Nexus 7 install thing

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2016, 11:37 PM
Registered. Nothing more.

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Nexus 7 install thing

I just recently got an 06' TL. And I was reading on other threads how they did the install. I heard about Fiio DAC and iSimple. I was wondering, why not keep it simple and have a car audio place install a wire to the stereo? That both charges and moves audio through it to the speakers and so on? Unless there is a good reason to get this whole Fiio DAC and iSimple and stuff like that to get it work? I know you loose some quality with the 3.5mm connector. I was simply wondering if I could keep it simple and just get a connector installed through the stereo for charge and audio.
Old 04-18-2016, 10:12 AM
Registered Bunny

Received 1,073 Likes on 892 Posts
Originally Posted by Whovain
I just recently got an 06' TL. And I was reading on other threads how they did the install. I heard about Fiio DAC and iSimple. I was wondering, why not keep it simple and have a car audio place install a wire to the stereo? That both charges and moves audio through it to the speakers and so on? Unless there is a good reason to get this whole Fiio DAC and iSimple and stuff like that to get it work? I know you loose some quality with the 3.5mm connector. I was simply wondering if I could keep it simple and just get a connector installed through the stereo for charge and audio.
What is your goal? If all you want is a 3.5mm/input jack, then yeah, there's very simple ways to do it. You definitely don't need to go the Nexus 7 & iSimple route. There's a DIY somewhere about making your own 3.5mm audio jack.

Now if your goal is somehow to have a USB connector on your radio that does USB audio and charging... it's much more complicated then just "wiring a connector".
Old 04-18-2016, 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by polobunny
What is your goal? If all you want is a 3.5mm/input jack, then yeah, there's very simple ways to do it. You definitely don't need to go the Nexus 7 & iSimple route. There's a DIY somewhere about making your own 3.5mm audio jack.

Now if your goal is somehow to have a USB connector on your radio that does USB audio and charging... it's much more complicated then just "wiring a connector".
I

I should have done more reading. Your right. Thanks.
Old 05-05-2016, 03:45 PM
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
Audio through a FiiO USB based digital-to-analog converter will sound way better because its DAC is better than the one built into the Nexus 7. The sound quality difference is significant.

Last edited by JMiles_T; 05-05-2016 at 03:47 PM. Reason: Clarification
Old 05-05-2016, 05:16 PM
Racer

Received 52 Likes on 44 Posts
if you dont care about sound quality you can certainly cheap out and just route your audio through the 3.5mm jack on the tablet.. however your audio quality will suffer.. your using the tiny amp in the tablet rather than having a dedicated mini amp (USB DAC) to power it. youll have to raise your car stereo volume to near max and it wont be nearly as loud as it should be and you might start clipping the amp in the nexus

I have my nexus hooked up to a FiO E7 USB DAC and it makes a huge improvement on sound quality... playing audio through my tablet to the speakers sound better than playing original non burned cds in the cd player
Old 05-11-2016, 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by champaned_out
if you dont care about sound quality you can certainly cheap out and just route your audio through the 3.5mm jack on the tablet.. however your audio quality will suffer.. your using the tiny amp in the tablet rather than having a dedicated mini amp (USB DAC) to power it. youll have to raise your car stereo volume to near max and it wont be nearly as loud as it should be and you might start clipping the amp in the nexus

I have my nexus hooked up to a FiO E7 USB DAC and it makes a huge improvement on sound quality... playing audio through my tablet to the speakers sound better than playing original non burned cds in the cd player
I agree. Just... Where on the stereo does it hook up to? I have been to many other forums and no mention of how it hooks up to the stereo. OR I'm blind and overlooked something
Old 05-11-2016, 11:45 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,752 Likes on 6,750 Posts
You'll need an Isimple or other audio interface since your car doesn't have an Aux port.
Old 05-14-2016, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by thoiboi
You'll need an Isimple or other audio interface since your car doesn't have an Aux port.
An Android Audio interface to the stereo?
Old 05-14-2016, 04:01 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,752 Likes on 6,750 Posts
Google Isimple, dice, grom, or USASpec
Old 05-14-2016, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by thoiboi
Google Isimple, dice, grom, or USASpec
Ok, I found this GROM thing.

GROM-USB3P-HON1 - Grom Usb3-Hon1 Honda / Acura Usb Ipod Mp3 Android Bluetooth Auxiliary Interface (Via Usb) [Plus Version] - GROM
Old 07-22-2016, 02:17 AM

Update

Ok. So, In time, Im going to get that thing from AutoToy and whenever I have the time, install the device into the car. From what I read, It looks like it is plug and play.

I do want to keep the navigation screen so Ill lower it to where those storage things are next to the selector fork controller. (I saw it on youtube)
I expect it to charge and play audio through the charge port.

Ill have another update when I get the grom device