My first high end install almost complete

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2011, 10:27 PM
takin care of Business in

Received 4,732 Likes on 4,064 Posts
Thank you Sir....

I was in CA recently.....was at LAX waiting for a shuttle to Ventura....and the other guy was waiting for a shuttle to Bakersfield....and I told him...."I hate cars?"

and he was looking at me like "WTF is your problem" LOL.....

But thanks for being very generous...If am done with my Philippines drill, I might be planning something around the Ventura area....
Old 11-08-2011, 10:31 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Originally Posted by swoosh
Thank you Sir....

I was in CA recently.....was at LAX waiting for a shuttle to Ventura....and the other guy was waiting for a shuttle to Bakersfield....and I told him...."I hate cars?"

and he was looking at me like "WTF is your problem" LOL.....

But thanks for being very generous...If am done with my Philippines drill, I might be planning something around the Ventura area....
I'm always up for a beach trip, any excuse to get out of Bako.

That's funny, that guy must've thought you were crazy lol. I did something similar at one of our Acurazine meets. I was talking to the wrong guy most of the day before realizing it. He was nice though and went along with it.
Old 11-08-2011, 11:30 PM
Team Owner

Some pictures until Sunday...

My beautiful Esotar 650 and 430 speakers.

All of my Dyns together:

How I received my 430s after the klippel testing spilled water in the box. Normally I might not care but for $1,600 I really wish they would have arrived without the water stains.

Old 11-08-2011, 11:47 PM

Old 11-09-2011, 09:34 AM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 20,007 Likes on 14,511 Posts
Wow...those things are works of art!
And those are the hands of a working man.

PS...I love Cali...swoosh may have to make room on the couch for me too.
Old 11-09-2011, 10:24 AM
Coolest A-zine Member

Received 172 Likes on 163 Posts
^ Pick me up on your way across the states
Old 11-09-2011, 01:40 PM
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Water with the box, looks like they sat in standing water, Be patient with your setup, I've had my current driver (PHASS) configuration in for 1.8months or so, and just recently discovered, That my system is now there, I mean it is there, PERIOD !!!! Hopefully it doesn't take you that long. With Matt's mods to the dsp6 its insane, I may have to try my set of esotar's too...............either that or sell them.

Old 11-09-2011, 02:47 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by xxx_busa
Water with the box, looks like they sat in standing water, Be patient with your setup, I've had my current driver (PHASS) configuration in for 1.8months or so, and just recently discovered, That my system is now there, I mean it is there, PERIOD !!!! Hopefully it doesn't take you that long. With Matt's mods to the dsp6 its insane, I may have to try my set of esotar's too...............either that or sell them.

Glad you liked those mods. I was told that water was spilled inside of the box... I try not to think about it. I really need to put some sort of enclosure on my mids but otherwise tuning is the only thing holding me back.
Old 11-09-2011, 02:57 PM
Coolest A-zine Member

What's this "matt's mod" you speak of?? And what's a dsp6
Old 11-09-2011, 04:52 PM
Racer

PM sent with details............

Originally Posted by Trunk Monkey
What's this "matt's mod" you speak of?? And what's a dsp6
Old 11-09-2011, 04:58 PM
Racer

My kick's that Jerry did have the glass bowl's behind them, He really likes the volume size, It should be a easy upgrade to the kicks for you. But the hard part is the cutting, or glass in a small enclosure.

Originally Posted by I hate cars
Glad you liked those mods. I was told that water was spilled inside of the box... I try not to think about it. I really need to put some sort of enclosure on my mids but otherwise tuning is the only thing holding me back.
Old 11-09-2011, 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by rockstar143
Wow...those things are works of art!
And those are the hands of a working man.

PS...I love Cali...swoosh may have to make room on the couch for me too.
hahaha.....all good bro....u take the couch imma take the carpet....am a "cuddler", thats why dont wanna share the couch LMAO....

