Replace Bluetooth Module

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2010, 06:22 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Replace Bluetooth Module

I need to replace my bluetooth module (05' TL).

I called and they told me that the bluetooth module needed to be replaced.

I have two questions;

1. Where can I purchase one of these?
2. Is it easy to replace? Where is it located?

I really love using my bluetooth. I am disapointed that this is not working.

Thank you in advance. Enjoy reading this forum.

Last edited by DWDYEM2001; 09-16-2010 at 06:30 PM.
Old 09-17-2010, 04:32 PM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Check out this link :

http://techinfo.honda.com/Rjanisis/pubs/SB/B05-020.PDF

Tells you where it is and how to replace it. This is one common problem. Wish there was some aftermarket solution to this.

Maybe the moderator can combine all these threads since everyone is asking the same question.
Old 09-18-2010, 04:33 AM
Intermediate

fkhan,

My problem isn't that the hands free link isn't working. It's working fine. I can use the handsfree navigation and supply voice commands just fine. My only problem is that the bluetooth module isn't regonizing any phones and won't pair. So, I really only need to replace the bluetooth module, which apparently is located above the moonroof switch (according to the PDF file).

Do you know where I can order a new bluetooth module?

Lou
Old 09-18-2010, 05:00 AM
Intermediate

I am assuming this is the part I need (please tell me if I am correct):
http://www.acurapartswarehouse.com/o...SEP-A02ZA.html

If it is, I def. want to put this module in myself as the cost at my dealer was over $650 I am not paying the dealer over $750 to put something in that should cost $100 in the first place.
Old 09-18-2010, 10:27 AM
Cruisin'

The hands free link is the Bluetooth module. As Acura describes it it is what allows you to make a hands free call. It is different from the navigation voice commands. The symptom of the Hfl not working is when you press the phone button you get no response. In addition the hfl will say booting up and drain your battery.

I think you have the right part. Just make sure it is the right color because it comes as a unit with the outside plastic trim. Your best bet is to take it out and check the part number. If you can wait they are a lot cheaper on eBay.
Old 09-20-2010, 07:42 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have the same issue with my Bluetooth/HFL: the voice commands are working properly with the navigation system and the radio/climate controls; however, when I push the call button on the steering wheel, there is no response from the system. Fkhan, did you order your part from the AcuraPartsWarehouse.com site, or did you find another elsewhere for a lower price.

Also, to anyone out there, is there a remedy that can fix the problem without replacing the HFL unit?

Thanks!
-John
Old 09-21-2010, 06:16 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by fkhan27
The hands free link is the Bluetooth module. As Acura describes it it is what allows you to make a hands free call. It is different from the navigation voice commands. The symptom of the Hfl not working is when you press the phone button you get no response. In addition the hfl will say booting up and drain your battery.
I do get a response when I push the call button. If I push the button and try to make a call, it says "no phones have been found". However, I am no longer able to pair a phone with the system.
Old 09-21-2010, 08:14 PM
10th Gear

I've been having the "booting up" problem for the past couple months. Don't wanna spend the $$ to replace it since it isn't all that important to me. Does anyone know if simply disconnecting the module and leaving it unplugged will cause probems? I'm thinking about doing this just in order to keep the battery from draining on me.
Old 09-21-2010, 09:45 PM
Cruisin'

NorwegianTL. I did not buy the part yet even for $470 that seems high for something that is rarely used. I am waiting for it on ebay, it goes for about 160 on there.

I think after seeing how many people have this problem the part itself is defective so why pay $470 dollars for something that is probably going to break anyhow.

Like someone else is asking I am just going to disconnect it so it wont drain my battery. If I find a good deal on ebay I will replace it.
Old 09-21-2010, 09:58 PM
10th Gear

Just disconnected hfl module due to "booting" problem and it took about 5 minutes and I'll rest easy knowing my battery isn't draining constantly when car is parked. Cheap quick "fix" until I can find a good deal on a new module.
Old 09-21-2010, 10:00 PM
2004 Acura TL

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
check out acurapartsoem.com its like $250 ish for the module last I checked.
Old 09-22-2010, 02:03 PM
10th Gear

OK, well now I'm stumped. Last night I disconnected the module, left it unplugged and put the map light etc. assembly back together and in place. Hit the MID and it says "No Information" under HandsFree Link.

