Nexus Tablet Install Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2014, 01:41 PM
B-MAC

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Nexus Tablet Install Question

I am in the middle of installing a 2nd generation Nexus 7 to replace my navigation. However, I don't want to completely get rid of the navigation screen. I have cut out the compartments below the radio and plan on putting the navigation there. My question is for those of you that have moved the navigation screen/HVAC screen down there, how do you secure it to where it will stay put?

Old 09-24-2014, 04:57 PM
Racer

Received 102 Likes on 72 Posts
Holy Smokes! Have you actually put the screen down there, or is this a photoshoped image? I can't help you as I just installed a tablet to replace the Navi and fully removed the old screen, but would love to see the final product. Good luck! Bump for a creative project!!!
Old 09-25-2014, 07:31 AM
B-MAC

Originally Posted by triax37
Holy Smokes! Have you actually put the screen down there, or is this a photoshoped image? I can't help you as I just installed a tablet to replace the Navi and fully removed the old screen, but would love to see the final product. Good luck! Bump for a creative project!!!
It's no photoshop and is possible. I've seen it a couple of times on different peoples rides. I know it's possible and I'm actually done with everything except mounting the screen itself. I have hit a brick wall though and don't know how to secure it in place where the storage compartments used to be.

Old 09-30-2014, 11:02 AM
B-MAC

Just finished everything. I figured everything out on my own. Sometimes it's just a matter of grabbing a beer and sitting in your car to think about what could be done. I noticed that there are two tabs sticking out on both sides of the navigation screen. I used that to secure it to the passageways for the rear AC vent. Just used some small L brackets and then secured the navigation screen to it. Here's the end product.

I have the 2013 Nexus 7 installed for those wondering.
The following users liked this post:
justnspace (10-03-2014)
Old 09-30-2014, 12:24 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,120 Likes on 893 Posts
Awesome job

Would love to see some videos
Old 10-03-2014, 01:59 PM
B-MAC

Here's a quick video of this thing in action!

justnspace (10-03-2014)
Old 10-03-2014, 02:02 PM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
are you using bluetooth to connect your music?

or did you use an aux cord?

and this is something that I want to do, as i have a 2013 Nexus 7.
Old 10-03-2014, 06:18 PM
B-MAC

Originally Posted by justnspace
are you using bluetooth to connect your music?

or did you use an aux cord?

and this is something that I want to do, as i have a 2013 Nexus 7.
I am using a FM modulator I had lying around so I could create an Aux input on my 2006 TL. I ran a USB cable to my Fiio E17 DAC from the tablet. From there the Fiio converts the sound to an aux cable that plugs into my created aux port to get the music.

You could use bluetooth but direct connect has always had a better sound quality in my opinion. I did drill out the AC buttons a bit so I could fit a OTG cable into the tablet since the 2013 Nexus 7 has its power socket soldered onto the motherboard directly.
JMiles_T (11-07-2014)
Old 10-04-2014, 05:15 PM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
Originally Posted by big_mac65
I am using a FM modulator I had lying around so I could create an Aux input on my 2006 TL. I ran a USB cable to my Fiio E17 DAC from the tablet. From there the Fiio converts the sound to an aux cable that plugs into my created aux port to get the music.

You could use bluetooth but direct connect has always had a better sound quality in my opinion. I did drill out the AC buttons a bit so I could fit a OTG cable into the tablet since the 2013 Nexus 7 has its power socket soldered onto the motherboard directly.
i thought OTG cable wouldnt work with the N7 2013?

im very interested in doing this.
i figured you would have to drill the a/c buttons a little bit
Old 10-07-2014, 11:19 AM
B-MAC

It works perfectly fine with a rooted Nexus 7.
justnspace (10-07-2014)
Old 10-10-2014, 10:38 AM
Racer

As bigmac said, the OTG cable works fine. In 2012's version of the N7, the connection for the OTG cable is a little more flexible and you don't need to drill out the A/C buttons. In 2013's version of the N7, the connection for the OTG is positioned where you will need to create some additional space for the A/C buttons.
big_mac65 (10-10-2014)
Old 10-15-2014, 08:41 PM
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
I've been looking and can't find the answer. I have a Nexus 7 (2012) arriving next week.
Is there a way to use the OEM bluetooth to use Google Now voice, or do I need to get the iSimple with bluetooth?
It would be easier to say "direction to blah blah blah" instead of typing it in.
Old 10-15-2014, 09:09 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 214 Likes on 152 Posts
Originally Posted by Rhydon
I've been looking and can't find the answer. I have a Nexus 7 (2012) arriving next week.
Is there a way to use the OEM bluetooth to use Google Now voice, or do I need to get the iSimple with bluetooth?
It would be easier to say "direction to blah blah blah" instead of typing it in.
Interesting idea. I played with trying to get an external microphone to work for a while and didn't get very far. I don't think it would work with the OEM bluetooth though, but would be interesting to see what the tablet would do when tethered to the OEM bluetooth and you tried to place a call through the OEM bluetooth, my guess is nothing.

You could clip off a bluetooth headset somewhere in the car and use that for voice commands and that would work just fine with Google Now. You can even give Google a keyword that you can say to activate google now, so it constantly listens for that keyword like 'Google' and then when it hears it it activates listening for a voice command. So you could say 'Google navigate to .........' and it would pick up and interpret the command and perform some of the actions.

I was able to get an external bluetooth headset to pair with the tablet and use it for voice commands for Google Now, that wasn't too difficult.

The problem arose when trying to place calls from the tablet via a service like GrooveIP or Talkatone, where the receive audio was complete garbage and the audio routing wasn't working properly in the tablet (everything would go to the headset and rcv audio was just static). I had the tablet making calls using Google Voice through GrooveIP or Talkatone, however my microphone input was garbage. Google voice has since changed their service so I don't think it can be used any longer with a third party app like grooveip or talkatone.

