Nav vs Non-Nav?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2011 | 02:49 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by ENAHS
I am definitely looking for one with nav, and this popped up on ebay today and I'm actually considering it (I've never even considered salvage vehicles before) but this one looks like there is almost NO damage at all!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Acura...#ht_1673wt_962

I don't even like the body kit anyway so I would probably get rid of that. So all I would need is a new bumper? Maybe I should post this somewhere else I just didn't want to create a new thread just for this :x
?????????????????????????

DON'T DO THAT. People on this forum are paying 700+ dollars for the lipkit and you wanna sell it because you don't like it. You may not like it now, but in a month or too you will love it.
Old 02-17-2011 | 08:16 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ellyellyelly
what a helpful thread im gettin a tl today!!!
Are you getting navigation or not? Which year and model?
Old 02-17-2011 | 11:56 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by myron
?????????????????????????

DON'T DO THAT. People on this forum are paying 700+ dollars for the lipkit and you wanna sell it because you don't like it. You may not like it now, but in a month or too you will love it.
No I'm not saying that. The car I'm looking at buying has one and I don't like it. Maybe I could just take it off and then put it back on if I decide I want it?
Old 02-18-2011 | 12:40 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by ENAHS
No I'm not saying that. The car I'm looking at buying has one and I don't like it. Maybe I could just take it off and then put it back on if I decide I want it?
That is dumb... You risk pulling paint. 3m tape is that strong. Find a different car if you don't like A-spec kit. Most want it but its a price jump that some cant afford. Why dont you like? That kit btw is more than a lip. It's sides and rear so...
Old 02-18-2011 | 01:53 PM
Cruisin'

My 08 TL does not have Navi and I'm delighted with it anyway. It's very much a personal preference though. I almost got one with Navi but it just seemed pointless to pay the extra ~$2k, especially when I already have a portable GPS unit that I never use, and GPS on my iPhone.
Old 02-18-2011 | 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by pixiechic
My 08 TL does not have Navi and I'm delighted with it anyway. It's very much a personal preference though. I almost got one with Navi but it just seemed pointless to pay the extra ~$2k, especially when I already have a portable GPS unit that I never use, and GPS on my iPhone.
did you buy the car new?
if not, it would not be an extra $2K.
I looked at several 06 TL's with the same mileage, with and without navi. all at the same price point.
Old 02-18-2011 | 02:54 PM
Cruisin'

No, I did not buy it new, and yes, it was priced at $1500/$2,000 more.
Old 02-18-2011 | 04:01 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by justnspace
did you buy the car new?
if not, it would not be an extra $2K.
I looked at several 06 TL's with the same mileage, with and without navi. all at the same price point.
Not that there is any need to 2nd day quarter back but you tell me if your iPhone can change your audio by voice inputs or change you A/C settings by voice and then and only then i'll say its equal to your cell phone navi..lol.

No, I did not buy it new, and yes, it was priced at $1500/$2,000 more.
Wrong... On a used car navi is a $500 dollar up charge. Only a new car is 1500-2000 difference and even then you can get it at 800 dollar difference if you have good haggling skills.

Like i said though you have the car you have now. To the folks that don't have their car yet, to prevent distraction while driving to change the disc you are listening to or to adjust your fan speed, or the temp from 62 degrees to 70 by voice, or say XM chane 141 as well as the other 272 commands by voice get the navi.
Old 02-18-2011 | 04:13 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by ParaSurfer1979
Not that there is any need to 2nd day quarter back but you tell me if your iPhone can change your audio by voice inputs or change you A/C settings by voice and then and only then i'll say its equal to your cell phone navi..lol.
Of course my iPhone can't change my car audio, A/C or anything else by voice. I never said it was equal to the Navi, just that I didn't see the need for it. YMMV
Old 02-18-2011 | 07:56 PM
Cruisin'

You know what? I went back and checked, and you guys were right -- it was just about a $500 price difference for the Navi. I stand corrected by the experts!
Old 02-19-2011 | 03:46 AM
Banned

You know what? I went back and checked, and you guys were right -- it was just about a $500 price difference for the Navi. I stand corrected by the experts!
NP I used to sell Honda/Acuras from the dealer I continue to purchase my cars from. I wouldn't tell you wrong. 500.00 Isn't much to pay for full navi in dash.
Old 02-19-2011 | 06:57 AM
DMZ
Head a da Family

One of the best parts of getting the Nav is that you won't wind up being amongst the many 1000's who didn't that wound up banging their heads into the wall afterward wishing they had.

