NAVI system shows McDonalds at 2300 miles away!

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2007, 03:32 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It kinda reminds me of Paris Hilton: overpriced, sexy to look at, but in the end pretty worthless and a waste of time.
Old 06-14-2007, 08:25 PM
2004 SSM/EB/5AT/Navi/RSB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by weedeater
It kinda reminds me of Paris Hilton: overpriced, sexy to look at, but in the end pretty worthless and a waste of time.
And you don't have it?
Old 06-15-2007, 03:02 AM
Safety Car

Received 39 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by shamen74
I've had my TL Type-S for 3 months. Never had navigation for myself before, and today is the first time I am reading all the hate posts about navi here, so I'm surprised.

Its not the most intuitive, but I have found a few work arounds. The way I see it is, it is some GUI issues... not intuitive to look up Walmart, Costco, etc if looking by "NAME". However I think the biggest issue is the database... I've delt with consumer and business databases for years in the Marketing aspect of my job, and this is very common. You have hundreds of people entering yellow page listings and categorizing as they see fit. The best way to fix this is to have a single person own it and that's just not possible. Data cleanup is another option, but the minute you clean it up, new entries are not going to conform. The example in the thread of "the home depot" versus "home depot" is a great one....

By "Name" is pretty useless, BUT by "Place name by Keyword" is the FIX in my opinion. I don't look for costco, I look for Category, Shopping, All shopping (because sub categories are ridiculous and will lead you astray), Sort by distance to travel, "Place name by Keyword". Here "Home Depot" "Home Depot, The" "The Home Depot" will all come up if you input "Home Depot" AND it will show you the closest one it knows.

SO again, very surprised about all the unhapiness, this works really well for us. Granted it doesnt compare to handheld GPS software, but think about it, those company's concentrate on GPS. Acura Navi is one department of many and I would bet smaller than all of Garmin combined.

Also loving the "find place along route" option. Starting with a "name" search... uhh just give it up.
Right on my brother! I agree with you in every aspect. You, bluenoise and I are on the same page.

I've sat in a Benz C-class and BMW M3 and even my girlfriend points out that my navigation is way better.
Old 06-15-2007, 12:04 PM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,149 Likes on 775 Posts
Originally Posted by bluenoise
I agree. As has been said before, it'd be nice to be able to do fuzzy searches by name, but the keyword search is the key to getting the right results. I've mentioned this happening with Starbucks, so keyword searching for "starbuck" gets me the correct results every time.

My in-laws got a brand new Mercedes GL450 with navi. That POS system doesn't list any stores, only shopping centers. If the store you're seeking is in a shopping center, you need to know the name of that center. If it's not in a center, it's not in the system. No touchscreen. Adding the ability to call from it costs another bunch of $$$$ for the option of handsfree, too. They wanted the navi option after seeing the Acura one in my car. They certainly are disappointed that it's all but useless to them now.

One friend is disappointed in her new MB E-Class navi too, since she has been in a couple of TLs w/navis. The MB E-Class navi also lacks precise address locations- it only calculates to within a 2-block radius of the given address.
Old 06-16-2007, 06:20 PM
Air Vice Marshal

Received 300 Likes on 155 Posts
Originally Posted by shamen74
I've had my TL Type-S for 3 months. Never had navigation for myself before, and today is the first time I am reading all the hate posts about navi here, so I'm surprised.

<big snip>

By "Name" is pretty useless, BUT by "Place name by Keyword" is the FIX in my opinion. I don't look for costco, I look for Category, Shopping, All shopping (because sub categories are ridiculous and will lead you astray), Sort by distance to travel, "Place name by Keyword". Here "Home Depot" "Home Depot, The" "The Home Depot" will all come up if you input "Home Depot" AND it will show you the closest one it knows.

SO again, very surprised about all the unhapiness, this works really well for us. Granted it doesnt compare to handheld GPS software, but think about it, those company's concentrate on GPS. Acura Navi is one department of many and I would bet smaller than all of Garmin combined.