Originally Posted by Trunk Monkey
^ Pick me up on your way across the states
J...that wull be fun....start driving from FL...pick me up from KS and then TM.....hahaha
Old 11-09-2011, 09:52 PM
Team Owner

My kick's that Jerry did have the glass bowl's behind them, He really likes the volume size, It should be a easy upgrade to the kicks for you. But the hard part is the cutting, or glass in a small enclosure.
Your Esotar pictures didn't show up on my work computer, I didn't even know they were there. I love the way they look.

I know those balls are supposed to be available at hobby stores but I can't find them anywhere. Not sure if I have the clearance from the floor to the back of the speaker either.

hahaha.....all good bro....u take the couch imma take the carpet....am a "cuddler", thats why dont wanna share the couch LMAO....

J...that wull be fun....start driving from FL...pick me up from KS and then TM.....hahaha
You guys can fight over the spare room. We can go from Bako to San Diego and hit Santa Barbara, LA, and Long Beach on the way. You guys would love the bar scene in SB and San Diego.
Old 11-09-2011, 09:58 PM

^^^ I have partied in both places before....SB is SICK....all high end shit....SD, the latinos are on fiyaaaahhhh.....

that does sound like a great plan IHC....the only problem is I am in Philippines and am traveling back n forth to KS...3 week in PPines and 1 week in KS and repeat for 6 odd months....and in the 1 week if I tell my girl am going with the guys to check out this dudes awesome car audio setup and couple CA bars....she is gonna put my balls in a slingshot and line drive em all the way to your couch LMAO....
Old 11-10-2011, 12:48 AM
Coolest A-zine Member

^ hahah
Old 11-10-2011, 08:16 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 69 Likes on 57 Posts
Originally Posted by I hate cars
I know those balls are supposed to be available at hobby stores but I can't find them anywhere. Not sure if I have the clearance from the floor to the back of the speaker either.
You would need to cut the metal out of the kick to fit the balls. I can mail you a pair if you like. I think they cost less than $5. I can also make you a trim ring and attach and duraglass the whole thing (and do the clay). When you get them, you would just have to attach them to the back of the kick. Oh, we can talk about making a grill for that mid also. Even if we can only fit grill cloth and no metal, it will still be way safer then they are now. Don't you want your little guys to be safe....I mean, they're just little....lol

Call me or PM me (here or DIYMA) and we can work out the details.
Old 11-10-2011, 09:23 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by niebur3
You would need to cut the metal out of the kick to fit the balls. I can mail you a pair if you like. I think they cost less than $5. I can also make you a trim ring and attach and duraglass the whole thing (and do the clay). When you get them, you would just have to attach them to the back of the kick. Oh, we can talk about making a grill for that mid also. Even if we can only fit grill cloth and no metal, it will still be way safer then they are now. Don't you want your little guys to be safe....I mean, they're just little....lol

Call me or PM me (here or DIYMA) and we can work out the details.
That sounds like a good idea. I'll call you in a few. It will be from my other number, I'm waiting on a new phone for the number you have currently.
Old 01-29-2012, 10:26 PM
Team Owner

Just a quick update and some pics. Crossover points have been all over the place but one thing is consistent, it sounds best with a very high mid to tweeter point.

I've really got the subs glued to the dash now even with the current 90hz/18db crossover point. All it took was a little cut in the 63-80hz area and it sounds like I have subs in the dash. The system has so much "energy" with the subs playing up that high I really like it.

The 650 midbasses really shine over the 162 more than I initially realized. I've run them with the subs off first with no highpass and then with a 50hz highpass and all 150w from the HD to them. I can honestly say this is the first 6.5" I've heard that you can listen to subless and sound good and not like a little speaker trying to make sub bass. There's so much to say about this midbass. It never muddies up in the midrange even when running a 50hz highpass. I can't make it sound bad. Just so much clean clear midbass it's hard to believe it's coming from a little 6.5".

