Making DVD-A on a Mac - the easy way

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2009, 09:39 AM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Making DVD-A on a Mac - the easy way

I was frustrated with reading how to create a DVD-A for my car. It seemed overly complicated. I will say that the threads were dated back in 2006. So, here is how I make a DVD-A for my car...

Tools needed:
Mac OS computer
DVD Burner
iTunes (not really required, but it makes life easy for looking at your collection)
"Burn" - available here: http://burn-osx.sourceforge.net/Pages/English/home.html

I want to think that Burn was compiled for the PC but someone would need to confirm this.

I downloaded the Burn software and installed it into apps.

1. Launch Burn
2. Launch iTunes
3. Drag and Drop the music you want on your DVD-A from your iTunes list to the Burn window
4. If Burn asks you where you want to keep your temporary files, just specify a folder.
5. Make the DVD!

Over simplified but accurate.

Notes:
- Burn will automatically convert the files to wav format. It stores those files in the temporary folder you specify.
- After burning a disc, empty your temporary folder to save some space.
- You will get around 4GB on the disc. I have been able to get around 100 songs but that varies based on song length.
- If your music is DRM protected by iTunes, sorry. Burn can't process them and will tell you.
- The application has crashed on me during the conversion from mp3 to wav when I send a lot of files.
- I have had one file not burn because of problems with the MP3 Properties.
- Works great with songs downloaded from Amazon. In fact they sound great in the car. I played a Mr. Scruff song and found out about the subwoofer.
Old 12-14-2009, 10:33 AM
TL = True Love

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by edison234
I was frustrated with reading how to create a DVD-A for my car. It seemed overly complicated. I will say that the threads were dated back in 2006. So, here is how I make a DVD-A for my car...

Tools needed:
Mac OS computer
DVD Burner
iTunes (not really required, but it makes life easy for looking at your collection)
"Burn" - available here: http://burn-osx.sourceforge.net/Pages/English/home.html

I want to think that Burn was compiled for the PC but someone would need to confirm this.

1. Launch Burn
2. Launch iTunes
3. Drag and Drop the music you want on your DVD-A from your iTunes list to the Burn window
4. If Burn asks you where you want to keep your temporary files, just specify a folder.
5. Make the DVD!

Notes:
- Burn will automatically convert the files to wav format. It stores those files in the temporary folder you specify.
- You will get around 4GB on the disc. I have been able to get around 100 songs but that varies based on song length.
- If your music is DRM protected by iTunes, sorry. Burn can't process them and will tell you.
- The application has crashed on me during the conversion from mp3 to wav when I send a lot of files.
- Works great with songs downloaded from Amazon. In fact they sound great in the car. I played a Mr. Scruff song and found out about the subwoofer.
very nice write up....im glad to see another user who has a mac

much praise to you for finding out a way to do this, i was too lazy to look for it on my own. Gonna try this when i get home from work

P.S. Macbook Pro Unibody FTMFW
Old 12-14-2009, 10:38 AM
now with four rings

Tools needed:
Mac OS computer
DVD Burner

1. Launch Burn
2. Launch iTunes
5. Make the DVD!

Notes:
per the bold item above, this is why i do NOT use the MP3 format for my dvd-a discs...FLAC FTW

and personally, i do not like my files being converted 'on-the-fly' and burned...i want more control over the quality, so i convert them separately before burning...but to each their own...

and fyi, my DVD-Audio PDF below goes over both Mac and PC DVD-A burning...also try Adobeman's program for converting if you're a PC user...
Old 12-14-2009, 10:40 AM
TL = True Love

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by rimz
per the bold item above, this is why i do NOT use the MP3 format for my dvd-a discs...FLAC FTW

and personally, i do not like my files being converted 'on-the-fly' and burned...i want more control over the quality, so i convert them separately before burning...but to each their own...

and fyi, my DVD-Audio PDF below goes over both Mac and PC DVD-A burning...also try Adobeman's program for converting if you're a PC user...
thanks for the input, gonna look at both options
Old 12-14-2009, 10:45 AM
10th Gear

Sure - FLAC to wav to your standards. Once the conversion is done, just drag and drop into the Burn window. It will recognize that they are .wavs and queue them up.
As for the failed file property - it was something in the meta data and the rip of the song was old. Could have been the ripper that did the CD to MP3 writing something incorrect.
Old 12-14-2009, 11:17 AM
"Advance"

Received 27 Likes on 11 Posts
MAC FOR THE WIN!!!

FYI: Another option is to install a MacMini in your gloveBox, like I did

Thanks for the input bro!
Old 12-14-2009, 11:26 AM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
A couple ?'s:

1. Is the purpose of this to just be able to fit a lot of songs onto one DVD?
2. Is the music quality up to par with original DVD-A's?
Old 12-14-2009, 11:38 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by princelybug
A couple ?'s:

1. Is the purpose of this to just be able to fit a lot of songs onto one DVD?
Yes. For the moment I have not added an iPod connection. Plus it is convenient to drop in 6 DVD-A discs, around 600 songs. Good for me at the moment.

