Nav thinks its in an Accord!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2005, 02:13 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nav thinks its in an Accord!!

My nav unit rebooted itself while just driving along, and read "Downloading software. Please do not turn off engine." I thought, weird. It must be downloading from a satellite (even though I didn't think they did that).

Now my boot screen shows a Honda symbol instead of Acura, and the screens are a bit different (icons, sound screen does not have Sub or Center controls, etc...)

I took it by the dealer, and we put in an upgraded DVD. Didn't change anything in the software, but at least I got one under warranty. Now, they want to just replace the entire Nav unit.

Does anyone know how to cycle between Honda and Acura versions of the software? Also, how many satellites does everyone see. I never see more than 3, and the Nav is wrong 50-60% of the time. That's why they're replacing it.

The problem is solved since they're replacing the unit, but I would like to know nonetheless.

Thanks.
Old 11-19-2005, 02:30 PM
Racer

I've read about switching a file or renaming it that causes the system to function as if it were an Accord. I believe they did it so as to gain the functionality of a trip computer in the car.

Weird that it happened without you doing anything though..,.
Old 11-19-2005, 06:36 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You can burn a CD and modify it to intentionally change from the acura to the accord nav. In this case, they should be replacing the nav as something is wrong. Good luck.
Old 11-21-2005, 12:45 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts
i cant find that thread.. do you remember where it was...

ill have some free time over the thanksgiving vacation---
Old 11-21-2005, 01:12 PM
Fightin' Texas Aggie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I think this is the one...

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66044
Old 11-22-2005, 11:51 AM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Received 561 Likes on 393 Posts
Originally Posted by dmsmitty
My nav unit rebooted itself while just driving along, and read "Downloading software. Please do not turn off engine." I thought, weird. It must be downloading from a satellite (even though I didn't think they did that).

Now my boot screen shows a Honda symbol instead of Acura, and the screens are a bit different (icons, sound screen does not have Sub or Center controls, etc...)

I took it by the dealer, and we put in an upgraded DVD. Didn't change anything in the software, but at least I got one under warranty. Now, they want to just replace the entire Nav unit.

Does anyone know how to cycle between Honda and Acura versions of the software? Also, how many satellites does everyone see. I never see more than 3, and the Nav is wrong 50-60% of the time. That's why they're replacing it.

The problem is solved since they're replacing the unit, but I would like to know nonetheless.

Thanks.
Exact same thing happened to me last Spring!!

The dealer had to reload the Acura software. The only reason I allowed them to do it was that the clock above would not change with daylight savings. The clock within the Nav system was correct, but would not sync with the dash clock. Another thing you loose are the audio controls for center channel and sub woofer. I would have left it as was if that clock could be set.
Old 11-22-2005, 11:52 AM
Burning Brakes

thanks!!!

i should have searched trip computer... duh lol
Old 11-22-2005, 01:24 PM
Certified Hater

Originally Posted by DMZ
Exact same thing happened to me last Spring!!

The dealer had to reload the Acura software. The only reason I allowed them to do it was that the clock above would not change with daylight savings. The clock within the Nav system was correct, but would not sync with the dash clock. Another thing you loose are the audio controls for center channel and sub woofer. I would have left it as was if that clock could be set.

Playing Linkin Park in the car huh? Nice
Old 11-22-2005, 02:24 PM
Racer

Is that the only screen thats gained with the mod?
Old 11-22-2005, 03:29 PM
Wants an M3 in

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Iceman23
Playing Linkin Park in the car huh? Nice

that was prolly XM High Voltage Oopie and Andy or whatever that is ...
Old 11-22-2005, 03:59 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by dmsmitty
Also, how many satellites does everyone see. I never see more than 3, and the Nav is wrong 50-60% of the time. That's why they're replacing it.
how do you know the # of satellites tracking you? I have not seen that before...forgive me for being an Acura noob....
Old 11-22-2005, 05:38 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by jbcritch
how do you know the # of satellites tracking you? I have not seen that before...forgive me for being an Acura noob....
Lookfor the tips and tricks post here somewhere. Here's how:

Press and hold the Map/Guide button, and while holding it, press and hold both Menu and Cancel for a few seconds. Then look under GPS Navigation. WHile here push and hold the Menu button for 10 seconds to get the GPS Detail screen.

There is all sorts of interesting things displayed, but be careful as a change to some setting could cause problems.
Old 11-23-2005, 10:07 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ludachrisvt
that was prolly XM High Voltage Oopie and Andy or whatever that is ...

ahem

opie anthony and ...

<------------- JIMMY!!!

lol
Old 11-23-2005, 11:10 AM
gt1
` . ' . SUV haterrr

DMZ, did the trip comupter on navi actually work? If so, were the instant MPG reading close to reality?
Old 11-23-2005, 11:20 AM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by deandorsey
ahem

opie anthony and ...

<------------- JIMMY!!!

lol

lil' Jimmy! Awesome!
Old 11-25-2005, 02:28 PM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Received 561 Likes on 393 Posts
Originally Posted by gt1
DMZ, did the trip comupter on navi actually work? If so, were the instant MPG reading close to reality?
Yes! The trip computer actually worked! The instantaneous MPG indicator sort of worked but there was a distinct lag. For example, I'd take my foot off the gas and it would take at least a couple of seconds for the indicator to follow through.
Old 11-25-2005, 04:19 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by DMZ
Yes! The trip computer actually worked! The instantaneous MPG indicator sort of worked but there was a distinct lag. For example, I'd take my foot off the gas and it would take at least a couple of seconds for the indicator to follow through.
I always wanted an instant MPG, but this is kind of slow. I thought about keeping the Honda nav software just for that reason, but I've lost more than I've gained. I miss the sub/center level controls. I wired my sub (10") into the car so that the sub level would control it. I have so much bass now that is drowns out everything else which is great if I'm 16, but...

My dealer (Mac Churchill in Fort Worth) has offered to replace the navi with a new unit since this one has been cantankerous since day one (26K miles now). I'm going to let them get it back to normal. The trip computer is not worth everything else lost. IMO.