MusicLink on 07 TL

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2006, 11:40 PM
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
MusicLink on 07 TL

Anyone using the "improved" music link on the 07 TL? Thinking of upgrading my 04 TL to an 07 TL-S (or, maybe, going to the darkside with the new G....really kinda want AWD).

How is MusicLink working for those who have it?

Thanks.

ME
Old 12-23-2006, 12:01 AM
2007 NBP TL-S

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I didn't know they upgraded the musiclink for the 07. The 07 does have the AUX in though for any external player.
Old 12-23-2006, 09:56 AM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by MikeElmendorf
Anyone using the "improved" music link on the 07 TL? Thinking of upgrading my 04 TL to an 07 TL-S (or, maybe, going to the darkside with the new G....really kinda want AWD).

Thanks.

ME
Unsure of the "improvement"... but if it works like the last one...
Bough it, installed it, fought with it, removed it, returned it...
Talk about a waste of a weekend.
Old 12-23-2006, 10:31 AM
Racer

I am told that they redesigned it and it now works better. Can anyone confirm this?
Old 12-23-2006, 11:50 AM
The DVD-A Script Guy

Received 184 Likes on 131 Posts
I'm starting the thing the iPod interface is a "Holy Grail". Now that the car has an aux in it really seems that that may be the best option. Get one of those Belkin adaptors that will let you use the docking connector for the iPod. It then in turn can let you plug a volume adjustable output into the aux in. This way you get a constant-volume (no accidental volume adjustments via the ipod wheel since you are using the docking connector) solution that charges the iPod. Plus there are no "play list" schemes or locking out of the iPod controls. There is no ripping the car apart either or finding the next iPod is not compatible. Or, what if you decide to get something non-iPod? There are adaptors that will change an iPod dock cable into a 1/8 jack (like this Item L, iPod dock adapter ) but nothing else will work in that fancy, expensive iPod interface in the car.

I have the Blitzsafe adaptor (with XM retentionm) and I'm starting to think all the "play list" schemes (as in the Acura MusicLink and USA Spec) and "will the steering wheel controls work" issues are more trouble than they are worth. With mine I just control everything via the iPod. It seems that all of the interfaces have some kind of issue that is NOT related to the iPod or the ability to direct wire a signal. It's usually some timing/protocol issue with the head unit.

Yeah it may be cool if all those features worked but seems to me simple might be better and much more flexible here.

My
Old 12-25-2006, 12:10 AM
Couldn't be happier!

Well I'll report on this one since I just picked up my 07 with the 'improved' MusicLink installed.

The ipod hooks up without any issue other than the fact that I cannot select individual songs, artists, albums, or playlists. It seems to only want to play in a shuffle-type mode that pulls from every song on my iPod. The sound quality is definately CD or better and all the steering wheel controls work fine.

Now if I could just figure out how to select artists, albums, or playlists!

Any suggestions would be much appreciated!
Old 12-25-2006, 08:41 AM
Racer

07WPD -

Where is the iPod located--in the glove box? Can you get it installed in the center console?
Old 12-25-2006, 12:38 PM
Couldn't be happier!

07WPD -

Where is the iPod located--in the glove box? Can you get it installed in the center console?
Yea, it's in the glove box. I asked them if they could put it in the center console but they said that "the cord provided only allows installation in the glove compartment." I guess it's too short to reach to the center console, or it's too involved to get it routed in there.

Ultimately, if they can figure out the interface issues, the glove box isn't a bad place for it simply because you don't (optimally) have to mess with the iPod at all once it's hooked up.
Old 12-26-2006, 07:40 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by 07WDP
Yea, it's in the glove box. I asked them if they could put it in the center console but they said that "the cord provided only allows installation in the glove compartment." I guess it's too short to reach to the center console, or it's too involved to get it routed in there.

