My Secret Media Player REVEALED - Mediagate MG-25P

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2007, 05:40 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Some obvious questions first. Which Mediagate do you have, MG-25 or MG-35? I assume the files play on your computer? You setup the cables properly? Have you tried playing mp3s?
Old 08-30-2007, 06:04 PM
9th Gear

MG-25P As far as playing a mp3 i d/l 1 song and then went to the audio tab and it says no music file found. The cables using the basic red, white, yellow. Nothing
Old 08-31-2007, 02:19 AM
Safety Car

Received 39 Likes on 15 Posts
The tabs are function specific. If you want to view videos, you have to switch to the video tab. If you want to listen to music, you have to switch to the music tab. Depending on what mode you're in, the mediagate will filter the files accordingly (i.e. you will not see any mp3/wma files while in video mode).

Also, have you checked the volume on the device? It is controlled by the remote. Make sure your cables are plugged in all the way. Sounds obvious, but it's always good to double check things before requesting an RMA.
Old 08-31-2007, 12:28 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by dhassay
i tried calling and emailing ewaggle every day last week numerous times. even left several voice mails. nothing. this company is either on vacation or is out of business.
EWAGGLE SUCKS BIG BLACK DONKEY DICKS. DONT BUY FROM THEM.
Old 08-31-2007, 04:53 PM
9th Gear

MediaGate MG25P

Still having the same 'no sound' issue. I am running the composite video cable, it is plugged into the A/V outlet on the mediagate. When I tab to the audio tab, and press 'enter', there are no MP3 files.

Here are the setups:

Configuration:

Video Setup: HD Component OFF
TV Output NTSC C/S-video

Audio Out: Analog/DPCM

Other: TV Type 4:3 Letter Box
Language Setup English
JPeg File Preview ON
Play Resume ON
Repeat Mode ON
BGM ON
Firmware Version 1.4.9

Filename: .... movie name... .avi
Size .... number ... .kb
audio Quality MP3 at 128000 bps
Video Quality MPeg4 (DX50)

troubleshooting --- I have the sound on the maximum setting on the mediagate remote

--- I have the sound on the maximum setting on the TV

--- All Cables are snug.
Old 09-03-2007, 04:48 PM
9th Gear

If I can not get this unit to work and if ewaggle does not return e-mails so I can get an RMA-- It does not look like they are going to-- and therefore I WILL NEVER POST A GOOD FEED BACK ABOUT THIS COMPANY Sorry for the shout. But its just too bad they have to steal money from people, and they are all over e-bay.
Can someone give me a site that sells mediagates that I wont get ripped off.
Thanks
Mollracing
Old 09-05-2007, 12:04 AM
10th Gear

Ewaggle still blows

its been 11 days since a man named Wong signed for my return. 11 days and i dont have a refund or even a email. i wrote them numerous times and got nothing. my bank told me to come in for a dispute resolution. its 117.00$ bucks and i want it back. or at least send me back the stuff i returned so that i can spunk on it. this just really sucks.
besides that i have had the mediagate in my truck for a while and its working great. i still need to learn more about how the file structure or lack of works. i am amazed at the quality of the little 5.5" screen. i own a recording studio so after i finish mixing down a bands tunes i can transfer the files over to the mediagate and then play them in the truck for a reference. boston acoustics seperates in the front. boston acoustics 5 1/4" woofers in the back, and a pair of 6" mid bass in the back, with a 15" sounddstream sub for the lows. 2 mtx amps for the mids and highs and a hifonics saturn x in bridged mono on the sub.
Old 09-05-2007, 08:23 PM
9th Gear

Well I got my RMA# and sent unit back. We will see what happens now. After looking at the web site eWaggle the unit I recieved was not the mediagate MG-25P it is called the Portable MPEG Player. I wish that some one could tell me of a dependable unit for my truck mostly. Something tells me that I will not have good luck with eWaggle.
Thanks
Old 09-05-2007, 11:39 PM
Safety Car

Sorry to read you guys are having issues with eWaggle. Hopefully things get corrected soon. Good luck!
Old 09-08-2007, 07:45 PM
Pro

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts
Anyone have an issue with their mediagate/avox?

