Navigation, Clock, Voice Command problems!! HELP!! 2006 TL With Navi

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2010, 11:01 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Navigation, Clock, Voice Command problems!! HELP!! 2006 TL With Navi

We just bought a 2006 TL with Navigation and there are a few things that don't seem to be adding up.

The Nav disc in the trunk is Version 3.30 from 2003. When looking in the menu on the Nav screen it says "updated 20030902" Does this mean we have the September 2003 Maps?

Also, there are hardly any roads that have been here for at least 3 years that are on the map. No POI are accurate, or that seem to be.

When I select a destination to navigate to it calculates the route, then whenever it cuts out the front speakers to tell me to turn, for instance "turn right in 500 yards, etc etc" it is just quiet. I never hear a voice. The voice is set to maximum in the settings. I've tried male and female voices.

Also, whenever using the voice command to say change the temperature or CD whenever it doesn't recognize the command it pauses again and I don't hear anything.

One final thing I have no clue how to fix is the clock on the upper display will say for example 3:00 PM when it's only 12:00 PM. The clock in the navigation unit says the correct time and when I change it just to see if the upper display clock will change, it does nothing.

I've seen someone somewhere say they had the same problem I hope someone can help.

The closest Acura dealership is 2 hours away.

HELP!!!
Old 01-23-2010, 01:02 AM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,149 Likes on 775 Posts
Originally Posted by dkmcclelland
We just bought a 2006 TL with Navigation and there are a few things that don't seem to be adding up.

The Nav disc in the trunk is Version 3.30 from 2003. When looking in the menu on the Nav screen it says "updated 20030902" Does this mean we have the September 2003 Maps?
Yes, you're stuck with maps from 2003.
Either someone dropped an old disc into your Navi, or they swapped out the Navi drive in the trunk with one from a 2004 TL.

You should have version 3.50 DVD at least-- check the Black Market section here to buy a 3.50+ white Navi disc (current version is 3.90, $185 + SH from Acura/Navteq), then load it into your Navi drive. Hopefully, the software updates on the Navi DVD will correct your problems.

if not, there are a couple of other threads here about the silent Navi and incorrect time display issue.
Old 01-23-2010, 07:09 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Will Y.
Yes, you're stuck with maps from 2003.
Either someone dropped an old disc into your Navi, or they swapped out the Navi drive in the trunk with one from a 2004 TL.

You should have version 3.50 DVD at least-- check the Black Market section here to buy a 3.50+ white Navi disc (current version is 3.90, $185 + SH from Acura/Navteq), then load it into your Navi drive. Hopefully, the software updates on the Navi DVD will correct your problems.

if not, there are a couple of other threads here about the silent Navi and incorrect time display issue.
Does it help at all that when I crank up the car it has the "Honda" emblem on the navigation not the "Acura" A?
Old 01-23-2010, 08:33 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 96 Likes on 75 Posts
Does it help at all that when I crank up the car it has the "Honda" emblem on the navigation not the "Acura" A?
If the nav boots up with the Honda emblem it means someone put a Honda disk in the drive. I would spring for the latest version Acura disk your unit will take and see if that fixes your problems.
Old 01-23-2010, 12:29 PM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Received 561 Likes on 393 Posts
I once upon a time accidentally once got the H symbol with the Honda system instead of the Acura when the system mysteriously reset itself. Don't know how it happened, but I got the on-screen Trip Computer and instantaneous MPG guage that came with the Accord. Seems both systems are on the same disk.

Someone definitely did a swap job on your DVD. If you bought the TL from a dealer, I'd go back there and let them know, BIG TIME. Otherwise, I would spend the $185 and get the latest DVD. It fixed most of my Navigation problems that plagued me from the original 3.30F disk. They're giving free shipping until Jan 31st.

