Remote Starter, Is there a way to not lose functionality?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2005, 11:26 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Remote Starter, Is there a way to not lose functionality?

Hey guys. I've read a lot of posts here about remote starter installs and having to break your key and put teh chip somewhere in the dash so the car would start. Is there any cleaner way of dealing with this so you don't lose the functionality of your keys? I had a Lynx 2000 alarm in my 1998 Galant with 1.5 mile range, and I would LOVE to have this in my TL... but I am afraid of losing functionality.
Old 01-23-2005, 10:16 PM
Advanced

I just installed a starter in my TL. Works well with a bypass kit from www.bypasskit.com kit code: PKH3. Works great. And NO KEY REQUIRED. The only problem is that it might need to be reprogramed if it looses power, which is very simple. Just put the key in ignition and switch a jumper back and forth. There might be some other kits out there, but I didn't resarch.
Old 01-23-2005, 11:38 PM
Instructor

That is great news! Thanks! Is there somewhere that I can read about these bypass kits for our TL? I would like to know if some are better than others, etc. Thanks again!
Old 01-23-2005, 11:38 PM
Instructor

BTW - With a bypass kit, will that disable the factory alarm? Or would I have to deal with using two alarms simultaneously?
Old 01-24-2005, 05:02 PM
Advanced

There is another kit listed on ww.bypaskit.com which disables the OEM alarm and some other things. However I think it is doing so by unlocking the car. You can easily do the same if you tap the wire coming from the lock cylinder in the driver's door. However you will need to program the remote starter to unlock the car before starting and lock after. The other way is to never lock the car with original remote or with the key, thus never enabling the factory alarm. This way you don't have to worry about it and there is no need to fish the wires to the door.

I don't know if there is a place that will compare the bypass kits for you. Most web sites just sell it. But go ahead and search...
Old 01-26-2005, 06:53 PM
Instructor

Do you have an alarm with your remote starter? What is the range of your remote starter? The primary reason I want the Lynx 2000 alarm is because it has 1.5 mile remote starting range. I used it in my old car and verified the range to work atleast 1 mile away in my school.

When you remotely start the car, and the factory alarm is activated, does the factory alarm go off, or does the bypass module prevent the alarm from going off?

What would the optimal usage in my situation be? Use the Lynx 2000 Alarm by itself, or use the Lynx 2000 Alarm with the factory alarm to have twice as much noise if something happens to my car. Would I be able to have both alarms working simultaneously without any issues? I think this would be the best thing.
Old 01-26-2005, 07:18 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Moosh
Do you have an alarm with your remote starter? What is the range of your remote starter? The primary reason I want the Lynx 2000 alarm is because it has 1.5 mile remote starting range. I used it in my old car and verified the range to work atleast 1 mile away in my school.

When you remotely start the car, and the factory alarm is activated, does the factory alarm go off, or does the bypass module prevent the alarm from going off?

What would the optimal usage in my situation be? Use the Lynx 2000 Alarm by itself, or use the Lynx 2000 Alarm with the factory alarm to have twice as much noise if something happens to my car. Would I be able to have both alarms working simultaneously without any issues? I think this would be the best thing.
1. Yes I have an alarm with my starter.
2. Range will always vary. I live on 18th floor and my car is 2 levels underground. Starts no problem. Open street range it about 1 mile.

3. I don't think that bypass module will disable the factory alarm. Although it cuts the power from the key recognition module, I still think that the factory alarm will go off. After all it goes off even if you lock yourself in the car, wait for it to arm and try to start the car with a key. I know if two sure ways to bypass the factory alarm. First, do not ever arm it. (tap to lock wire from the inside lock switch, never use a key to lock the car, never use the original remote to lock) Second use "unlock before start sequence" to disarm it before starting. However you have to wire your unlock signal to the wire from the lock cylinder. Nothing else will disable it. (OK, except for some other bypass modules which are basically doing the same thing). However this means your car is open for a few seconds during remote starting.

