Security/Alarm/Anti theft system recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2006, 02:00 PM
User Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Security/Alarm/Anti theft system recommendations

Does any one have any suggestion on additional security systems? Maybe lojack or an after market alarm system to compliment the stock one. Any suggestions? I did a search but didn't find anything.
Old 02-20-2006, 07:39 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm using the Viper 791 for Alarm/remote start and love it. Very reliable so far.
Old 02-20-2006, 08:00 PM
User Registered

Thanks for the info. Yeah I was thinking about the viper or the python with the 2-way responder I definitely like that feature. I also want a starter kill. Do you disable the stock alarm or is it still activated also? I did a search but did not find much feedback if people were satisfied or not.
Old 02-21-2006, 12:50 AM
Mobile Elec. Guru

I have had the Viper, The Python, the Avital, Hornet, and now the Clifford 2-way with remote start, and to be honest they are all the same. In fact everytime i switched, all i had to do was unplug the brain to the old one and plug in the new one. The are minute differences in some of the features, but in my expireinces they all do all the same things. the only major diffence is there are some places that don't offer the lifetime warranty on the Avital, but otherwise the only difference between is the qulaity of the installer.
Old 02-21-2006, 08:23 AM
Team Anthracite Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I installed a Compustar and then the Viper in my car. I LOVE the Viper, didn't like the Compustar. When doing the install, use bypasskits to make your life easier.
Old 02-21-2006, 09:21 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by mbdurham
Does any one have any suggestion on additional security systems? Maybe lojack or an after market alarm system to compliment the stock one. Any suggestions? I did a search but didn't find anything.
I used to own a GMC Typhoon. If you don't know what that is it was a limited editing Jimmy with a 4.3L turbocharged/intercooled engine, full time 4WD, body kit, wheels,... Very rare.

I was always paranoid that it was going to be stolen. I thought of Lojack, alarms, lots of stuff but in my mind I always came back to the fact that a real thief is going to get around all of these things and joy riders are just going to trash the car. So what to do?

I have never heard of anyone else doing this but being an engineer I thought how can I make this car impossible to move? My solution, I pulled the fuse to the fuel pump any time I left the car. No fuel, no movement, period.

Now a lot of people will say that's stupid, all you need to do is replace the fuse. I always bet on the fact that a joy rider isn't going to even lookd for a problem when the car doesn't start, he'll bail immediatley, and a real thief will look for an ignition switch or something and is probably not going to take the time to diagnose the problem all the way down to looking at fuses.

Anyway, it may be stupid but my Typhoon was never stolen and it gave me peace of mind.
Old 02-21-2006, 09:24 AM
Team Anthracite Member

Here in Canada, when they want to steal a car (historically, it's often an Integra or a Civic) they just put the car on a flatbed or tow it. With transponder systems, it's VERY hard to hotwire a car. So in that case, the only kind of alarm that would help would be one that detects movement before they have a chance to bypass it. In the end, every alarm is defeatable. They are really just deterrents. You gotta find the best one.
Old 02-21-2006, 09:57 AM
Three Wheelin'

get one with a pager alarm,and look into a tilt sensor in case they want to tow your car like the post above states......Also i have a back up battery alarm and a internal siren.The internal siren is under the dash so it would make it uncomfortable to stay inside my car for too long,REALLY LOUD
Old 02-21-2006, 10:06 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by slapmesilly
I used to own a GMC Typhoon. If you don't know what that is it was a limited editing Jimmy with a 4.3L turbocharged/intercooled engine, full time 4WD, body kit, wheels,... Very rare.

I was always paranoid that it was going to be stolen. I thought of Lojack, alarms, lots of stuff but in my mind I always came back to the fact that a real thief is going to get around all of these things and joy riders are just going to trash the car. So what to do?

I have never heard of anyone else doing this but being an engineer I thought how can I make this car impossible to move? My solution, I pulled the fuse to the fuel pump any time I left the car. No fuel, no movement, period.