Last edited by DMZ; 01-23-2010 at 12:31 PM.
Old 01-23-2010, 01:21 PM
Registered but harmless

Ah ha!
It sounds like your Navi was a "hacked Navi" before-- customized to avoid the initial warning or "nag screen" upon start-up, or to display instant MPG, etc.
Do a search for the hacked Navi threads (there are lots) and clock display in this Audio sub-forum.
Also, the 3G Garage linked in the main AZ page may have info on the customized Navi software.

IDK if a new(er) disc's software will correct the issues, but it's worth a try if you don't find the specific answer in one of those threads.
Old 01-23-2010, 03:49 PM
Cruisin'

Ah ha!
It sounds like your Navi was a "hacked Navi" before-- customized to avoid the initial warning or "nag screen" upon start-up, or to display instant MPG, etc.
Do a search for the hacked Navi threads (there are lots) and clock display in this Audio sub-forum.
Also, the 3G Garage linked in the main AZ page may have info on the customized Navi software.

IDK if a new(er) disc's software will correct the issues, but it's worth a try if you don't find the specific answer in one of those threads.

So the Trip Computer in the info settings on the NAV screen where it shows instant MPG's is a hack? It didn't come with that? UGH... I don't know how to un-hack anything or hack anything...I don't want to mess it up... I just want it to work like it's supposed to. Any idea where to figure out if it's been hacked guys??
Old 01-23-2010, 06:11 PM
Registered but harmless

You should have version 3.50 DVD at least-- check the Black Market section here to buy a 3.50+ white Navi disc (current version is 3.90, $185 + SH from Acura/Navteq)...
I meant "ORANGE," not "white"- 3.50 or higher ORANGE disc.

...it has the "Honda" emblem on the navigation...
So the Trip Computer in the info settings on the NAV screen where it shows instant MPG's is a hack?
...Any idea where to figure out if it's been hacked guys??
Yep, you have the symptoms of a hacked Navi.
The standard MPG display is in the MID and is not instantaneous, but shows the cumulative MPG since the most recent reset.

Get a newer orange 3.50 or higher disc-- when inserted, the software on the disc should update your system back to stock and override the hacks, IIRC.

Otherwise, to maintain the hacks, check out the stickied thread here: https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-audio-bluetooth-electronics-navigation-94/navigation-hack-guide-welcome-screen-mod-trip-computer-ok-button-nag-removal-604912/.

G/L.
Old 01-23-2010, 06:23 PM
2011 ZCP E92 M3!!

Originally Posted by DMZ
I once upon a time accidentally once got the H symbol with the Honda system instead of the Acura when the system mysteriously reset itself. Don't know how it happened, but I got the on-screen Trip Computer and instantaneous MPG guage that came with the Accord. Seems both systems are on the same disk.

Someone definitely did a swap job on your DVD. If you bought the TL from a dealer, I'd go back there and let them know, BIG TIME. Otherwise, I would spend the $185 and get the latest DVD. It fixed most of my Navigation problems that plagued me from the original 3.30F disk. They're giving free shipping until Jan 31st.

i get the honda sign all the time now on my navi and it dosnt work now, it says cant aquire signal or something like that, and i cant change my clock either ,i went to the dealership and they said they cant do nothing cuz i have a honda navigation system in my car and that i have to call acura customor service, this was like 6 months ago and now im just too lazy to fix it i just use the navi on my iphone
Old 01-24-2010, 12:22 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by dave_ramkumar
i get the honda sign all the time now on my navi and it dosnt work now, it says cant aquire signal or something like that, and i cant change my clock either ,i went to the dealership and they said they cant do nothing cuz i have a honda navigation system in my car and that i have to call acura customor service, this was like 6 months ago and now im just too lazy to fix it i just use the navi on my iphone
That doesn't solve my problem. I hate AT&T and the iPhone. Thanks anyways though.
Old 01-24-2010, 12:27 AM
Cruisin'

Angry

Yep, you have the symptoms of a hacked Navi.
The standard MPG display is in the MID and is not instantaneous, but shows the cumulative MPG since the most recent reset.