When i used to power it on the red light would come on, the HD would spin up and then turn off. I then could turn it on using the remote.

Now the redlight stays on, and I can't turn it on with a remote. I can however view the file system with the USB cable.....

Any ideas?
Old 09-09-2007, 10:48 PM
6th Gear

Originally Posted by BrandonClaps

When i used to power it on the red light would come on, the HD would spin up and then turn off. I then could turn it on using the remote.

Now the redlight stays on, and I can't turn it on with a remote. I can however view the file system with the USB cable.....

Any ideas?

Reformat the drive using FAT32, sounds like you have it set for NTFS possibly (Although I tested with both and it worked both times but I upgraded the firmware)

Whereas you can see the file structure using the USB cable I would assume that means the drive itself is ok. You also want to make sure to download the latest firmware. Go to http://www.vantecusa.com/download.html Select External HDD > AVX-100TX > English drivers 1.4.7 if you haven't done so already.

I have HEARD that the MG-25 and Avox use the same firmware but I cannot confirm. I can tell you that Vantec does NOT treat this product of theres with any respect and support is all but non-existant unless you have a general question that can be answered through their FAQ
Old 09-10-2007, 10:50 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by Madmikeee
Reformat the drive using FAT32, sounds like you have it set for NTFS possibly (Although I tested with both and it worked both times but I upgraded the firmware)

Whereas you can see the file structure using the USB cable I would assume that means the drive itself is ok. You also want to make sure to download the latest firmware. Go to http://www.vantecusa.com/download.html Select External HDD > AVX-100TX > English drivers 1.4.7 if you haven't done so already.

I have HEARD that the MG-25 and Avox use the same firmware but I cannot confirm. I can tell you that Vantec does NOT treat this product of theres with any respect and support is all but non-existant unless you have a general question that can be answered through their FAQ
When I remove the hard drive, and plug in the device and hook it up to my TV, nothing is displayed. This leads me to believe that it is the device itself and not the harddrive.
Old 09-10-2007, 04:56 PM
10th Gear

still have not received the refund from ewaggle.com. i am having my bank investigate them. i want my 117.00 back. luckily i have the signature from ups when they delivered it. this sucks.
Old 09-11-2007, 03:10 PM
9th Gear

I also sent my so called mg-25p back with no reply yet. And yes I did have someone sign for it. I am still waiting for some one to tell me of a good place to buy one at. Reason for going with the mg-25 is its size and will mostly use it in my truck.
thanks
Old 09-12-2007, 07:59 AM
6th Gear

When I remove the hard drive, and plug in the device and hook it up to my TV, nothing is displayed. This leads me to believe that it is the device itself and not the harddrive.

Try updating the firmware as mentioned in my last post. That might do the trick, If that does not work then definitely send it back.
Old 09-14-2007, 02:43 AM
Safety Car

This is normal.

Any ideas?
Are you connecting the video to the correct ports? Try tapping the video button on the remote a few times to see something displays. If that works, then you will need to adjust your video settings in the setup menu. This usually happens when you've configured the AVOX to display in HD on your home theater but SD in your car.

Yes, the AL Tech firmware works on the AVOX. I have done it plenty of times.

