Navigation/Voice/Radio controls are gone- Replace which part?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2016, 04:31 PM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Navigation/Voice/Radio controls are gone- Replace which part?

Looking for guidance on which part of the navigation system has failed
I have a 2006 Acura TL w/ Navi. The Navi is original, never been modified by code or physically altered.

A week ago, I started noticing the Acura Home screen appearing for 10 - 15 seconds while driving. I saw no prompt or error messages. Just the Home screen, and then the warning screen w/ OK button.

The past day after startup, I had no Acura home screen, only what best could be described as a snowy black and white TV screen, whose horizontal hold was out. Basically it was white, with black speckles, and black vertical bars flashing. (Will send a photo if helpful)

The voice command switches on the steering wheel are now dead. No beep when pressed.
Bluetooth still is working.

The radio controls on both the steering wheel and dash work. However, the radio one line display next to the clock no longer appears.

So far I've pulled the DVD, it is in great shape. No scratches, or marks. Like new.
I pulled the radio fuse for about 30 seconds and replaced.
I disconnected the battery for about 1 to 2 minutes. Not sure if that was long enough because when I reconnected, the radio still worked, stations still in memory, but clock was reset.

My question to the forum is what part do you think I need to replace? Reading posts it seems that the Alpine DVD drive is always the culprit.
But since my display isn't black or frozen, I'm leaning toward it being the screen unit and not the DVD drive.

Planning on replacing it myself. There is a wealth of videos and posts on how to replace both the DVD and screen, know it won't be an issue.
Just don't want to purchase one and it turns out to be the other.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.