Get a newer orange 3.50 or higher disc-- when inserted, the software on the disc should update your system back to stock and override the hacks, IIRC...
Our friend has a 2006 TL with the 3.50 in it and we stuck it in there and nothing...

The version I have is called 3.30F what is that?
Old 01-24-2010, 12:45 AM
Registered but harmless

Our friend has a 2006 TL with the 3.50 in it and we stuck it in there and nothing...

The version I have is called 3.30F what is that?
The 3.30F is from '04-- my guess is that the owner who performed the Navi hack did it before the hack files could be updated for the '06, so he/she used the the '04 disc and corresponding hack files.

The alpha at the end indicates that the disc has some software updates, e.g. 3.30F had additional updates which 3.30E did not have.

Maybe you can borrow a 3.70+ disc and try loading that instead of the 3.50 to see if that helps. IDK if there is any thread on reversing the Navi hack, though.
Old 01-24-2010, 12:48 AM
Cruisin'

Maybe you can borrow a 3.70+ disc and try loading that instead of the 3.50 to see if that helps. IDK if there is any thread on reversing the Navi hack, though.
I just read that if you put the original (i.e. a 3.50 disc) in the drive, and pull the battery cables off for 30 seconds, then put them back on the original system files will boot on the Navi, anything about that you know?

I'm trying to find a cheap 3.50 or 3.70 disc on the black market, but no luck thus far.
Old 01-24-2010, 08:28 AM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Originally Posted by dave_ramkumar
The dealership you went to are morons. When the H symbol happened to me, Acura of Manhattan simply reset the entire system.

Who did you buy this car from? I'd let them know what's going on and scream at them if you have to. You were scammed! If you bought it privately or from some used car lot, I'd make the seller pay the $185 for the new disc and/or whatever repairs may be necessary to make the Nav system work properly again. Since you have an older DVD in there than the car was originally supplied with from the factory, you can take the seller to small claims court, and you'll likely win.

Your only hope is to try the the 3.9 DVD like I did. Inserting it will load the software and reset the system.
Old 01-24-2010, 11:37 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by DMZ
Your only hope is to try the the 3.9 DVD like I did. Inserting it will load the software and reset the system.

So you had the same problem with the "H" and the voice feedback not working?

How did the Acura place "reset the entire system?"
Old 01-24-2010, 05:39 PM
DMZ
Head a da Family

So you had the same problem with the "H" and the voice feedback not working?

How did the Acura place "reset the entire system?"
I don't remember whether the voice worked under those circumstances, and I have no idea what they did to 'reset' the system. That's what they said they had to do.
Old 01-24-2010, 06:29 PM
Mistuh DRiiVA

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
go to the diagnostics screen and there should be a reset for the nav system there. if not, disconnect the battery, leave it for a while then plug it back and it should reset and reload from the disc. i would defintly look at somehow getting the 3.9 disc though, either make the place you bought the car buy the disc like DMZ said or take them to court because thats some really BS that you have an older disc than the car came with.
Old 01-24-2010, 11:35 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by maddsiick
go to the diagnostics screen and there should be a reset for the nav system there. if not, disconnect the battery, leave it for a while then plug it back and it should reset and reload from the disc. i would defintly look at somehow getting the 3.9 disc though, either make the place you bought the car buy the disc like DMZ said or take them to court because thats some really BS that you have an older disc than the car came with.

Tried both of those today and it still has the Honda emblem and no voice feedback. I'm going to try resetting from a 3.50 disc this week, if that doesn't work I'm out of ideas... the Acura place had no clue..
Old 01-25-2010, 03:36 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by maddsiick
Loaded a 3.50 disc today and now the navigation has voice feedback, but the clock and the "H" symbol, and the trip computer are still there. Anybody know how to Un-Hack a Navi?
Old 01-27-2010, 11:57 AM
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
dkmcclelland - may i ask where you purchased your vehicle from? i just bought a 2006 TL from carmax 1/23/10 and i'm experiencing the same issues. i took the car back this morning and they are arguing that the 2003 version 3.30 disc is correct, and that it doesn't matter that the Honda symbol appears. they even suggested there might be something wrong with the car (then why is it certified?!). i think i'll call carmax corp office.
Old 02-05-2010, 08:49 AM
10th Gear

Anybody? Help, please! I'm on my 3rd trip back to Carmax. The last two discs they "ordered" to replace the 3.30 haven't worked either. They were 4.55, not sure what that even means. But they said any Acura's navigation discs should work on my TL. The 4.55 wasn't even able to load, the screen read, "disc error."