I did this in order to stop the module from "booting up" and draining my battery while my car is parked, so problem somewhat solved. (I can live without HFL. Can't live with a dead battery)

I get in the car this morning and out of habit put my hand on the shroud below where the module resides and it feels warm––just like before when it was stuck booting.

Check the HandsFreeLink on MID and sure enough it's "Booting Up"!!

Now what? I really don't wanna spend $$ to fix this feature I never use.

Last edited by boo'swar; 09-22-2010 at 02:06 PM.
Old 09-22-2010, 02:06 PM
Cruisin'

If it was $250 I would buy it. But it is not it is 477 on acurapartsoem.com and 466.29 on acurapartswarehouse.com.

The real problem is you have to replace the whole HFL as a unit, you cannot just replace the bluetooth module unless you purchase it on ebay.

I tried disconnecting it today and the problem is that your map lights won't work, and you homelink system wont work as well. I use the homelink system to open my garage so disconnecting it would not help me.
Old 09-22-2010, 02:31 PM
10th Gear

fkhan27, after I disconnected the module I checked to make sure the map lights worked and they did. There are 3 plugs under there total:
1 for the roof switch
1 for the maplights and homelink assembly
1 goes right to the module itself

Are you sure you disco'd the right one?

Last edited by boo'swar; 09-22-2010 at 02:35 PM.
Old 09-22-2010, 02:43 PM
10th Gear

I'm baffled as to why mine remains stuck booting. The only thing I can think of is, it's theoretically possible that when I put the assembly back together the harness ended up back in contact with the plug (it's pretty tight little area). Highly unlikely, I know, but I'm gonna open it up again today and put elec tape over the harness to ensure no connection.

Last edited by boo'swar; 09-22-2010 at 02:45 PM.
Old 09-23-2010, 01:52 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by navarretg
check out acurapartsoem.com its like $250 ish for the module last I checked.
I dont see it for $250. I called and they said it was $475.

Again, my problem is not with the booting. It operates just fine. I just can't pair any phones to it.
Old 09-23-2010, 01:55 PM
Intermediate

This place has it for $395:
http://www.dealerdirectparts.com/TL-...-a02za-ua6.htm
Old 09-23-2010, 05:57 PM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
does it let you begin the process of paring a phone? or does not give you options at all? with my iphone, i had to try paring it a few times.
Old 09-24-2010, 08:18 PM
Intermediate

Mine went out as well. I will be contacting some local junkyards for price. I will update.
Old 09-25-2010, 02:25 PM
Cruisin'

My 2005 HFL has stopped pairing. It all seems to work, but does not locate the phone. Is the signal generation inside the Unit and the solution to all HFL issues is to replace the Unit? Thanks.
Old 09-29-2010, 11:39 AM
Cruisin'

Hey thanks for the info: Just had a chance to get back in the car and your are right I did not disconnect the bluetooth. My car has four plugs. The first is for the sunroof, the second a big green one is for the homelink system and map light, the third a small blue one looks like it was for the bluetooth but it actually connects to the rear view mirror. The last one another big one is connected to the bluetooth module. You actually have to unscrew the bolts and remove the whole trim piece to see the bluetooth unit and disconnect this large green plug. I had not removed the bolts and disconnected what I thought was the bluetooth harness but it was for the rear view mirror.

Booswar I dont think you disconnected the bluetooth unit. You have to remove the bolts and get out the whole trim piece steps 3 and 4 in the instructions to remove the bluetooth. You were probably doing what I was doing and only going up to step two and thinking the homelink system was the bluetooth system.

When I removed it I noticed that bluetooth module is awfully hot. I am keeping it disconnected until I get a new unit.

I did notice on the acura service bulletin page, it says if the date is illegible, completely missing, or prior to august 18/204 then replace the unit. Mine is illegible you cannot make out the year, wonder if I could make them replace it based on this statement.
Old 10-02-2010, 08:37 PM
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I have 06 TL and just had the HFL replaced. Had most of the same symptoms-at first HFL would not pair (phone had been previously paired for 3 years), then could not find any phones, then phone button on steering wheel went dead. A lot of dead HFL modules are cropping up as an issue as it is an expensive repair when out of warranty. 06 TLs are fast falling out of warranty (and 4 years seems to be the life span of an HFL unit).

