QUESTIONS/Chat REGARDING 3G TL AUDIO/DESIGNS/INSTALLS

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2012, 02:00 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by I hate cars
The crossovers are supposed to be designed for the car, one size does not fit all. Passives will be a compromise. This is the big reason for going active, you can tune it to your specific car which is very important. A car can sound good with passives but unless the passives are designed for your particular car, you're missing out.

JayVee, for what it's worth, it took me many months after going active to get it to sound as good as it did on the passives, just the break even point. I could probably do it a little quicker now but it might not be a bad idea to fire it up on the passives and go active down the road.
I do not think it is me who is missing out. I am experiencing life in a way you could not dream about. I also understand what the passive crossovers do and the benefits of an active setup. Stop taking me for a bafoon before you have begun to understand anything worthwhile.
Old 07-31-2012, 02:08 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Originally Posted by stevemk07
I do not think it is me who is missing out. I am experiencing life in a way you could not dream about. I also understand what the passive crossovers do and the benefits of an active setup. Stop taking me for a bafoon before you have begun to understand anything worthwhile.
Oh wow. We're talking about whose life is better lol. Do you ever get sick of putting that foot in your mouth Stevie?

You're all over this forum posting in speaker upgrade threads, infinite baffle threads, giving out advice with zero experience. You're dead wrong on this imaginary factory processing, the value of a good set of speakers, more midbass displacement, the value of more power, etc. Bafoon is a good title for you.

Last edited by I hate cars; 07-31-2012 at 02:11 PM.
Old 07-31-2012, 02:11 PM
21 Acura RDX Aspec

Received 290 Likes on 267 Posts
Calm down fellas... no pissing matches or dick sword fighting here. Everyone's input, opinion and experience is priceless. Even if not followed by me or the next man, someone down the road can take something from this threads at any given time and that info save his audio life or was priceless to that individual. That is what its all about.
Old 07-31-2012, 02:36 PM
21 Acura RDX Aspec

Would the equipment that I have make any difference whether active or passive sounds better? Maybe that is Jerry's reason to recommend active or maybe its just his elite experience and the knack of listening to tune the sounds right or like what was said above it being extremely hard. Idk i am weighing out the differences and would like to hear from ppls experience and not what is faster to throw together so much.
Old 07-31-2012, 02:49 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by JayVee
Would the equipment that I have make any difference whether active or passive sounds better? Maybe that is Jerry's reason to recommend active or maybe its just his elite experience and the knack of listening to tune the sounds right or like what was said above it being extremely hard. Idk i am weighing out the differences and would like to hear from ppls experience and not what is faster to throw together so much.
Jerry is right in recommending active for the best possible sound quality. The problem is the complexity. With so many adjustments, it's easy to make it sound worse that it would on passives. It took me about 4 months after going active just to get it back to where it was on passives. Plus there's the problem of where do you stop. There are times I wish I had stopped with the Dyn passives and never went active. It sounds so good right now but it sounded very good before as well. Was it worth the months of tuning and retuning? It is now but I almost gave up on the whole thing several times after going active.

Sometimes it's best to get used to it on the passives first because they will get you in the ballpark and once you're comfortable with the system, go active. There's also the issue that if you set a crossover wrong, put a lowpass where it's supposed to be a highpass, you'll easily kill a tweeter.

If you have the time and don't mind tinkering with it, active isn't a bad idea. If you want to install it and forget about it, passive is the way to go.
Old 07-31-2012, 03:18 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 69 Likes on 57 Posts
After looking at the crossover section.....RUN PASSIVE!!!!

You can crossover the tweeters HP and woofers LP, but you are unable to bandpass the woofers and set a HP filter for the woofers, which is necessary. You would have to set a HP for the woofers and let them roll off naturally which would cause the midrange to mud up.

When I talked to your friend, I told him that the amp would have to be able to bandpass the woofers (talking door speakers). I was in the car and couldn't look it up.