I basically need to know exactly what disc to tell them to order.
Old 02-05-2010, 09:03 AM
Registered but harmless

Originally Posted by ezkaban
Anybody? Help, please! I'm on my 3rd trip back to Carmax. The last two discs they "ordered" to replace the 3.30 haven't worked either. They were 4.55, not sure what that even means. But they said any Acura's navigation discs should work on my TL. The 4.55 wasn't even able to load, the screen read, "disc error."

The '04-'06 TL Navis use an orange 3.XXdisc-- 3.90 is the current DVD.
The '07-'08 TL Navis use a white 4.XX disc-- 4.81 is the newest DVD.

The website has a drop down menu by model and year and is located at: http://www.navigation.com/is-bin/INT...dMenuItem=Home

Last edited by Will Y.; 02-05-2010 at 09:06 AM.
Old 02-07-2010, 02:58 PM
10th Gear

Thanks for the info. The latest disc they put in was 3.50 so now the voice command works but the dashboard clock is 3 hrs 10 minutes off. And when I look up restaurants it routes me to Kentucky. I've got no beef with the South but I live in the L.A. region.

They told me I'd have to return again when their "radio" guy is in next week!? I'm going to demand they just order me the 3.90 disc from Acura's website because I'm convinced they're simply roaming their lot trying to find Acura's and swapping the discs while I wait in the office.
Old 02-07-2010, 05:46 PM
Registered but harmless

Thanks for the info. The latest disc they put in was 3.50 so now the voice command works but the dashboard clock is 3 hrs 10 minutes off. And when I look up restaurants it routes me to Kentucky. I've got no beef with the South but I live in the L.A. region.

Since you've got that 3.50 for now (probably the disc version your car originally had), go set your location in the Navi to "CA" per the Navi manual-- that may get your locations and time back on track.
Check the "settings" pages on the clock adjustment, too.
Old 02-09-2010, 07:31 PM
Cruisin'

go set your location in the Navi to "CA" per the Navi manual--
I don't see where you do that
Old 02-09-2010, 07:33 PM
Cruisin'

We bought it from a dealership in Atlanta, Ga. They say they won't replace the disc. Not sure what to do from here.
Old 02-10-2010, 07:08 AM
DMZ
Head a da Family

We bought it from a dealership in Atlanta, Ga. They say they won't replace the disc. Not sure what to do from here.
An Acura dealership?

If you want to let them get away with this bullshit, that's your choice. I SURE AS HELL WOULDN'T!
By the time I was done with them, they'd be begging me to let them buy me the disc.

Last edited by DMZ; 02-10-2010 at 07:11 AM.
Old 02-10-2010, 09:00 AM
Chapter Leader
(Northeast Florida)

Received 1,652 Likes on 1,117 Posts
The navigation voice should be coming out of the center channel, not the front driver's side speaker. It sounds like your center speaker is disconnected somewhere. Pull off the center speaker cover gently and check the connections. Do you hear sound coming out of it when you play a DVD-Audio disc?
Old 02-10-2010, 03:40 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by gatrhumpy
The navigation voice should be coming out of the center channel, not the front driver's side speaker. It sounds like your center speaker is disconnected somewhere. Pull off the center speaker cover gently and check the connections. Do you hear sound coming out of it when you play a DVD-Audio disc?
I borrowed someone's 3.50 disc and I downloaded the software from that. It's all working except it has the instant MPG's and it still says Honda.
Old 02-12-2010, 01:08 AM
10th Gear

Just got the 3.90 disc uploaded and it automatically set to CA, where I live. The menu, when uploading, still says "H" (my friend's '09 TSX says Acura) and the dashboard clock is still hours off (the navigation clock has always been correct) but at this point I'm just glad to have directions to the real thing rather than a big blank field when driving to Best Buy.
Old 02-12-2010, 10:16 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by DMZ
An Acura dealership?

