Remote start on a manual?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2004, 12:01 PM
Vroooooom....Vrooooooom!!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Remote start on a manual?

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I was thinking about it and was wondering what you do to get around this:

How do you remote start a manual? Quite obviously the clutch pedal needs to be depressed in order to start the car. Is there someway to bypass the ignition cut-out when the clutch is not depressed - and then do you just leave your car in nuetral?

What do you guys do? It just had me thinking. I have an 05 6SP TL, and might consider it, if it is possible. I tried searching, but couldn't find anything.

Cheers!
Old 11-17-2004, 12:23 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm sure there's someway. I had a Peugeot that was a manual and I didnt have to engage the clutch for it to start.
Old 11-17-2004, 12:31 PM
Racer

It is definitely possible. Many of my friends with manuals have remote starters. Not quite sure how it's done since I've never used a remote starter. But it can be done.
Old 11-17-2004, 12:32 PM
Instructor

It cost more but can be done. I'm looked into getting mine done and it was going to be about $640can. They added on about $250 because it was MT.
Old 11-17-2004, 01:49 PM
Team Anthracite Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hi PianoMan,

I'm doing a remote starter install myself on my 05 6MT TL. I've ordered the parts and they should start arriving next week. Check this thread for info on what I've chosen to go with:

https://acurazine.com/forums/car-parts-sale-361/fs-19-axis-hagens-pics-101401/

In answer to your question about the clutch. The ignition system just checks a switch which is depressed (or unpressed) when you push in the clutch pedal. The remote start system just "fakes" the clutch being pushed in by either grounding or passing a 12V signal to this switch.

One of the hard parts of installing a remote start on our cars is the transponder in the key issue. Our keys have a transponder which emits a specific code when inserted in the ignition. The box I mention in the above thread learns this code and passes the same code to the ECU when the remote starter is starting the car.

When you get into the car, you just put the key in the ignition and the remote starter will tell the bypass module to stop transmitting the code as your key will now do it.

I'm also doing chustevebs window roll-up mod at the same time using an AUX trigger from the alarm system/remote starter I'm installing. See this thread for info on that, it's quite cool:

https://acurazine.com/forums/wash-wax-23/nj-area-detailers-101211/

Let me know if you have any other questions... I can fill you in on the success of my install when I'm done.

P.S. Congratulations on the purchase of your new car! You'll love it!
Old 11-17-2004, 02:35 PM
Burning Brakes

i have personally seen this done. it can be pretty dangerous.

i leave my car in 1st gear all the time. i would not even consider remote start.
Old 11-17-2004, 03:06 PM
Team Anthracite Member

After having remote start on my 2000 5MT Prelude, I'm used to never leaving my car in gear. And all these systems have safety systems which don't let you leave the car in gear and remotely start it. They are quite fool proof. Unless you jump through the sunroof and put the car in gear.
Old 11-17-2004, 03:45 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by zax123
Hi PianoMan,

I'm doing a remote starter install myself on my 05 6MT TL. I've ordered the parts and they should start arriving next week. Check this thread for info on what I've chosen to go with:

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=101401

In answer to your question about the clutch. The ignition system just checks a switch which is depressed (or unpressed) when you push in the clutch pedal. The remote start system just "fakes" the clutch being pushed in by either grounding or passing a 12V signal to this switch.

One of the hard parts of installing a remote start on our cars is the transponder in the key issue. Our keys have a transponder which emits a specific code when inserted in the ignition. The box I mention in the above thread learns this code and passes the same code to the ECU when the remote starter is starting the car.

When you get into the car, you just put the key in the ignition and the remote starter will tell the bypass module to stop transmitting the code as your key will now do it.

I'm also doing chustevebs window roll-up mod at the same time using an AUX trigger from the alarm system/remote starter I'm installing. See this thread for info on that, it's quite cool:

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=101211

Let me know if you have any other questions... I can fill you in on the success of my install when I'm done.

I had remote start on my 1994 Cobra 5MT and you have to close the circuit to get the remote start to work.