All new (or are they really refurbs) HFL units are supposed to have firmware update that stops dead battery syndrone (DBS). DBS is supposed to be more of an 07-08 issue as there is a specific TBS for those years. Dealer told me that it is not possible to update firmware in older modules-they have to be replaced. In general, if your car is not covered by the TSB-they will not replace it under warranty (assuming you are in warranty) unless it has failed completely. 06 TLs are not covered by either TSB.

Honda has a quality issue either in the design or manufacture of HFL. MSRP is $650-$710 depending on what color interior you have. I get the impression that they have done alot of warranty repairs since 2004-and they are making customers share the cost once they are out of warranty.

Does any know if there is a way to tell if the ebay HFL modules are the old defective modules or the new modules with the firmware update?
The following 2 users liked this post by U3A6:
Racewalker (01-16-2012), RaiderJuan (08-11-2011)
Old 10-04-2010, 05:15 PM
10th Gear

Booswar I dont think you disconnected the bluetooth unit. You have to remove the bolts and get out the whole trim piece steps 3 and 4 in the instructions to remove the bluetooth. You were probably doing what I was doing and only going up to step two and thinking the homelink system was the bluetooth system.
No, sorry I wasn't entirely clear. I did disconnect the module and actually had it laying in my lap when I checked to MID. Even then I got BOOTING UP. So, it seems that the computer is attempting to boot the HFL but if the module is dead (or unplugged) the computer just keeps trying and failing due to module. I thought before that the module itself was booting up but that seems not to be the case.
Old 10-05-2010, 10:04 AM
6th Gear

Any ideas where to get the HFL module for cheap not trying to pay over 700 at the dealer
Old 10-05-2010, 10:56 AM
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Thanks boo'swar for this update. While I actually got my HFL replaced, I had strongly considered disconnecting it-to keep it from draining the battery. I had considered that disconnecting it may be a problem for Nav equipped cars-as even the dead HFL shows up (Green) on the Nav diagnostic screen (hold Menu+Setup+Cancel) for the NAV bus (F-CAN? ). In my case HFL was completely dead-and I got nothing in the MID when pressing the buttons-so I could not tell if it was trying to boot the dead module.

Some members have reported that removing fuse #6 Backup (7.5amp) cuts power to HFL-while leaving the connector plugged in.

I am told (but do not know for sure) Acuras tend to look for presence of a module (HFL) by checking the resistance of 2 pins in the connector (what they did to determine if the steering wheel switches were still good in my HFL). Problem is I did not try fuse #6, so I do not know if this works-or what else is turned off when the fuse is out.
Old 10-08-2010, 08:35 AM
1st Gear

Check out this link :

http://techinfo.honda.com/Rjanisis/pubs/SB/B05-020.PDF
(This link does not work)

Tells you where it is and how to replace it. This is one common problem. Wish there was some aftermarket solution to this.

Maybe the moderator can combine all these threads since everyone is asking the same question.
(This link does not work)
Old 10-10-2010, 08:28 PM
Cruisin'

Looks like they removed the link. It didn't like we were suppose to have access to it anyhow. I luckily had saved the document on my computer. I don't see an option to attach it to this reply. If you send me a message with your email address I can email it to you. Or if someone can tell me an easy way to attach the document I can that as well.
Old 10-10-2010, 09:37 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 29 Posts
Hfl is so f'ing annoying!

so when i got my TL it worked fine until i was forced to reset my phone. i was unsuccseful when trying to pair it again. here is the problem i am facing now...

everytime i turn the bluetooth on, on my phone, i get a request to pair from my car. the HFL then tells me i cant do that. so when i try to pair them from the car, i enter the password into my phone and they pair succsefully. but when i try to connect them the freakin car sends me another request to pair to my phone!!!! and then the whole things freezes and i have to disconnect the battery.

it is so annoying even when i dont want to pair and my blue tooth is on the car sends me a request to pair every 2 seconds it is driving me crazy

i even went as far as doing a system clear and it didnt do anything. i even disconnected the entire module and it didnt reset it. it stills sends me a request to pair every 2 seconds.

there has to be a way to reset the module...
Old 10-10-2010, 10:50 PM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,106 Likes on 764 Posts
Originally Posted by Fatfrii
so when i got my TL it worked fine until i was forced to reset my phone.
there has to be a way to reset the module...