Also loving the "find place along route" option. Starting with a "name" search... uhh just give it up.
The crappy search capabilities aside, you have hit the problem with your comment. It will indeed eventually offer up ones it knows about, if you ignore the methods suggested for searching and use alternatives as you suggest. As I have said many times, the database is a major problem. It just plain doesn't know about many, many places. So many that, in my opinion, it's totally useless for name searches. It's nice you can get it to find a Home Depot, but when the ones closest to my home don't exist in the database, what good is it?

Last night I ran over to the local Best Buy to buy a DVD set. They were sold out of the one I wanted, so I punched up Best Buy in the nav. I got a ton of categories, none of which had a local one. Next I tried your method. Better. This time it came up with more stores. Too bad the closest ones were in another state.
Just for the hell of it, I just asked for the closest shopping of any kind. No Best Buy, even though I'm in the parking lot. OK, I know where there's a Circuit City, so I'll just go there. Good thing they had it, because this crappy navi couldn't come up with any Circuit City stores within reasonable range using either search method. When I got home I pulled out my Quest, entered Best Buy and it came up with a bunch fairly close, including the one I had gone to first and another that was closer than the Circuit City I drove to. You can apologize for it, and praise it all you want. It still sucks.

As for Acura's poor, tiny, navi department; you need to buy a clue. They don't make the Navi. It's made by Alpine, a major electronics company and OEM supplier to several car manufacturers. There's no excuse for them, they are in the business of making navi systems for others. It is supposed to be one of their areas of expertise. They offer after-market consumer systems as well as portable systems, so they certainly compete with Garmin. They just suck at what they try to do.
Old 06-16-2007, 06:49 PM
Pro

I wonder how long is the exclusive contract between Honda/Acura and Alpine. It seems to make a lot of sense to drop Alpine when the contract expires, and go with Garmin instead.

Does Alpine make the hardware and software for our navi? The hardware seems decent, but the software/database, like many said, is a POS, particulary when try to do a search. Why can't these software companies design their search engine like Google or Yahoo???
Old 06-17-2007, 04:41 AM
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by kenny5
I wonder how long is the exclusive contract between Honda/Acura and Alpine. It seems to make a lot of sense to drop Alpine when the contract expires, and go with Garmin instead.

Does Alpine make the hardware and software for our navi? The hardware seems decent, but the software/database, like many said, is a POS, particulary when try to do a search. Why can't these software companies design their search engine like Google or Yahoo???
I think Alpine and Honda are in bed with each other. Honda has been using Alpine for their car stereos since the 1980's.
Old 06-19-2007, 02:26 AM
1/20/2009

Originally Posted by mike03a3
The crappy search capabilities aside, you have hit the problem with your comment. It will indeed eventually offer up ones it knows about, if you ignore the methods suggested for searching and use alternatives as you suggest. As I have said many times, the database is a major problem. It just plain doesn't know about many, many places. So many that, in my opinion, it's totally useless for name searches. It's nice you can get it to find a Home Depot, but when the ones closest to my home don't exist in the database, what good is it?

Last night I ran over to the local Best Buy to buy a DVD set. They were sold out of the one I wanted, so I punched up Best Buy in the nav. I got a ton of categories, none of which had a local one. Next I tried your method. Better. This time it came up with more stores. Too bad the closest ones were in another state.
Just for the hell of it, I just asked for the closest shopping of any kind. No Best Buy, even though I'm in the parking lot. OK, I know where there's a Circuit City, so I'll just go there. Good thing they had it, because this crappy navi couldn't come up with any Circuit City stores within reasonable range using either search method. When I got home I pulled out my Quest, entered Best Buy and it came up with a bunch fairly close, including the one I had gone to first and another that was closer than the Circuit City I drove to. You can apologize for it, and praise it all you want. It still sucks.

