SO many questions! Navi, DVD, Rear Back up Camera

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2011, 12:31 AM
TL-S

Received 413 Likes on 366 Posts
SO many questions! Navi, DVD, Rear Back up Camera

Hey all!

So I just bought an 04 TL with Navi. I'm picking it up this weekend hopefully and want to buy all the parts for all the mods I want to do and hopefully work on it this weekend.

I've been searching (i swear!) for a couple hours all over this Forum and on what exactly to do. I want to add Backup camera and Possibly a DVD Player to my stock set up. I should add that the car already has a USA Spec ipod input...

Can someone PLEASE tell me what parts i need exactly and how much it would run me to do this? I saw a few DIYs but didnt see any with a clear price.

I checked tvandnav2go.com for "Doms Unit" which i heard so much about, but couldn't find a price on their website.
I also couldnt find "wendys" camera anywhere...

ANY help is much appreciated.
Old 01-12-2011, 12:45 PM
TL-S

No help guys?

I know a lot of people here have done this mod... I'm just trying to figure out what exactly I need and how much it'll cost me...
Old 01-12-2011, 12:49 PM

Received 16,267 Likes on 11,974 Posts
sales@TVandNav2Go.com or call us at 718-763-7367
I would email them or call to find out the exact pricing.
Go straight to the source instead of asking third parties(us)

also, if you can find a used Doms unit, they go anywhere from 100-200 depending on the seller and how quick he needs to let go.

Lastly, have you checked ebay? I know that tvandnav2go is a seller on ebay.

I also believe that backup cameras change with technology, if youve been reading those old threads then most likely the wendys cam has been discontinued.
Search around for Big Boyo's backup cam.
if you cant find wendys or big boyos, im sure another brand of backup cam would work just the same. Just make sure it has the same general dimensions. Hell these new cams are probably 10x better than wendys.

Basically, use the DIY as a guide. and piece together your own system.

Last edited by justnspace; 01-12-2011 at 01:00 PM.
Old 01-12-2011, 12:59 PM

I am not familiar with the USA isimple, but i'm sure it has the audio inputs (since it plays the ipod)
but I went with a different set up. I use pie x3 for audio and instead of the doms unit, i picked up A/V electronics unit with 4 or 5 inputs. as the DOms unit only allows like 2, if i remember correctly.

Last edited by justnspace; 01-12-2011 at 01:02 PM.
Old 01-12-2011, 07:02 PM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm in the same boat as the OP. However, I've decided to remove the original CD changer and replace it with a double-din console. Is the dash kit all I need? How about harnesses?
Old 01-12-2011, 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by nemoxfishy
I'm in the same boat as the OP. However, I've decided to remove the original CD changer and replace it with a double-din console. Is the dash kit all I need? How about harnesses?
you are in a completely different boat than the OP.
Dont know what a dash kit is, and what harness?
Old 01-12-2011, 08:48 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,016 Likes on 1,435 Posts
Originally Posted by quanaman
Hey all!

So I just bought an 04 TL with Navi. I'm picking it up this weekend hopefully and want to buy all the parts for all the mods I want to do and hopefully work on it this weekend.

I've been searching (i swear!) for a couple hours all over this Forum and on what exactly to do. I want to add Backup camera and Possibly a DVD Player to my stock set up. I should add that the car already has a USA Spec ipod input...

Can someone PLEASE tell me what parts i need exactly and how much it would run me to do this? I saw a few DIYs but didnt see any with a clear price.

I checked tvandnav2go.com for "Doms Unit" which i heard so much about, but couldn't find a price on their website.
I also couldnt find "wendys" camera anywhere...

ANY help is much appreciated.
Congrats on your new acquisition! Dom's unit is pretty good and not as expensive as some other units on the market. I paid 225 for the Plug and Play version a few years ago, like 3 or so, so it should be around there. Mention acurazine and they should further give a discount!

Wendy's camera is few and far now, the best thing to do is look at a license plate light camera if you want it stealthy. If you don't really mind, the BOYO license plate frame camera is pretty decent.

