL utilization. I will continuw to check forum for when the update is available.

Please someone review...I know it's been covered; but once more for us idiots...please review how i update the software on my phone...THANK YOU all![/QUOTE

To update the firmware (when it is available) go to Menu - Settings - Others - Update Phone.
Old 12-26-2005, 09:20 PM
Team Anthracite Member

Originally Posted by boognishloeb
new TL owner so obviously new forum member.

Please someone review...I know it's been covered; but once more for us idiots...please review how i update the software on my phone...THANK YOU all!

To update the firmware (when it is available) go to Menu - Settings - Others - Update Phone.
Old 12-26-2005, 09:36 PM
Burning Brakes

If you don't have a Vision data plan you will get charges KB usage charges too. Just keep that in mind.

I'm sure Samsung will get this corrected shortly. Let's hope!
Old 12-27-2005, 04:56 PM
Team Anthracite Member

Originally Posted by HiTEC
If you don't have a Vision data plan you will get charges KB usage charges too. Just keep that in mind.

I'm sure Samsung will get this corrected shortly. Let's hope!
Are you sure that is true for Firmware updates?? I have never gotten a charge for updating firmware and I dont have any data plan at all.
Old 12-28-2005, 08:50 AM
1st Gear

Any news?

I'm new to this, but I want to get the samsung A900, but dont want to spend the $$$ if it doesnt work with the TL.

Anyone heard anything new other than what has been posted already?
Old 12-28-2005, 09:23 AM
Team Anthracite Member

Originally Posted by jbeckma2
I'm new to this, but I want to get the samsung A900, but dont want to spend the $$$ if it doesnt work with the TL.

Anyone heard anything new other than what has been posted already?
still waiting for the update
Old 12-28-2005, 10:04 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mortifer
Are you sure that is true for Firmware updates?? I have never gotten a charge for updating firmware and I dont have any data plan at all.
I'm pretty sure. You are using your phones data connection to download the firmware over-the-air. I spend a lot of time on the Sprint forums, and everything I've read says you will incur data charges (unless you have a Vision plan of course). I've never had a FOTA capable phone, so I can't say for sure. I also have Vision, so I would not be billed anyways. Just wanted to put that possible warning out there in case people do get billed.
Old 12-28-2005, 05:23 PM
2005 Acura TL w/Navi @ XM

Samsung A900, A920 and A940

Thank you to everyone who has kept the information current and meanignful. I wish I had checked here first before buying the Samsung SPH-A920 phone yesterday and learning today that it doesn't "pair" with my TL.

Spoke with Acura Tech Help who confirmed the A920, along with the others listed on their site, will not work as well. He did not offer any indication that a resolution was pendign though.

However, after reading this thread, it appears that a firmware update for the A900 phone is pending final testing. Curious to know if anyone who spoke with Samsung Tech Help also heard anything about the A920 phone firmware update that will fix this problem ?

I am assuming this is a software protocol problem and not hardware. Thanks again for the great informaiton.
Old 12-28-2005, 07:44 PM
Intermediate

Those phones dont have bluetooth, how do you expect it to be compatible with the TL?
Old 12-28-2005, 10:54 PM
Team Anthracite Member

Of course they do check the Samsung site . They just don't support the HFL profile yet. As said before theough there is a firmware upgrade pending that should address that problem.
Old 12-28-2005, 11:25 PM
1st Gear

Samsung BT Compatibilities

None of the Samsung handsets are currently compatible with the HFL profile, but Samsung has committed to Sprint that a firmware update will be available for their phones that will allow them to be compatible with HFL during the 1st quarter. Currently Honda, Acura, Audi, Volkswagen, and BMW are all included in the kits that will not work with the Samsung phones -
Old 12-29-2005, 05:12 PM
Team Anthracite Member

The newest firmware is out there guys. It now stays paired with the TL, but it cannot hang up a call (You have to wait for the other party to hang up).

Supposedly there will be another update soon to fix more issues with the phone.
Old 12-29-2005, 08:33 PM
7th Gear

The A900 update came out today. Software revision YL10. Now works OK in that I can make calls, stays connected. Still does not disconnect when you hit the disconnect button. Does if other party hangs up though. Battery and signal strength do not show up, so seems to work the way people with update that was pulled off earlier were describing. There is talk on the forums of a futher update coming soon.