Go passive and be done.
Old 07-31-2012, 03:51 PM
Coolest A-zine Member

Received 172 Likes on 163 Posts
Originally Posted by niebur3
You can crossover the tweeters HP and woofers LP, but you are unable to bandpass the woofers and set a HP filter for the woofers, which is necessary. You would have to set a HP for the woofers and let them roll off naturally which would cause the midrange to mud up.
This is how the Image Dynamics CXS and XS are run. No BP on the mids as they are left alone to roll off naturally. The passives that come with them are just for tweeter levels/HPF. Not sure why it's like this, but it is. Eric Stevens said the cxs start to roll off around 1600hz and the xs are around 1800hz. Just food for thought on this topic.

My ..........run passives for a little bit and enjoy it. Nothing would be worse than blowing a tweeter due to the wrong setting or the amp giving out DC on the first power up. Enjoy it for a period of time, then play around if you desire more.

Last edited by Trunk Monkey; 07-31-2012 at 03:54 PM.
Old 07-31-2012, 03:51 PM
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by niebur3
After looking at the crossover section.....RUN PASSIVE!!!!

When I talked to your friend, I told him that the amp would have to be able to bandpass the woofers (talking door speakers). I was in the car and couldn't look it up.

Go passive and be done.
Not to mention that a highpass of 250hz would spell certain death for most any tweeter.
Old 07-31-2012, 05:39 PM
21 Acura RDX Aspec

Originally Posted by rich20730
Not to mention that a highpass of 250hz would spell certain death for most any tweeter.
With all the Chineses and lettered abbreviations just said...I understood it was unanimous to go PASSIVE and that came with 3 of most knowledgable dudes that have been helping and following this thread from the begining ...and one new guy...lol

And I would still maintain my adjustments on the stock head unit (Bass, treble, front, rear...etc.)?

THANKS
Old 07-31-2012, 09:09 PM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 20,007 Likes on 14,511 Posts
...your latest update pictures look a fuckload like words, Jay...

Old 07-31-2012, 09:19 PM
21 Acura RDX Aspec

Originally Posted by rockstar143
...your latest update pictures look a fuckload like words, Jay...

LMAO STFU!
Old 07-31-2012, 09:47 PM
Team Owner

You have to know where to cut this thing off. Going active opens the door to another level of audio addiction. I miss the passive days where I was not able to change anything.
Old 07-31-2012, 09:48 PM

Get on it, papi, you can't hit us with a solid week of 10 pictures a day and fkn loligag...
Old 07-31-2012, 09:54 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 594 Likes on 457 Posts
With all the Chineses and lettered abbreviations just said...I understood it was unanimous to go PASSIVE and that came with 3 of most knowledgable dudes that have been helping and following this thread from the begining ...and one new guy...lol

And I would still maintain my adjustments on the stock head unit (Bass, treble, front, rear...etc.)?

THANKS
Unless you also take the sub signal and not just FL + FR you will need a remote level control capable amp or loose sub control from the HU.
Old 07-31-2012, 09:58 PM
21 Acura RDX Aspec

You have to know where to cut this thing off. Going active opens the door to another level of audio addiction. I miss the passive days where I was not able to change anything.
Well I definitely do not want to get all deep into the audio thing I just want some quality sounding tunes... again, coming from the avg Joe...or Josh

But its been decided PASSIVE is the way i am going and i am sure i will be pleased.
Old 07-31-2012, 10:15 PM

Passive is where it's at to keep your sanity and money in the bank. If Matt warns you about something, I'd just take his word for it.
Old 07-31-2012, 10:18 PM
Team Owner

Well I definitely do not want to get all deep into the audio thing I just want some quality sounding tunes... again, coming from the avg Joe...or Josh

But its been decided PASSIVE is the way i am going and i am sure i will be pleased.
I started out the same way. Actually I started out much smaller with a pair of subs in way too small of a box and the stock speakers on the stock amp for a year, then Infinity speakers on the stock amp. The disease spread. Less than 2 years ago I did not know what a crossover slope was and when I would see the Dyn 6.5" speakers listed for $1,000 on various sites I would just shake my head and wonder what has to be wrong with a person to spend that kind of money on audio. In 1.5 years I've become "that" person. Don't become "that" person. lol

On another note, I can't wait to hear your impressions of this system. You've got some really nice gear and a great install. I think you hit it perfectly, right at the point of diminishing returns. The stuff you have is a great bang for the buck and to get better stuff you would have to pay several times more for a small increase.

