Sanyo Katana

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2006, 12:34 AM
Team Anthracite #100

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sanyo Katana

I need some help here. I just switched over to the Sanyo Katana from the A-920. I am stuck with Sprint so another carrier is not an option. I also paired my S/E T610 when I was with T-Mobile. Both of those phones automatically connected to the car when I got in. For some reason, the only way I can get the Katana to link is by manually connecting using the phone. My Bluetooth settings are as follows:
Enable/Disable: Enable
Visibility: Always visible
Voice Priority: Hands-free
Permissions: Hands-free- Always allow, Dial-up Networking- Ask, Object Push- Ask

I have tried different settings, but it doesn't seem to matter. I have cleared both the car and the phone, and then re-paired them. No change. Do you think it could be the phone? Perhaps the HFL is acting up?

I was looking forward to having a "full feature" phone. The A-920 never worked right. That must be why Acura never approved it. It caused a complete freeze up on more than one occasion. But it always linked up automatically for me.

Any thoughts?

TIA K-Bom
Old 11-27-2006, 02:40 PM
Instructor

It sounds like its the phone. I have the Katana with the same exact settings and it automatically connects when I start the car and disconnects when I'm far away. Its awesome having the battery and signal on the MID!!
Old 11-27-2006, 02:54 PM
Banned

I currently have the Samsung a900 and was thinking about switching to the Sanyo Katana. I'm tired of having a bluetooth-enabled cell phone and not being able to use it with the car's HFL system However, after reading a few reviews it appears that I'll be making a step backward if I was to do that (going from the A900 to the Katana that is)
Old 11-27-2006, 03:43 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 594 Likes on 457 Posts
Originally Posted by TriniBwoy
I currently have the Samsung a900 and was thinking about switching to the Sanyo Katana. I'm tired of having a bluetooth-enabled cell phone and not being able to use it with the car's HFL system However, after reading a few reviews it appears that I'll be making a step backward if I was to do that (going from the A900 to the Katana that is)
I have the A900 and the only thing I cannot do is to hang up a call from the steering wheel, it works fine otherwise, not concerned about signal and battery level not showing on mid
Old 11-27-2006, 07:27 PM
Team Anthracite #100

It works!

Well, not sure what I did, but it seems to work now. I decided to try my old A-920. It always connected automatically so I thought I could eliminate the car being the problem. I paired the car and A-920 per the instructions. It seemed to work, but now I had the battery indicator???? I asked the car for a "status" and it said the A-920 was paired. I then asked for a "list" of paired phones. It listed only the A-920, my Katana was no longer listed. I turned off the A-920 and still had a phone paired. The whole time my Katana was in my pocket. I turned the car off then back on and sure enough, it pairs automatically now.
I'm really confused t this point. Maybe I need to quit smoking those funny cigarettes?
K-Bom
Old 11-27-2006, 08:41 PM
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
I have a Katana and love it so far. It is a little more qwerky than my rock-solid LG PM-325 (may it rest in peace) .. but it works well enough most of the time that I don't notice it. I'm really surprised that the LG, an early gen bluetooth phone was more reliable than this Katana.
Old 11-27-2006, 09:25 PM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Love the Katana

I finally broke down and bought the Katana. I wanted all the features of the car and phone to work together, as well as certain features on the phone. Mine paired with first time, and paired the second time (I just had my HFL upgraded "under warranty") and I have had no problems or issues at all.

BTW the upgrade has greatly improved the interface between driver and car in terms of recognizing voice commands.
Old 11-27-2006, 10:29 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by pohljm
I have the A900 and the only thing I cannot do is to hang up a call from the steering wheel, it works fine otherwise, not concerned about signal and battery level not showing on mid
You don't get any phantom calls?

I should have said that the phantom calls and not being able to hang up from the steering wheel are what I can't stand. Like you said, the signal and battery level is not a big deal. But the phantom calls...I really couldn't stand it anymore. I have the latest firmware too.
Old 11-28-2006, 03:09 PM
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
what exactly is the HFL "upgrade"??
Old 11-28-2006, 07:52 PM
Suzuka Master

You don't get any phantom calls?

