My Secret Media Player REVEALED - Mediagate MG-25P

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2007, 03:07 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here are some pics of where I installed my hookups for my MG-25. The switch is in the cupholder. It's very convenient to switch back and forth. One picture I don't have is for the remote IR reciever and where I placed that. I put it under the steering wheel on the right side. There is a depression on the column to the side of the wheel lock that moves the steering wheel up and down. Keeps it out of the way, but within eyesight of the remote in my hand.

[IMG][/IMG] [IMG][/IMG]
Old 07-05-2007, 03:12 PM
Intermediate

Here are some pics of where I installed my hookups for my MG-25. The switch is in the cupholder. It's very convenient to switch back and forth. One picture I don't have is for the remote IR reciever and where I placed that. I put it under the steering wheel on the right side. There is a depression on the column to the side of the wheel lock that moves the steering wheel up and down. Keeps it out of the way, but within eyesight of the remote in my hand.

Old 07-05-2007, 05:21 PM
Thread Necromancer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Looks nice. I mounted my remote eye in the top pocket with the pie x3 controller. With the door shut you can not tell I have anything installed.
Old 07-22-2007, 12:57 PM
Pro

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts
Has anyone tried this adapter??

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Pelic...oductDetail.do
Old 07-22-2007, 03:02 PM
Pro

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by BrandonClaps
well don't i just did... not enough amperage to power it up
Old 07-29-2007, 05:34 PM
5th Gear

PSP Adapter Woes

So I found this forum and Thread while searching for a Source for my A/V Upgrade for My Nav system in my bimmer.

I got all my parts in order...
Mediagate Mg-25
Dietz Multimedia video interface 1250
Mediagate Ir extender
And PSP car and home adapter bundle from Ebay....

Well I wish I would have read more than the first few pages of your thread
Because I bought the PSP power adapter because I thought it would be the most available...Well The Car one dosent work.it just spins the HD on and off on and off...
I thought I would give the home one a try and see if that would work as a backup and it barley seats and powers down with the slightest nudge...

I tried the wire method that dosent work on the Car one...I didnt even bother with the home adapter...

I'm pretty disappointed.

Could you please verify that this is the proper adapter and it will seat in the Player correctly and require no modification....
Iriver ICJ-100 Car adapter

Thanks alot...

Old 07-29-2007, 09:17 PM
10th Gear

wont power up

i plugged the avox in using the 110 volt ac adaptor that was supplied with the unit and the red led light comes on, then hard drive spins up, then the whole thing shuts off and will not come back on with the remote.

i read that the battery in the remote might be causing this so i will buy another cr2025 ( i think thats the one) and see if that solves the problem.

dose anyone here know about the "new" avox? here is a link to a review of the unit.

http://www.bjorn3d.com/read_pf.php?cID=1121
Old 07-29-2007, 10:06 PM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by dhassay
i plugged the avox in using the 110 volt ac adaptor that was supplied with the unit and the red led light comes on, then hard drive spins up, then the whole thing shuts off and will not come back on with the remote.

i read that the battery in the remote might be causing this so i will buy another cr2025 ( i think thats the one) and see if that solves the problem.

dose anyone here know about the "new" avox? here is a link to a review of the unit.

I had this happen with my Avox unit....It worked for like 2 hrs. then it just froze.
And wont turn back on....
I returned it and bought a mediagate Mg-25
its the same thing as the avox but the mediagate is manufactured by the creater of the technology...AirLink tech. "AL Tech"

Good luck with it.
Old 07-30-2007, 12:53 AM
Safety Car

Received 39 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Lexicon740il
Could you please verify that this is the proper adapter and it will seat in the Player correctly and require no modification....

Thanks alot...
From the website, the adapter looks exactly like the one I am using in my car. It has been performing very well. Just plug it in and it works. Unfortunately, iRiver discontinued making this adapter a while back.
Old 07-30-2007, 01:00 AM
Safety Car

This is the first time I've seen it. New glossy enclosure with an interface that reminds me of the Phillips DVD players. From a quick glance, it didn't seem to have an IR extension port. I didn't see any advantages of this "newer" model. Seeing the lack of firmware support Vantec provided for the original AVOX, I wouldn't recommend this model as of yet. The AL Tech firmware works with the AVOX, so I would still recommend the AVOX or the MG-25P.
Old 07-30-2007, 07:56 AM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
Lexicon... When the Mediagate is first plugged in (home or auto), it spins the HDD for about 2 seconds, then shuts down. When you hit the power button on the remote, it then spins up and comes to life. The "spinning the HDD then shutting down" behaviour sounds like the power being switched on/off. Plug it in, turn the car to "ON" (or start it), then use the remote and hit power and see it spins up.

