My Secret Media Player REVEALED - Mediagate MG-25P

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2006, 01:17 PM
Trucki!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You will also need the valor ilink to display the video. It costs around $180ish. But with that because of coding problems you can't watch videos on the screen with the coding that the ipod supports. You can watch videos on the navi screen, but you can't watch them on the ipod. Sounds confusing, search for valor ilink to get more info.
Old 09-22-2006, 01:19 PM
Trucki!!

And also its September 22nd and the iriver car charger was supposed to get back in-stock today after 5 months of being out-of-stock. But guess what.........they said they have not be infrmed of an arrival date.
Old 09-22-2006, 02:22 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by datmrman
I think I would be more interested in an auto OFF for the media player. Once the player detects no power, it will safely turn off. That might be difficult though.
Doesn't the power source for your player just stop when the car is turned off (tied to the ignition), or does it stay on all the time (tied to the battery), unless you power it down?
Old 09-22-2006, 02:25 PM
Safety Car

Received 39 Likes on 15 Posts
It does, but not safely. Its like pulling the plug from a computer. Eventually that might lead to a corrupted hard drive.
Old 09-23-2006, 08:09 AM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by sunnyflava99
I apologize if this has already been mentioned, but can the video from an ipod be displayed on the nav screen with the use of dom's unit? With the current 80gb ipod going for $349, I might just bite and buy an ipod, something I promised I would never do.
Yes... and you don't NEED the Valor iLink as mentioned before. Without the Valor, ONLY the videos will play through the Nav screen. The navigatiion menus and MP3 screens will not be displayed on the Nav screen. The Valor allows you to navigate the Ipod via the Nav screen using a remote control.

All you need for just the video is the Ipod video cable...

This is the cable I'm using. It's cleaner as the you don't need a seperate video cable coming out of the top, and a charger coming out of the bottom. The video is sent through the bottom dongle.

http://www.xtrememac.com/audio/cables/roadshow.php

With an 80G Ipod full of MP3 using the Valor, you'll have the same problem we have with the mediagate... You have to use a remote control to navigate/browse the directory structure... With 10000+ files loaded, that becomes quite a hassle.
Old 09-25-2006, 10:17 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Kennedy
Yes... and you don't NEED the Valor iLink as mentioned before. Without the Valor, ONLY the videos will play through the Nav screen. The navigatiion menus and MP3 screens will not be displayed on the Nav screen. The Valor allows you to navigate the Ipod via the Nav screen using a remote control.

All you need for just the video is the Ipod video cable...

This is the cable I'm using. It's cleaner as the you don't need a seperate video cable coming out of the top, and a charger coming out of the bottom. The video is sent through the bottom dongle.

http://www.xtrememac.com/audio/cables/roadshow.php

With an 80G Ipod full of MP3 using the Valor, you'll have the same problem we have with the mediagate... You have to use a remote control to navigate/browse the directory structure... With 10000+ files loaded, that becomes quite a hassle.

I'm still on the fence as to which device best suits my needs. Media gate sounds great, but as you said navigating the directory could be bitch . I'm wondering how good the new search feature works on the 5.5g ipod.

Do I bite and get the new ipod, the Zune, or an Archos??? Thanks again... that cable looks like it would work perfect.
Old 09-25-2006, 10:50 AM
Trucki!!

I'm still on the fence as to which device best suits my needs. Media gate sounds great, but as you said navigating the directory could be bitch . I'm wondering how good the new search feature works on the 5.5g ipod.

Do I bite and get the new ipod, the Zune, or an Archos??? Thanks again... that cable looks like it would work perfect.
Navigating the menus, isn't really that bad on the media gate. I use it for my video only, so I've put videos in Sub folders (Comedy, Horror, etc.......) I don't see why you can't make folders like that for your music. I've always done that on my ipod. I make a new folder just about every week with what are my new favorite songs that week. I also have a folders for artists and such. I've never thought about filling an ipod to compacity and worrying about finding what I want, I mean I bought a Nano because I don't need 80gig of music at my finger tips. I mean i have close to 180gig of music, but I don't even listen to 5 gig of that. I dunno, I guess others may be different.......
Old 09-25-2006, 03:37 PM
10th Gear

It does, but not safely. Its like pulling the plug from a computer. Eventually that might lead to a corrupted hard drive.
Good point...I'll have to think about that one...In order for this to work, we'd need to "store" enough power so that we could detect the power loss from the source and do a "graceful" shutdown...