At least it works (you need to hit end on the phone).

Lenny
Old 12-30-2005, 03:43 PM
Intermediate

How about Signal/Reception for this phone

I got the update last night and tested it as soon as I got home, but have not travelled with it.
Can anyone comment on the signal reception on this phone while traveling in the car? Better or worse than what you had before?

I really hope they update the software soon. It's annoying to have to hang up the phone manually. I have to take it out of my pocket while to turn it off.

Any ideas when the next patch is coming out?

Thanks,

W
Old 12-30-2005, 06:17 PM
3rd Gear

how do i get the update?

how do you get the update? i get an error when i try through the phone and ive called many stores and noone at the sprint stores have any idea what im talking about.
Old 12-30-2005, 06:46 PM
3rd Gear

It Works!!!

finally!!! i kept trying to update software on my A900 and kept getting an error message. after trying randomly for days it finally worked. i just got the update and went for a ride around the block to check it and the phone works with my car!!! (doesnt hang up correctly, but at least it works)
Old 12-30-2005, 07:02 PM
Intermediate

Another software update by Jan 9

I went searching around the net to see if anyone knew when the next software update for the A900 would come... and read a couple of posts that say 1st week of January 2006 or Jan 9th.

Hopefully the upcoming update will have the BT fixes.

Love the phone and glad they are fixing it, 'cause I was ready to throw it out the window.

Peace!

W
Old 12-30-2005, 09:28 PM
2nd Gear

I got the latest firmware update today and I still cannot get the TL to find the a900 in the pairing setup. Am I the only one??
Old 12-31-2005, 10:06 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by GrimDog
I got the latest firmware update today and I still cannot get the TL to find the a900 in the pairing setup. Am I the only one??
When I was pairing my Treo, I had to tell my phone to find the car, rather than the car finding my phone.

I think the pairing instructions are kind of backwards. I don't keep my phone in discoverable mode, so the car would never find my phone.

I'm going from memory here, and I don't know exactly how the 900 works, but bluetooth should pretty much work the same.

-Start the pairing process on the car, tell the car you pin number
-When that is complete go to your phone and tell your phone to search for devices
-Your phone should find the car, and it will ask you to enter the pin into your phone that you told the car in the first step.
-The car and phone should sync, and the HFL will come back and tell you to say a name for this device.
-Done
Old 12-31-2005, 12:50 PM
2nd Gear

thanks a ton, its working now. I was trying to get the phone to pair not search.
Old 01-02-2006, 10:00 AM
Love my TL

thanks a ton, its working now. I was trying to get the phone to pair not search.
Did this update fix all the problems people were reporting in this thread? Can you transfer calls back and forth from the phone and TL? Can you successfully hang up and answer calls?

Some had some success with pairing but were having problems with other HFL features.

Thanks!
Old 01-03-2006, 12:43 AM
7th Gear

were and how did you get the update
Old 01-03-2006, 06:07 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by crusher1
Please read this entire thread (only 3 pages, that's not that much work). Your question has been asked already (at least once in this thread).
Old 01-03-2006, 12:53 PM
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by rs808
Did this update fix all the problems people were reporting in this thread? Can you transfer calls back and forth from the phone and TL? Can you successfully hang up and answer calls?

Some had some success with pairing but were having problems with other HFL features.

Thanks!
Originally Posted by crusher1
I think he got it to work by following HITEC's recommendation of telling the phone to find the car, rather than the car finding the phone. I dont think there are any updates involved.

Look at HITEC's responce on this page.
Old 01-03-2006, 09:54 PM
6th Gear

Hello All - As of December 31, I am the very happy owner of an Acura TL. I just wanted to let you all know that I have a Samsung model 920 cell phone (Sprint) and it makes outgoing calls, picks up incoming calls and disconnects from the car's handsfreelink just fine using the steering wheel controls. I can also transfer calls from the handsfreelink back to the phone (haven't tried the reverse). None of the extras work - I can't see battery life, signal strength, etc. But given the messages I've been reading on this forum about problems with many of the Bluetooth phones, I'm just happy it's working at all!

