Our stock HU plays SACD, right?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2011, 10:14 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Our stock HU plays SACD, right?

I just ordered a bunch of SACD disks assuming since they do DVD-A they will do SACD. I've played SACD disks in it before but I just found out that many are hybrids that offer both SACD and regular CD on the same disk so they will play in a regular CD player if needed. I'm pretty sure ours will, the dynamics seemed improved on the SACD disks that I have but I figured I would check to see if I just wasted $100.
Old 11-02-2011, 11:22 PM
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Sorry.

Your $100 isn't wasted if you enjoy playing them on some other system; you just won't be able to play the SACD layer on the TL's HU.
Old 11-03-2011, 08:10 AM
Keep Right Except to Pass

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts
If it's a hybrid SACD, such as the Rolling Stones reissues on the ABKCO label, the CD layer will play in the TL. The SACD layer won't. If the disc is not a hybrid (such as Aerosmith's O, Yeah! greatest-hits package), it will not play in the TL.

Often the CD layer on the hybrid SACD sounds better than the original CD release because the SACD re-release often involves a remastering or a remix or some such.

Note that the TL's stereo doesn't bear the SACD logo anywhere but does bear the DVD-A logo. That's a good tipoff even if you didn't already know the TL doesn't play the DSD layer on an SACD:

Old 11-03-2011, 02:29 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
That sucks. I bought some CDs that aren't exactly my favorites for the next SoCal audio meet. I think they're all hybrids so maybe I'll gain a little something.

So is there a way to burn something with the additional dynamic range of SACD on a DVD that the TL can read?

Especially with the new mids, the source quality makes all the difference. Even stuff burned off of iTunes sounds less detailed and a little muffled.
Old 11-03-2011, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by I hate cars
That sucks. I bought some CDs that aren't exactly my favorites for the next SoCal audio meet. I think they're all hybrids so maybe I'll gain a little something.

So is there a way to burn something with the additional dynamic range of SACD on a DVD that the TL can read?

Especially with the new mids, the source quality makes all the difference. Even stuff burned off of iTunes sounds less detailed and a little muffled.
Depends on what you want to burn. I'm not aware of any way to rip an SACD to a format like FLAC. If you could do that, you could then burn the FLACs to a DVD-Audio for use in the TL, but insofar as I know nobody has been able to crack the SACD copy-protection format (and if anyone has, they've kept quiet so as not to be sued on DMCA grounds).

You can download high-rez re-issues from HDTracks.com as FLAC files and then burn a DVD-Audio. (I've done that with the 24-bit/88.2 kHz releases of Beggars Banquet, Their Satanic Majesties, and Let It Bleed and the DVD-Audio sounds great. In my home office I usually play the downloads via a Logitech Squeezebox Touch, which can handle up to 24-bit/96 kHz recordings.) The selection there is somewhat limited, but it might be worth a look. I believe there are other places that sell legal high-rez downloads, but off the top of my head I'm not sure what they are other than I recall reading that Linn (the turntable manufacturer) had some kind of high-rez store set up. I didn't pay a lot of attention because I got the idea they focus on classical music.

You might try searching a site like Stereophile.com to find information about sources for high-rez music. Their editor-in-chief is really into the music server thing in terms of integrating one's computer into a high-end audio system.
Old 11-03-2011, 08:53 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
IHC, if you have a SACD player for home with a 5.1 or 7.1 surround system, you'll still enjoy them.

Besides, I think the SACD's have the same dynamic range as DVD-Audio discs.

Even before I bought my Type S, I chose to go with DVD-Audio discs. The DVD-Audio discs offer so much more-discographies, Liner Notes, Music Video's, etc. With SACD's, all you get is the music. I figured why buy just the music when you can get music and a whole lot more!

Last edited by Steven Bell; 11-03-2011 at 08:58 PM.
Old 11-04-2011, 08:09 AM

I solved the problem on my main stereo system at home with a Marantz universal player, i.e., it plays DVD-A and SACD as well as traditional DVDs and CDs.

Of course, then a couple of years later along came Blu-ray, but the TV in that room was purchased in 2002 and so doesn't have an HDMI port and has a max resolution of 1080i, so the Blu-ray player got hooked up to the newer TV upstairs.
Old 11-04-2011, 10:11 AM
Codename Duchess

Received 80 Likes on 57 Posts
Both formats are more dead than Steve Jobs.

See, that's ironic because he invented the iPod.