I took my HD-3510 apart this weekend (actually it's a Freecom Mediaplayer-3, but they are the same device), and discovered some interesting things...The front panel of the media player is actually functioning as a "hard-wired" remote control. It has a Holtek HT6222 integrated circuit on the circuit board that encodes all the button presses on the front of the device and "transmits" them to the main circuit board, just like the infrared receiver that is also on the front panel circuit board does.

So basically, both the remote control and front panel are using remote control signals to communicate with the same board. The On/Off button is wired to pins 1 and 14 on the HT6222, so I now need to develop a small device that uses a relay to "close" the connection over those two pins. You can trace the connections from the HT6222 to various "openings" on the circuit board that are basicly little holes on the board. My hope is to solder a relay the appropriate places on the circuit board and combine the relay with a "delay on" circuit that uses a 555 Timer chip.

This is the design I'm leaning towards right now (includes the relay):
Power On Delay Circuit

I'll probably use Circuit #2 in this diagram. With the relay connection to pins 1 and 14 of the HT6222.
Old 09-25-2006, 03:38 PM
Safety Car

See here: DVD Player vs. HD MultiMedia???
Old 10-08-2006, 12:40 AM
Thread Necromancer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I decided I wanted to put my PS2 in my car and still be able to use my Avox. I found this sweet little switch, it works great. I mounted it in the bottom pocket under the arm rest. I ran all the wires out the bottom and covered it with the stock rubber mat. It looks very clean, under my passenger seat is another story though. I got to fig out a way to tidy that up a bit. Enjoy!

Old 11-27-2006, 04:46 PM
Trucki!!

Well the car charger from iriver is still not availiable. They have also not updated the arrival.

Side note: Selfless promotion I am selling my Jukebox with HD for cheap in the B/S/T area..............
Old 11-28-2006, 02:20 AM
Safety Car

Since you decided to bump this thread, here are some updates:

New firmware release from both AL Tech and Vantec, version 1.4.7. I haven't had the chance to test them out yet, but the AL Tech version adds 'repeat' functionality while the Vantec version (seems to match the AL Tech version) adds 'resume', 'repeat', and jpeg fade in/out functionality over their previous respective versions.

AL Tech Firmware Download Page

Vantec Download Page
Select External HDD Enclosures > AVX-100TX > English firmware 1.4.7

Anyone still looking for IR extender, I read on AVSForum that this one works with the MG-35, which apparently shares a lot of the same hardware with the MG-25P. There are also instructions on how to make your own IR extender.

The link to the store above also carries a car adapter that looks like it will work with the MG-35. I didn't see any car adapters for the MG-25.

I'll keep this thread updated if I find anything new.

BTW, my drive has been working fine for me.
Old 11-28-2006, 12:52 PM
Pro

I have an update also. Due to using this unit in multiple locations I was looking for another A/V or component output cable for the unit. I tried one from radio shack that was intended for the A/V output of a video camera. I could get video out and audio on one of the sides but the other side just produced hum.

However I then found an apple ibook A/V cable at Fry's for $20 and it works perfectly to replace either the A/V or component cables. The mapping of the colors isn't the same as the A/V cable (red/yellow/white on the apple aren't that same color on the stock cable) so you just have to figure out the right connectors (just like if you use the component cable as an A/V or vice versa) but it works.

The only other downside is it is white.

Thought you guys should know.
Old 11-30-2006, 03:06 AM
Safety Car

As an update to the firmware post above, I have tested both firmware in my AVOX.

Other than the AVOX branding and splash screen, both firmware contain the same features.

