Pics of the new USASpec PA11-HON2Y NOW w/ included XM y-cable

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2006, 12:46 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thanks for your advice! hmmm...i never use XM because of my ipod, but i wanna make sure that i will be able to use my radio, my navigation, my XM, my cd player, my tape player, and my ipod w/o any ruined sound quality. can i still ignore the auxilary audio inputs?
Old 09-26-2006, 02:28 PM
Safety Car

Received 39 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by quietcoolone
Midnight
It is my understanding that the audio inputs (L&R RCA) are there for you to connect any audio source (DVD Player, MP3, Satellite radio) to the radio.. the unit also controls and charges iPod products using the dock connector. You can use the unit as an aux input if you don't have an iPod.
To answer you questions, those inputs need not be connected to anything for the PA11-HON2y to work as described.-- the Aux inputs are optional.
Anyone else care to opine?
, but this question is in the wrong thread.

you can leave the aux in blank if you're not using them. Personally, I would extend the plugs somewhere so that if you want to use them later, you'll have easy access to them.
Old 10-01-2006, 04:38 PM
You like?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
for all the DIY'ers : how did you you guys unplug the factory radio? and then plug in the Y cable back in?

did most just use this tool? if so where can i get?

Originally Posted by Crook
Sorry about the nice thumbnails.

Old 10-02-2006, 10:47 PM
SSM 6MT

Angry

Does anyone know if this fixes the 3rd gen iPods not turning on automatically (usually it happens when you don't use the iPod for an hour or so)? I've emailed them on 9/2, no response, again on 9/6, no response. I just sent another email about upgrading today. Their lack of service is sad.
Old 10-02-2006, 11:09 PM
Safety Car

Received 39 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by theone
for all the DIY'ers : how did you you guys unplug the factory radio? and then plug in the Y cable back in?

did most just use this tool? if so where can i get?
I've read that a few people just used coat hangers instead of buying the tool.
Old 10-13-2006, 01:21 AM
06 Antracite/Ebony 6MT

I guess I'm missing something as usual. I saw the post that you can still use 6 cds. How do you make the head unit select the HON2Y if you have 6 cds in it?
Old 10-13-2006, 08:58 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by tnmg
I guess I'm missing something as usual. I saw the post that you can still use 6 cds. How do you make the head unit select the HON2Y if you have 6 cds in it?
Check post number 34+ to answer your question
Old 10-13-2006, 11:43 AM
06 Antracite/Ebony 6MT

Originally Posted by shayan
Check post number 34+ to answer your question
I read that post and the one before it and after it. That's what lead me to post. I don't get it.

Normally, I have 6 CDs or DVD-As(thanks adobeman) loaded in my in-dash player. Can I have this with the HON2Y installed and be able to use the iPod? If so, what buttons do I press? Thanks for the help. I'm going to thumb through my manual and play with the buttons (don't have the HON2Y yet).

Thanks
Old 10-13-2006, 11:55 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 131 Likes on 79 Posts
You can have 6 CDs in the head unit. What the USA Spec unit does is, it tells the head unit to go into AUX mode and accesses "CD 5" (direct mode) or "CD 6" (playlist mode) depending on what mode you have the USA Spec unit set to, so those are virtual CDs, its not really trying to access your REAL CD 5 or 6. When you press CD/TAPE, it takes the head unit into AUX mode and when you press it again, it takes it back to CD mode so you can play your actual CDs and DVD-As
Old 10-13-2006, 06:42 PM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Does anyone have a picture of the actual interface of the PA11-HON2y in action showing the cd/track?
Old 10-13-2006, 06:44 PM
Pro

re

i wanted to know if i can use those aux inputs for a rca connection for an aftermarket amp? will i get a signal? would it be strong enough for an aftermarket amp?

let me know

thanks
Old 10-15-2006, 04:40 AM
SSM 6MT

Originally Posted by italian_spak
i wanted to know if i can use those aux inputs for a rca connection for an aftermarket amp? will i get a signal? would it be strong enough for an aftermarket amp?

let me know

thanks
Uh... They're inputs, not outputs. You won't get a signal to run an amp.
Old 10-15-2006, 04:47 AM
SSM 6MT

Okay so I finally upgraded my USA SPEC PA11-HON2 to the new USA SPEC PA11-HON2y. They were able to ship one out while I kept my original, and I just have to return the original and they'll give me a credit, but it will still cost me $15 to upgrade the original (I had to PayPal them $90 to do this and they'll PayPal me $75 when then get my shipment).