I though I was having a problem too until I figured out:
1) see above
2) the above was complicated by a near dead remote battery... sometimes it would boot up, sometimes it won't. A new $2 battery fixed that. It's and IR remote so point it right at the face of the MG.

The PSP adapter works great, that's not the issue...

So I found this forum and Thread while searching for a Source for my A/V Upgrade for My Nav system in my bimmer.

I got all my parts in order...
Mediagate Mg-25
Dietz Multimedia video interface 1250
Mediagate Ir extender
And PSP car and home adapter bundle from Ebay....

Well I wish I would have read more than the first few pages of your thread
Because I bought the PSP power adapter because I thought it would be the most available...Well The Car one dosent work.it just spins the HD on and off on and off...
I thought I would give the home one a try and see if that would work as a backup and it barley seats and powers down with the slightest nudge...

I tried the wire method that dosent work on the Car one...I didnt even bother with the home adapter...

I'm pretty disappointed.

Thanks alot...

Old 07-30-2007, 05:51 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by datmrman
This is the first time I've seen it. New glossy enclosure with an interface that reminds me of the Phillips DVD players. From a quick glance, it didn't seem to have an IR extension port. I didn't see any advantages of this "newer" model. Seeing the lack of firmware support Vantec provided for the original AVOX, I wouldn't recommend this model as of yet. The AL Tech firmware works with the AVOX, so I would still recommend the AVOX or the MG-25P.

i called vantec today and asked about it. they said the avox has been discontinued completely and that the other one that I saw was only available in taiwon or some other far away country. i am bummed about mine not working. i went ahead and ordered a mediagate mg25p today. actually i ordered the mg25 from one company and then found out that the p model doesnt have the ext port for the ir. i cancelled that order and found the mg25p at another online store and ordered it along with an ir receiver for it. now i gotta get a 12v to 5v adaptor for the car. i think i will get the sony psp adaptor because i can easily cut off the cigarette end and just wire it directly to my 12v block and ground. i dont like cigarette things sticking out from my dash.
Old 07-30-2007, 07:44 PM
10th Gear

i called vantec today and asked about it. they said the avox has been discontinued completely and that the other one that I saw was only available in taiwon or some other far away country. i am bummed about mine not working. i went ahead and ordered a mediagate mg25p today. actually i ordered the mg25 from one company and then found out that the p model doesnt have the ext port for the ir. i cancelled that order and found the mg25p at another online store and ordered it along with an ir receiver for it. now i gotta get a 12v to 5v adaptor for the car. i think i will get the sony psp adaptor because i can easily cut off the cigarette end and just wire it directly to my 12v block and ground. i dont like cigarette things sticking out from my dash.

correction-- just to clarify it is the mg 25P that DOES have the ir port. its the mg 25 (without the P) that doesnt have the ir port.
Old 07-30-2007, 07:58 PM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

. i think i will get the sony psp adaptor because i can easily cut off the cigarette end and just wire it directly to my 12v block and ground. i dont like cigarette things sticking out from my dash.
Instead of cutting up the adaptor, I bought a set of female cigarrette plug adaptors from wal-mart (2.99), cut the end off that, spliced that wiring into a switched power source, then ran the cigarrette plug of the PSP to this new "hidden" female plug. I hid 4 of these under the dash, wiring in my ipod , PS2, Mediagate, and cellphone charger... all without using the OE cig plugs.

Old 07-30-2007, 09:27 PM
10th Gear

correction-- just to clarify it is the mg 25P that DOES have the ir port. its the mg 25 (without the P) that doesnt have the ir port.
Where did you order it from?
Old 07-30-2007, 09:32 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by WakBlak
Where did you order it from?

ewaggle.com
they had the mediagate mg 25P and the IR sensor extension.
Old 07-30-2007, 09:36 PM
10th Gear

good news

[QUOTE=dhassay]i plugged the avox in using the 110 volt ac adaptor that was supplied with the unit and the red led light comes on, then hard drive spins up, then the whole thing shuts off and will not come back on with the remote.