As for Acura's poor, tiny, navi department; you need to buy a clue. They don't make the Navi. It's made by Alpine, a major electronics company and OEM supplier to several car manufacturers. There's no excuse for them, they are in the business of making navi systems for others. It is supposed to be one of their areas of expertise. They offer after-market consumer systems as well as portable systems, so they certainly compete with Garmin. They just suck at what they try to do.
Well... what can I say, aside from the personal popshot you took at me "you need to buy a clue", you're probably just a complainer that wouldnt be happy if it was absolutely perfect. I personally don't need the navi to get to best buy, home depot, or target within a 15 mile radius, I know where they all are, but maybe you don't get out much.

Rip the damn thing out and stick a garmin in there if you hate it so much. That would look much nicer I'm sure. Sheezo! LOL! You're entitled to your opinion... guess I'm just not as savy as the complainers. Punch in "Cheers", see what comes up, I'll buy you a beer!
Old 06-19-2007, 02:57 AM
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
What makes the crappy POI function of the nav so bad for me is that I live in SoCal, which is basically just a 10,000 sq mi city, and I drive all around it about 35,000 mi per year. I can't remember where all the Best Buys or Home Depots are at.
Old 06-19-2007, 12:25 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 66 Likes on 28 Posts
You kids play nice.

Personal attacks are a no-no.
Old 06-19-2007, 12:42 PM
2004 SSM/EB/5AT/Navi/RSB

Originally Posted by dcrandon
What makes the crappy POI function of the nav so bad for me is that I live in SoCal, which is basically just a 10,000 sq mi city, and I drive all around it about 35,000 mi per year. I can't remember where all the Best Buys or Home Depots are at.
Please, please, try using the 'name by keyword' search to see if it works for you. It has never failed me. It seems to have failed mike03a3, though, so I'm really curious if it solves your issues.
Old 06-20-2007, 12:47 AM
Air Vice Marshal

Originally Posted by bluenoise
Please, please, try using the 'name by keyword' search to see if it works for you. It has never failed me. It seems to have failed mike03a3, though, so I'm really curious if it solves your issues.
Oh, the method has not failed me - it is easily the best and most accurate way to find what's in the database. What fails is the database. It's annoying that the search methods are so poorly designed and executed, but it's unforgivable that the database is so incomplete.
Old 06-20-2007, 03:18 PM
2004 SSM/EB/5AT/Navi/RSB

Originally Posted by mike03a3
Oh, the method has not failed me - it is easily the best and most accurate way to find what's in the database. What fails is the database. It's annoying that the search methods are so poorly designed and executed, but it's unforgivable that the database is so incomplete.
Ah...I misunderstood what you were saying. Now that I reread your earlier post, I see what you're saying. I'd be frustrated, too, if my database lacked my local stuff as yours seems to do. I'm lucky that my area is pretty well covered by the database such that I still have the original disc from late 2003 and I've only encountered a few errors, mainly due to changes in the way they reworked some ramps and overpasses.

Database issues are certainly worth reporting as that is something that does get updated. It's too bad, though, they charge so much for the new discs.
Old 07-12-2007, 09:59 PM
5th Gear

Bump
Old 01-04-2009, 09:37 PM
9th Gear

This problem is driving me nuts on the '08 TL I just picked up.

I'm bumping this thread on the off chance that a solution has been found over the last year?
Old 01-04-2009, 10:11 PM
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Thanks. You forced me to read 4 pages of complaints & I can confirm the 08 hasn't changed. I may keep my Garmin in the car just for it's POI database.
Old 01-19-2009, 10:51 AM
Instructor

Possible long term fix

I have a 2008 Tl-S with navigation. This is the first time I have ever used a navigation and I am seeing the same issue. Trying to find a place by name is nearly impossible for some places (Costco, BJ's, etc) mainly because they can have different names. In reading the post I tried to look for a way to set my home state as NY so it looks only near me and not in like Ca or Wa or something. I had to break out the manual and do some reading to see if I was missing anything. I came across this http://mapreporter.navteq.com/dur-web-external/ (page 108 of the navigation manual). It allos us a way to report a missing or incorrect POI. So while this may not fix the issue right now it may provide a fix for future update DVD's if everyone eports any problem they find. Just thought I'd mention it in case no one has seen this before.
Old 01-19-2009, 02:44 PM
Air Vice Marshal

Jeez, it's deja vu all over again.