I had problems with my 3G iPod not autoplaying if you didn't use it within the last hour, this is fixed. Now my dash display shows a CD #(currently 6), track # (doesn't match the iPod, no big deal) and the track time.

There is a new potentiometer on the USA SPEC that I have no idea what it is for since my old one didn't have it, and they didn't send me instructions. Does anyone know what this is for??? It's currently set at #4. I assume it's some kind of gain control for the inputs but would like to be sure.
Old 10-19-2006, 05:16 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just ordered the USAspec PA11-HON2Y from discount car stereo after reading for a couple hours about the 3/4 or so different units. They are in VA so I had to pay tax, came to about 160, but hopefully that means I'll get it quicker.

Will post once I've got everything installed and working.
Old 12-28-2006, 12:32 PM
Cruisin'

Well, my first crack at putting at putting this in was discouraging. Snapped off a couple of those little plastic pieces, and I couldn't see enough space to move around in there for the life of me (Let alone how you snake the ipod connector in to the center).

After I superglue the plastic pieces back on, I'll give it another look. At that point, I'm guessing that the cost of installation will look cheap compared to the time I might spend on it. Hopefully that won't be too expensive.
Old 12-29-2006, 04:14 PM
Ticket Slow Drivers

Just installed the HON2Y in my 2004 TL, no navi. Took the advice of this great forum and used a coat hanger to remove the XM plug...took a (long) while, but worth it not to take apart the dash.

Used a long screw driver to reinstall the plug, put the box on top of the computer & ran the IPOD connector in the glove box. Done deal.

Got my unit from Crutchfield, was initially on backorder...
Old 12-31-2006, 03:52 PM
Cruisin'

I have a question about the install. I am trying to unhook the white navigation plug from the back of the cd player. Is the "tab" that everyone has mentioned on the top, broad side of the plug (rather than something on the side)? Should the plug "pop" out when I hit this tab?

I am expecting it to look the white part of the USASpec cable that plugs in to the cd player.
Old 01-01-2007, 03:17 PM
Cruisin'

After much bellyaching, I finally got this in.

1. I thought the easiest part was unplugging and plugging in the connectors. I used my pinky to push the little tab at the top of the navigation connector, and it slipped right off without trouble.

I was able to get the usa spec connector in without much more trouble. The key was just getting down low enough see the rim around the port hole on the back of the cd player. After I could see where it had to go, nudging it in to position was easy. I use a combination of my fingers and the paint can tool to nudge it around. It helped to temporarily thread the long part of the usa spec cable and the female part from above (through a large hole in the metal part of the center console bracket). This allowed me to get my fingers in there and to see what was going on.

2. I put the usa spec box under the driver's seat for easy access (in case they do that firmware update or I need to change the dip switch). However, I still ran the ipod cable back to center console and in to the upper compartment under the cd player. There is a gap at the top, front of the upper compartment that lets you slip the ipod cable in. It even has enough slack so that you can pull out the ipod and control it manually. I taped the cable down so that the door could still open and close fully.

3. I still have to put every thing back together. I took off the panel under the steering wheel (it hangs off), the drive side panel, and the left bezel. I'm in the process of super gluing the various plastic bits that broke off (only a few things). Hopefully, I can put the panels on without re-breaking the glued components. The parts I broke weren't major, though, and I didn't notice any problems caused by not having them after the first attempted install.

4. From my initial (20 minute, non driving) tests, everything sounded great. I really like the ability to control everything from the steering wheel and the auto song resume. The sound quality is great. The tape adapter that I was using would only play sound out of the left speakers. I was really missing out on sound quality.
Old 01-01-2007, 06:51 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by tenuki
After much bellyaching, I finally got this in.

