Need audio help please!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2009, 05:50 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need audio help please!!!

Hi, I'm new to the auto audio and I need some help.

My equipment:
kicker zx750.1 (supposed to be 750rms at 2 ohms.)
kicker 12" solobaric l7 dual coil at 4 ohms (wired paralled for 2 ohm draw)
4 gauge ground, 4 gauge power wire

The input to amp is tapped from the stock subwoofer. The ground is used as the same as the one in this thread by deathtotoasters

https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-audio-bluetooth-electronics-navigation-94/diy-aftermarket-amp-install-speaker-install-audiocontrol-matrix-install-w-pics-580314/

There is no remote wire because the amp turns on from audio.

The problem is when I would turn up the gain it would shut off and then turn back on. This also happens when I turn up the bass boost.

Someone please chime in.

Would a dying battery cause this? or Maybe an insufficient ground? Too long of a ground?

I'd appreciate any input for a newbie!

Last edited by whorufool; 05-22-2009 at 05:54 PM.
Old 05-22-2009, 06:13 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by whorufool
The input to amp is tapped from the stock subwoofer.

The problem is when I would turn up the gain it would shut off and then turn back on. This also happens when I turn up the bass boost.

Someone please chime in.

Would a dying battery cause this? or Maybe an insufficient ground? Too long of a ground?

I'd appreciate any input for a newbie!
how exactly is it connected to the stock sub? be more specific...

the battery will have that effect but not really when the car is running.
Old 05-22-2009, 08:47 PM
Intermediate

I think its just tapped into the wiring of the stock amp to sub. Maybe even an LOC?

I"m not too sure, I didnt install that part. All I did was run the power, and ground. The ground is 3 feet. Does that matter?

Where's all the electronic gurus? Please help, newb needs help!!

thanks btw to fade2blk
Old 05-22-2009, 09:24 PM
Instructor

I think its just tapped into the wiring of the stock amp to sub. Maybe even an LOC?

I"m not too sure, I didnt install that part. All I did was run the power, and ground. The ground is 3 feet. Does that matter?

Where's all the electronic gurus? Please help, newb needs help!!

thanks btw to fade2blk
hmm not sure where they are. while waiting on them. if I were you I would check that loc.....
Old 05-23-2009, 01:00 AM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i would suggest u take a look at the amp while the issue happens. does the amp actually turn off? or does the sound go away(amp still on)

if the amp is turning off then it could be ur remote on. and if the sound is going awway then its ur LOC
Old 05-23-2009, 01:32 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by dred87
i would suggest u take a look at the amp while the issue happens. does the amp actually turn off? or does the sound go away(amp still on)

if the amp is turning off then it could be ur remote on. and if the sound is going awway then its ur LOC
dred, more then likely it is a combination of the remote and the use of LOC per manual

The ZX amplifier has dual input sensitivity differential RCA inputs which will receive either high or low level signals from your car stereo’s source unit. Ideally, when connecting the source unit to the amplifier, the ZX amplifi er’s input level switch should be set to “LO” and a low-level signal should run from the source unit’s stereo RCA output to the stereo RCA input on the end panel of the amplifi er using RCA interconnect cable.

Remote options:
1. Automatic Turn-On Selection The ZX series offers three different automatic turn-on modes that can
be selected on the end panel; +12V, DC Offset, and Audio. Using either the DC Offset or Audio mode causes the REM terminal to have +12V out for turning on additional amplifi ers.

��Remote Turn-On Set the switch to +12V to use the remote turn-on lead from your source unit. Run 18 Ga wire from the Remote Turn-On Lead on your source unit to the terminal labeled REM between the amplifi er’s positive and negative power terminals. This is the preferred automatic turn-on method.

��DC Offset Turn-On If Remote Turn-On is not an option, the next best setting is DC Offset. The DC Offset mode detects a 6 volt surge from the HI Level speaker outputs when the source unit has been turned on.

whorufool,

If I were you, I would remove the LOC and run a dedicated remote turn on wire.
Old 05-23-2009, 10:00 AM
Intermediate

hey fade2blk I tried what you said and change the remote turn on to a dedicated wire. Same thing happens.

I'm really starting to think its the alternator? well because even on low gain the and low bass boost the light seems to dim when the sub hits. I think there isnt enough power running to the amp. Just my suspicion though. I think I'm going to go to autozone have my alternator checked as well as the voltage in wiring to the amp.

Let me know if you think of anything else fade2blk or anyone else. Appreciate the input!
Old 05-23-2009, 10:34 AM
Intermediate

to remove the light form dimming get rid of the bass boast also add a ground wire to your battery to the car this will help alot...
you might want to add apower cap? but in my wifes car 99 golf 90amp alt I had a jl 500/1 and 300/4 in it with zero problem or dimming by doing this
good luck
Old 05-23-2009, 10:38 AM
Instructor

hey fade2blk I tried what you said and change the remote turn on to a dedicated wire. Same thing happens.

I'm really starting to think its the alternator? well because even on low gain the and low bass boost the light seems to dim when the sub hits. I think there isnt enough power running to the amp. Just my suspicion though. I think I'm going to go to autozone have my alternator checked as well as the voltage in wiring to the amp.

Let me know if you think of anything else fade2blk or anyone else. Appreciate the input!
I seriously doubt it is the alternator. how big are your power wires?
Old 05-23-2009, 10:41 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by kg1961
to remove the light form dimming get rid of the bass boast also add a ground wire to your battery to the car this will help alot...
you might want to add apower cap? but in my wifes car 99 golf 90amp alt I had a jl 500/1 and 300/4 in it with zero problem or dimming by doing this
good luck
welcome aboard.

adding a secondary ground wires is always a good idea. this usually called part of "big 3"
Old 05-23-2009, 08:22 PM
Intermediate

Hey guys, figured out what was wrong. Thanks for all the help, especially to fade2blk.

See you guys around!
Old 05-23-2009, 10:35 PM
Instructor

Hey guys, figured out what was wrong. Thanks for all the help, especially to fade2blk.

See you guys around!
Glad to hear that.

Please post what fixed this. this will be very helpful for others with similar issues.
Old 05-27-2009, 12:04 AM
Drifting

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts
you shouldn't be jacking up the gain..it's NOT a volume knob
Old 05-27-2009, 07:31 AM
2010TL, 07 600RR, 06 1KRR

I tapped into both rear speakers to get two signals for my Mono amp to push the L7. Now the thing really gets the signal it needs. When I tapped only into the sub, It was 1/2 par.