Now a lot of people will say that's stupid, all you need to do is replace the fuse. I always bet on the fact that a joy rider isn't going to even lookd for a problem when the car doesn't start, he'll bail immediatley, and a real thief will look for an ignition switch or something and is probably not going to take the time to diagnose the problem all the way down to looking at fuses.

Anyway, it may be stupid but my Typhoon was never stolen and it gave me peace of mind.

Do you think you can do a DIY on how too remove this fuse from a TL,if you own one.I was really interested in Ignition kill but your idea seems easier.

BTW I dont think its stupid sounds like a good idea
Old 02-21-2006, 11:27 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Phesto
Do you think you can do a DIY on how too remove this fuse from a TL,if you own one.I was really interested in Ignition kill but your idea seems easier.

BTW I dont think its stupid sounds like a good idea
Phesto,

I do have a TL, 2 weeks old now

It wasn't hard at all on the Typhoon. I'll check my TL manual and see if I can locate the correct fuse. Then it would just be a matter of pulling the fuse and walking away.

I don't think any of the electronics would be monitoring that circuit with the car off so it shouldn't be a problem.
Old 02-21-2006, 11:30 AM
Three Wheelin'

ok sounds good.i have a 2g it might be a lttle diff. but im going to look into it
Old 02-21-2006, 06:45 PM
User Registered

thanks for the info. the Clifford, Viper, and Python all have the same features including ignition kills and tilit sensors on the Directed.com website. I believe they make them all. I know that no alarm will make the car 100% theft proof but I think every little bit helps. The car is garaged at home and work is not an issue but I would like the added peace of mind knowing that while me and the wifey are out eating dinner if somebody messes with the car I will be notified and hopefully not find it missing or damaged when we stroll out of the restaurant. Besides the insurance company will pay for the car but probably not 5-10k worth of mods. I really just wanted to know what the best alarms on the market are now and if you were satisfied with your choice. It seems like most of you who chose one of the 3 listed above are happy with your choice.
Old 02-21-2006, 07:39 PM
Advanced

I guess if somebody wants the car they will find a way to take it. But wouldnt it be really hard for a thief to start the engine for a TL, without the key? doesnt the key have a chip inside that pairs with the cars computer to start the engine?
Old 02-21-2006, 07:48 PM
Pro

clifford rsx 3.5 all the way...or the viper 791xv...bets two choices...
Old 02-21-2006, 08:21 PM
User Registered

I believe the viper 791xv only comes w/ one 2-way remote so I was thinking about adding on a 1-way but will the memory settings for the seat and mirrors still work with the remotes?
Old 02-21-2006, 08:31 PM
User Registered

Just noticed it looks like the Viper 5000 is the same as the 791xv except it has 1 2-way and 1 1-way remote but no remote start (really couldn't use the remote start anyway) and it is almost $200 cheaper.
Old 02-23-2006, 12:11 PM
Instructor

I took the mobileguardian over lojack. You can track your TL via satelille on your PC, you can also set a speed limit if you lend it to someone and you will get a txt msg if they go over the limit, and my fav is that you will get a txt msg as soon as someone breaks into your car.
Old 02-23-2006, 12:23 PM
FOR SALE - BM

