AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   3G TL Audio, Bluetooth, Electronics & Navigation (https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-audio-bluetooth-electronics-navigation-94/)
-   -   Pics of the new USASpec PA11-HON2Y NOW w/ included XM y-cable (https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-audio-bluetooth-electronics-navigation-94/pics-new-usaspec-pa11-hon2y-now-w-included-xm-y-cable-602666/)

brianp6621 08-23-2006 03:33 PM

Pics of the new USASpec PA11-HON2Y NOW w/ included XM y-cable

Well I just got my updated USASpec PA11-HON2Y.

To my surprise it seems to have a Y-adapter built right in to the cable. From everything on here, with the previous version you needed to buy the y-cable seperately (which I already had). So that must be at least part of the reason for the new "Y" in the model number, besides the compatibility fixes to issues everyone on here has had.

Here is the package.
http://i.pbase.com/g2/82/88482/3/65646504.Hwk1cJhi.jpg

Here are the contents where you can clearly see the y cable.
http://i.pbase.com/g2/82/88482/3/65646505.i5hA77KS.jpg

Pretty nice huh, so for the same price you now get the full compatibilty (as confirmed by members on here) and a built-in Y-cable.

I will be installing this sometime between now and this weekend to confirm everything works but it is looking good.

BTW, if you want to know where I got mine and possibly get in on a group buy ($119) head over to my other thread .

Hope this helps!

Oh yeah, and if anyone needs a y-cable, I have one on the way I'll sell for $15+ shipping.

brianp6621 08-23-2006 11:59 PM

Well I am impatient so I installed it tonight. Works perfectly, XM is perfect no bleed, ipod controls seem to work although I didn't have much time to play with it. Aux in from the MG-25 works great. Overall everything is great. I don't know how hard it would be with the standard Y-cable but even removing the side panel, it was still a little difficult to manuveur the new connector into place.

Overall I am VERY please and glad to be rid of the cassette adapter.

datmrman 08-24-2006 12:05 AM

If this was out a few months earlier, I would have used it in my install. Oh well.

Thanks for the update!

BTW, do you hear any whining noises when the Medigate is powering up?

brianp6621 08-24-2006 01:50 AM

Whining through the speakers or directly from the HD? I don't remember hearing any through the speakers but I didn't have much time with it before I had to come in. It will get a more thorough listening tomorrow.

datmrman 08-24-2006 03:23 AM

Whining through the speakers. Set the USA Spec to aux mode, set the head unit volume to about 16-18, and power up the Mediagate.

Use it for a while and give us a review on it. :wish:

brianp6621 08-24-2006 11:33 AM

Ok, I will check that out today. I didn't notice anything on the way to work today, everything seemed clean.

However I did notice that if in AUX mode and watching the MG25 and I shut the car off there is a slight thump. I have a feeling it is because the USASpec is loosing the audio feed (from MG25) just a hair before it actually shuts off itself. I haven't checked to see if this happens when listening to the iPod.
I will check things more thoroughly today.

I also haven't finalized the mounting (my center console is still apart) I wanted to hide the USASpec all the way in front of the center console (basically under the heater switches) but didn't realize the front cupholder sits there when the console is slid forward. I need to figure something else out tonight.

brianp6621 08-24-2006 12:40 PM

I just checled it out for you and I get no audio whine at all when the MG25 starts up (other than directly from the HD). Maybe try jiggling the audio cables a little? Sometimes that headphone connection can be a little flakey.

I also confirmed I get no thump when playing the ipod and it shuts off so it is just the timing between the apec and the MG25 shutting off.

sunnyflava99 08-24-2006 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by datmrman
If this was out a few months earlier, I would have used it in my install. Oh well.

Thanks for the update!

BTW, do you hear any whining noises when the Medigate is powering up?

Used instead of the PIE X-3?
Is there a source selector in the USA Spec?
I just ordered the pie x-3, should I return that and use this instead?

Thanks again.

sunny

cM3go 08-24-2006 02:31 PM

So this is the work all solution for ipod/aux on the TL (with or without Navi)???

This will retain XM while adding in ipod/aux (or both?!) to the car?