Why do you think the vast majority of used 3G TL's out there for sale are non-Nav?

Last edited by DMZ; 02-19-2011 at 07:00 AM.
Old 02-22-2011 | 02:17 PM
Cruisin'

OK - I have to get this off my chest after experiencing both the Non and Navi (guess which one was second?). This is for ENAHS and everyone else contemplating this...

As Southern Boy said: "No, you don't need a navigation system." Nor a TL for that matter. So why even ask this question? I think whether you "need" navi or how well it compares to a Garmin or TomTom is moot and gets away from what Navi really brings.

As has been mentioned here and elsewhere many times, Navi is more than navigation. First, it integrates much of the TL's core operations into voice activation and color display as well as adding new capability such as AcuraLink and GPS (not just light sensor) activated climate control - and it just looks right. Do you "need" any of these things? Of course not. Will you "want" any of these things? If you are a forum-scanning, gadget/performance/quality-driven, should I get navi-asking TL-buyer, then, I think, yes.

Second, let's face it, is the emotional aspect of having a completed, at least at its core, vehicle. The TL is about the integration of drive and technology (no, I don't work for them) in a seamless, subtle way. The Navi SYSTEM (not just mapping) is the hub of that integration. Remove the hub and...

As I mentioned, I know this from experience. My original Acura was a new 2005 ABP/Camel TL Non-Navi. Everything about that car was perfect - the color, the interior, the drive, the HFL, etc... except it was missing that one, last core piece. Yes, I got the TomTom w John Cleese's voice and 3D mapping, etc...... but it was not "part" of the car. It was an add-on. And am I the only non-navi purchaser scanning other TLs in the parking lot for navi? I am sure there are those out there who could not care less - that's great - but then they aren't likely even asking the question in the first place.

This last weekend I traded in my TL for an MDX (we need the SUV carrying cap.). Guess what was on the top of my list? And one of my key negotiating points? Get me the 2011 Update DVD gratis (i spend time on the forum lol).

If you're buying a TL buy the whole thing.

PS - It's been great here at AZ TL; I'm off to the MDX'rs forum now but will keep visiting the Audio/Electronics forums here (more DIY'rs in the TL forum )
Old 02-22-2011 | 02:21 PM

i must be the only one that has navi that actively scans other TL's interiors to see if they have navi.
MOST do not.

VERY good write up tlysis
Old 02-22-2011 | 04:12 PM
Suzuka Master

My nav in my 06 works very well in my area. I sometimes bring our Garmin along just to see the difference. There really isnt much. Actually on the Garmin its kinda difficult to look at entire routes that are being proposed to see if I would like to change course due to the traffic feature. Its very easy to zoom out and see the entire route on the TL navigation screen.

But I think the most important feature of all with the integrated navigation is that She will lower the music volume before she speaks so that you can hear her and are alerted to a future decision point. The Garmin just speaks without knowing that I cannot possibly hear the directions because I have music on. So it requires either low volume listening or constantly watching the Garmin screen.

I prefer the several years older built in navigation for almost every purpose.
Old 02-22-2011 | 07:59 PM
[x] FWCC [x]

I couldn't agreed more dude, I also have an 08 TL and I'm highly satisfied that i didn't get the one with the NAV. After seen one of my friend's accord gps go dead after that day i realized i never wanna go through that lol. Just go to a bestbuy and buy your self a portable $250 Garmin Nuvi and it will serve you better than one of these internal GPS's. True story.
Old 02-22-2011 | 09:59 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by tlysis
OK - I have to get this off my chest after experiencing both the Non and Navi (guess which one was second?). This is for ENAHS and everyone else contemplating this...

As Southern Boy said: "No, you don't need a navigation system." Nor a TL for that matter. So why even ask this question? I think whether you "need" navi or how well it compares to a Garmin or TomTom is moot and gets away from what Navi really brings.