Ultimately, if they can figure out the interface issues, the glove box isn't a bad place for it simply because you don't (optimally) have to mess with the iPod at all once it's hooked up.
Re glove box only: Absolutely not true! I had my dealer install mine in my '06 with the cable routed thru the center console, upper compartment (the one immediately below the radio). Plenty of cable/slack. In fact, the dealer tech was so impressed with himself (and my idea to do it!) that he said he planned to recommend to customers to install it this way on all his future installs.

Now, I wish I could say I'm as happy with the MusicLink itself (and it sounds like from the post earlier in this thread re the '07 "upgrade" that it's no better). Hate that I have to deal with those voice prompts to choose a Playlist, etc., so much so that I will be replacing it with the USASpec solution (already purchased and on-hand) as soon as I get a chance, and as soon as I get up the moxie to get in behind my radio to perform the replacement.
Old 12-26-2006, 09:36 AM
The DVD-A Script Guy

Received 184 Likes on 131 Posts
Originally Posted by drat19
Re glove box only: Absolutely not true! I had my dealer install mine in my '06 with the cable routed thru the center console, upper compartment (the one immediately below the radio). Plenty of cable/slack. In fact, the dealer tech was so impressed with himself (and my idea to do it!) that he said he planned to recommend to customers to install it this way on all his future installs.
Yeah, but I thought the Acura adaptor locked out the iPod's thumb wheel while connected. Even if so I guess it's way more convenient to have it anywhere else but the glove box.

Sounds to me like Acura "put a bullet" in any incentive for them to upgrade the Music Link now that the 07 has an aux-in. Seriously, all of the CDC-based adaptors are plagued with compatibility issues and there is nothing simper, cheaper, or that will sound any better than just plugging into an aux jack. Why would they continue to develop a complicated, brand-specific, adaptor that has to keep up with Apple's latest products? Who, with an aux-in jack, would actually get it? Only customers they can sucker into it as "covered by the cars warranty if installed at time of car purchase" or other folks who are confused or somehow have been brainwashed by the myriad of technology marketing myths out there. It may make sense for some 04-06 owners but for 07 and on I just don't se it.
Old 12-26-2006, 10:42 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Adobeman
Yeah, but I thought the Acura adaptor locked out the iPod's thumb wheel while connected. Even if so I guess it's way more convenient to have it anywhere else but the glove box.

Sounds to me like Acura "put a bullet" in any incentive for them to upgrade the Music Link now that the 07 has an aux-in. Seriously, all of the CDC-based adaptors are plagued with compatibility issues and there is nothing simper, cheaper, or that will sound any better than just plugging into an aux jack. Why would they continue to develop a complicated, brand-specific, adaptor that has to keep up with Apple's latest products? Who, with an aux-in jack, would actually get it? Only customers they can sucker into it as "covered by the cars warranty if installed at time of car purchase" or other folks who are confused or somehow have been brainwashed by the myriad of technology marketing myths out there. It may make sense for some 04-06 owners but for 07 and on I just don't se it.
True, MusicLink does lock out the iPod controls, so it's almost irrelevant where you put it.

As for your other comments re '07 MusicLink "upgrade" and aux-in: Couldn't agree with you more! If I'd known the '07 TL was going to have the aux-in jack I quite likely would have held off on my '06 TL purchase...in-car music is a huge deal to me. I had an aux-in on the '06 Chevy Impala that I traded in for my TL, and that particular feature was GREAT. Plug-n-play, and of course all iPod controls worked like a champ.
Old 12-27-2006, 05:44 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by 07WDP
Well I'll report on this one since I just picked up my 07 with the 'improved' MusicLink installed.

The ipod hooks up without any issue other than the fact that I cannot select individual songs, artists, albums, or playlists. It seems to only want to play in a shuffle-type mode that pulls from every song on my iPod. The sound quality is definately CD or better and all the steering wheel controls work fine.

Now if I could just figure out how to select artists, albums, or playlists!

Any suggestions would be much appreciated!
I thought the improved Music Link was coming out early next year.
Old 12-28-2006, 10:08 AM
Intermediate

MusicLink

Just curious, I have an '04 TL and I'd love to get a MusicLink if it worked even halfway well. My dealer told me in November that a new/improved MusicLink would be out in Jan '07 - and he had stopped installing the old MusicLink - and in fact, recommened against installing it even before that.