Can I control the ipod and not have to deal with the playlist modes like the Acura solution?

brianp6621 08-24-2006 04:02 PM

Yes to both of you. This is by far the best ipod and single aux in solution for our cars right now.

The only reason I would go with the PIE x3 is if you need 3 inputs or don't have an ipod. If you plan on using an ipod and only need 1 more aux in then this is the perfect product for you.

Yes with this unit alone (the HON2y, the previous HON2 required a seperate y cable) you will retain XM and put ipod and one other aux audio source into your head unit.

The USA Spec has 2 mode, playlist (which is pretty pointless in my opinion) which allows you to create 5 playlists on the ipod and select them like discs (with disc 6 being the play all option) and direct mode (what most people use) which allows you control from the ipod itself while still getting track up and down from the steering wheel.

brianp6621 08-24-2006 04:04 PM

Oh and the source selector on the ipod(at least in direct mode, that is all I have used) is disc 5 vs disc 6 with disc 5 being the ipod and disc 6 being the aux in.

datmrman 08-25-2006 01:35 AM

Originally Posted by brianp6621
The only reason I would go with the PIE x3 is if you need 3 inputs or don't have an ipod. If you plan on using an ipod and only need 1 more aux in then this is the perfect product for you.

:agree: or you don't like the idea of having your iPod charging all the time (or charging when it doesn't really need to be charged).

What I don't like about the PIE X3 is the amount of pieces: 1 huge brain and 1 mid sized selector switch box. The PIE X3 also requires a 12V power tap. This makes the install a little cumbersome, but still very doable.

The USA Spec is a simple one piece plug and play.

brianp6621 08-25-2006 11:26 AM

:agree: or you don't like the idea of having your iPod charging all the time (or charging when it doesn't really need to be charged).

But the USASpec only charges the iPod for 1 hour after the last use and then automatically turns off. So to me it is a win-win, you always have a charged iPod. :) I guess if you are super concerned about degrading the battery life by charging then this might worry you but I always had my iPod connected to a charger in the car anyway and I haven't had any problems.

datmrman 08-25-2006 12:02 PM

:keke:

I charge my iPod ONLY after the battery dies. I've done this with a majority of my electrical goodies. I guess I am just anal. :tongue:

cM3go 08-25-2006 12:32 PM

Where can one purchase the USASpec PA11-HON2Y?

brianp6621 08-25-2006 12:43 PM

I charge my iPod ONLY after the battery dies. I've done this with a majority of my electrical goodies. I guess I am just anal. :tongue:

Hate to break it to you, but a full/deep discharge of Lithium-ion batteries is exactly what is advised against as it can cause premature battery failure. These batteries much prefer to be topped off frequently and never fully discharged.

http://www.batteryuniversity.com/parttwo-34.htm

Originally Posted by http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/batteries.htm
Care and Use: Completely different from Ni-Cd and Ni-MH, lithiums prefer to be charged early and often. They don't like to be run all the way down. You will get only a few hundred cycles if you run them all the way down each time, and thousands if you charge them up while still mostly full. Lithium Ion's life tends to be measured by how much total energy comes in and out of the battery and not by cycles. Actually you can get more total energy from the battery by only partly using the battery's capacity. Thus I always charge every Lithium Ion battery every night when I've used it the day before, completely unlike the other technology cells. I've gotten great service out of every one I own; I charge my cell phone daily and I've been using it for years.

brianp6621 08-25-2006 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by cTLgo

Right now the only place I know of is local and is the purpose of this thread. You can try and contact Crutchfield or enfigcarstereo or discountstereo as those are the other main places people on here have bought the old version from and see when they think they will have them.

cM3go 08-25-2006 02:10 PM

I googled it and couldn't find it anywhere. What was the shop you got it from?

btw brian, do you have navi?

datmrman 08-25-2006 02:10 PM

Hate to break it to you, but a full/deep discharge of Lithium-ion batteries is exactly what is advised against as it can cause premature battery failure. These batteries much prefer to be topped off frequently and never fully discharged.

Interesting read there. I wonder why the Apple support website doesn't mention this.