Good luck again.
Old 07-31-2012, 10:44 PM
21 Acura RDX Aspec

I started out the same way. Actually I started out much smaller with a pair of subs in way too small of a box and the stock speakers on the stock amp for a year, then Infinity speakers on the stock amp. The disease spread. Less than 2 years ago I did not know what a crossover slope was and when I would see the Dyn 6.5" speakers listed for $1,000 on various sites I would just shake my head and wonder what has to be wrong with a person to spend that kind of money on audio. In 1.5 years I've become "that" person. Don't become "that" person. lol

On another note, I can't wait to hear your impressions of this system. You've got some really nice gear and a great install. I think you hit it perfectly, right at the point of diminishing returns. The stuff you have is a great bang for the buck and to get better stuff you would have to pay several times more for a small increase.

Good luck again.
That is really good to hear... well, the last part regarding my equipment at least...lmao
Old 08-01-2012, 06:18 PM
21 Acura RDX Aspec

Ok...against popular demand or the demand of ROCKSTAR143...lol I have no pic progress for update and project will be on pause for approx 1 week or so. Instead of having my friend Gabe do the remaining of the wiring, who seems a lil reluctant or don't really want to do it in the first place. I decided to take it to a professional, who happens to run a Car Audio shop. We talked a lil about what's left and what to install in addition. What is left is soldering a RCA to the radio for a line out, AUDIO CONTROL Matrix under the passenger seat and both Rainbow crossovers mounted ...somewhere or under each seat for each side of Hi's/Mids with all RCA's and wires ran to the trunk of the car so I may go ahead and seal the IB ~ cabin from the trunk. In addition to install along with the wires, He will be installing my AUDIOVOX 7in DVD Monitors Universal kits, all from a outstanding deal $$$ !!!

So, now what's left is scheduling the time to be without the car for 1 day. I will have to schedule something with the wife to drop off the car before they close and p/u the next day after work or later afternoon. I do promise all will be done soon and progress will continue.
Old 08-03-2012, 03:02 AM
21 Acura RDX Aspec

I will be doing some more work this weekend since the remaining of the work seems ro be all up front. After laying down and mocking the RCA wire that is needs to be ran to the rear, I will then permanently install the panel, seal it, deaden it and anymore final adjustments needed to finalize on the panel and the interior back in the vehicle.
Old 08-03-2012, 04:07 AM
21 Acura RDX Aspec

Thanks MistahWes06TL ~ Template will be shipped today
Old 08-03-2012, 09:10 AM
Coolest A-zine Member

Received 172 Likes on 163 Posts
In 1.5 years I've become "that" person. Don't become "that" person. lol
By far the best smiley on this forum lol
Old 08-04-2012, 06:25 PM
21 Acura RDX Aspec

Has anyone here used the sound deadening material called ballistic?
Old 08-04-2012, 09:19 PM
Drifting

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts
Has anyone here used the sound deadening material called ballistic?
Never heard of it.

I usually go with SDS stuff.
Old 08-04-2012, 10:04 PM
21 Acura RDX Aspec

Originally Posted by eggyhustles
Never heard of it.

I usually go with SDS stuff.
Nice of you to join Eggy... During my short interest and build during project I have trolled through some of the forum and read some of your comments. Although some are argumentative and some are informative nevertheless good reads anyways... don't bash me eggy- I am a noob and repeated how i don't know shit from shit...lol

I have heard of BALLISTIC and found its pretty decent stuff. Although I have used the better stuff in the areas most important, as seen in the build so far. And i do have more dynamat for the front of the panel. I am sure this will be perfect for the remaining use in the trunk floor.
Old 08-04-2012, 10:10 PM
Drifting

If you used it and it works

....keep using it
Old 08-08-2012, 06:50 PM
21 Acura RDX Aspec

If you used it and it works

....keep using it
Like I said... I never used it...
Old 08-08-2012, 06:52 PM
21 Acura RDX Aspec

Ok fellas, again... Sorry for the neglect to the faithful and the lurking in the dark who never post

As of late, I been having issues or a break in communication with my wire installer so I am stuck until something shows itself as a solution. Another reason for delay and neglect of posting here at all is I been stricken with a bacterial stomach virus as of late... I would not wish this on my enemy. Today is my first day of full relief and able to eat and function again.

