Navi To DVD - Diagonal Lines / Ground Issues?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2006 | 12:35 AM
9th Gear

Question Navi To DVD - Diagonal Lines / Ground Issues?

I just finished the navi conversion using Dom's Kit. However, occasionally I notice faint diagonal lines running across the screen. Do you know what could be causing this? I've read through the forum and found a few posts suggesting noise filters and such? Also I read about some ground loops and possible "unclean" power sources.

So just to describe the way my setup is currently hooked up. I have the DVD player power tapped into my cigarette lighter 12v power line in the armrest and I also tapped the ground into there.

Dom's unit is powered by tapping into a 12v line that is being used by the P.I.E. Aux3 adapter and is connected to an add-a-circuit. I'm using a bolt on the body for ground. I also grounded the blue/white and green/white wires to that bolt.

So if any of that is horrendously wrong, my apologies because I'm not an EE guru or anything.

Questions:

1. Do you think the diagonal lines are caused by the DVD player's power or Dom's Unit?

2. Is it bad to tap my power AND ground into the cigaretter lighter power?

3. What fuses are people using to power their mods? I only found two that seem to turn on with one key turn. The rest seem to be always on or only turn on after two key turns.

4. If I were going to try a noise filter, could anyone point me to a model? Is it the same as the ground loop isolator used for audio devices?
Old 04-20-2006 | 03:49 PM
10th Gear

Hi
In the DB9 cable you should see a black and shield wire. Did you ground these???
Thanks Dominic www.TVandNav2Go.com

Originally Posted by bigdenis
I just finished the navi conversion using Dom's Kit. However, occasionally I notice faint diagonal lines running across the screen. Do you know what could be causing this? I've read through the forum and found a few posts suggesting noise filters and such? Also I read about some ground loops and possible "unclean" power sources.

So just to describe the way my setup is currently hooked up. I have the DVD player power tapped into my cigarette lighter 12v power line in the armrest and I also tapped the ground into there.

Dom's unit is powered by tapping into a 12v line that is being used by the P.I.E. Aux3 adapter and is connected to an add-a-circuit. I'm using a bolt on the body for ground. I also grounded the blue/white and green/white wires to that bolt.

So if any of that is horrendously wrong, my apologies because I'm not an EE guru or anything.

Questions:

1. Do you think the diagonal lines are caused by the DVD player's power or Dom's Unit?

2. Is it bad to tap my power AND ground into the cigaretter lighter power?

3. What fuses are people using to power their mods? I only found two that seem to turn on with one key turn. The rest seem to be always on or only turn on after two key turns.

4. If I were going to try a noise filter, could anyone point me to a model? Is it the same as the ground loop isolator used for audio devices?
Old 04-20-2006 | 04:56 PM
9th Gear

Is this the black and the silver wire? If so, I grounded them to one of the 4 screws (top right) holding the navi screen in place. Was that a poor choice of ground?
Old 04-20-2006 | 06:57 PM
Team Anthracite Webmaster

hey, i've had this prob too... never got it resolved yet....

here's a vid of it:
http://nullform.net/Movie.wmv

tell me if that's what happening with yours
Old 04-21-2006 | 12:16 AM
9th Gear

yup that's pretty much it except my lines are a little finer. I wound up moving the ground for the converter to have it grounded to the chassis. I also disconnected the blue/white and left it hanging at dom's suggestion. However, it seems pretty much the same still.

Which method did you use to hook it up? I used the d-sub method and I'm wondering if it's an interference issue caused by the d-subs. Would I have better luck with soldering? Anybody?
Old 04-21-2006 | 07:51 AM

goto radio shack and get yourself a Ground Loop Isolator for less than 20 bucks, it should fix your problem

Old 04-21-2006 | 10:40 AM

yup that's pretty much it except my lines are a little finer. I wound up moving the ground for the converter to have it grounded to the chassis. I also disconnected the blue/white and left it hanging at dom's suggestion. However, it seems pretty much the same still.

Which method did you use to hook it up? I used the d-sub method and I'm wondering if it's an interference issue caused by the d-subs. Would I have better luck with soldering? Anybody?
I directly soldered, although i might go back and use d-subs to make it cleaner.

where would the GLI go in this case? i think i have one on the audio side ...
Old 04-21-2006 | 11:07 AM
9th Gear

Hey rfb, same question. I saw your post in a different thread also about the ground loop isolator. But the only plugs we have coming out of the converter are an RCA video cable (from the DVD source, so I don't think that would be it) and a D15 cable out. so I don't think there's anywhere that ground loop isolator can go. Also, I went to radio shack and checked out there model specifically and it says it should not be used for video. Thanks though. :P
Old 04-21-2006 | 12:36 PM
9th Gear

oops. no offense... i meant rbf351.
Old 04-21-2006 | 03:42 PM
10th Gear

Cool

Hi
You may want to try 1 other thing. Instead of ground the harness to ground and the black and shield wire to ground try attaching it to pin A13 on the 20 pin connector. I think the color of the wire is blue. This is RGB ground. This may solve your problem.

Thanks Dominic

oops. no offense... i meant rbf351.
Old 04-21-2006 | 09:47 PM
9th Gear

... tried moving the ground again. No luck. I wonder if it has to do with the wires being so close to the screen (e.g. directly behind) vs. in the trunk? zeez I just noticed that you were the person who commented on my other post about it being okay to mount behind the screen. And you're also the only person who's said they have this same problem. Does anyone have the converter mounted behind and screen and NOT have this interference problem.
Old 04-22-2006 | 01:25 AM

heh yeah... i swear i saw other people do it like that too :p
Old 04-25-2006 | 12:03 PM

did anyone else on here install the non-PNP kit behind the screen? please post here and let us know if you have any issues