P.S. You can't update the firmware if nothing appears on screen.
Old 10-03-2007, 08:59 PM
9th Gear

Sent my unit back to ewaggle with no reply and no new mg-25 Sent it back on 8/30 no word so I disputed the amount on my credit card. I will never give them a good review. I will post negative post on their e-bay sells. I hope people will read this so they dont get burned as I did
SO PLEASE DO NOT BUY FROM EWAGGLE
racer77
Old 10-04-2007, 02:11 AM
Safety Car

Sorry to hear about that. Hopefully you can find another source (newegg carries the AVOX last I checked). Good luck!
Old 10-09-2007, 03:55 PM
9th Gear

Well I got a new mg-25 from pc4usa.com and everything works great so far. The firm ware that is on it is 1.4.7 and they have a new one out that is 1.5.0 Should I update the firmware or leave it at 1.4.7 Why fix it if it is not broke. But by not updating what am I missing?
Thanks racer77
Old 10-10-2007, 01:07 AM
Safety Car

There are some bug fixes with 1.50. If you click on the download link on the AL Tech downloads page, you get the details of each update.

Version 1.5.0 additions and modifications.
1. Repeat function added for audio. (Use repeat key on remote control.)
2. Changed color for currently playing MP3 file in MG-25.
3. MP4 File bug fixed.

Version 1.4.9 additions and modifications.
1. it can play the files in the sub folder when Random Play ( by using button 0 ) > Added
2. Play button don't work after FF/REW when using ENTER button to play > Fixed
3. unrepectable play when 2 ISO files play continuously. > Fixed
4. Display the version number on Setup Menu > Fixed

Version 1.4.8 additions and modifications.
1. mp3 file play error => fixed.
2. Ability to rewind/forward 10 seconds, 1 minute & 10 minutes while playing audio/video by pressing each of the 1, 2 & 3 keys respectively on the remote control
3. Ability to control the subtitle position (up 2 level, down 4 level)
4. Background music on/off during picture slide show => Added function on the set up menu.
5. Pause<->Playback with each Enter key on the remote control.
6. When you choose files, the color and current display color can be changed. (orange color)
7. The noise produced when files start and stop (while BGM function is ON) is removed.
As you can see, you are missing out on a lot if you stick with 1.4.7. Firmware update is really simple and you also have the ability to reflash to an older version if you don't like the current version.
Old 10-10-2007, 03:33 PM
9th Gear

Thanks for the update I will try it out. Is the cord white, red, yellow speical ? I tryed to use one from my i-pod with no luck.
Thanks racer77
Old 10-11-2007, 03:24 AM
Safety Car

The white, red, yellow cable is special in that it outputs both video (yellow) and audio (red and white) to RCAs. I have also noticed that this cable is not interchangable with a similar cable for my iRiver PMP-100. It is possible that the stereo connector end is different (black separation bands too close/far) for them to be compatible.

In either case, you can use the other blue, green, red cable as backup. I believe blue maps to yellow, red to red, and green to white. I've posted the mapping somewhere on here so you can double check. It's been a while.
Old 10-11-2007, 03:22 PM
Pro

received my unit back from vantec....new one works fine. Hopefully this one doesn't screw up too
Old 11-12-2007, 09:16 AM
Advanced

received my unit back from vantec....new one works fine. Hopefully this one doesn't screw up too
Brandon, what are you using to power your MG25?
Old 11-15-2007, 12:06 PM
Terminex

Here is what I used

Originally Posted by FSU-Acura
Brandon, what are you using to power your MG25?

I bought one of these for each car:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWN:IT&ih=014

These are what I bought to power them: (cut them up to wire them directly to the car without using a lighter)

Old 11-17-2007, 05:44 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by terminex
These are what I bought to power them: (cut them up to wire them directly to the car without using a lighter)

If you cut them up and wire them directly, doesn't that give you 12v to the unit? I thought it was only supposed to receive 5v.
Old 11-18-2007, 08:06 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by datmrman
Once you install Dom's video interface and an aftermarket audio interface, you pretty much can hook up anything that uses RCA connections.

