Sources for factory match cloth, trunk carpet and directions for A-pillar removal?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2007, 05:30 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sources for factory match cloth, trunk carpet and directions for A-pillar removal?

I was just wondering if anyone here knew a good source for a close factory match to the cloth that covers the A-pillars and/or had any experience removing them? I have an anthrocite TL with black leather interior. I'm looking to glass in some tweeter mounts and overcome some of my imaging and tonality issues with the factory locations. Also, a source for a close match for trunk carpet would be appreciated.
Old 11-08-2007, 07:51 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm interested in this as well...
Old 11-08-2007, 08:45 PM
2004 SSM/EB/5AT/Navi/RSB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd be wary of messing with the A-pillars as they contain airbags. Maybe that's what you're asking about, but I thought I'd point it out just in case.
Old 11-08-2007, 08:54 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by bluenoise
I'd be wary of messing with the A-pillars as they contain airbags. Maybe that's what you're asking about, but I thought I'd point it out just in case.
Yeah...as far as I know, they're in the upper portion of the pillar, and it's possible to get a tweet in at about 6" from the dash. I don't intend to have anything but a wire lead and possibly a small part of the tweeter cup inside the pillar.
Old 11-08-2007, 09:51 PM
Burning Brakes

My installer is looking at an A-Pillar twet location as well...however, I had someone else who has build CES systems say that A-Pillar location for twets is a "popular mistake". Off topic, but what kind of system are you looking at installing?
Old 11-08-2007, 10:13 PM
Its good to be FRESH!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
dunno if you have it in your area but here we have keystone bros. they are a supplier for all materials that are used in the automotive industry. heres the link. hope this helps

http://www.keystonbros.com/intro.html
Old 11-08-2007, 10:21 PM
Burning Brakes

Thanks
Old 11-09-2007, 12:35 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by ChicoOG
My installer is looking at an A-Pillar twet location as well...however, I had someone else who has build CES systems say that A-Pillar location for twets is a "popular mistake". Off topic, but what kind of system are you looking at installing?
The system I have installed currently is a laptop PC feeding an Alpine H701 via Toslink, which processes for my JL 500/1 and 450/4. Sub is a 10w6v2, trunk mount sealed box made to manufacturer spec. Front stage is a DLS Ultimate Nobelium 6.5" two-way set. Tweets are 1" domes that are detailed without sounding harsh, imho. Factory dash locations for these tweets are problematic in the TL, as the shape of the dash, for the passenger, blocks the driver's side tweet and results in difficult tuning for that side. Not that I mind so much, but I've also tested what the response is like with a more on-axis mount for these tweets, and it's definitely better for both seats, especially near the crossover point (3.2 kHz) as well as the region above about 7 khz (I'm going by ear here, suffice it to say it sounds a lot smoother for me, without all the windshield reflections). I've also experimented with mounting them lower, near the door-mounted mids, as well as forward near the kick panels, but I'm not a fan of the problems resulting from having a high-frequency driver blocked by my legs. I have good control over TA using the H701, and a vertical frequency graduated stage has not been a difficult thing to overcome in my car with the dash-mounted tweets. The car as it sits enjoys good stage height and vocal presence, I'm most concerned about the frequency response in the high end at this point, and both imaging and staging benefit from the A-pillar locations.

There's always been arguments for/against kick panel/A-pillar tweeter mounts. Fact is, there's no "quick fix always best" solution, you just have to experiment and find what you like.
Old 11-09-2007, 12:57 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Hi There
The system I have installed currently is a laptop PC feeding an Alpine H701 via Toslink, which processes for my JL 500/1 and 450/4. Sub is a 10w6v2, trunk mount sealed box made to manufacturer spec. Front stage is a DLS Ultimate Nobelium 6.5" two-way set. Tweets are 1" domes that are detailed without sounding harsh, imho. Factory dash locations for these tweets are problematic in the TL, as the shape of the dash, for the passenger, blocks the driver's side tweet and results in difficult tuning for that side. Not that I mind so much, but I've also tested what the response is like with a more on-axis mount for these tweets, and it's definitely better for both seats, especially near the crossover point (3.2 kHz) as well as the region above about 7 khz (I'm going by ear here, suffice it to say it sounds a lot smoother for me, without all the windshield reflections). I've also experimented with mounting them lower, near the door-mounted mids, as well as forward near the kick panels, but I'm not a fan of the problems resulting from having a high-frequency driver blocked by my legs. I have good control over TA using the H701, and a vertical frequency graduated stage has not been a difficult thing to overcome in my car with the dash-mounted tweets. The car as it sits enjoys good stage height and vocal presence, I'm most concerned about the frequency response in the high end at this point, and both imaging and staging benefit from the A-pillar locations.