I finally got grills put on the 430s in the kicks. Now I can have passengers in the car again lol. I almost forgot to take before pics, I had to throw it back together real quick to get a shot without the grill then I forgot to take after pictures but I did get some of the grills.

These are from Parts Express, cost was $1 each. They are 5-1/4" metal speaker grills and fit perfectly. I covered them with acoustically transparent (relatively) grill cloth from the same place. Velcro is used to hold them in place.

So here it is, I propped the panel up real quick to take a pic. I'll update with the grills installed tomorrow. I'm not sure if I like them yet. I may give them a couple weeks and if they still look weird I might have some custom grills made.

Before and after covering my $1 grills:

And some random IB pics. The car is filthy, it rained for about 5 minutes and all of the summer's dirt poured off the cover and onto the rear of the car:

Subs were a little dusty after being run for 6 months:

Old 01-29-2012, 10:30 PM

forget the install and get a car wash Matt
Old 01-29-2012, 10:41 PM
Team Owner

forget the install and get a car wash Matt
No kidding. The neighbors are going to start complaining soon. Now that I have grills, I can get it washed without worrying about my mids getting destroyed.
Old 01-30-2012, 09:12 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
^^^ LOL....

Buddy, dusty subs are the least of your worries! Sorry, I couldn't resist giving you a hard time.
Old 01-30-2012, 09:55 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Steven Bell
^^^ LOL....

Buddy, dusty subs are the least of your worries! Sorry, I couldn't resist giving you a hard time.
It's ok. I pulled up next to another TL today and got the most stuck up look. He did a once over of my car and looked away with a smirk. I guess I deserve it lol. That $700 car payment was a reminder to keep the car in good shape. It's perfect inside and out and mechanically but once I got the pink slip the car washes stopped.
Old 01-31-2012, 07:49 AM

You should have cranked up your 15's when he smirked...
PS, I'm assuming you didn't bolt to your back seat braces because it would interfere with the diameter of the 15?

What a set up. Amazing.
Old 02-17-2012, 05:04 PM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hey Matt, any pics of your 650 mounts (enclosure, deadening, etc.)?

Also, are you running your MD102's in the stock location? Angled or flush?

PS - still running on your MS8 or did you switch processors?
Old 02-17-2012, 06:26 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by rockstar143
You should have cranked up your 15's when he smirked...
PS, I'm assuming you didn't bolt to your back seat braces because it would interfere with the diameter of the 15?

What a set up. Amazing.
Thanks. That's pretty much it, no room to bolt to the braces with two subs. With one sub bolting to the braces is the way to go.

Originally Posted by exlex
Hey Matt, any pics of your 650 mounts (enclosure, deadening, etc.)?

Also, are you running your MD102's in the stock location? Angled or flush?

PS - still running on your MS8 or did you switch processors?

I need to take pictures. I'm ordering a set of Dyn CNC baffles from Jerry very soon. Right now they're on the same ones I've used for every other speaker that's been in the car.

I'm shipping one off hopefully tomorrow to Erin at DIYMA to be Klippel tested. I was supposed to ship several things off two weeks ago but I've had to work the past 14 days straight and 10-16hr days at that. My memory and energy are completely gone. Anyway, I'll take some pictures as I'm removing it from the car.

The 102s are still in the stock location. I experimented with other locations and angling them from the stock location but ended up with them in the stock position.

Still on the MS8. It makes some really nice music once in a while. It's taken a year to fully learn how to manipulate it and much of it is still luck. I'm still going to get a different processor.
Old 02-21-2012, 01:37 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 121 Likes on 111 Posts
so got lost on some of this but did you end up finding a center? just curious since I am not running one anymore and dont really miss it.. might if worry about 5.1 movies but music at least to my ears dont matter.. I am slightly going deaf anyway.. but I am curious to see if anything was found
Old 02-21-2012, 02:37 PM
Team Owner

I still have the 6.5" Massive Audio installed but it hasn't been used in a long time. I liked how the MS8 integrated it, the center was rock solid and the big difference was when you had it in the "front" position, center was still very good for both passengers at the same time.