I should have said that the phantom calls and not being able to hang up from the steering wheel are what I can't stand. Like you said, the signal and battery level is not a big deal. But the phantom calls...I really couldn't stand it anymore. I have the latest firmware too.
You have firmware ZB12? I had a problem with phantom calls alongtime ago when I downgraded the firmware thinking it would solve the hang up issue, that version did not solve the hang up issue and was plagued with phantom calls so I had the latest firmware installed and all is well as far as phantom calls go. check your phone.........settings/phone information/version should be ZB12.
Old 11-30-2006, 02:06 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by pohljm
You have firmware ZB12? I had a problem with phantom calls alongtime ago when I downgraded the firmware thinking it would solve the hang up issue, that version did not solve the hang up issue and was plagued with phantom calls so I had the latest firmware installed and all is well as far as phantom calls go. check your phone.........settings/phone information/version should be ZB12.
I actually had this same question for you in another thread "Sanyo Katana". Basically I cannot upgrade to ZB12. I'm trying to upgrade from ZA06 on the phone itself by selecting Settings->Others->Update Phone Software, but I keep getting the message, "No firmware update available". Maybe I need to visit a local Sprint store and have them do it...any thoughts?
Old 11-30-2006, 03:04 PM
Intermediate

I have a different problem with my HFL and Katana (I have not used any other phones, so I don't know if it the phone or the HFL).

When I want to make a call I will hit the button by the steering when and say "Call xxx-xxx-xxxx" a few seconds later the number willl come up on the display and it will say Options are ......

If I say "Dial" at that point nothing happens - it does not dial the number.

If I hit the connect button the system will beep and I can then say "Dial" and it will dial.

If this correct? Shouldn't I be able to say dial right after the number comes up on the display and it will dial without having to hit the button again?

Thanks,
Mike
Old 11-30-2006, 03:55 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by PeterUbers
I have a Katana and love it so far. It is a little more qwerky than my rock-solid LG PM-325 (may it rest in peace) .. but it works well enough most of the time that I don't notice it. I'm really surprised that the LG, an early gen bluetooth phone was more reliable than this Katana.
I kept dropping incoming calls on my LG PM325. I would answer with the HFL, but my radio music would come back on as if I wasn't connected. Other person could hear music, but not me. Sprint tells me they are having many problems with the LG, and replaced mine with the Katana (provided I sign up for another two years, and two hours of BS with the worthless customer service dept.).
Anyway, Katana works much better for me than the LG
Old 11-30-2006, 03:56 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by cyclonemike
I have a different problem with my HFL and Katana (I have not used any other phones, so I don't know if it the phone or the HFL).

When I want to make a call I will hit the button by the steering when and say "Call xxx-xxx-xxxx" a few seconds later the number willl come up on the display and it will say Options are ......

If I say "Dial" at that point nothing happens - it does not dial the number.

If I hit the connect button the system will beep and I can then say "Dial" and it will dial.

If this correct? Shouldn't I be able to say dial right after the number comes up on the display and it will dial without having to hit the button again?

Thanks,
Mike
Yep, that's normal. Gotta push the button each time you enter a command
Old 11-30-2006, 11:10 PM
Team Anthracite #100

Originally Posted by PeterUbers
what exactly is the HFL "upgrade"??
There is an Acura Service Bulletin out for the '04. SB 05-020. Here is the link to the thread:
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...ghlight=05-020

I had my dealer order a new HFL unit today. Hope it works better.
Old 12-02-2006, 01:27 AM
Suzuka Master

I actually had this same question for you in another thread "Sanyo Katana". Basically I cannot upgrade to ZB12. I'm trying to upgrade from ZA06 on the phone itself by selecting Settings->Others->Update Phone Software, but I keep getting the message, "No firmware update available". Maybe I need to visit a local Sprint store and have them do it...any thoughts?
I have the solution to all your problems! read this post

https://acurazine.com/forums/religion-politics-18/democratic-national-convention-148888/