However, when I check the following Acura site it states that only the '06 is supported! It seems odd that they'd cut out '04 and '05 TL's when I thought that they were essentially the same as the '06 model.

http://musiclink.acura.com/Comp_Veh.html

Any thoughts?

Kevin
Old 12-28-2006, 12:22 PM
10th Gear

last thing i heard there was a problem between acura and apple and the musiclink was delayed. not sure if anything has changed.
im just using the aux input jack for now.
Old 01-01-2007, 09:16 AM
#include

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Some of the grumps here are legitimate. I haven't had my TL for long, so I'm still in the rookie stages. The music link however isn't quite as bad as some are playing it up to be, and it does have some serious positives as well.

The first is that you have steering wheel based feedback. It does allow you to hop between tracks. With Aux in, you have to open up your arm rest fumble your ipod out .

The second is that it charges your ipod. Maybe most of the folks here take short little road trips. I don't want my tunes to be dead when I get some where, and I sure don't want the battery to run out on the return trip.

Third is convenience. You don't have to shut it off by hand every time you exit the vehicle.
Old 01-01-2007, 12:44 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Nykor
Some of the grumps here are legitimate. I haven't had my TL for long, so I'm still in the rookie stages. The music link however isn't quite as bad as some are playing it up to be, and it does have some serious positives as well.

The first is that you have steering wheel based feedback. It does allow you to hop between tracks. With Aux in, you have to open up your arm rest fumble your ipod out .

The second is that it charges your ipod. Maybe most of the folks here take short little road trips. I don't want my tunes to be dead when I get some where, and I sure don't want the battery to run out on the return trip.

Third is convenience. You don't have to shut it off by hand every time you exit the vehicle.
As a fellow MusicLink user, I can confirm that all of your counterpoints about it are valid. Here are my counterpoints to your counterpoints, the reasons why I'm going to replace my MusicLink with USASPec:

1. I have thousands of songs on my iPod, and close to 100 playlists. However, I tend to favor some of my playlists over others; I suspect many have similar habits. In my case, the limitations of MusicLink reveal themselves clearly; it's a pain in the ass to have to go thru the voice prompts to find what I'm in the mood for. By contrast, if I had direct control of my iPod's thumbwheel, it would be easy pickin's.

2. An inexpensive cig adapter and cable solves the power/charging problem if using an aux-in.

3. Yep, you have to get in the habit of turning off the iPod when exiting the vehicle. True, from time to time I left mine on (when I had aux-in in my previous '06 Impala), but small issue that does not override the other benefits in comparison.

My opinions, YMMV...
Old 01-03-2007, 05:53 PM
Cruisin'

Thanks.

ME

Me too! I am interesting to upgrade my Music Link 1.3 TTS to a new "improved" version espeically, if you can use the Navi screen to see title, artist, playlist, etc.

I have 2004 with Music Link TTS upgraded to 1.3 but it has weaknesses but it can use controls from the steering colum. Sound great compared to a fm transmitter or casette jobby.
Old 02-02-2007, 07:26 PM
Racer

Anyone know if the improved Music Link will be released soon ?
Old 03-01-2007, 08:20 PM
CJK
1st Gear

Partially installed?

I got the MusicLink with my Type S. I have installed TTS on my v5.5 I-Pod at least 6 times -- each time it gets a little better, but it never seems to fully work. I only have one artist or album per alpha voice prompt. I can stop at "D" but there is only one artist/album there and "E" is my next choice. Anyone got a fix?
Old 03-03-2007, 03:46 PM
Instructor

I opted to have the music link installed for $500+ and really wonder why I did it. I bought the car (AS taupe 5sd auto typeS) on the 3rd of February. I loaded TTL and after a few days deleated it from my computer. I now have one long playlist and it's a pain. I do like the sound and the number of songs on the i--pod. I guess I need to do more to figure out how to make it work better than it does...