The internal mic is difficult to use, due to it being buried in the dash once the install is done. It works, but it picks up a lot of noise so the distant end can barely hear you if you place a call and voice commands have a difficult time interpreting what you say due to all of the noise, if they pick up your command at all.

I'm sure there are apps out there to make the calls work now, I just haven't played with it for a while.

Sorry for off topic, nice job OP.
Old 10-15-2014, 11:45 PM
Racer

Very interesting thoughts, mzilvar. I just press the microphone button in Google Now and it mutes the other sounds - then it hears me fine when I say "directions to work" or "weather" or other commands.

So Rhydon, if you just just use the Google Now microphone button, it should work as you described. You don't need to use the TL's microphone or any other hardware.
Old 10-16-2014, 12:14 AM
Burning Brakes

Very interesting thoughts, mzilvar. I just press the microphone button in Google Now and it mutes the other sounds - then it hears me fine when I say "directions to work" or "weather" or other commands.

So Rhydon, if you just just use the Google Now microphone button, it should work as you described. You don't need to use the TL's microphone or any other hardware.
That's cool, yours probably picks up voice a bit better than mine for some reason. I should turn off the fan that's blowing on the tablet constantly and it'll probably work lol.. I did do that while trying to get it to function as a phone, just it was so hard for distant end to hear me while driving or even parked, especially while I had the ATLP quad exhaust on the car haha
Old 10-16-2014, 08:21 AM
B-MAC

That's what I do as well. Seems to work fine for me.
Old 10-16-2014, 09:05 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by mzilvar
That's cool, yours probably picks up voice a bit better than mine for some reason. I should turn off the fan that's blowing on the tablet constantly and it'll probably work lol.. I did do that while trying to get it to function as a phone, just it was so hard for distant end to hear me while driving or even parked, especially while I had the ATLP quad exhaust on the car haha
Ah yes, the fan. I know we PM'ed about that - my N7 worked great throughout Colorado's summer heat, without the fan (sitting unused next to me).

As for the voice recognition, I haven't tried to have it constantly "listen" for specific keywords like you mentioned - my guess is that it would struggle to hear/recognize those commands while music is playing. But, if I hit the microphone button, the music mutes and the commands seem to be pretty easily understood. Thanks again for all of your help!
Old 10-16-2014, 01:55 PM
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Thanks for the response. I've just been debating on whether to get an iSimple with bluetooth, or just go the less expensive route and only get one with aux inputs.

I read somewhere that the mic was no good, being buried in the dash, which was why I asked. All I needed it for would be for commands (not calls). I can use OEM bluetooth for phone calls. Does the Nexus 7 respond to "OK Google" like the newer Androids?

I plan on upgrading to the Nexus 7 in the next couple weeks and will hopefully remember to document (pics/video). Just need to gather the supplies. Down the road, i hope to add a backup camera powered by backup lights and connected to tablet by A/V to USB converter. Then have an app run (then close) to show video feed when it detects the camera.
Anyone do something of that nature yet?
Old 10-16-2014, 11:27 PM
Racer

Thanks for the response. I've just been debating on whether to get an iSimple with bluetooth, or just go the less expensive route and only get one with aux inputs.

I read somewhere that the mic was no good, being buried in the dash, which was why I asked. All I needed it for would be for commands (not calls). I can use OEM bluetooth for phone calls. Does the Nexus 7 respond to "OK Google" like the newer Androids?

I plan on upgrading to the Nexus 7 in the next couple weeks and will hopefully remember to document (pics/video). Just need to gather the supplies. Down the road, i hope to add a backup camera powered by backup lights and connected to tablet by A/V to USB converter. Then have an app run (then close) to show video feed when it detects the camera.
Re: "Ok, Google" - Like we've said, the Nexus 7 can be setup to constantly listen to commands, but the microphone may have a hard time hearing while music is playing.

Re: backup camera - I've covered this in my Nexus 7 install thread (below), including where to buy the converter.

https://acurazine.com/forums/audio-b...ctures-911259/
Old 10-16-2014, 11:27 PM
Burning Brakes

If you load a newer version of android you can accomplish those things.

Autodroid is going to be your best bet, right now it has the best development support for the Nexus 7 and is located here:

[ROM][4.4.4][F2FS/EXT4] AutoDroid 1.2 | Nexus 7 | XDA Forums

Otherwise if you have the 2nd gen nexus 7 then I'd look into USB-ROM, but you have to pay for the 2nd gen version of USB-ROM. Autodroid is free, but is developed for the 1st gen version, I don't know what else is out there for the 2nd generation version.
Old 07-03-2015, 05:13 AM
Racer

Received 52 Likes on 44 Posts
sorry to bump such an old thread, but does anyone know how the OP managed to get the navi screen down there? i have a nexus 7 tab setup but from what i remember the wire harness for the ac/temp controls on the bezel cant reach all the way down to the store compartment.. OP's last activity was on the site was about 9 months ago so i dont know if i can get in contact with him.. anyone else with this setup that might be able to chime in?
Old 07-03-2015, 07:51 AM
Registered Bunny

Received 1,073 Likes on 892 Posts
Originally Posted by champaned_out
sorry to bump such an old thread, but does anyone know how the OP managed to get the navi screen down there? i have a nexus 7 tab setup but from what i remember the wire harness for the ac/temp controls on the bezel cant reach all the way down to the store compartment.. OP's last activity was on the site was about 9 months ago so i dont know if i can get in contact with him.. anyone else with this setup that might be able to chime in?
You extend all of the cables...?
Old 07-03-2015, 11:55 AM
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by champaned_out
Solder longer wires onto the existing ones. Yes, all those wires.