I think the problem is your phone's settings and not the HFL.
Do you have Autoanswer set for "Off" and Auto Handsfree set "On?"
Old 10-12-2010, 12:28 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Will Y.

I think the problem is your phone's settings and not the HFL.
Do you have Autoanswer set for "Off" and Auto Handsfree set "On?"
all i can find in my phone was "auto pair handsfree" and it was set off

should both these setting be found under the bluetooth menu
Old 10-12-2010, 01:29 AM
Registered but harmless

all i can find in my phone was "auto pair handsfree" and it was set off

should both these setting be found under the bluetooth menu
Turn "auto pair handsfree" to "ON"; see if that resolves your problem.

If not, go to "Autoanswer"-- or its equivalent, which should be in a "car settings" menu-- and turn it off.
Old 10-13-2010, 05:30 PM
Intermediate

I still can't pair any phones...My phone doesn't find anything in discovery mode when pairing. Anyone know how I can get a new module at a decent price?
Old 10-14-2010, 10:36 PM
Burning Brakes

Turn "auto pair handsfree" to "ON"; see if that resolves your problem.

If not, go to "Autoanswer"-- or its equivalent, which should be in a "car settings" menu-- and turn it off.
car settings menu??? im confused is that supposed to be a setting changed on the phone or in the car

and like the OP i cant find anything when trying to pair when the phone is in discovery mode but when i select "add device" my phone pics up the HFL...strange
Old 10-15-2010, 12:52 AM
Registered but harmless

car settings menu??? im confused is that supposed to be a setting changed on the phone or in the car
Those are settings on the phone, not on the car.
Turn off the auto-answer mode, wherever it is found-- it's in a "car settings" menu on my Motorola, but may be called some other name on your phone.
Old 10-15-2010, 01:47 PM
Burning Brakes

Those are settings on the phone, not on the car.
Turn off the auto-answer mode, wherever it is found-- it's in a "car settings" menu on my Motorola, but may be called some other name on your phone.
ok under answer options i found "auto with hands free" and it was already set off
Old 10-15-2010, 08:32 PM
1st Gear

Has anyone found a realistic and effective way to at least stop the "battery drain" caused by these bogus HFL modules?
Old 10-15-2010, 08:54 PM
Registered but harmless

ok under answer options i found "auto with hands free" and it was already set off
Try setting it ON and see if that resolves your answering problems.

Some phones have an auto-answer mode separate from the car setting answer mode, BTW.
Originally Posted by Mop Dafleur
Has anyone found a realistic and effective way to at least stop the "battery drain" caused by these bogus HFL modules?
Yes-- Acura has a TSB for replacement of the HFL units which don't shut off properly. A search of the threads here will probably pull up a scan and references to the particular TSB.

Welcome to AZ.

Last edited by Will Y.; 10-15-2010 at 08:56 PM.
Old 10-20-2010, 11:04 AM
10th Gear

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
Thank you Google for caching that TSB... I saved it... Here's a link to it:

http://www.box.net/shared/ahv7hm987a

Let's keep this thread alive. Looks like there are plenty of us needing this module. I would have thought someone would have sued Acura over this by now. Its basically guaranteed that within every 4-5 years you are going to need to have this replaced at the cost of almost $800.
The following 2 users liked this post by q1001001:
exlex (07-24-2012), GJH07 (10-15-2013)
Old 10-21-2010, 09:52 AM
Intermediate

I just said screw it and bought a new TL...

I obviously didn't tell them that phone's wouldn't pair to the old one when I traded it in..
Old 10-25-2010, 10:29 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by DWDYEM2001
I just said screw it and bought a new TL...

I obviously didn't tell them that phone's wouldn't pair to the old one when I traded it in..
Too cheap to buy a module eh?

Just kidding obviously. That's a beautiful car and the exact one I'd get. Enjoy it!

Quick Reply: Replace Bluetooth Module