The AV500 is a nifty little device and you can surely use that in place of the mediagate. It's a lot more $$ though. I haven't looked at the AV500 specs, but if it has video out and RCA connections, it shouldn't be a problem.
I would like to add the Archos 705 (wifi, 160gb hard drive, etc.). It comes with a IR remote, but I don't believe the unit has a port to extend the IR. I would like to put this device in my trunk, but I'm not sure how to do this and still be able to control it via the remote. Anyone know if I can buy (or make) my own IR extender. Ideally I would point the new eye at the device and be able to wire it into the front of my car. Any ideas??
Old 11-19-2007, 02:52 PM
Pro

Found something that may work...

FYI,
This can be used to extend the IR of any device that uses 40khz or 56khz IR range.

http://www.pac-audio.com/products/pr...ed%20Repeaters
Old 11-21-2007, 09:48 PM
7th Gear

You could also build something around this.

tk
Old 11-22-2007, 01:30 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by Henrycc
If you cut them up and wire them directly, doesn't that give you 12v to the unit? I thought it was only supposed to receive 5v.
5v 2amps
Old 12-11-2007, 11:42 AM
Cruisin'

hey datrman
i have this installed in my car but twhen i power on the hard drive the light is on but nothing it being displayed on my screen any helpp would be appreciaated.

thanks
Old 12-12-2007, 10:55 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by terminex
I bought one of these for each car:

Newb Here sorry if this has been covered:

What am I losing with this unit over the mg25? Anything? It is significantly cheaper. Are the interfaces the same? Just as good GUI? Same filetypes supported?

Thanks!!
Old 12-17-2007, 07:12 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by stgdsie
hey datrman
i have this installed in my car but twhen i power on the hard drive the light is on but nothing it being displayed on my screen any helpp would be appreciaated.

thanks
Does your unit work in you house? If so, then the car adapter that you have is not providing sufficient power to the unit. Make sure that the connectors are pushed in all the way (and connected to the correct plug) and that you hit the power button on the remote to power it up.
Old 03-17-2008, 02:57 PM
1st Gear

im new here sorry for bringing this back from the dead but i looked at all those websites from your original post and couldnt find the avox. any help would be appreciated.
Old 03-17-2008, 10:27 PM
Safety Car

Avox is really a rebranded AL Tech MG-25P. I just a quick search and found these:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...13002&Tpk=mg25

http://www.ewaggle.com/XIMETA_AL_MG_...g-25bk-xim.htm

I'm sure if you google for "Mediagate MG-25" you'll be able to find more. Good luck!

P.S. For flexibility, you want to look for the extra IR extension port which is only on the MG-25P model.
Old 03-18-2008, 11:15 PM
3G TL

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
amazing setup, amazing craftmanship, amazing write up. going to have to try this sometime soon!
Old 03-21-2008, 11:27 AM
Racer

Has anyone here seen this product as a competitor to the MG-25P? Check out the available accessories too:

http://www.tvix.co.kr/Eng/products/C2000U.aspx
Old 03-21-2008, 02:56 PM
Safety Car

@ityper: Thanks man.

@nyclio: There are many similar products out there and they should all work. The setup is pretty much the same: Dom + Audio Interface for RCA connection, power adapter, extended IR if necessary.
Old 03-22-2008, 08:03 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by datmrman
@ityper: Thanks man.

@nyclio: There are many similar products out there and they should all work. The setup is pretty much the same: Dom + Audio Interface for RCA connection, power adapter, extended IR if necessary.
i want to buy one but i am actually having a hard time finding one that is readily available for purchase. I need it to be small so it doesn't have to be bolted down since it needs to be removed to be updated. It would be nice to have one with wifi capability; but i don't know where to actually purchase it. I checked both links you posted above recently (newegg and ewaggle) but they don't seem to be in stock anywhere.
Old 03-26-2008, 10:24 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by nyclio
i want to buy one but i am actually having a hard time finding one that is readily available for purchase. I need it to be small so it doesn't have to be bolted down since it needs to be removed to be updated. It would be nice to have one with wifi capability; but i don't know where to actually purchase it. I checked both links you posted above recently (newegg and ewaggle) but they don't seem to be in stock anywhere.

bump - any answer to this??