2. Is the music quality up to par with original DVD-A's?
Since the original source is from my collection of MP3's then the quality is as good as those files. They are not like a 'true' DVD-A (like the sampler that came with the car). Since MP3's are two channel, the music will only be in two channels.

---
My goal was to build a play list for the car via iTunes then burn that to a DVD-A format. Kinda nice for the wife because she likes her crap music. Then I can just toss the disc out the window and tell her that I don't know what happened to her music.
Old 12-14-2009, 11:40 AM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Since the original source is from my collection of MP3's then the quality is as good as those files. They are not like a 'true' DVD-A (like the sampler that came with the car). Since MP3's are two channel, the music will only be in two channels.
Darn. But, since I do have an iPod, this is the reason why I haven't made any DVD-A's.

Originally Posted by edison
goal was to build a play list for the car via iTunes then burn that to a DVD-A format. Kinda nice for the wife because she likes her crap music. Then I can just toss the disc out the window and tell her that I don't know what happened to her music.
Old 12-14-2009, 11:43 AM
"Advance"

The sound quality is really improved with the DVD-As !!!
Old 12-14-2009, 11:49 AM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

^
How, if the music is originally from an MP3?
Old 12-14-2009, 01:16 PM
"Advance"

^
How, if the music is originally from an MP3?
I was wondering the same thing, and was very skeptical.

I did my first DVD-A disc back in 2007 with 100% MP3s. The results were amazing with the 5.1 surround. I was wondering if it was the quality of the Mp3s so I did a normal CD with the same songs in WAV format and the quality wasnt as good....so I guess there was a improvement applied by the software while the conversion was done before burning.

I used DVDa Solo @ that time....
Old 12-14-2009, 09:40 PM
Codename Duchess

Received 80 Likes on 57 Posts
nice! appreciate this!
Old 12-14-2009, 10:07 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
Originally Posted by VmtSquad
I was wondering the same thing, and was very skeptical.

I did my first DVD-A disc back in 2007 with 100% MP3s. The results were amazing with the 5.1 surround. I was wondering if it was the quality of the Mp3s so I did a normal CD with the same songs in WAV format and the quality wasnt as good....so I guess there was a improvement applied by the software while the conversion was done before burning.

I used DVDa Solo @ that time....

MP3's are "squashed" about 5.5 to 7.5 times the normal recording. The software has to do something good then in order for it to sound better than the WAV disc.
Old 12-15-2009, 08:53 AM
10th Gear

I want to make a note about adding more than 99 songs to a DVD-A.

The audio player will only display up to song number 99. If you have more than 99, the number stays the same. The only way I have found to access more than song number 99 is to listen to the songs. Kind of annoying and it is reminiscent of the 8-track days as a kid.

Recap - To get to song 104, you have to play track 99 and listen to songs 99, 100, 101, 102, & 103. You could probably fast forward.

Maybe I just need to get the audio hacks installed? Maybe that is something that could be put on the development list? Support for more than 99 songs on a DVD-A?
Old 12-15-2009, 09:06 AM
now with four rings

I want to make a note about adding more than 99 songs to a DVD-A.

The audio player will only display up to song number 99. If you have more than 99, the number stays the same. The only way I have found to access more than song number 99 is to listen to the songs. Kind of annoying and it is reminiscent of the 8-track days as a kid.

Recap - To get to song 104, you have to play track 99 and listen to songs 99, 100, 101, 102, & 103. You could probably fast forward.

Maybe I just need to get the audio hacks installed? Maybe that is something that could be put on the development list? Support for more than 99 songs on a DVD-A?
actually, you get 99 songs PER GROUP...and i think you get up to 9 groups per disc...not that you'll ever have 99 songs in 9 groups, but if you run past 99 songs on your disc, distribute them into different groups (rock, rap, etc.)
Old 12-15-2009, 09:48 AM
10th Gear

actually, you get 99 songs PER GROUP...and i think you get up to 9 groups per disc...not that you'll ever have 99 songs in 9 groups, but if you run past 99 songs on your disc, distribute them into different groups (rock, rap, etc.)
Thanks for that information. I could not find options in the Burn app to let you set groups. I guess that needs to be requested of the app developer
Old 12-15-2009, 01:07 PM
"Advance"

You got it all True ! didnt try the apps yet, maybe there's no way to create folders yet ....but I doubt that!

Last edited by VmtSquad; 12-15-2009 at 01:09 PM.
Old 12-15-2009, 10:16 PM
now with four rings

I could not find options in the Burn app to let you set groups. I guess that needs to be requested of the app developer
Originally Posted by VmtSquad
maybe there's no way to create folders yet ....but I doubt that!
um...you can create groups using DVD-Audiofile, which i mention in my DVD-A PDF in my signature (though the link is out-of-date i've been told)...and it's free!