I went out and bought a new CD 2025 watch type battery and IT WORKS AGAIN.
it seems that when you power up the unit, the hard drive spins up and then shuts off. then you just hit the power button on the remote to turn on the unit. not sure why but at least everything is working. well i guess i didnt need to order another one today but what the hell i will have two. cant wait to get it hooked up to my 7" screen in the dash.
Old 07-30-2007, 11:12 PM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by Kennedy
Lexicon... When the Mediagate is first plugged in (home or auto), it spins the HDD for about 2 seconds, then shuts down. When you hit the power button on the remote, it then spins up and comes to life. The "spinning the HDD then shutting down" behaviour sounds like the power being switched on/off. Plug it in, turn the car to "ON" (or start it), then use the remote and hit power and see it spins up.

I though I was having a problem too until I figured out:
1) see above
2) the above was complicated by a near dead remote battery... sometimes it would boot up, sometimes it won't. A new $2 battery fixed that. It's and IR remote so point it right at the face of the MG.

The PSP adapter works great, that's not the issue...
I was looking at the Packaging on my Generic Car adapter and noticed it says 5V - 500mA

I believe the Pic of the geunine PSP Adapter I saw in the first few pages of this thread said 5V - 2000mA

Do you guys think this is the problem?
Old 07-30-2007, 11:28 PM
5th Gear

I just tryed it with the engine running...
It dosent work I hear the drive trying to spin up but it wont.
The unit has a red power light constant...

It must not be enough voltage to ge the drive to boot....

I suppose its the Generic adapter.
5V-500mA
that must be 5v-.5 Amps
The OEM sony one I posted above is 5V-2000mA
That must be the 5V-2 Amps I need....

I'm going to just order the Iriver one tommorow after I verify they are actually shipping me the OEM Iriver - ICJ100...
I noticed a little disclaimer under the Specs about .....this adapter may not be the same as the one sent blah blah...
Old 07-31-2007, 06:43 AM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Yes.... that is most certainly the problem. I assumed you were using the OEM PSP adapter. I snagged one on clearance at best buy for like $10.

I just tryed it with the engine running...
It dosent work I hear the drive trying to spin up but it wont.
The unit has a red power light constant...

It must not be enough voltage to ge the drive to boot....

I suppose its the Generic adapter.
5V-500mA
that must be 5v-.5 Amps
The OEM sony one I posted above is 5V-2000mA
That must be the 5V-2 Amps I need....

I'm going to just order the Iriver one tommorow after I verify they are actually shipping me the OEM Iriver - ICJ100...
I noticed a little disclaimer under the Specs about .....this adapter may not be the same as the one sent blah blah...
Old 07-31-2007, 11:25 AM
Intermediate

ewaggle.com
they had the mediagate mg 25P and the IR sensor extension.
That should be the one with the IR hole. I got mine from ewaggle and it has it. Also get the travel bag. It's very convenient to keep all the wires in for when you want to use it over someone's house. I keep the bag in my car.
Old 08-01-2007, 11:50 PM
10th Gear

has anyone had any troubles leaving the avox or mediagate in the car during the hot summer months? can you leave it in the car or do you have to take it out when its hot.
Old 08-02-2007, 02:41 AM
Safety Car

has anyone had any troubles leaving the avox or mediagate in the car during the hot summer months? can you leave it in the car or do you have to take it out when its hot.
Mine has been in the car since my install.. but I live in San Diego so that might not say much.
Old 08-08-2007, 09:14 AM
2nd Gear

Lightbulb Can someone help me ?

