Nav vs Non-Nav?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2011 | 02:05 PM
Advanced

Nav vs Non-Nav?

Hi guys,

I'm still looking for a TL and looking through this site and I've seen a lot of people on here say that you basically need NAV on the TL. My question is - what does it do for you that a GPS doesn't? I already have a GPS and it works well. I realize that a NAV already built into the car may be more convenient or easy to use, but is it something you really need?

So basically, what I'm asking is: what does the factory Acura Nav system do that a GPS can't?
Old 02-16-2011 | 02:07 PM

I dont even use my nav.

The only thing it does is it completes the look of the interior.
without it, the car looks bland from the inside.

your GPS will be more uptodate than the nav.
Old 02-16-2011 | 02:09 PM
BANNED

the interior of a non-nav TL looks naked and incomplete.

the interior of a nav TL looks SO much better. the navi belongs in a TL. i would not get a TL without one.

do some research about the nav systems, it's not only a gps.
Old 02-16-2011 | 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by SharksBreath
the interior of a non-nav TL looks naked and incomplete.

the interior of a nav TL looks SO much better. the navi belongs in a TL. i would not get a TL without one.

do some research about the nav systems, it's not only a gps.
i think this is what hes asking us.
I dont use mine, but are there voice control that the non navs dont have?
Old 02-16-2011 | 02:19 PM
All About Trance

There are lots of other features that a navi-equipped TL has than a non-navi one. For instance, you can activate your HVAC, radio, cell phone, etc. via voice command. With the non-navi version, you can only activate your cell via BT.
Old 02-16-2011 | 02:21 PM
Advanced

I do agree that the car looks better with nav, but other than that is there anything? Such as with audio controls, etc?

Also, is it possible to update the nav system to 2009-11?
Old 02-16-2011 | 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by ENAHS
I do agree that the car looks better with nav, but other than that is there anything? Such as with audio controls, etc?

no, not possible.
Old 02-16-2011 | 02:29 PM
'06 WDP TL 6MT

The guy just posted 2 minutes before you with those answers.
Old 02-16-2011 | 02:34 PM
BANNED

yeah you can control audio/radio/cd's/ipods from the navi.
Old 02-16-2011 | 02:45 PM
Chapter Leader (Houston)

Yes you can buy the updated nav cds for your unit. I currently have the 2011 disc
Old 02-16-2011 | 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by TLDude876
Yes you can buy the updated nav cds for your unit. I currently have the 2011 disc
Good point, Dennis.
I read it as he wanted to change out the entire system to an 09-11.
Old 02-16-2011 | 02:54 PM
the overexplainer

I actually use my Garmin because it has the latest maps loaded in + it has traffic information that my 04 doesnt have.

I dont even know what version map it's running, and I doubt the previous owner bothered to update (since he didnt bother to do many other things with the car).
Old 02-16-2011 | 02:59 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by TLDude876
How much does that cost, and does it make a big difference?
Old 02-16-2011 | 03:02 PM
US Navy Seabees

How much does that cost, and does it make a big difference?
its like 200 bucks and it adds new maps, and improved graphics. Not worth it to me.
Old 02-16-2011 | 03:05 PM
Suzuka Master

I purchase a new disc each year, but compared to our Tom Tom the navigation part leaves a lot to be desired.
Old 02-16-2011 | 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by Ruby
its like 200 bucks and it adds new maps, and improved graphics. Not worth it to me.
improved graphix!?!?!??!

i think its just updated maps.
Old 02-16-2011 | 03:24 PM
Advanced

It sounds interesting..do you have to buy them from Acura or can you find them cheaper somewhere else?
Old 02-16-2011 | 03:28 PM
Registered Member

Hi guys,

I'm still looking for a TL and looking through this site and I've seen a lot of people on here say that you basically need NAV on the TL. My question is - what does it do for you that a GPS doesn't? I already have a GPS and it works well. I realize that a NAV already built into the car may be more convenient or easy to use, but is it something you really need?

So basically, what I'm asking is: what does the factory Acura Nav system do that a GPS can't?
No, you don't need a navigation system. The same as you don't need A/C or power windows or a moon roof or a sound system or heated seats or any of the other niceties modern cars offer their owners.

The factory Nav system in the 3G TL does a whole lot more than just display a map, give directions, and show the closest gas stations. It also is linked to the hands free bluetooth system as well as the HVAC system. For example, if you are driving north on a highway during the summer at around 4:00pm with an outside temperature of 96 degrees and you're using your A/C, your Nav knows what time of day it is and which direction you're heading so it signals your HVAC to flow a little more A/C to the driver's side to offset the increased temperature from the sun on that part of the car.