So, a year and a half later, my opinion of the Navi hasn't changed much. It's still a love-hate relationship.

When I want to find someplace by address, I love it. I can quickly and easily enter an address using only my voice and the steering wheel controls. The voice recognition is excellent and the database is pretty good. For some reason it still has areas that are behind my Garmin, which I attribute to the fact that the Alpine uses the same base maps but lacks the extra layer of urban area detail the Garmins have.

But when you want to find a location by name, it's still terrible. And, even with updates, the two main problems persist. First, the search engine logic and catagorization is just plain awful. Then there's the POI database. It is missing many, many places that are in even my old Garmin database. It doesn't know about stores that have been there for many years.
Old 01-19-2009, 04:44 PM
08 TL-S NBP

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
You guys have to search by city first, then type in the name. Once you input your city it narrows down at the search results to around your area and the closest to your navi. Try doing that, its full proof.
Old 01-19-2009, 06:32 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by msala524
You guys have to search by city first, then type in the name. Once you input your city it narrows down at the search results to around your area and the closest to your navi. Try doing that, its full proof.
Does the 08 Navi come with that feature? My 05 Navi, I don't how to narrow down by city when searching for places.

My home state is selected correctly.
Old 01-19-2009, 06:46 PM
08 TL-S NBP

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
yea it allows me to choose category, name, city, and other one which I forget...
Old 01-19-2009, 10:17 PM
Advanced

yea it allows me to choose category, name, city, and other one which I forget...
Ok, the 04-06 Navi only let you choose Name, Category and Phone Number (which is totally useless).
Old 01-20-2009, 01:19 AM
Safety Car

Received 340 Likes on 278 Posts
Originally Posted by WhiteLegend
Does the 08 Navi come with that feature? My 05 Navi, I don't how to narrow down by city when searching for places.

My home state is selected correctly.
Ok, the 04-06 Navi only let you choose Name, Category and Phone Number (which is totally useless).
No, you can choose by city also.
Select Menu>places>category>restaurant> the type of food you want (fast food,chinese,all)
then it gives you the option of,

Place name by keyword
sort by distance to travel
A city vicinity
place name

if you choose A city vicinity, it asks you to type in the city you want to search.
Old 01-20-2009, 05:44 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by A SiQ TL
No, you can choose by city also.
Select Menu>places>category>restaurant> the type of food you want (fast food,chinese,all)
then it gives you the option of,

Place name by keyword
sort by distance to travel
A city vicinity
place name

if you choose A city vicinity, it asks you to type in the city you want to search.
Yeah, I know what you're saying. I wish we didn't have to go thru the categories to get to city. The Navigation systems I've used in the past all allows city to be the first criteria. That way we avoid the issue of the same places (i.e. McDonalds) categorized differently in different cities. Which is very common with this database.
Old 01-20-2009, 09:07 PM
9th Gear

That way we avoid the issue of the same places (i.e. McDonalds) categorized differently in different cities. Which is very common with this database.
That's another gripe of mine. How hard can it possibly be for them to maintain one naming and categorization convention for national chains. A simple edit and replace in the database could change every "McDonalds" to "McDonald's" or "Wal-mart" to "WalMart." It's just sloppy to allow for so many different versions.
Old 01-22-2009, 04:23 PM
Air Vice Marshal

It's not fool proof enough to compensate for the fools that compiled the database. No variation of search strategy will locate something that isn't in the database to begin with.