They state this:

Use iPod Regularly
For proper maintenance of a lithium-based battery, it’s important to keep the electrons in it moving occasionally. Be sure to go through at least one charge cycle per month. If you use your iPod infrequently (gasp), you might want to add a reminder to your calendar program.
If it is good to go through one chrage cycle a month, I thought it be better to go through a charge cycle every day.

From Wikipedia:

A unique drawback of the Li-ion battery is that its life span is dependent upon aging from time of manufacturing (shelf life) regardless of whether it was charged, and not just on the number of charge/discharge cycles. This drawback is not widely publicized.
Oh well, I guess we will both stick to whichever method works out for us.

Back on subject, it seems like this device is very new. Its not yet listed on enfigcarstero, logjamelectronics, nor the USA Spec website! :ugh:

datmrman 08-25-2006 02:12 PM

cTLgo, brian posted this thread: Possible SF Bay Area group buy on New version of USA Spec?

enormus 08-25-2006 06:23 PM

This used to be necessary with the older rechargeable batteries, but the new ones (laptops, cell phones, ipods, etc.) are much less susceptible to developing a charge "memory" (meaning it only holds part of the charge from continuously being "topped off").

However, it is still a good idea to disconnect your Ipod or other device before turning your car on or off. Auto electrical systems can do some funny -- or not so funny, as the case may be -- things at that stage.

VelfarreClubber 08-26-2006 01:39 AM

Originally Posted by cTLgo

Circuit City and Als & Eds Autosound is the biggest retailor that i've seen carry the usa-spec products

Yes to both of you. This is by far the best ipod and single aux in solution for our cars right now.

Yes with this unit alone (the HON2y, the previous HON2 required a seperate y cable) you will retain XM and put ipod and one other aux audio source into your head unit.

The USA Spec has 2 mode, playlist (which is pretty pointless in my opinion) which allows you to create 5 playlists on the ipod and select them like discs (with disc 6 being the play all option) and direct mode (what most people use) which allows you control from the ipod itself while still getting track up and down from the steering wheel.

So what about when you turn off the car would it stop playing on the ipod and eventually shut off?

shayan 08-27-2006 01:51 PM

I think I am going to go to circuit city and see if they can order me this if they dont sell it. good info, thanks for sharing it.

oh another question, How well does this work with the navtodvd and the rear camera? are there any problems that you experienced?

enormus 08-27-2006 02:50 PM

So, anybody using this without issues in a 2005 TL? 2004?

brianp6621 08-27-2006 11:45 PM

Originally Posted by VelfarreClubber
Circuit City and Als & Eds Autosound is the biggest retailor that i've seen carry the usa-spec products

So what about when you turn off the car would it stop playing on the ipod and eventually shut off?

Circuit City carries USASpec but only their Aux in solutions (not the ipod solution, at least when I checked).

When you turn the car off the ipod stops playing and will shutoff and stop charging 1 hour later.

brianp6621 08-27-2006 11:48 PM

Originally Posted by shayan
I think I am going to go to circuit city and see if they can order me this if they dont sell it. good info, thanks for sharing it.

oh another question, How well does this work with the navtodvd and the rear camera? are there any problems that you experienced?

Let us know if Circuit City is able to order this. I got a note from USASpec sayingt o expect seeing it on crutchfield in a few weeks.

There isn't really any interface between this and doms nav2go or reverse camera. A media device (like the MG25) connects to this for audio and dom's nav2go for video. The ONLY slight issueI have noticed is that when I am watching the MG25 and listening to the audio via the AUX in of the USASpec, if I shut the car off, there is a slight pop. As I mentioned before, I believe this is because the MG25 is losing power at the same time as the USASpec. However it isn't really loud and I'm not at all concerned about it.

bTwix 08-29-2006 02:54 PM

FYI ... USASpec is providing upgrades for existing PA11-HON2 -> PA11-HON2Y. They took about a week to respond to my email, but gave me a # to call and they'll email you a RA form.

Just fill that out and ship your unit out, they'll do the update and ship it back.

info@usaspec.com
:thumbsup:

brianp6621 08-29-2006 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by bTwix
FYI ... USASpec is providing upgrades for existing PA11-HON2 -> PA11-HON2Y. They took about a week to respond to my email, but gave me a # to call and they'll email you a RA form.