I ALWAYS park in neutral unless I am on the side of a mountain. The one thing you have to monitor is OTHER people driving the car. Get used to NOT using remote start if someone else uses the car, or it can end up in a lake or something.
Old 11-17-2004, 03:47 PM
Advanced

sokolov at mobile electronics of ny installed the alarm on my 944 porsche and r6 yamaha the only thing is you have to remember to leave the car in neutral if its left in first it wont start.
Old 11-17-2004, 03:47 PM
Team Anthracite Member

You wouldn't be able to remotely start the car if you had left it in gear as the remote start exit-car procedure is to release the foot brake, then pull on the emergency brake and the car will stay running. The car would either stall or jump forward and stall instantly.
Old 11-17-2004, 09:28 PM
04 A-TL 6MT SSM/E N/Navi

Originally Posted by zax123
Hi PianoMan,

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=101401

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=101211

Originally Posted by 3PUTT
i have personally seen this done. it can be pretty dangerous.

i leave my car in 1st gear all the time. i would not even consider remote start.

Old 11-17-2004, 10:31 PM
Boom goes the Dynamite

There is no foolproof way to safely use a remote start on a manual tranmission car. Don't do it. The parking brake will not stop the car and all of the RS system will try to restart the car if it fails the first time. I would hate to see you damage your car or hurt someone because it was in gear.
Old 11-18-2004, 07:30 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Compustar has remote start/alarms that work on manual cars. It wont allow you to turn off the iginion while the car is still in a gear and the Ebrake is on. So it knows next time that the car is safe to start. Check out their website www.compustar.org
Old 11-18-2004, 02:17 PM
Vroooooom....Vrooooooom!!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Interesting...thanks to all for their input on this. It seems that there are mixed opinions as to whether or not it is safe to do. I am going to have to research it some more before I even think about doing it.

I always leave my car in 1st or reverse (depending on incline) and would be VERY hesitant to leave it in nuetral. If the hand brake goes, so does the car!
Old 11-18-2004, 03:39 PM
Team Anthracite Member

"If the handbrake goes". One would hope that the handbrake wouldn't just go... I think you'd have some advance warning of the handbrake not working. I've only been driving for 14 years, but in that time, I've driven mostly manual-transmission vehicles and I've never put the car in 1st or reverse when parking. I've always set the parking brake and never had a problem. Granted, I was driving mostly Hondas which are as reliable as they get but...

A modern remote starter system for MT wouldn't let you leave the car in 1st or reverse and still be able to start the car, so you'd be safe.

Here in Montreal, it's really preferable to have a remote starter. On really bad days, you can get a layer of ice on your windshield up to a quarter-of-an-inch thick. It takes quite a while to warm up the windshield and get rid of the ice before you can drive away. On days like that, you thank your lucky stars that you have a remote starter.
Old 11-18-2004, 07:29 PM
Team Anthracite Member

Yup, I ordered the Compustar 2WSS. It looks awesome. Found it on eBay. $239 with free shipping. I'm looking forward to installing it!
Old 11-20-2004, 09:22 AM
Instructor

Anybody who's inadvertantly driven a car with the handbrake engaged knows it does very little to hold the vehicle. Even if you think you've set the brake well, a mere tap on the bumper from another vehicle can easily overcome the friction of the brake.

Don't kid yourselves -- nothing holds like a drivetrain in a nice, low gear. It's the closest alternative to a mechanical parking lock.
Old 11-20-2004, 12:20 PM
Instructor

I really don't think it is worth it at all. The way it works is that they by-pass your cluth to turn on the motor with having the clutch down. So everytime you start your car regularly, you don't need to step on the clutch. In a car like a TL I think it's kind of "ghetto and cheap". I had remote start for my hatchback I had awhile back, and that thing kinda messed up my car. My friend also had remote start, and when started it gear that thing jumps far!
Old 11-20-2004, 04:51 PM
Team Anthracite Member

The only reason manufacturers have you push on the clutch to start the car is for safety reasons (and probably a bunch of past lawsuits). In the past, it wasn't necessary. All your pushing on the clutch does is push a little safety switch. Remote starting the car basically "pushes" the same switch, so it's not ghetto at all. In any case, if you've got 1/4 inch of ice on your windshield, and it's -40 outside (fahrenheit or celsius, take your pick) you'll be thankful you have remote start. I've had remote start on MT vehicles for 10 years and never had a single problem.