Need your expert help with A.V for 06 TL with navi

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2009, 08:10 PM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need your expert help with A.V for 06 TL with navi

I have an 06 TL with Navi. I'd like the ipod hookup. Also possibly the ability to play dvd movies. I've read several threads on ipod adapters, navi hacks, but it seems like alot of work and room for error.

Would it be possible to keep the Navi screen just for the navi but replace the factory headunit for a dvd receiver like this? http://www.crutchfield.com/p_130AVHP...tp=20217&avf=N. Would there be any problems with the buttons on the steering wheel, navi, or installing it? When im in crutchfield and use the "fit my car" tool to find products that fit my car, the only dvd receivers that come up are the receivers that have the screen that come out and flip up. I don't want that, it wouldn't look clean. I'd like having the true in dash dvd receiver right below the navigation screen.

But compare all that with buying all the products to connect a video ipod to the navi and have that going.

I'm not an expert and I'm not sure what the best route to take.

Please help.
Old 07-10-2009, 08:13 PM
4th Gear

I forgot to add...according to crutchfield The indash dvd reciever i like says it wouldn't fit my car, but i don't see why that won't be the flip up receivers would? it looks like there would be enough room to replace the factory receiver if u had a mounting bracket.
Old 07-10-2009, 08:16 PM
Fearless DIY Guy

Received 374 Likes on 207 Posts
No offense, dude, but if you find connecting the iPod adapter to be a daunting task, you need to take this to a shop. This really is some pretty rudimentary stuff.
Old 07-10-2009, 10:42 PM
Advanced

going through the process of switching out the factory radio for something like you showed will probably be more time consuming and require more custom work than just doing something like the isimple along with dom's box. you'd had to buy the custom double din kit and find a way to fill in the notches on the aluminum piece from the factory knobs. and then you lose the steering wheel controls for the radio.

i just got done installing the pxamg isimple for my ipod video, dom's box and the peripheral is76 for my ipod touch and i absolutely love it. my car still looks factory for the most part and i wouldn't want it any other way.
Old 07-11-2009, 10:06 AM
4th Gear

Forgive me ahead of time for not knowing this, I'm new to all this, but if I have Dom's unit with the ipod adapter, I'll be able to watch ipod videos on the screen?
Old 07-11-2009, 10:28 AM
Advanced

yeah, you're going to need something to display the video (like Dom's box, Navtool, etc) and something else to relay the audio (like the blitzsafe, dice unit, isimple, etc). you don't necessarily need something as expensive as the isimple if you're just using your ipod for the video.

let me know exactly what you're hoping to accomplish and i can help you find what you need. like for me, i wanted to hook up both my ipod touch and ipod video. the ipod video is connected with the isimple and is controlled by the factory controls. i also used a combination of dom's box, the peripheral is76, and a proclip mount to connect my ipod touch. the video goes to dom's box and the audio is connected to the aux input of the isimple.
Old 07-11-2009, 11:06 AM
4th Gear

Ashkooly-

I have an ipod video. I'd like to be able to play music, and watch ipod movies from the nav screen. I'd like not to lose the controls on the wheel, but it also wouldn't be the worst thing.

Would I also need a seperate dvd changer if I wanted to play dvd movies or would Dom's unit make it possible to play dvds using the factory six disc changer?

Thanks so much for your help.

Trending Topics

Old 07-11-2009, 11:20 AM
Advanced

there is no way (at least i haven't seen a way) to control your ipod from factory controls when playing video. when i switch to dom's box on the screen, it remains black until i start the video on the ipod. i used elegant's setup as inspiration. here's the link:

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...ghlight=iphone

if i were you, i would use the blitzsafe or equivalent aux input adapter, dom's box or equivalent, and some kind of dash mount because you're going to have control via the ipod.

as for the dvd player, you're going to have to add that. dom's box has a second video input and i don't think there is a way to use the factory dvd changer to play video, it's only for audio. if you're planning on adding the dvd player, i would upgrade your aux input adapter to something like what elegant has and make sure it has at least two audio inputs.
Old 07-11-2009, 11:23 AM
Advanced

also, instead of using the apple composite video cable that raj used, i would opt for the peripheral is76 because you can hard wire it and it should charge any ipod you hook up to it, including the 2nd gen ipod touch and newer ipod video (forgot exactly which gen) that i used.
Old 07-21-2009, 09:49 PM
05 TL, AT, Blk/Blk

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ashkooly
yeah, you're going to need something to display the video (like Dom's box, Navtool, etc) and something else to relay the audio (like the blitzsafe, dice unit, isimple, etc). you don't necessarily need something as expensive as the isimple if you're just using your ipod for the video.

let me know exactly what you're hoping to accomplish and i can help you find what you need. like for me, i wanted to hook up both my ipod touch and ipod video. the ipod video is connected with the isimple and is controlled by the factory controls. i also used a combination of dom's box, the peripheral is76, and a proclip mount to connect my ipod touch. the video goes to dom's box and the audio is connected to the aux input of the isimple.
So, you have two ipod dock connections right? One for the composite wire to get your video out, the other that comes with the peripheral unit for just audio so you can have steering wheel controls.

Looks like that the setup I'm going to go with. The question I have been trying to answer is if you can combine the two ipod dock connectors into one for an iPhone. I asked this question a while back and someone sent me a link to a site that sells those type of harnesses. I lost the link. Anyone know the website and/or if someone has actually done this and it works?

Black 04 TL Auto
Old 07-21-2009, 10:23 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by TN TL
So, you have two ipod dock connections right? One for the composite wire to get your video out, the other that comes with the peripheral unit for just audio so you can have steering wheel controls.

Looks like that the setup I'm going to go with. The question I have been trying to answer is if you can combine the two ipod dock connectors into one for an iPhone. I asked this question a while back and someone sent me a link to a site that sells those type of harnesses. I lost the link. Anyone know the website and/or if someone has actually done this and it works?

Black 04 TL Auto
Well I have my ipod video hidden away in my center console and my ipod touch displayed next to the dash with the proclip mount. they are pretty much two independent setups. i don't know of a very efficient way to combine both setups other than maybe that autotoys setup that people are talking about. it seems to be the best possibility for combining full factory control of the ipod (at least i think it does) along with video output from the ipod.