Last edited by rimz; 12-15-2009 at 10:18 PM.
Old 12-16-2009, 10:06 AM
"Advance"

^^Nice job with the HOW-TO.

There should be a sticky with this procedure in the AUDIO section so that newbies aren't askin HOW TO create DVD-A lol
Old 12-16-2009, 08:37 PM
10th Gear

nice job man..
and Mac's rock...
Old 12-17-2009, 07:39 AM
Ryan's loving his ATLP TL

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have a problem. I did exactly like you said. And I have MAC OS X Leopard 10.5.6..

This is what I keep seeing:

Last edited by RJNN TL; 12-17-2009 at 07:41 AM. Reason: Picture didnt work.
Old 12-17-2009, 08:51 AM
now with four rings

that error is based on what's running on your computer, the hardware you have, etc. ...it has nothing to do with following the steps correctly.

are you running other programs while burning your DVD-A disc? it could be one of your songs has a hiccup in it...or if you can, try burning your disc at a slower speed (maybe 4x or 8x)...

if all else fails, try DVD-Audiofile and see if you get the same thing...
Old 12-17-2009, 09:01 AM

that error is based on what's running on your computer, the hardware you have, etc. ...it has nothing to do with following the steps correctly.

are you running other programs while burning your DVD-A disc? it could be one of your songs has a hiccup in it...or if you can, try burning your disc at a slower speed (maybe 4x or 8x)...

if all else fails, try DVD-Audiofile and see if you get the same thing...
Yeah I ran the program with nothing else open and it did the same. And I tried to burn it at 2X. No luck. I'll try DVD-Audiofile and get back to you. Thanks for the prompt reply.
Old 12-17-2009, 10:22 AM

Yeah it's still not working..
Old 12-17-2009, 02:09 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by RJNN TL
I have a problem. I did exactly like you said. And I have MAC OS X Leopard 10.5.6..

This is what I keep seeing:

I occasionally had this application crash as well. Did this occur when you would drag & drop the music from iTunes?
If so, try reducing the number of songs.
Old 12-17-2009, 07:01 PM
now with four rings

yeah try burning a different set of songs and let us know your results...or, try replacing your dvda-author file...
Old 01-28-2010, 01:56 AM
Instructor

I'm trying to convert now using BeLight. I keep on getting a message BeSweet.exe doesnt seem to exist in BeLight folder. What is that? Anyone.
Old 01-28-2010, 08:48 AM
now with four rings

Originally Posted by vovka2007@yahoo.com
I'm trying to convert now using BeLight. I keep on getting a message BeSweet.exe doesnt seem to exist in BeLight folder. What is that? Anyone.
BeLight is the GUI for BeSweet....without BeLight, you'd be running a command-line program (BeSweet)....and without BeSweet, your GUI app (BeLight) doesn't have anything to run off of....so you need both because they work together...
Old 02-02-2010, 08:35 PM
Spinnin them beats

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
btw, do you get text info with DVD-A?

Thanks
Old 02-02-2010, 08:44 PM
now with four rings

Originally Posted by Acuraluvr
btw, do you get text info with DVD-A?

Thanks
Nope.
Old 02-02-2010, 08:50 PM
Spinnin them beats

and it quits as it convert to WAV for some reason... ugh i had high hopes too.
Old 02-02-2010, 11:03 PM
now with four rings

and it quits as it convert to WAV for some reason... ugh i had high hopes too.
man, you really need to look through my DVD-A PDF in my sig...i encourage you NOT to use WAV, but FLAC instead...there's too many variables that cause WAV files to mess up...
Old 02-03-2010, 03:02 AM
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i still can't get this to work. i'm on PC, though.
Old 02-03-2010, 07:20 AM
Spinnin them beats

man, you really need to look through my DVD-A PDF in my sig...i encourage you NOT to use WAV, but FLAC instead...there's too many variables that cause WAV files to mess up...
Theres an option to do that? it defaults to convert my mp3s to WAV. I should convert the mp3s to flac, then let the program convert it to WAV?
Old 02-03-2010, 08:44 AM
now with four rings

Theres an option to do that? it defaults to convert my mp3s to WAV. I should convert the mp3s to flac, then let the program convert it to WAV?
can you explain the process you're doing to convert your mp3 files? what defaults to convert your mp3s to wav?
Old 02-03-2010, 08:45 AM
now with four rings

Originally Posted by 218TL
i still can't get this to work. i'm on PC, though.
even after reading through my guide? where does it start to not work for you? converting? burning?
Old 02-03-2010, 10:18 AM
Spinnin them beats

can you explain the process you're doing to convert your mp3 files? what defaults to convert your mp3s to wav?
Well its the BURN program listed that tries to do it automatically. ima try to convert to wav through another program and then use it for Burn.
Old 02-03-2010, 10:35 AM
Spinnin them beats

alright, converted it to wav through itunes. now burn is burning my dvd-a. cant wait to hear it.