Just fill that out and ship your unit out, they'll do the update and ship it back.

info@usaspec.com
:thumbsup:

Thanks for the update. Just so that everyone is clear, this works fine if you already purchased the PA11-HON2, but it should be know that there is the added difference between the PA11-HON2 and HON2Y of the built-in y cable. So if you are going to buy now, either order through my dealer or wait for it to become available, don't go the HON2 route.

Thanks

bTwix 08-30-2006 03:25 AM

Thanks for the update. Just so that everyone is clear, this works fine if you already purchased the PA11-HON2, but it should be know that there is the added difference between the PA11-HON2 and HON2Y of the built-in y cable. So if you are going to buy now, either order through my dealer or wait for it to become available, don't go the HON2 route.

Thanks

:agree:

dave1476 08-31-2006 11:34 AM

I also haven't finalized the mounting (my center console is still apart) I wanted to hide the USASpec all the way in front of the center console (basically under the heater switches) but didn't realize the front cupholder sits there when the console is slid forward. I need to figure something else out tonight.

I'm curious; where and how did you end up mounting the USASpec unit?

brianp6621 08-31-2006 12:11 PM

Mine is under the center console next to the parking brake cables. I knew I wanted it completely hidden and wouldn't need easy access to it again so I put it under there while I had the console out.

vadao 08-31-2006 04:44 PM

How is the iPod activitated. Currently I switch between CD, Radio and XM. What would be the process of switching between XM and iPod?

brianp6621 08-31-2006 04:55 PM

You hit the tape/disc button until it goes to Disc 5, which is input from the ipod. Disc 6 is input from the aux inputs.

vadao 08-31-2006 05:02 PM

You hit the tape/disc button until it goes to Disc 5, which is input from the ipod. Disc 6 is input from the aux inputs.

Does that mean I can never have my CD changer full with all 6 CD's. Would I only be able to use 4 CDS?

brianp6621 08-31-2006 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by vadao
Does that mean I can never have my CD changer full with all 6 CD's. Would I only be able to use 4 CDS?

No, this is refering to an external CD changer. When hooked up, your head unit will think you also have an external 6 disc changer. None of the normal radio/xm/CD functions are affected

Reach 09-01-2006 01:16 PM

Hey man, glad I finally found this thread!

I've been using a HON2 in my 06 TSX w/ navi for months now w/ a y-cable, I'm defintly going to ask them if they will upgrade me.

1 big question: When powering the car on, and it is already in CD-C mode from the last time you were using it, do you have any bleedover from XM? Whatever station I last had on XM2 bleeds over until I switch modes, but switching back clears the problem.

Does the new one solve this as well??? This would be my dream for it. Thanks!

brianp6621 09-01-2006 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by Reach
Hey man, glad I finally found this thread!

I've been using a HON2 in my 06 TSX w/ navi for months now w/ a y-cable, I'm defintly going to ask them if they will upgrade me.

1 big question: When powering the car on, and it is already in CD-C mode from the last time you were using it, do you have any bleedover from XM? Whatever station I last had on XM2 bleeds over until I switch modes, but switching back clears the problem.

Does the new one solve this as well??? This would be my dream for it. Thanks!

No it definitely doesn't do this. If I left it in CDC mode and was listening to the ipod, when I get back in the car the ipod starts right back up and that's all I hear, no XM bleed, ever.

Reach 09-01-2006 01:27 PM

Freakin' sweet then. I sent them an email, here's to hoping they'll provide me an upgraded one!

quietcoolone 09-01-2006 02:57 PM

PA11-HON2y is available this website

I searched both crutchfield and CC websites, but found only the PA11-HON2... Googled PA11-HON2Y and found it on discount car stereo.com The PA11-HON2Y " availability" 9/5/06.-- which means they will have them in stock by early next week.
I wonder what is the difference between the PA11-HON2Y and the CAS-HON2Y + PA11-HON2?

brianp6621 09-01-2006 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by Reach
Freakin' sweet then. I sent them an email, here's to hoping they'll provide me an upgraded one!

You have to send your old one in, they upgrade it and send it back to you. Check out the main USASpec thread "THE alternative to music link"