I have the Piper alarm system.. its a real life crack head that sits under my car and when anyone comes close to it he pops out and weilds a hypodermic needle.. i give him a few dollars for 40's... jk... i am going to instal a fuel kill switch in line directly with the fuel pump. so, when i get out of the car i hit a switch hidden from all and if someone were to try to strart the car it would just crank and nothing would happen... when i get back in hit theswitch again and it starts right away... its a really cheap deterent. just need a switch and a couple of relays, and an immagination of where to hide the switch..
Old 02-23-2006, 12:56 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by drdamian
I have the Piper alarm system.. its a real life crack head that sits under my car and when anyone comes close to it he pops out and weilds a hypodermic needle.. i give him a few dollars for 40's... jk... i am going to instal a fuel kill switch in line directly with the fuel pump. so, when i get out of the car i hit a switch hidden from all and if someone were to try to strart the car it would just crank and nothing would happen... when i get back in hit theswitch again and it starts right away... its a really cheap deterent. just need a switch and a couple of relays, and an immagination of where to hide the switch..
arent u concerned he might scratch your car or get it dirty?
Old 02-24-2006, 02:11 PM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
for the fuse removing procedure, i was thinking that an alternative to that would be to wire a switchable fuse in there. dont know if this exists...but someone may know better. basically this would be a circuit that ran from connector to connector in the fusebox and had a fused switch that you hide somewhere inconsipcuous...just a thought
Old 02-24-2006, 02:13 PM
Three Wheelin'

i have the clifford rsx 3.5
Old 02-24-2006, 05:32 PM
User Registered

Do the memory settings for the seat and mirrors still work with the remotes on the clifford?
Old 02-26-2006, 08:24 PM
Team Anthracite Member

I wired my alarm to trigger the seat memory button 1 in the door so the seat and mirror move into position 1 when I disarm the alarm. But to do that, you have to run a wire into the door. That's a bit tricky...
Old 02-26-2006, 09:12 PM
Racer

I am selling a DEI Automate 415 car alarm that intergrates with your factory alarm. This will make it a full alarm system and you don't lose your factory remotes. Since it's the sameone sold by the dealer, you won't have to worry about the dealer giving any warranty hassle about installing non dealer parts.

https://acurazine.com/forums/car-parts-sale-361/sale-dei-415-automate-car-alarm-add-332797/

Has a dual stage adjustable shock sensor (*if someone kick, tapped, bump or so forth, the alarm willl go off*), starter kill, red led, owner and installation manual with warranty card. It's the same one sold at the Acura dealer for $500 bucks.

It will integrate into just about any other make also.
Old 02-26-2006, 09:16 PM
Racer

I am selling a DEI Automate 415 car alarm that intergrates with your factory alarm. This will make it a full alarm system and you don't lose your factory remotes. Since it's the sameone sold by the dealer, you won't have to worry about the dealer giving any warranty hassle about installing non dealer parts.

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=332797

Has a dual stage adjustable shock sensor (*if someone kick, tapped, bump or so forth, the alarm willl go off*), starter kill, red led, owner and installation manual with warranty card. It's the same one sold at the Acura dealer for $500 bucks.

It will integrate into just about any other make also.
Old 02-27-2006, 12:03 AM
Cold & Cocky

Originally Posted by mbdurham
Just noticed it looks like the Viper 5000 is the same as the 791xv except it has 1 2-way and 1 1-way remote but no remote start (really couldn't use the remote start anyway) and it is almost $200 cheaper.

Actually, it looks like the 5000 does not have remote start. That probably accounts for the drop in price.
Old 02-27-2006, 02:46 PM
Three Wheelin'

has anyone looked into those Boots you can buy.........Its like the one metermaids will put on your car if you don't pay your tickets
Old 02-27-2006, 02:52 PM
Intermediate

I know I'm fairly new to this. But what's wrong with the alarm system that came with the TL? How much more do you get with Viper, <insert your favorite brand here>
Old 02-28-2006, 07:32 PM
User Registered

Got a installed price of $390 for the Viper 5000 and $500 for the 791. The 5000 is the 791 w/o remote start and it comes with 2 remotes. I don't need remote start anyway the car is garaged but I do need the extra remote. I believe I will be getting the 5000. The main plus for me with the viper is the 2 way notification.
Old 03-01-2006, 12:51 AM
Yardie

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
I have a clifford matrix rsx 3.5. I installed it with one of those data interface modules, so when it disarms the factory alarm, it also resets the seat to position 1.