If you want to let them get away with this bullshit, that's your choice. I SURE AS HELL WOULDN'T!
By the time I was done with them, they'd be begging me to let them buy me the disc.
No not an Acura dealership.
Old 02-13-2010, 11:08 AM
Cruisin'

Just got the 3.90 disc uploaded and it automatically set to CA, where I live. The menu, when uploading, still says "H" (my friend's '09 TSX says Acura) and the dashboard clock is still hours off (the navigation clock has always been correct) but at this point I'm just glad to have directions to the real thing rather than a big blank field when driving to Best Buy.
To fix the clock... just do what I did... wait until 1 AM and go out and disconnect the battery for about 10 seconds, then connect it back... It won't reset the navi but it will reset the clock at 1 AM... Not a perfect solution, but it works.
Old 02-25-2012, 11:41 PM
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I hate to bring this back from the dead but...I just bought a used 2006 TL with this EXACT same problem. I have disc version 3.30f in the unit, no voice commands, my clock is a few hours off, and I have the Honda symbol on the welcome screen. Also no subwoofer or center channel control. I have disconnected the battery for hours, pulled fuses to no avail. I have been researching and trying to fix this issue for two days straight. Does anybody have more suggestions? I am ready to drive it off of a bridge.
Old 02-26-2012, 12:47 AM
Registered but harmless

Originally Posted by flint
I have disc version 3.30f in the unit, no voice commands, my clock is a few hours off, and I have the Honda symbol on the welcome screen...
Does anybody have more suggestions?
Just the same one-- get an Orange disc of 3.90 or higher, install and let it update the Navi.

G/L.
Old 02-27-2012, 10:49 PM
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Took care of this problem today. Somehow I ended up with a 3.30f version orange nav disk. Somebody must have switched it out at some point. although the maps worked, voice commands were gone and the clock didn't sync. Replaced it with a 3.50 orange disk, disconnected battery and radio fuse waited an hour and put it back. Everything is perfect now. Acura welcome screen, voice commands, clock synced up. I can tell you it didn't work until I disconnected the battery. The voice commands worked again immediately but the Acura welcome screen didn't come back and the clock didn't sync until I disconnected the battery. This 100% works. I know other had this problem as well. Thanks to everyone here for leading me in the right direction. I was VERY frustrated. Now on to fixing my dead HFL...
Old 02-28-2012, 11:50 AM
TL-S

Received 413 Likes on 366 Posts
I lived with the stupid clock problem for a year before I figured it out.

Hold in your MENU/SETUP/CANCEL buttons and that will bring you to a complex menu......look around in there. Theres a functions button you press (if i remember its the 3rd or 4th one down from on the right or something) and somewhere it should say clock...and theres a button to send the time to the display.

I can't remember exactly where the option is but there is one to let you override the stubborn car and put the clock where it needs to be...i was so mad that i lived with a wrong clock for over a year and it took all of 10 seconds to fix.
Old 10-15-2012, 12:42 PM
6th Gear

"Hold in your MENU/SETUP/CANCEL buttons and that will bring you to a complex menu"
This does nothing to me. I have used 2005 Acura TL. Can you explain more on how to bring the diag screen?
Old 10-15-2012, 12:44 PM
6th Gear

Found another post at different thread:
"hold MAP/GUIDE, MENU and CANCEL for 5 secs

anytime after you hit the OK button"

I will try this soon...
Old 10-15-2012, 01:03 PM
6th Gear

I see the diag screen now, but there's no button to send the time to the display. There's GPS Offset button but that does nothing either."