As has been mentioned here and elsewhere many times, Navi is more than navigation. First, it integrates much of the TL's core operations into voice activation and color display as well as adding new capability such as AcuraLink and GPS (not just light sensor) activated climate control - and it just looks right. Do you "need" any of these things? Of course not. Will you "want" any of these things? If you are a forum-scanning, gadget/performance/quality-driven, should I get navi-asking TL-buyer, then, I think, yes.

Second, let's face it, is the emotional aspect of having a completed, at least at its core, vehicle. The TL is about the integration of drive and technology (no, I don't work for them) in a seamless, subtle way. The Navi SYSTEM (not just mapping) is the hub of that integration. Remove the hub and...

As I mentioned, I know this from experience. My original Acura was a new 2005 ABP/Camel TL Non-Navi. Everything about that car was perfect - the color, the interior, the drive, the HFL, etc... except it was missing that one, last core piece. Yes, I got the TomTom w John Cleese's voice and 3D mapping, etc...... but it was not "part" of the car. It was an add-on. And am I the only non-navi purchaser scanning other TLs in the parking lot for navi? I am sure there are those out there who could not care less - that's great - but then they aren't likely even asking the question in the first place.

This last weekend I traded in my TL for an MDX (we need the SUV carrying cap.). Guess what was on the top of my list? And one of my key negotiating points? Get me the 2011 Update DVD gratis (i spend time on the forum lol).

If you're buying a TL buy the whole thing.

PS - It's been great here at AZ TL; I'm off to the MDX'rs forum now but will keep visiting the Audio/Electronics forums here (more DIY'rs in the TL forum )
And this is why i think Acura adjusted the name to the Technology Pkg and no just Navi and rightfully so because there is a lot more that come with just Navigation. If you were paying 2k for navi when the TL is new and it's just navigation, you bet i'd pass up on it but when it comes with all that's included for 2k when new ($500 used) you can bet im jumping all over the navi equipped car.
Old 02-23-2011 | 01:41 PM
[x] FWCC [x]

I might just get me an after market GPS/DVD in dash radio and have someone to customize it for me.
Old 02-24-2011 | 12:40 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by tones160
I might just get me an after market GPS/DVD in dash radio and have someone to customize it for me.
You'd really pay the amount of money (thousands) to tear into that dash? you're talking a lot of cash vs. $500 for a TL with navi.
Old 02-25-2011 | 06:31 AM
3rd Gear

Navi=Pussy magnet.
Old 02-25-2011 | 12:48 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by MissionRecon
Navi=Pussy magnet.
I have my looks to do that for me...ha ha ha!!! I have navi but dont need a nice car w/ Navi to pull in hot flesh...lol.
Old 03-05-2011 | 11:39 AM
7th Gear

I love my nav! So glad I was able to find a TL for sale with it. The voice commands really do make it cool, as others have said.

I highly recommend it.
Old 03-05-2011 | 02:46 PM
Burning Brakes

navi is well worth it i didnt get my car with a navi...regretted it everyday and then spent 1700 to get the oem navi put in
Old 04-14-2011 | 12:50 PM
2008 TL w/ nav.

Originally Posted by mrlal8
navi is well worth it i didnt get my car with a navi...regretted it everyday and then spent 1700 to get the oem navi put in
Bought my 08 TL in March 2011, totalled it 2 weeks later (a bozo ran a stop sign). Car saved my life. Two weeks after that found another 08, same color but w/Navi. Bought that one and love it! It really is a tech package, much more than navi. Acura.com has the latest 2011 Navi DVD for $149.00. Found one on eBay for $126 shipped.
Old 04-14-2011 | 03:09 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by jimstractors
Bought my 08 TL in March 2011, totalled it 2 weeks later (a bozo ran a stop sign). Car saved my life. Two weeks after that found another 08, same color but w/Navi. Bought that one and love it! It really is a tech package, much more than navi. Acura.com has the latest 2011 Navi DVD for $149.00. Found one on eBay for $126 shipped.
I'm glad you are Okay!!!. Great short review. This is why they call it Technology Pkg now. There is so much more you get when you get Navi. Especially 04-06 models because you can add hack to give you so much more info.
Old 04-14-2011 | 05:28 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Project X
besides the calculator and calendar what other features can we enable on the navigation.. i believe the navi hack enables the A/C controls too..
...and the Trip Computer.
Old 04-15-2011 | 01:23 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by dwb993
...and the Trip Computer.
Instant mpg graph too. or meter..lol.