Caveat: I've only tried pairing the phone once, so who knows what will happen the next time. But I'm hoping for the best.

I hope everyone else will be successful as well...

- Deb
Old 01-05-2006, 09:44 AM
Pro

so I am guessing no updates yet but getting the phone to search the car option is solving the issue ?
Old 01-05-2006, 12:49 PM
6th Gear

Getting the phone to search for the car is what worked for me.
Old 01-05-2006, 03:33 PM
Burning Brakes

I think that's really the preferred way to do it anyways. You really don't want to have your bluetooth phone discoverable. You don't need to have your phone constantly broadcasting that it's there. That's a good way for somebody to bluejack you are something. For security reasons you should make sure your phone is not discoverable. If you turn it on for pairing (which you should not need to do if you search for the car from the phone), make sure you turn it off after pairing. Once it's paired you do not need to worry about it again.
Old 01-09-2006, 09:27 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
any new updates on the bluetooth functionality with the sprint samsung a900 or a920?

Are most of the bugs fixed? Still on the fence on which one to get.
Old 01-09-2006, 09:52 PM
Team Anthracite Member

Originally Posted by blacktlsport
any new updates on the bluetooth functionality with the sprint samsung a900 or a920?

Are most of the bugs fixed? Still on the fence on which one to get.

There a still some bugs left for Bluetooth, but there is supposed to be another update pretty soon that addresses those. If you are in the market for a new phone, get the A900. I have had mine since the day after Thanksgiving and I LOVE it.
Old 01-09-2006, 11:18 PM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
phone ringing but no one's calling -=/

guys, am i the only one experiencing this? out of the blue my HFL will ring/tell me i have an imcoming call, BUT there's actually nothing going on on the phone itself. i pick up -- nothing.

if i don't pick up it'll continue to ring randomly (the car i mean, not the phone.) and all the while there's no voice mail, text message, or actual call or anything else of the sort on the phone itself.

anyone else experience this?

thanks for any input!
collin
Old 01-10-2006, 12:28 AM
Intermediate

Phone's ringing but there's nobody on the other side

I'm having the same issue with my HFL/Blade.
I get a few false alarms while I'm driving and I'm playing the stereo.
Haven't checked, but the louder the HFL volume (it could be the volume of the music), the more false alarms I get.

If anyone knows of a fix for this, it would be most appreciated.

Old 01-10-2006, 08:36 AM
10th Gear

Happened yesterday!

I was driving to key largo yesterday and I had 3 false alarms. The car would ring and no one was there. The phone history was exactly the same and showed no evidence of a new incoming call. weird... I ended up calling the last incoming call and the person said "No I didn't call you."

anyway.

Best phone I have ever owned...hands down.
Old 01-10-2006, 09:12 AM
1st Gear

Happens to me pretty often, seems like when I am in the car for more than 20 minutes, I will receive call after call with no one on the other end. It's pretty annoying so I end up disabling the blue tooth on the phone. If I reconnect, the same thing will happen about 20 minutes later. Not sure what to do, really cool phone.
Old 01-10-2006, 10:03 AM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
nice... (sort of) i'm glad i'm not alone in this, but yeah, its deifnitely very annoying. and you're right it does happen about every 15/20 minutes or so.

i've tried everything i can think of with regards to volume adjustments and etc. even if the radio is off, it'll still ring at me. to get it to stop i usually pick up my phone dial VM and then hang up. that'll usually get me another 20 minutes or so of peace.

i guess we'll have to wait on another firmware update.

thanks all,
collin
Old 01-10-2006, 11:09 AM
Team NBP

As far as HFL locking up? Though, I have seen a service bulliten that say to replace the unit.
Does anyone know if Acura/Honda has made any updates to the HFL's firmware?

See Bulletin:
http://www.in.honda.com/Rjanisis/pubs/SB/B05-020.PDF
Old 01-10-2006, 12:37 PM
Pro

Not sure if this update solved the issue or not since I havent paired up my phone yet...but I was able to get an updated software for the 900 on Sunday...before that I was getting the same 1012 error code for software update...

Quick Reply: Sprint Samsung A900