iSimple HD radio tuner

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2011, 09:52 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
iSimple HD radio tuner

not sure if this has been talked about but ive tried searching "hd radio" "hd tuner" "hd radio tuner" and no luck...

has anyone installed this on their car? preferrably an '07 tl type-s? was wondering how to go about the install process... i already have the iSimple PXAMG and PGHHD2C harness installed.

thanks in advance
Old 04-17-2011, 10:52 PM
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Search "HDRT" and some threads should pop up. I'm not sure where you mounted your PXAMG but the HDRT would connect to one of the aux inputs on it and you would have to take the antenna connection from the head unit and plug it into the HDRT. You would lose the radio from the head unit unless you use a splitter. I recently bought my iSimple from ebay seller elektech and they could probably give you more info.
Old 04-17-2011, 11:15 PM
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
I got your PM but I thought I would reply in your thread so that others can chime on in.

First, I assume that your PXAMG is in the right rear quarter panel next to your Sat radio receiver. It's real simple to install the tuner more or less next to the PXAMG it just takes a single DIN cable between the tuner and the gateway.

The only thing that is a little bit involved is running the antenna lead to the tuner. The antenna cable is both the antenna lead and a power wire to power the active antenna in your rear window. There is a connector at the antenna amplifier in the left "C" pillar and one in the front center console; just to the right of the front console power outlet.

I used the connector in the front console; it's the gray connector on the right side of the picture.

From this connector you just have to run an extension cable that takes the signal to the HD tuner. You can use this connector adapter to connect from the factory harness to a standard antenna cable with Motorola connectors:

http://www.amazon.com/Metra-40-HD10-.../dp/B000K4YOCG

and the adapter connects to this extension cable:

http://www.amazon.com/Metra-44-EC204...3098262&sr=8-5

That's the short version if you don't want to keep your HU tuner? If you do want to keep the HU tuner, you are going to need to split the signal and run one half to the HU and one to the HD tuner.

This splitter will work:

http://www.amazon.com/METRA-40-UV44-...3098650&sr=8-1

and you will need another connector adapter to connect back to the factory harness; that's why there are two connectors in my picture.

This will set you up with a split signal going to both the HU and the HD tuner. Only one potential problem left to address; do you have sufficient signal strength? The rear window antennas are not all that great to begin with and if you have split the signal you loose half the signal strength (3dB) so you may need to add a RF signal amplifier to get acceptable signal strength. That is what the silver box attached to the climate control duct is in my picture. I used a Wingard amp:

http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp...na%20Traps&sku=

Depending on which components you get you may need to make some connector adapters but I'm sure you will be able to figure that out. I routed the cable out the back of the console and tied it to the SRS (yellow taped split loom) cable bundle. This goes up under the rear seat bottom and from there you can route the antenna cable up along to edge of the rear seat and up to the "C" panel. From there there is already a cutout stuffed with foam that leads into the trunk. From there you can route the antenna lead to your HD tuner.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Good luck.
The following users liked this post:
meisner (09-25-2011)
Old 04-24-2011, 06:18 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
@RBeachTL thank you so much for the reply man. i am going to try to do this next time i have time... really appreciate it.
Old 09-25-2011, 12:41 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exactly the details I needed to do the same on my '08 type S. Thanks!
Old 01-01-2012, 02:10 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My question is...was it worth the trouble? Is hd radio that good? I've got the exact setup and just trying to decide whether or not to do this. Thanks
Old 01-01-2012, 05:29 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by BOMDC5
My question is...was it worth the trouble? Is hd radio that good? I've got the exact setup and just trying to decide whether or not to do this. Thanks
Probably not but I think a better answer to your question is: It depends. In the LA area the radio stations are pretty poor so I'm mostly listening to my iPod or the news. HD radio is digital so the sound quality can be a little bit better then straight FM; in LA the difference isn't worth it, you will have to decide if it's worth it for your radio stations.
Old 05-05-2012, 11:34 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Great thread. I am adding hd to my 07RDX and I want to keep reg radio on HU, did you connect the blue power wire on the antenna adapter? I wasn't sure it would be necessary when retaining the factory HU.
How is it now that more stations are broadcasting in HD?
Old 05-05-2012, 05:54 PM
under renovations....

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts
HD doesn't only give you a better sound due to the digital signal it also gives you those extra station in between the normal ones in your area. Some stations have multiple stations. I have them on my iphone with the tuner radio app
Old 05-06-2012, 01:11 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by maceio4
Great thread. I am adding hd to my 07RDX and I want to keep reg radio on HU, did you connect the blue power wire on the antenna adapter? I wasn't sure it would be necessary when retaining the factory HU.
How is it now that more stations are broadcasting in HD?
Yes; the blue wire carries power to the antenna amplifier.