I found a wiki for the Mediagate MG-35 that has the same instructions (as mentioned above) on how to build your own IR extender.
Old 12-01-2006, 01:27 PM
Intermediate

For the IR extender for the MG-25 go to EWaggle.com. I got everything there including a travel bag for everything. They have the MG-25P with the extra IR plug-in port. Check out the pics.

I'll post pictures of my install sometime. Note: The IR that I got is more circular and very small. I put it on the side of the steering wheel column near the steering wheel release. There is an indentation on the right side and doesn't hinder moving the steering wheel.
Old 12-01-2006, 02:49 PM
Safety Car

Thanks for the update.

I saw that carrying case the other night and thought to myself, "They make practically everything these days."
Old 01-11-2007, 12:53 AM
ഥഎണഡഏ Fellas Inc.

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
happy new year thread viewers! (i see it hasnt been written on since then )

just wanted to share my new background for 07 (or til I get bored again)

anyone else care to share?

Also, to change the background, place a file "mybg.jpg" with the dimension 720x480 directly under the drive directory. So for instance, if the drive letter was G, the file location would be G:\mybg.jpg. I know this is true for the AVOX Jukebox (25).
Old 01-11-2007, 01:05 AM
Safety Car

Nice!

I was referring to the ability to change the background of the AVOX.

Thanks for the heads up. I think I saw this somewhere (in the manual ) but totally forgot about it.
Old 01-13-2007, 09:47 AM
7th Gear

I just got an MG25. I think the comparison to a computer is a little off. When you shut Windows done by powering it off instead of shutting it down you're corrupting the OS, not the hard drive itself. The hard drive really just knows power on or power off. The reason Windows has problems is because it caches things in RAM instead of writing them directly to the hard drive. Unless the MG25 caches stuff I don't think it will suffer much from an ungraceful power down. I plan on wiring mine to switched power, so I'll find out pretty soon whether I'm right or not.

tk
Old 01-13-2007, 08:48 PM
ഥഎണഡഏ Fellas Inc.

i hope my archos adapter has messed up because my mediagate isnt turning on anymore in the car! gotta take it out and test with plain old wall adapter
Old 01-15-2007, 06:13 PM
Intermediate

What is the word on what is the best car power adapter?
Old 01-15-2007, 06:40 PM
Safety Car

The iRiver one has been working flawless for me, but its been discontinued so its difficult to find.
Old 01-16-2007, 04:56 AM
7th Gear

Originally Posted by cj1raven
What is the word on what is the best car power adapter?
I'm using the Sony branded PSP car adapter and it seems to be working fine for me.

tk
Old 01-27-2007, 07:57 PM
ഥഎണഡഏ Fellas Inc.

Exclamation HELP IN SJ or SJ Area!

are any of you guys in San Jose or SF area? I lost my wall ac adapter and I need to test my avox jukebox on TV since it isn't powering up in car anymore. Please PM me!

thx!
Old 01-28-2007, 12:59 PM
7th Gear

I know the Sony PSP car adapter works for the MG-25, the Sony PSP wall adapter might work for it too.

tk
Old 02-19-2007, 12:56 AM
ഥഎണഡഏ Fellas Inc.

Originally Posted by Malayalee King
are any of you guys in San Jose or SF area? I lost my wall ac adapter and I need to test my avox jukebox on TV since it isn't powering up in car anymore. Please PM me!

thx!

So I found my wall adapter and hooked it up to the TV but it does the same thing -- it powers on real quick then shuts off and doesnt turn back in.

The drive does show up when I hook it up to my computer though...WTF!!!
Old 02-19-2007, 01:01 AM
ഥഎണഡഏ Fellas Inc.

remote was messing up! i had to take the battery out a few times and put it back in! FTW!
Old 02-19-2007, 12:51 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Malayalee King
So I found my wall adapter and hooked it up to the TV but it does the same thing -- it powers on real quick then shuts off and doesnt turn back in.
I have noticed this issue when the Mediagate is not fully powered.

