Navi reset on engine start- normal?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2005, 07:38 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Navi reset on engine start- normal?

OK a dumb question from a new TL owner. I read the entire manual and there was no answer there.

When the ignition is switched to "I" or "II" (with engine off) the navi starts up, nag screen, press OK. I then programed the route I wanted. Then I turned the key from the "II" position to start the engine the navi reset, nag screen again, hit OK and it lost the route I had set, since I did not save it. Is it normal for the navi to reset on engine start? Why do I have to go through 2 of those horrible nag screen waits.

I guess I should just do all my route progamming with the engine already started, or save the route on the Todays Route screen. Not a big deal, just curious if this is normal or not.

Just an aside. I think the navi is great. I'm glad I got it.
Old 04-02-2005, 10:32 AM
JT3
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Yes, it's normal for the navi to be reset during ignition. However, you shouldn't have lost your route.

If you program the route and you let it finish calculating, then when the navi resets, and you press OK, it should then prompt you to continue your last route. Even if you accidentally say no here, the route should be available through the menu screen by pressing the previous destinations option.
Old 04-03-2005, 12:04 PM
2004 SSM/EB/5AT/Navi/RSB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah, this is annoying. If I didn't have to wait through the entire boot sequence and nag screen, it wouldn't be so bad. I think it's reseting because power to it is temporarily interrupted while the engine turns over. I wonder if a modification could be made to put a large capacitor across the nav's power to allow it to coast through the power interruption without reseting.
Old 04-05-2005, 09:48 PM
Red line...use it

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bluenoise
Yeah, this is annoying. If I didn't have to wait through the entire boot sequence and nag screen, it wouldn't be so bad. I think it's reseting because power to it is temporarily interrupted while the engine turns over. I wonder if a modification could be made to put a large capacitor across the nav's power to allow it to coast through the power interruption without reseting.
I thought the same thing. But I wonder...if you notice, the headlights do not even dim at all when starting. This always happens with other cars. When you draw 80 to 100 amps for the starter, the voltage drops. Unless these new headlights do not react that way (then can handle a short drop in voltage).

Any ideas if these lights are different in that respect? If not, maybe they reset the NAVI by default to fix some problem....we do a reboot with windows machines all the time.