Need help with sub amplifier choices

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2014, 01:31 PM
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Need help with sub amplifier choices

Hey guys I need some help picking a new amp for my system, as my old Crunch USA amp finally died after about 12-13 years. These are running in sealed boxes in my 4Runner, didn't modify the TL's system as I didn't want to drop the money for the sound processor to get it to work for the spare sub's I have laying around.

Setup:
2 Audiobahn 10" AW1000Q
- power range 50-600 watts RMS (300 watts per coil)
- peak power handling 1,200 watts
- 4 ohm DVC

I am looking to run this @ 1ohm for 1200w RMS on a monoblock D class amp. My coworker was pointing me towards Soundstream RUB1.1600D which I saw they have a 1000w amp or the 1600w amp, but I'd rather go a bit higher in power and just tune the amp down.

I seem to be having a hard time finding info on decent brands for amps. Can someone recommend any good brands that I can find some true 1200-1600w RMS amps that are for a decent price ($150-250)?
Old 03-26-2014, 01:57 PM
Codename Duchess

Received 80 Likes on 57 Posts
Originally Posted by chayos00
Hey guys I need some help picking a new amp for my system, as my old Crunch USA amp finally died after about 12-13 years. These are running in sealed boxes in my 4Runner, didn't modify the TL's system as I didn't want to drop the money for the sound processor to get it to work for the spare sub's I have laying around.

Setup:
2 Audiobahn 10" AW1000Q
- 4 ohm DVC

I am looking to run this @ 1ohm for 1200w RMS on a monoblock D class amp. My coworker was pointing me towards Soundstream RUB1.1600D which I saw they have a 1000w amp or the 1600w amp, but I'd rather go a bit higher in power and just tune the amp down.

I seem to be having a hard time finding info on decent brands for amps. Can someone recommend any good brands that I can find some true 1200-1600w RMS amps that are for a decent price ($150-250)?
No. You will not find an amplifier that does a legit 1000+ watts for two hundred bucks.

Also, as a general rule of thumb I avoid 1 ohm. Just too much demand on a charging system in most cases.

If it were me and needed that kind of power I'd look at something that will do the power at 4 ohm. Either a beefy 2 channel bridged, or a good mono amp would be the direction I'd go. But You're going ot have a hard time fining a reputable amp that does that kind of power in that price range unless you look used.
Old 03-26-2014, 02:47 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by DiamondJoeQuimby
No. You will not find an amplifier that does a legit 1000+ watts for two hundred bucks.

Also, as a general rule of thumb I avoid 1 ohm. Just too much demand on a charging system in most cases.

If it were me and needed that kind of power I'd look at something that will do the power at 4 ohm. Either a beefy 2 channel bridged, or a good mono amp would be the direction I'd go. But You're going ot have a hard time fining a reputable amp that does that kind of power in that price range unless you look used.
I mentioned going to 1 ohm due to more amps that can put out 1200W @ 1 ohm versus 4 ohm for less of a price. You are right though I could bridge a 2 channel amp to get the same output.

But the big question is which brand of amps should I look to versus who to stay away from.
Old 03-26-2014, 03:18 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by chayos00

Setup:
2 Audiobahn 10" AW1000Q
- 4 ohm DVC

Update (thought we used to be able to edit posts):
I listen to all sorts of music from hip-hop, country, rock/metal. Not sure if this aspect matters for the amp or not. As I already have the subs running in a sealed box, but may rebuild the box to better fit the truck.
Old 04-02-2014, 12:43 AM
Racer

Anyone else with actual suggestions for possibilities for what brands of amps are decent for the price?
Old 04-02-2014, 11:22 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
JL makes some excellent class D amps for the price. They're over your budget but you might be able to find a used HD750/1 for $300-ish. They pop up used all the time. They put out a legit 750w at any impedance and you'll probably find that it's more power than any $200 "1,000w" amp.

There are also the XD and JX lines which are class D.

You could always go with a ported enclosure so your subs would require less than half the power for the same output as you have now and go with a smaller amp. And before it's brought up, a proper ported box will sound at least as good as a sealed box.

About the TL, there's no processor required for a sub install. You just tap into the stock sub wires. Depending on the amp you use, sometimes you can run the factory sub wires straight into the amp and sometimes you need a LOC to drop the voltage down which is cheap. You still retain control of the subs with the stock headunit.
Old 04-02-2014, 05:48 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by I hate cars
JL makes some excellent class D amps for the price. They're over your budget but you might be able to find a used HD750/1 for $300-ish. They pop up used all the time. They put out a legit 750w at any impedance and you'll probably find that it's more power than any $200 "1,000w" amp.

There are also the XD and JX lines which are class D.