There are other features with the unit, but you get the point. It was a major selling feature at the time the car was introduced and will be a major consideration at private sell or trade in time.
Old 02-16-2011 | 03:32 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by mn2trance
There are lots of other features that a navi-equipped TL has than a non-navi one. For instance, you can activate your HVAC, radio, cell phone, etc. via voice command. With the non-navi version, you can only activate your cell via BT.
imo everything is more integrated w/the navi and gives it more of that luxury feel to it...i regret not getting it even up to this day. interior is nice, but missing that component in the center console.
Old 02-16-2011 | 03:59 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by SouthernBoy
No, you don't need a navigation system. The same as you don't need A/C or power windows or a moon roof or a sound system or heated seats or any of the other niceties modern cars offer their owners.

The factory Nav system in the 3G TL does a whole lot more than just display a map, give directions, and show the closest gas stations. It also is linked to the hands free bluetooth system as well as the HVAC system. For example, if you are driving north on a highway during the summer at around 4:00pm with an outside temperature of 96 degrees and you're using your A/C, your Nav knows what time of day it is and which direction you're heading so it signals your HVAC to flow a little more A/C to the driver's side to offset the increased temperature from the sun on that part of the car.

There are other features with the unit, but you get the point. It was a major selling feature at the time the car was introduced and will be a major consideration at private sell or trade in time.
Wow, that's an awesome example. Thank you! Although all of the TL's I have test drove so far HAVE had Navi, I haven't really gotten the chance to play around with it too much but I will be sure to next time I go!

Thank you all so much!
Old 02-16-2011 | 04:16 PM
the overexplainer

Good luck on the search!

Let me tell you, maybe it's cause my group of friends are young working professionals, but they are blown away when they see me control the fans and a/c with my voice haha. Hell of a car for the price.
Old 02-16-2011 | 04:25 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by ez12a
Good luck on the search!

Let me tell you, maybe it's cause my group of friends are young working professionals, but they are blown away when they see me control the fans and a/c with my voice haha. Hell of a car for the price.
I think it's more convenient to use the AC controls. Faster too lol.

Navi makes the interior look a hell of a lot better but I saved my money and went without it.
Old 02-16-2011 | 04:40 PM
Registered Member

Wow, that's an awesome example. Thank you! Although all of the TL's I have test drove so far HAVE had Navi, I haven't really gotten the chance to play around with it too much but I will be sure to next time I go!

Thank you all so much!
You're most welcome. It really does quite a lot with the car because it is integrated in so much of the car's features. When I was looking for my '04 manual, I really didn't want Nav. But during a lull in the negotiation, the sales manager told me something that I'm pretty certain was true (and believe me, when it comes to car dealers, I am a skeptic). He said that they had never had a customer come back and tell them that they were sorry they got Nav on their TL. This is the one time I think they were right. It really does do quite a lot and I seriously doubt you would be sorry you got it.

Here's another little feature you might enjoy. You and your lady are on the way to a favored restaurant and you decide to call ahead. So you bring up the business on your Nav, then say or press "Send" and the call is made to the restaurant for your reservation. And while you're doing this, the Nav lowers the volume on your sound system so that it doesn't interfere with your call. If it is a CD you are listing to, the CD is paused automatically.

So much.

Last edited by SouthernBoy; 02-16-2011 at 04:44 PM.
Old 02-16-2011 | 04:46 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by SpiderX1016

Navi makes the interior look a hell of a lot better but I saved my money and went without it.
Well not always. Today it was a little cooler than yesterday so I said, "Climate control floor", and got exactly what I wanted.
Old 02-16-2011 | 06:22 PM
Burning Brakes

your Nav knows what time of day it is and which direction you're heading so it signals your HVAC to flow a little more A/C to the driver's side to offset the increased temperature from the sun on that part of the car.
Actually I think the non-navi version has a sun sensor that contrlols the HVAC, it's located in the front right on the dash.
Old 02-16-2011 | 06:33 PM
Registered TL Owner

Originally Posted by Babnik
Actually I think the non-navi version has a sun sensor that contrlols the HVAC, it's located in the front right on the dash.
I'm pretty sure that feature is only on the models with navigation. I remember the description saying "GPS linked climate control"
Old 02-16-2011 | 06:37 PM
Team Owner

The guys have listed some great examples. Plus, the resale value on our car is higher with NAV.
Old 02-16-2011 | 07:24 PM
the overexplainer

Originally Posted by SpiderX1016

true. I just do it to show off when people are in my car Come to think of it i've never used the voice HVAC controls otherwise..
Old 02-16-2011 | 07:28 PM

Get the nav. You'll most likely regret your decision if you don't.
Old 02-16-2011 | 08:54 PM
Banned

Well said bro..ha ha ha.
Old 02-16-2011 | 09:31 PM
Senior Moderator

I just learned a couple of weeks ago from another AZ member (Roger555- I think that's his username) that you can even adjust speedometer calibration if you are running non factory wheels.