Without it, center is nearly as good but only in one seat at a time. When you put it in "front", the image goes away.

The main reason I stopped using it was it brought the sound quality down. There was a large enough difference between the Dyns and Massive speakers that it really brought down the sound quality of the system.

If I were going to do a center I would go with a 162GT or 650 and 102 tweeter but that's out of my budget for now. The reason I went with the Massive is it's 6.5" and only 1.6" deep.

Without a processor like the MS8 I wouldn't waste my money on a center, definitely not worth it.
Old 02-22-2012, 11:05 AM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
nice
Old 07-28-2012, 09:28 PM
Team Owner

I thought this would be an appropriate time to bring this up since the system is almost done. Still no updated pics of the subs though. I replaced the carpet last weekend and made the wiring look so much nicer while the interior was out. The windshield was finally replaced a few weeks ago as well.

So the system consists of:
IB15 subs x2
Dyn MW182 10" midbass
Dyn Esotar 430 midrange in kicks made by Jerry (originally intended for the 142 midrange)
Dyn 102 tweeters that fit nicely in the stock dash holes.
A JL HD900/5 and HD600/4
A RF BLD in the glove box

The system is meant to be stealth and take up very little space and sound very good at any volume which I've accomplished. The best thing is hardly any space has been compromised. The spare and jack are still there. Full foot well room has been retained. 90% of the trunk space has been retained, and the weight gain isn't bad from the components themselves but the sound deadener added quite a bit, especially the Second Skin Luxury Liner that is under the carpet along with the Damplifier.

From another forum since I don't feel like doing each picture:

Here are some pictures of mine in various states of completion. For once I'm 95% done, just have to get the beauty panel put back on behind the subs and install the new trunk carpet and I'm finally done but here are some almost finished pictures... Oh, cut the wiring a little too short on the BLD so I can't put the glove box back in until I find the 20 minutes to rewire it. On the plus side I had to remove it anyway to try out the new baking soda and activated carbon cabin filter.

The 10s hidden by the factory door panel:

Seat in it's driving position, the floor mat goes over the amp to protect it from feet even though it would be nearly impossible to kick the amp. This is the 900/5. Other side looks identical with a 600/4.

Floor mat removed

Seat forward

I'll get better pictures of the 3-way when the lighting is better.

Last edited by I hate cars; 07-28-2012 at 09:38 PM.
Old 07-28-2012, 09:33 PM
Team Owner

I have GOT to get the new subwoofer pictures along with the beauty panel that hides them and the new grill cloth in the ski pass that looks 10x better. Oh, and a clean car lol.
102s in the dash don't stand out.

Finally got the cracked windshield replaced as well...

The one thing I don't have updated pictures of, the subs.

I've got higher quality grill cloth now that does not look purple in the sunlight.

Before removing the door hinge to open the hole up some more.

The "family" before I broke them up:

Oh, and the baking soda and activated carbon filter I installed since I had everything out to install the new carpet:

The following users liked this post:
rockstar143 (07-28-2012)
Old 07-28-2012, 10:27 PM

Wow Matt...what a great job you've done. Your car must sound absolutely incredible.
Old 07-29-2012, 04:21 AM
HE>i

Received 253 Likes on 221 Posts
^This
Old 07-29-2012, 08:47 PM

damn Matt...that really does look HIGH END....any chance a good HD video which will depict the real sound which you hear?
Old 10-16-2012, 09:17 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 121 Likes on 111 Posts
hey, question, did you run your own RCA cables or buy ones? I bought some RCA cables when I first started my audio project but the sub RCA seems to be cracked or broken... was on DIYMA and I was considering making my own but thought I would ask you since your setup looks pretty sound, pun not intended (I dont think so anyway)