4. You can go with one or two alarms. You will not get more noise from two then one. You have your siren, you have your horn and flashing lights, what else? And what for, if nobody pays any attention to loud cars anymore. Better get a pager. (like I have) Having one or two alarms really depends on the option of wiring you gonna choose (point 3). I guess keeping it simple is the key.
Old 01-26-2005, 10:31 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by MrBadGUy
1. Yes I have an alarm with my starter.
2. Range will always vary. I live on 18th floor and my car is 2 levels underground. Starts no problem. Open street range it about 1 mile.

3. I don't think that bypass module will disable the factory alarm. Although it cuts the power from the key recognition module, I still think that the factory alarm will go off. After all it goes off even if you lock yourself in the car, wait for it to arm and try to start the car with a key. I know if two sure ways to bypass the factory alarm. First, do not ever arm it. (tap to lock wire from the inside lock switch, never use a key to lock the car, never use the original remote to lock) Second use "unlock before start sequence" to disarm it before starting. However you have to wire your unlock signal to the wire from the lock cylinder. Nothing else will disable it. (OK, except for some other bypass modules which are basically doing the same thing). However this means your car is open for a few seconds during remote starting.

4. You can go with one or two alarms. You will not get more noise from two then one. You have your siren, you have your horn and flashing lights, what else? And what for, if nobody pays any attention to loud cars anymore. Better get a pager. (like I have) Having one or two alarms really depends on the option of wiring you gonna choose (point 3). I guess keeping it simple is the key.
Your third response confused me. If I have the factory alarm unarmed and never arm it, and remotely start my car, will the aftermarket alarm still be protecting my car? You mentioned "However this means your car is open for a few seconds during remote starting."

Basically this is what I interpreted:
1) Factory alarm is unarmed, only open doors with aftermarket unlock. Factory alarm basically never used again. There is no situation in which the factory alarm will activate unless I arm it with the remote or if I use my keys to open/close the doors.
2) Aftermarket alarm takes over as the primary and only alarm system in the car.
3) Remote starter can start the car with the use of a bypass module.

Am I right in my interpretation?

And about the pager comment, yeah... the Lynx 2000 has a pager.
Old 01-27-2005, 09:50 PM
Advanced

Yes you are perfectly right.
Note: Opening the door with a key, only disarms the alarm. Makes no difference if it was armed or not.

You see, if you never use your factory alarm, then the aftermarket one does not have to disarm it before remote starting (by unlocking the car for a copule of seconds) therefore your car is always locked. As far as protection, your aftermarket alarm/starter disables the motion sensor, for obvious reasons, but still monitors door, hood, trunk trigers.....

Keep in mind, that bypass module does not have anyting to do with "factory alarm", which is a separate system from the transponder antitheft, which is always active. Bypass module, basically feeds the correct signal to the computer and cuts power to the factory transponder module, so that the signal is not doubled once you put in the key before you turn off the remote start.
Old 01-28-2005, 05:17 PM
Instructor

Thanks, its much clearer now.

Did you wire straight to your door panel from the alarm or did you use the HODL2 module from bypasskit.com to make things easier?
Old 01-29-2005, 09:16 PM
Advanced

No, I didn't want to spend money on HODL2, you can easily find the wires the HODL2 provides near the fuse panel. I guess the only use for it is the fact that you don not have to fish the wires into the door (which is tricky, you need to drill in a connector). But then again, you might not need to. If you don't use the factory alarm, there are lock and unlock wires near the fuse pannel as well. Pretty mutch everything is there except:
- hood trigger (engine comparment fuse box)
- injector pulse (not too far, at the computer)
- key transponder module (again not too far, in the steering column- easy to take apart)

As for myself, I wired the lock and unlock signals directly to the key cylinder at the drivers door. I choose to go this way, beacuse I use the same wires for windows opening and closing, but this is another story.