Dear all,
first of all sorry for my poor English.
I'm from Milan, Italy, and after a lot of work and alot of problems i have discovered this forum that i think is very good and useful.
I'm working (and playing) with different media player till one year and i have upgrade my car (mercedes ML 270 cdi w163) with an ebay command2 navigator, a Dietz IMU multimedia adapter, a BOA Dvd player and a DVB-T double tuner.
All is installed and is working very fine.
I had my first mediagate 35 last year broken cause the hard disk connector went out from his crimping and i decided to buy another one while trying to repair the first (out of warranty cause it was my fault). The connection of the hard disk cable of the new unit is better than the old one but at that time i had to solder to the mainboard a new 40pin connector and the unit was repaired.
The adventure starded from here, with the second unit available to be installed in the car. I had a lot of problem as many of us as the power 12/5 volts, the IR external and so on.
For the external-ir i have used the external ir equipped with the dvd player cause it was unused due to the Dietz IMU interface able to be connected to the Ir-ext port of the DVD and trasmit the IR-Signals from the Comand2 navigator keys.
Thanks to this board i understood to change the polarity of the photodiode when he didn't work (not standard at all).
For the power i have decided to use a 3A car power adapter stabilized at 12 volts connected to a minipc power board with 12 and 5 volts output.
The original mediagate power cable has been cutted to insert a normal pc device connector male and female to be able to use it both in the car or at home with his original power.
All was fine till a couple of weeks ago when i did a great mistake forcing the power connector in the wrong direction and blowing up the unit.
My first question is, did someone had the same problem here and able to repair the unit ? (u68 is burned and i don't how many other components).
Continuing.... waiting for someone able to help me to repair the unit i'm using the second mediagate 35 in the car and i think to insert an electronic protection to avoid the same problem in the future. What kind of component do you think i have to use ?
Again, i have two other issue:
1) The volume is normally lower for the unit coming from the multimedia in comparison with the radio of the Comand2. I have built a pre-amplifier with this kit http://www.velleman.be/fr/en/product/view/?id=8982. What do you think about ?
After the installation the volume is very good but it seems the dynamic of the bass is poor.
2) My dream is to be able to drive the mediagate 35 via the ir-external interface connected to the Dietz IMU interface actually used by the DVD.
Dietz told me that the software inside their interface is able to drive only their unit (naturally) and what i'm searching for is the way to convert the ir-singnal coming from the Dietz interface to the standard expected from the mediagate 35.
If you have ideas or suggestions they will be very appreciated.

A little contribution from my experience, considering the fact that the ir-externals are not using a single standard, don't use it before to control the polarity and don't plug/unplug the ir-ext connector while the unit is connected to the power also if is power off. In my experience with a Magnex mediaplayer inserting the ir-ext jack while the unit was connected to the power, a part of the mainboard went burned (not components burned so still funcional)
I will post some pictures with the detailed components asap.
Till now thanks to all, i hope in some ideas for my issues and sorry for the long post and questions.

Ciao !
Vincent
Old 08-09-2007, 03:30 AM
Safety Car

Welcome to the board vincent. I have the MG-35, but it is mainly used at home (never in the car).

The more portable MG-25P is what I use in the car and I have on many occasions plugged the power cable into the wrong port. Fortunately, nothing went wrong and the unit is still working.

A quick solution to prevent you from plugging in the wrong polarity is to use reconnect the original wire back and use a simple power inverter in the car. The mediagate plug will still work both at home and in the car.

As for the volume, have you tried playing with the mediagate's volume controls? It has its own personal volume settings that can be controlled via the provided remote.
Old 08-09-2007, 04:15 AM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by datmrman
Welcome to the board vincent. I have the MG-35, but it is mainly used at home (never in the car).

The more portable MG-25P is what I use in the car and I have on many occasions plugged the power cable into the wrong port. Fortunately, nothing went wrong and the unit is still working.

A quick solution to prevent you from plugging in the wrong polarity is to use reconnect the original wire back and use a simple power inverter in the car. The mediagate plug will still work both at home and in the car.

As for the volume, have you tried playing with the mediagate's volume controls? It has its own personal volume settings that can be controlled via the provided remote.

Hi Dartman,
thank you for your reply.
The mg-25p is the best solution for the car, but with two mg35 i decided to use one as mobile in the car.
The connector forced in the unit was not the one i have installed but the original who enter directly in the unit.
Also with a power inverver i should had probably did the same mistake cause i'm a poor guy......
What i mean is, considering the fact that i move frequently the unit, to insert a little protections such as some zener diode but i'm not so good to know which one.
Have you ideas about the ir interface to the Dietz adapter ?

ciao
Vincent
Old 08-09-2007, 12:49 PM
10th Gear

does anyone know what happened to ewaggle.com? i need to return something and they seem to be closed. they are not answering emails or calls. voice mail doesnt even say the company name. the online chat is offline. been trying all of this for three days. any ideas?
Old 08-09-2007, 06:23 PM
5th Gear

does anyone know what happened to ewaggle.com? i need to return something and they seem to be closed. they are not answering emails or calls. voice mail doesnt even say the company name. the online chat is offline. been trying all of this for three days. any ideas?
FWIW, I got an order from them about two weeks ago...
Old 08-10-2007, 02:39 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by vincentsemper
What i mean is, considering the fact that i move frequently the unit, to insert a little protections such as some zener diode but i'm not so good to know which one.
Have you ideas about the ir interface to the Dietz adapter ?
Sorry Vincent. I haven't the slightest idea.
Old 08-10-2007, 07:21 AM
B A N N E D

For mediagate MG-25P users I have a few questions:

1. Do you power off the unit manually or do you just turn off the car and cut off power to the unit? If you just cut off power to the unit while a file is playing, would it cause any problems to the unit or files? (The manual says not to power off while a file is playing)

2. When you start the car, does the mediagate turn on by itself as power is supplied to the unit or do you have to manually turn it on by pressing the remote?