I'm not sure if aftermarket units have this but 07/08 TL's w/ Navi have a backup camera which I like.
Old 02-16-2011 | 09:35 PM
2007 TL Type-S NBP

I love the Nav in my car just for the radio display element and maintenance code message display. The Nav system sucks when it comes to searching for specific points of interest while traveling. I actually keep my Garmin in my center console to use for longer trips where I'm likely to search for a specific brand of gas station while traveling. Despite this, I still wouldn't want to go without my factory Nav.
Old 02-17-2011 | 12:26 AM
Advanced

Wow I'm glad I asked this question, I love to find cool hidden features in cars! Does the voice command work well? I know in my dad's 2010 Equinox LTZ () the voice command system doesn't always work the best.
Old 02-17-2011 | 06:29 AM
Registered Member

Wow I'm glad I asked this question, I love to find cool hidden features in cars! Does the voice command work well? I know in my dad's 2010 Equinox LTZ () the voice command system doesn't always work the best.
I own two 3G TL's; an '04 manual (mine) and an '05 automatic (the wife's). The voice commands seem to work better in my '04 than in the '05, but I am pretty sure there is a very real reason for this.

When I went to buy my '04, I didn't want the Nav because I didn't see the need for it. After all, I have never had something like this before so why would I need or want it? But all of the manuals on their lot (27% of their TL inventory) had Nav so it was either wait for one to come in that was non-Nav or bite the bullet and go with it and I am not sorry I got one. When the time comes to sell or trade the car, you can bet that question of "Does it have Nav" is going to be asked.

One of the things I use the system for most is anticipation. By that I mean anticipating when a turn is going to be coming up or a road you are looking for. When you are in an area where you seldom go, or have never been, this can be a very good feature.
Old 02-17-2011 | 10:18 AM
All About Trance

One of the things I use the system for most is anticipation. By that I mean anticipating when a turn is going to be coming up or a road you are looking for. When you are in an area where you seldom go, or have never been, this can be a very good feature.
That's what I miss about not having a navi. I seldom travel to places I don't know, but for times like those, it's good to know how to get around obstacles like traffic jams and unfamiliar terrain.
Old 02-17-2011 | 11:48 AM
skh
Intermediate

Thumbs down

I am going to disagree with everyone here... I just purchased a new to me 04TL and this is one of the things that I dislike about the car. It has never given me correct directions, never. And it is slow. Maybe I'm just not use to using the voice commands for the radio/AC but to me it is unnatural to press the voice command button and then say a command, it feels more natural to just press a button, just my

As for the finish of the inside, yes I do agree that it looks great, but how stupid does my car look when I have a built-in Navi and I have to use an after market Navi I think Acura has missed the ball on this one.
Old 02-17-2011 | 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by skh
I am going to disagree with everyone here... I just purchased a new to me 04TL and this is one of the things that I dislike about the car. It has never given me correct directions, never. And it is slow. Maybe I'm just not use to using the voice commands for the radio/AC but to me it is unnatural to press the voice command button and then say a command, it feels more natural to just press a button, just my

As for the finish of the inside, yes I do agree that it looks great, but how stupid does my car look when I have a built-in Navi and I have to use an after market Navi I think Acura has missed the ball on this one.
you have to realize that it is a 7 year old system.
it is going to be outdated.
even with a new map set, it will still feel archaic in terms of newer cars.

in 2004, I bet it was the bees knees.
Old 02-17-2011 | 12:57 PM
Advanced

I am definitely looking for one with nav, and this popped up on ebay today and I'm actually considering it (I've never even considered salvage vehicles before) but this one looks like there is almost NO damage at all!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Acura...#ht_1673wt_962

I don't even like the body kit anyway so I would probably get rid of that. So all I would need is a new bumper? Maybe I should post this somewhere else I just didn't want to create a new thread just for this :x
Old 02-17-2011 | 02:16 PM
Pro

besides the calculator and calendar what other features can we enable on the navigation.. i believe the navi hack enables the A/C controls too..
Old 02-17-2011 | 02:21 PM
Intermediate

what a helpful thread im gettin a tl today!!!

Quick Reply: Nav vs Non-Nav?