There's always been arguments for/against kick panel/A-pillar tweeter mounts. Fact is, there's no "quick fix always best" solution, you just have to experiment and find what you like.
I am having my system re-cong'd. Using three Zapco DC amps to power a 3 way front stage and two 10'' subs in the rear.

Front Stage: the 6.25''mids will go into the stock locations, the 4'' mid will get into a kick, and I am considering puting the tweet in the top front part of the door...we'll look at kicks and a-pillar locations as well...need to find the best sound. Stock locations are out...seem to require a ton of tuning to get it right...
Old 11-09-2007, 01:21 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by ChicoOG
I am having my system re-cong'd. Using three Zapco DC amps to power a 3 way front stage and two 10'' subs in the rear.

Front Stage: the 6.25''mids will go into the stock locations, the 4'' mid will get into a kick, and I am considering puting the tweet in the top front part of the door...we'll look at kicks and a-pillar locations as well...need to find the best sound. Stock locations are out...seem to require a ton of tuning to get it right...
I'd LOVE to go 3-way, maybe when I find the time....but to be honest, I'd probably try to do an A-pillar mid/tweet mount. That would minimize same-side path length differences through the vocal range, while giving great stage height. If I went that far, though, I'd be remiss not to do something with an 8" midbass in the doors or kicks...nice and low crossover up front. The nobellium 2-ways I have have no trouble down to around where I have them crossed over at 56 Hz, but I'd like to go to 40 and even things out a little for a less localizable sub.

I'm jealous!

Say, have you tried out that little triangle by the midbass factory door mount location, right ahead of your door pocket storage, as a candidate for tweeter placement? Struck me as a good candidate, but didn't work quite as well for me as the a-pillars. Wide stage, but for me was too far rearward. You might give it a try, tho, and build a small pod for your tweeters there. Near-zero PLD with the mid-basses, and easy to blend into the door panel, at least.
Old 11-09-2007, 08:09 AM
Burning Brakes

Hmmmm...I'll have to check that location out...one suggestion made is to wire up the tweet, fire up the system and, by hand, place the tweet in different locations: dash, kicks, top of door, a-pillar on-axis and off-axis...we should get a good idea of the best sounding location that way. Ausethically, I think it will look best and most unique on the top front part of the door just below the metalic strip or on top of that strip...won't know for sure until we take the door panel off.

The installer I've got doing this is incredible, has at least one of his projects features in "performance car and audio"...should be real sweet, he starts Nov. 26th and said he'll have the car for two weeks. I'll post pics when done
Old 01-30-2008, 03:00 AM
Intermediate

Any updates? I'm doing some searching around looking for some different ideas with my system as well.

I'd love to go with a 3-way active system, but I haven't quite decided where to mount anything, if it's possible at all. I was thinking possibly a good place to mount a 3" midrange is just above the map pocket, flush mounted against the leather. Dynaudio makes a great 3" midrange with a nice looking dome grill. The tweeters could either be mounted in the dash (not likely, but at least worth a try) or high in the doors just in front of the power door lock buttons. Heck, they might even fit down near where I was thinking of mounting the midranges. Of course, I haven't even popped the door panels off to see what's behind them in terms of cutting into them. I don't think any configuration is perfectly "ideal", but I will have control of the individual crossover points, phase, and output levels for all speakers, so I might be able to tune it fairly well.

As far as kick panels go, is there a commercially available option out there I don't know about? Has anyone made their own with decent success?

Has anyone managed to fit some 8" midbasses in the stock door locations?

Tony