You could always go with a ported enclosure so your subs would require less than half the power for the same output as you have now and go with a smaller amp. And before it's brought up, a proper ported box will sound at least as good as a sealed box.

About the TL, there's no processor required for a sub install. You just tap into the stock sub wires. Depending on the amp you use, sometimes you can run the factory sub wires straight into the amp and sometimes you need a LOC to drop the voltage down which is cheap. You still retain control of the subs with the stock headunit.
IHC - Thanks for the response! I've got a pair of 8" JL 8W1v2's that used to rock, so I know JL is good, but they are also pricey on their amps. I will most likely build a new ported box for my subs, luckily the MFG of the subs gives the exact specs for a few different sized ported boxes that would give me what I need.

Trending Topics

Old 04-02-2014, 07:21 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Be careful with the manufacturer box specs, a lot of times they're chosen to save space or for lots of output, not for sound quality. I'll model those subs when I get home to give more box size and tuning options. What are you looking for, sound quality, output, a compromise of both?
Old 04-03-2014, 07:48 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by I hate cars
Be careful with the manufacturer box specs, a lot of times they're chosen to save space or for lots of output, not for sound quality. I'll model those subs when I get home to give more box size and tuning options. What are you looking for, sound quality, output, a compromise of both?
Here is the link to the odd with the specs for the 10" audiobahns that I have. I tend to listen to mostly hip hop/rap and country music, but I would say mostly hip hop/rap. So I would probably imagine a compromise of both would be needed for it to sound good with both types of music that I listen to. For the box of the MFG I was thinking to make either the "everyday bass performer" or the ultimate SPL" box, just depends on the size and how I can maximize the use of space in my 4Runner, as I was thinking of having it go the height of the back seat and width then to just figure out how deep it needs to go so that way I still have some space for fitting stuff from the store like groceries and what not.

Hope this info helps! Let me know if you need more. I'll try to grab my tape measure before so head off to work and get some dimensions.
Old 04-03-2014, 12:50 PM
Racer

IHC - I checked the dimensions of the back of my 4Runner. Here are the max dimensions I could go.

Width: 40"
Height: 20"

Depth - I have an angled back seat where the depth of the angle is 8" over the height of 20" (top of the seat). So I could probably go about 8" of depth at the top with 16" of depth at the bottom, or deeper if need be. Which based on 3/4" MDF that gives it close to 2sq ft of space roughly.
Old 04-11-2014, 08:56 AM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Well the hifonics brutus amps are CEA complient. I have a 2100 watt brutus and i have no doubt that it is putting out its rated power. Gain is only maybe halfway up with no bass boost and it will make my 2 12 inch kicker cvx's stink and they handle 1500 watts combined. I have them wired down to 1 ohm and i blast them full volume everyday and its going strong for a year now. amp barely heats up. i say give the brutus a try. cant go wrong with it
Old 04-22-2014, 11:13 PM
Racer

I ended up just ordering the Sundown Audio SAZ-1200D amplifier, I'm going to run it @ 1 ohm for 1200W to the pair of sub's I currently have (rated @ 600w RMS). I also ordered myself a KnuKonceptz Kolossus Fleks 0 Gauge (OFC) amp kit as well as enough wire to do my "Big 3" upgrade (factory battery ground looks like a 6AWG wire, granted it's like 4 inches long, but still).

I now just need to figure out how the heck to build a proper box ported for these subs I have!
Old 04-23-2014, 12:37 PM
Registered Bike Offender

Received 843 Likes on 625 Posts
That KnuKonceptz stuff kicks serious ass.
Old 04-23-2014, 02:21 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Vlad_Type_S
That KnuKonceptz stuff kicks serious ass.
That is good to hear! I tried to do lots of looking and it seemed to be a good choice from what I was seeing.

It's always fun seeing all the shipping confirmations coming through from all the vendors that you bought some stuff through!
Old 04-23-2014, 04:12 PM
Registered Bike Offender

Received 843 Likes on 625 Posts
Yeah I've used one of their kits before and ordered 30ft of a couple of their speaker wires, can't remember the gauge, but the wire is absolutely awesome. Thick and flexible. You won't be disappointed.

Oh yeah, getting the shipping confirmations is awesome. Even better when the box is at your house.
Old 04-24-2014, 03:23 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Vlad_Type_S
Yeah I've used one of their kits before and ordered 30ft of a couple of their speaker wires, can't remember the gauge, but the wire is absolutely awesome. Thick and flexible. You won't be disappointed.

Oh yeah, getting the shipping confirmations is awesome. Even better when the box is at your house.
Love that little kid meme! I was supposed to get a delivery today (amp), however my brother-in-law was "occupied" at the time and didn't answer the door.

This was my response to seeing the FedEx delivery exception email and then texting him asking him if he heard anyone answering the door and he said yes....