3. Does mediagate have the resume play function for video (DVD, VOB, AVI, etc)? Does it start playing automatically as soon as the unit powers up?

Basically what I am looking for a system that automatically save and resume plays. In my 745Li, as soon as I start the car, the DVD system would start playing automatically from where it was stopped. Would the mediagate be able to do that? Or would I have to go through the remote everytime I start the car?
Old 08-10-2007, 09:04 PM
Safety Car

1. Manual. I have turned off the car without powering off the mediagate on several occasions without any consequences. You might risk corrupting the data on the hard drive if you do not properly shutoff the mediagate.

2. Manual turn on, though last I checked on the mediagate forums, they were talking about integrating a "auto turn on" feature in the next firmware release.

3. The more recent firmware support resume functionality for both video and audio. Upon powering up, you will get a prompt asking whether you want to resume the last played file, go to the folder that the last file was located, or go to the main screen. See this post for details.
Old 08-10-2007, 10:28 PM
4th Gear

hi from aus
sorry to jump in on your thread but im looking for some help with a new vantec avox
i cant find an answer anywhere else.
my avi\divx files play fine on a tv through av but with a video_ts folder i have no sound?
on the computer the avox shows all needed vobs in the folder, and plays. on the avox i only see 3 vobs, seems the ifo files dont show.
anyone have some info on why this may be

cheers
Quad
Old 08-11-2007, 03:46 AM
Safety Car

Hi. This depends on how you ripped the DVD onto the mediagate. To play a ripped DVD on the mediagate, I believe you need to press play on the VIDEO_TS.IFO file. I think its in the manual somewhere.
Old 08-11-2007, 04:56 AM
4th Gear

thnks big boss
mines not a mediagate, its a vantec avox (same thing)
the ifo shows on the puter in the video ts folder
but on the avox media player it only shows the 3 vob files
they play the pic, but no sound.
Old 08-12-2007, 09:49 AM
10th Gear

FWIW, I got an order from them about two weeks ago...
i tried calling and emailing ewaggle every day last week numerous times. even left several voice mails. nothing. this company is either on vacation or is out of business.
Old 08-12-2007, 01:58 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by philquad
thnks big boss
mines not a mediagate, its a vantec avox (same thing)
the ifo shows on the puter in the video ts folder
but on the avox media player it only shows the 3 vob files
they play the pic, but no sound.
I also have a Avox. Make sure you are using the latest firmware (either from Vantec or AL Tech; links are in this thread).

Also, what are you using the rip the DVD? It is possible that the rip is incomplete. Have you tested the rip on the computer? Does it work?
Old 08-13-2007, 01:19 AM
4th Gear

yea actually its a avi converted to dvd (vob) but the ifo ect are there with the 3 vobs and it plays on puter fine, but the ifo doesnt show on the avox only the vobs, hence picture no sound i spoze. the avox can only be fat32 right?
Old 08-13-2007, 03:49 AM
Safety Car

If the files are already avi, why don't you just copy it onto the device? It supports avi, mpg, and dvd rips. It will filter file types (by filename extension) that it cannot support.

I believe the avox/mediagate supports both fat32 and ntfs. I think this is somewhere in the manual. I'll have to check what format mine is using the next time I connect it.
Old 08-13-2007, 05:27 AM
4th Gear

i deleted the avi before buying the avox meh
but im a sticker, ill do the other partion in ntfs(just split lappy drive in 2 40\40)
just the reviews i read on it seemed it only supported video files in fat32.
its no biggy, im a quad so when in bed changing disks,remotes ect just aint a option.
and im so sic of out of sync conversions and divx cds this things my answer.
so far i luv it.
Old 08-30-2007, 04:13 PM
9th Gear

New to the site Have a question about the media gates. I bought mine from eWaggles But I can not get any sound from the movies i put on it Some are iso and some are avi Besides not working right all the items were not in the box. And guess what you cannot talk to any one let alone send them a e-mail. Could some one help me with this problem?
Thanks

Quick Reply: My Secret Media Player REVEALED - Mediagate MG-25P