So was the dying remote battery the cause of your problem?
Old 02-20-2007, 12:32 AM
ഥഎണഡഏ Fellas Inc.

dont think so, i think something just wasnt contacting the way it was supposed to. at first i suspected the battery so i replaced it and still no dice. i just put it in differently this time and it works. weird lol
Old 02-20-2007, 01:40 AM
Safety Car

You put what in differently? Was the hard drive connector loose or something?
Old 02-21-2007, 12:47 AM
ഥഎണഡഏ Fellas Inc.

nope, i took the battery holder/slider out and pushed it back in and it started working again. the HD, which i suspected at first, worked fine with USB cable so that killed all suspicion.
Old 02-21-2007, 11:47 AM
Safety Car

^ Thats a sign of a dying battery. Time to get a replacement.
Old 02-23-2007, 02:53 PM
6th Gear

Hey all, I just registered so I could post a great big THANKS to all you folks for this thread regarding the AVOX. I have been SCOURING the web looking for more detailed info on this unit and this is the ONLY place that gave me all I needed and 100 more things that my wife is going to be pissed about me buying in the near future LOL.

I am not an acura owner but the madminivan with the minimikeee is going to be the sweetness with all this new stuff!!

THANKS AGAIN!!
Old 02-23-2007, 03:28 PM
Safety Car

Glad it helped you out. Thanks for the post.

Welcome to the forums... maybe we will influence you in getting a TL.

Please post pictures of your install. I want to see how it's setup in the minivan.
Old 02-23-2007, 11:06 PM
Intermediate

Holy kee-rap. I've just spent the better part of 2 hours reading this entire thread... I was going out for pre-lims before hitting the bars, but now I'll just have to find them all on cell phones.

It may be lost on you guys b/c you're all that focused on the end result, but the amount of research, sharing, trial/error that went into this is impressive. I, like datmrman and the rest of you, tend to research everything to the last detail before I make a move, but then trial/error sometimes has gotta happen.

Just in case you all haven't stepped back for a few mins to think about what was accomplished, this thread is hella impressive -- I've researched a ton of things but I haven't seen anything like this before. Maybe it kept my attention just b/c I have a TL. Wud love to do this, but it's a lease - intend to buy it out and sell it (been babying it since day 1) and use the upside as a deposit on the next - but after reading all this I'm tempted to buy it out, drive down to SoCal to find all the parts I need (north of the border makes it all that much harder) install it and keep the 05 TL!

If I do, I'll be lookin you guys up, drinks are on me! Seriously, that's an impressive thread, don't see it too often.

Cheers, Sean
Old 02-23-2007, 11:49 PM
Safety Car

Now that I look back (this month is 6 months old ), it was a great group effort. A lot of people contributed to the wealth of information in this thread. That is what makes this forum great and so addicting.

If you want to know, yes I am still using my Mediagate everyday and it still works great.

If you do decide to come down to SoCal, shoot me a PM. I don't mind helping with the install.
Old 02-24-2007, 01:54 PM
Intermediate

That is what makes this forum great and so addicting.
No doubt, I was only three hours late getting outta the house last night!

If you do decide to come down to SoCal, shoot me a PM. I don't mind helping with the install.
It may just happen this summer! I'll let you know, and thanks!

Cheers, Sean
Old 02-24-2007, 02:03 PM
East Coast Crew

Well, I didn't read all 18 pages but wouldn't a hard drive be subjected to a lot of shock due to road conditions.
Old 02-25-2007, 08:36 AM
6th Gear

FYI the PSP auto adapter works FLAWLESSLY for anyone wondering what to use for their car.
Old 02-25-2007, 08:38 AM
6th Gear

Glad it helped you out. Thanks for the post.

Welcome to the forums... maybe we will influence you in getting a TL.

Please post pictures of your install. I want to see how it's setup in the minivan.

Now that would be a nightmare LOL. I don't plan on doing a full install on the minivan right yet because the other components are all stock and to be honest the thing has 100k miles on it so we might get another two years out of it. My next vehicle will most likely be a Dodge Magnum (to replace my 127k+ Mile Saturn beater, ya I am seriously wanting that hemi ) When I get that I will be buying another jukebox and doing a proper install.

Quick Reply: My Secret Media Player REVEALED - Mediagate MG-25P