1. I thought the easiest part was unplugging and plugging in the connectors. I used my pinky to push the little tab at the top of the navigation connector, and it slipped right off without trouble.

I was able to get the usa spec connector in without much more trouble. The key was just getting down low enough see the rim around the port hole on the back of the cd player. After I could see where it had to go, nudging it in to position was easy. I use a combination of my fingers and the paint can tool to nudge it around. It helped to temporarily thread the long part of the usa spec cable and the female part from above (through a large hole in the metal part of the center console bracket). This allowed me to get my fingers in there and to see what was going on.

2. I put the usa spec box under the driver's seat for easy access (in case they do that firmware update or I need to change the dip switch). However, I still ran the ipod cable back to center console and in to the upper compartment under the cd player. There is a gap at the top, front of the upper compartment that lets you slip the ipod cable in. It even has enough slack so that you can pull out the ipod and control it manually. I taped the cable down so that the door could still open and close fully.

3. I still have to put every thing back together. I took off the panel under the steering wheel (it hangs off), the drive side panel, and the left bezel. I'm in the process of super gluing the various plastic bits that broke off (only a few things). Hopefully, I can put the panels on without re-breaking the glued components. The parts I broke weren't major, though, and I didn't notice any problems caused by not having them after the first attempted install.

4. From my initial (20 minute, non driving) tests, everything sounded great. I really like the ability to control everything from the steering wheel and the auto song resume. The sound quality is great. The tape adapter that I was using would only play sound out of the left speakers. I was really missing out on sound quality.
Thanks for the detailed report, Tenuki. I dunno about others around here, but based on what I've read from you so far, I suspect you and I are of similar "ability", so your report really gives me a lot of confidence to do my install as well.
Old 01-03-2007, 09:15 PM
Cruisin'

^Thanks, I guess. Bookmark this site, if you haven't: http://estore.honda.com

It has exploded schematics that can help out, a lot. I wish I had found it before I started the install. You can also order replacement parts if you hose something up too badly (there are cheaper sites). (70$+ to replace the bezel !)

Here are the relevant diagrams:

You want to take the bezel off (part 9, dia 2), then the part under the steering wheel (part 7, dia 1), then the side panel (part 7, dia 2). Note the positions and orientations of the tabs on these parts in the diagrams. Pull so that you don't break them off.
Old 01-13-2007, 07:09 PM
Advanced

Before Christmas I bought a HON2Y for my 2005 TL Navi. Thanks to this forum, I called customer service to verify that USASpec would need to upgrade the firmware and sell me an extra long iPod connection cable. Customer service charged me $113 and said they would swap my unit after they reopened after the Vegas CES. I shipped my brand new unit and paid them via PayPal.

The new unit arrived today along with a single cable that connects the unit and to the radio. There was a packing slip that said my unit was replaced due to skipping. No iPod cable was included. No instruction manual. Just a box and a single cable. <sigh> Now, I'm waiting until next week when they reopen to get the missing pieces back. Not impressive.
Old 01-13-2007, 07:20 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by kmtoner
Before Christmas I bought a HON2Y for my 2005 TL Navi. Thanks to this forum, I called customer service to verify that USASpec would need to upgrade the firmware and sell me an extra long iPod connection cable. Customer service charged me $113 and said they would swap my unit after they reopened after the Vegas CES. I shipped my brand new unit and paid them via PayPal.

The new unit arrived today along with a single cable that connects the unit and to the radio. There was a packing slip that said my unit was replaced due to skipping. No iPod cable was included. No instruction manual. Just a box and a single cable. <sigh> Now, I'm waiting until next week when they reopen to get the missing pieces back. Not impressive.
Interesting, though, that they documented the reason for the exchange.
Old 05-31-2007, 02:25 AM
Oakland Team Nighthawker

I'm looking to buy this and have it installed in the Oakland/SF area.

Any suggestions for folks who can do this well? I looked at the posters in this and related threads and didn't see anyone from the bay.