Radio Code Problem 2004 TL How to find Dealer? HELLLPPP!

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2008, 02:55 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Radio Code Problem 2004 TL How to find Dealer? HELLLPPP!

I have an Acura TL 2004, and I have to change one of the stop and turn bulbs on the driver's side. This requires removal of the battery, now I bought the car used and I never got a radio code, if I disconnect the battery, the radio will lock out am I correct? If this is the problem I understand I have to find the original dealer that sold the car......how would I go about doing this from buying the car used? It was bought years ago....
Old 11-17-2008, 03:08 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,770 Likes on 4,341 Posts
Try Registering the car here:

http://owners.acura.com/landing.aspx

Both my cars show the Raido and the '07 shows the navi code also. I never put 'em in, they were just there.
Old 11-17-2008, 03:37 PM
Pro

Received 68 Likes on 33 Posts
Unfortunately if you're not the original owner and the previous owner didn't include the radio code card with the owner's manual you're kinda screwed. You'll need to remove the radio and get the serial number off it and then visit a dealership and give them the vehicle's VIN, radio serial number, and provide proof of ownership in order to get them to give you the code. You don't need to find the original dealer -- any dealer should be able to look it up with the information provided.

There is one other possible alternative which doesn't require you to obtain the code. You can pick up an auto computer memory saver from places like eBay, Amazon, JC Whitney, etc. for as little as $5. It's just a cigarette lighter adapter attached to a 9v battery. You plug it in and it supposedly provides enough current for your radio, car's computer, etc. to retain their settings for a few hours while the car's battery is removed. I've never tried one myself but I hear they work.
Old 11-17-2008, 07:27 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,004 Likes on 1,424 Posts
Originally Posted by DanL
Unfortunately if you're not the original owner and the previous owner didn't include the radio code card with the owner's manual you're kinda screwed. You'll need to remove the radio and get the serial number off it and then visit a dealership and give them the vehicle's VIN, radio serial number, and provide proof of ownership in order to get them to give you the code. You don't need to find the original dealer -- any dealer should be able to look it up with the information provided.

There is one other possible alternative which doesn't require you to obtain the code. You can pick up an auto computer memory saver from places like eBay, Amazon, JC Whitney, etc. for as little as $5. It's just a cigarette lighter adapter attached to a 9v battery. You plug it in and it supposedly provides enough current for your radio, car's computer, etc. to retain their settings for a few hours while the car's battery is removed. I've never tried one myself but I hear they work.
Not quite, check the glovebox, the sides of it and also the plastic trim of the compartment itself for the codes. Dealers usually stick it there. Also go to the fuse box covers (interior and underhood) and check under it, they might be there. If they are not there, you can get the code for the radio easily through the electronic method. I believe it is turn the radio off, press the 1 and 6 button, then power on. You should see Uxxxx and then Lxxxx and the serial is those two combined without the U and L. As for the navi, you can obtain the serial as well by going into the diagnostics (press Map, Menu and Cancel for 5 seconds) it should be under navi info. Make sure to do this before disconnecting the battery.
Old 11-18-2008, 01:39 PM
Advanced

There were no tags, I had already checked for them....the electronic method does not work as far as holding 1+6 then turn on the radio....nothing happens, codes don't pop up, it doesn't turn on when holding the buttons. I got into the navi setup ....but failed to see where the code is for it, I searched thru many options and it was nowhere to be found.....
Old 11-18-2008, 09:20 PM
B A N N E D

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
you only need to stick you hand through from the fender liner to change the turn signal light bulbs, instead of removing the battery !!!!
Old 11-19-2008, 12:52 AM
I love Beer

pm me with your vehicle VIN. I know a dealership near me that can get you the code. If you are uncomfortable pming me your vehicle VIN then I cannot help you.

good luck.
Old 11-19-2008, 01:21 AM
steeez

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by csmeance
Not quite, check the glovebox, the sides of it and also the plastic trim of the compartment itself for the codes. Dealers usually stick it there. Also go to the fuse box covers (interior and underhood) and check under it, they might be there. If they are not there, you can get the code for the radio easily through the electronic method. I believe it is turn the radio off, press the 1 and 6 button, then power on. You should see Uxxxx and then Lxxxx and the serial is those two combined without the U and L. As for the navi, you can obtain the serial as well by going into the diagnostics (press Map, Menu and Cancel for 5 seconds) it should be under navi info. Make sure to do this before disconnecting the battery.
good info, is that in the garage? ive read threads of where people paid hundreds to get their radio code obtained again from the dealer