Going back to what I asked a few post ago, I purchased some locally available deadening at a car audio warehouse called BALLISTIC. I have heard or seen post/comments of the stuff through GOOGLE when I was searching for deadening options. Stuff seems to be just as good so far while applying as DYNAMAT. Sticks very very well and seems to apply even easier. Anyways, I decided to install some in the trunk while on my down time with completing the wiring. No need for time wasted when there is still work to be completed. As you can see, I am NOT looking for perfection or 100% coverage, just spot layering around the OEM stuff.

So here it is gents:

Last edited by JayVee; 08-08-2012 at 06:56 PM.
Old 08-08-2012, 07:38 PM
21 Acura RDX Aspec

TEMPLATE for this sloooooooooooooooooooooooooow IB Panel build are available ~

$25 mailed in envelope
$30 in a mail tube

... 5 SOLD so far
Old 08-08-2012, 07:56 PM
Drifting

Like I said... I never used it...
i read that wrong
Old 08-08-2012, 08:04 PM
21 Acura RDX Aspec

i read that wrong
No problem eggy. Stuff seems just as thick and application is just as firm or more sticky then the DYNAMAT. I know that does not say much to the performance end so far. But the BALLISTIC stuff does not seem cheap or inferior to the better quality DYNAMAT so far I have applied. As I said before, I am sure it will be perfect for the area I applied it today. That was my only use for it to tighten up the trunk floor and over all trunk sound.
Old 08-08-2012, 08:16 PM
Engineer in Training

Received 127 Likes on 98 Posts
Do I spy a JL power kit?
Old 08-08-2012, 08:33 PM
21 Acura RDX Aspec

Originally Posted by LockDots
Do I spy a JL power kit?
NEGATIVE... Wah Wah Waaaaaaaaaaaaaah

IXOS GT FLEX ULTRA GRADE 4awg power cable My RCA's are also IXOS RCA600's (2x)

http://www.ixoswire.com/products/int.../rca600-series

Last edited by JayVee; 08-08-2012 at 08:37 PM.
Old 08-08-2012, 08:36 PM
Engineer in Training

oh wow, lol. Totally looks like the JL wire I ran today.
Old 08-08-2012, 08:39 PM
21 Acura RDX Aspec

oh wow, lol. Totally looks like the JL wire I ran today.
Old 08-09-2012, 06:58 AM
21 Acura RDX Aspec

Does anyone here have any experience or know off hand if the concave gaped space under each butt side of the rear seats fits or has enough room to mount my RAINBOW Passive C/O's ? Thanks
Old 08-09-2012, 02:56 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 594 Likes on 457 Posts
I do not think so! And you would certainly feel them when you sat down for sure.
Old 08-09-2012, 06:37 PM
Engineer in Training

How big are they? Better yet, where are you putting the amp? Maybe next to them?
Old 08-09-2012, 06:55 PM
Team Owner

If you're not putting anything else under the front seats, that would be a good dead space for them.
Old 08-09-2012, 07:27 PM
21 Acura RDX Aspec

Originally Posted by pohljm
I do not think so! And you would certainly feel them when you sat down for sure.
Thanks

How big are they? Better yet, where are you putting the amp? Maybe next to them?
Circle shapped SIZE approx 4in round and maybe 1.5-2in thick. Not big at all. That is why I though of under the bench rear seat. Amp location will be in the rear...somewhere ~(undisclosed) But end result, I am trying to hide as much as possible keeping the OEM look.

If you're not putting anything else under the front seats, that would be a good dead space for them.
Passenger front seat will house the AC Matrix.