As far as the USA-SPEC unit goes, I have one as well and it can be your friend or enemy! Ask the current owner where it's located so you can run wires from your DVD player to it to connect an audio source. My recommendation is to run some good shielded cables into one area of the car and set up a "hub" there so you can easily access it and plug in say an Ipod or cellphone or other video/audio source without an issue.

Originally Posted by nemoxfishy
It might be better for you to create your own thread and also include what type of TL you have (year, navi/non-navi, etc).
Old 01-12-2011, 11:33 PM
TL-S

csmeance:

Thanks for your input; awesome info! I actually lucked out and got it early; the seller dropped it off today!

Do i need to run any additional wires to the USA spec? Im 90% sure its behind the dash; the wire is coming out of the lower cubby hole I believe. I guess what I'm asking is if the backup camera or DVD player also needs to be plugged into that?

I REALLY like the camera used in some of these guy's accords. I used to have an 03 non navi accord coupe. Do you think this would work on a TL? The install is very clean and I love how it just replaces a lightl; no drilling or dremel necessary. I think it looks the same but I'm not sure if any members here have done it:

http://www./forums/showthread.php?t=...=backup+camera
Old 01-13-2011, 01:24 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 45 Posts
op im in the same situation as you.
I am getting a navi installed soon and i want to put the backup camera
I want to know what else I wil need to get the backup camera to work
Old 01-13-2011, 02:21 AM
TL-S

sorry.

here are some pics where they used a NICE, stealthy camera on an 06 accord coupe. any idea of this would work for our cars?

Last edited by quanaman; 01-13-2011 at 02:23 AM.
Old 01-13-2011, 01:33 PM
Drifting

Received 209 Likes on 170 Posts
^Thats a cool camera---me likey!
Dom's unit is nice. I have the NavTool---very similar unit. I also have the Boyo VTK350. Its a rather large camera, but it has been reliable and gives a nice quality image.
I use the Blitzsafe for audio input. No DVD at this time, but that will change when I install my CarPC.
Congrats and good luck, OP!
Old 01-13-2011, 05:23 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,016 Likes on 1,435 Posts
Originally Posted by quanaman
csmeance:

Thanks for your input; awesome info! I actually lucked out and got it early; the seller dropped it off today!

Do i need to run any additional wires to the USA spec? Im 90% sure its behind the dash; the wire is coming out of the lower cubby hole I believe. I guess what I'm asking is if the backup camera or DVD player also needs to be plugged into that?

I REALLY like the camera used in some of these guy's accords. I used to have an 03 non navi accord coupe. Do you think this would work on a TL? The install is very clean and I love how it just replaces a lightl; no drilling or dremel necessary. I think it looks the same but I'm not sure if any members here have done it:

http://www./forums/showthread.php?t=...=backup+camera
There are 4 wires that connect to the USA-SPEC, the Radio harness, the Ipod connector Jack and then the Red/White RCA jacks.

By cubby hole, do you mean the center console's 2 storage bins? If yes, how much cord can you pull out for the ipod hookup? If it's about 2 feet it's probably under the cupholders like my install.

In any case, since you are hooking up a DVD player, you are going to want to get 2 shielded RCA cords and connect them to the USA SPEC unit and run them to wherever you are putting your DVD player. The Backup Camera will NOT be connected to the USA SPEC unit as that is for audio only, and the camera doesn't give out audio.

That camera looks pretty cool, the only thing I'd be worried about is someone trying to pull on it and steal it. I'm wondering though if it'd work since our lights are recessed a good amount in. Maybe you might want to measure the depth of the stock light and the camera and see if it'll work.

Originally Posted by mrlal8
op im in the same situation as you.
I am getting a navi installed soon and i want to put the backup camera
I want to know what else I wil need to get the backup camera to work
FYI for both of you guys, all you need is a video adapter like Dom's TVNAV2Go, Navtool, etc. and an audio adapter like USASPEC, DICE, Isimple, etc.

There is a DIY to installing the USA-SPEC and as well the TVANDNAV2GO in the 3G Service Garage!