Radio/Navi Codes! Don't Call The Dealer!

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2014, 08:51 PM
7th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Radio/Navi Codes! Don't Call The Dealer!

Lost your radio/navi code card? Don't waste time with the dealer... Some try to charge you. Honda/Acura has a wevsite dedicated to code retrieval. All you neednis some personal information and some information retrieved from your radio display (retrievable even when locked). Visit the site, it has clear explinations and directions and it takes 5 minutes. I use this site ALL THE TIME. I am an independant tech and when a customer loses their cards I go in the site to ge the their code s.
Radio-navicode.honda.com
Radio-navicode.acura.com
The following users liked this post:
BlueAquarian (06-03-2014)
Old 06-03-2014, 09:38 PM
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
I purchased a CPO and my car's code wasn't inside the manual. I went to channel 1 on xm radio and typed in the 7 character code, but the website you listed above said it was incorrect. My code on my satellite screen states the code,but it has letters and number. Does the code have a combination of letters and numbers?
Old 06-04-2014, 06:49 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 281 Likes on 190 Posts
Originally Posted by organicgrl
I purchased a CPO and my car's code wasn't inside the manual. I went to channel 1 on xm radio and typed in the 7 character code, but the website you listed above said it was incorrect. My code on my satellite screen states the code,but it has letters and number. Does the code have a combination of letters and numbers?
Did you follow what it says on the website? I don't think you are supposed to use the S/N of the XM radio - that's just for activating XM. Looks like you have to get it off of the Nav box.

All Other Models
There are several places to find your navigation unit's serial number:

The Navigation Anti-Theft Code and the device unit's serial number are listed on the anti-theft ID card that comes with the vehicle. The card is usually placed in the glove box at the time of delivery.

The navigation system serial number label is located on the control unit. This is where the removable DVD is stored. For information on where to locate your navigation system control unit, refer to the Navigation System manual supplied with your vehicle ("Changing the DVD") or consult your dealership. If the label is not viewable once the control unit is located, consult your dealership for assistance.

Note: The serial number cannot be obtained electronically on the navigation screen.

Interestingly enough, when I had my 05 with NAV, the nav code was locked out, and there was no serial number on the drive. The dealer wanted money, so I told them to shove it and I shipped it back to Alpine for free and had them unlock it.
Old 06-05-2014, 06:58 AM
The DVD-A Script Guy

Received 184 Likes on 131 Posts
So VIN, zip code, email and a phone number is all I need? Well, VIN's in plain site and most of the other stuff is commonly on insurance cards and registration cards that many states require be in the car at all times. Phone and email? Easy to spoof. So that's not very secure and pretty easily obtained. I don't think it's going to cause a rash of thefts but it does sound like it defeats the purpose of a code. Unless I'm missing something or some other verification process it's just another example of defeating security with convenience. Yeah, I get it, it's just a radio code but it's indicative of lax policies that usually creep elsewhere into a business' offerings.

My experience with this at a Honda dealer (for a 2001 Odyssey HU) was very easy and free. All I needed to do was prove who I was in person and give them the serial number of the HU. Yeah, it was a pain having to yank it out of the dash (had to for that model) but otherwise they would have had to do it and that's where any charges would have happened

Last edited by Adobeman; 06-05-2014 at 07:11 AM.
Old 06-05-2014, 11:28 AM
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by screaminz28
Did you follow what it says on the website? I don't think you are supposed to use the S/N of the XM radio - that's just for activating XM. Looks like you have to get it off of the Nav box.

All Other Models
There are several places to find your navigation unit's serial number:

The Navigation Anti-Theft Code and the device unit's serial number are listed on the anti-theft ID card that comes with the vehicle. The card is usually placed in the glove box at the time of delivery.

The navigation system serial number label is located on the control unit. This is where the removable DVD is stored. For information on where to locate your navigation system control unit, refer to the Navigation System manual supplied with your vehicle ("Changing the DVD") or consult your dealership. If the label is not viewable once the control unit is located, consult your dealership for assistance.

Note: The serial number cannot be obtained electronically on the navigation screen.

Interestingly enough, when I had my 05 with NAV, the nav code was locked out, and there was no serial number on the drive. The dealer wanted money, so I told them to shove it and I shipped it back to Alpine for free and had them unlock it.
I don't have a navigation. Where else to look?
Old 06-05-2014, 01:23 PM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,102 Likes on 763 Posts
Originally Posted by organicgrl
I don't have a navigation. Where else to look?
The radio code is a 4- or 5-digit number which came on a plastic card the size of a business card with the valet key and paperwork separately from the owner's manual; some people write the code in the manual.

Also check the spare tire compartment for the code card since you got the car CPO- that's where the cargo nets were stored if not placed in the trunk.

Techs sometimes write the radio code on a sticker placed on the side of the glove compartment or on top of the under-hood fuse box.

Otherwise, if pressing the "1" and "6" presets simultaneously don't give you the radio serial number, you'll have to pull the radio to get the serial number to give to the dealer to get the radio code (and that part can be done by phone).
Actually, since you got the car CPO, see if the dealer might be able to help you with that without charge.
Old 06-25-2014, 11:42 PM
Drifting

Received 166 Likes on 146 Posts
on the 3rd gen tl, the radio is 5 digit and the navi is 4. Glove box is a place to look too