iSimple or Double Din?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2019, 04:44 AM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
iSimple or Double Din?

Hello there.

I've been a member here since 2007 and I had a 06 TL before then returned it at the end of lease (white Auto non-navi)
then I always wanted a manual transmission 4g TL with SH-AWD white but the only one I found in my town was sold when I arrived at the dealer(used car) today
so I ended up with their 3G 05 TL with manual trans non-navi after a test drive. Back to 3G TL but manual this time!

Anyways, I would like to ask some questions.
I tried researching over 2 hours using google to search this forum but I couldn't really find the exact answers.
Hope I could get answers from the professionals here.

1. Should I get iSimple or aftermarket Double Din? Will getting a double din ruin the sound quality? I want DD for backup camera and car play though (google map, etc)
But if you think I should stick to iSimple due to some double dins having lower quality sound than the Acura TL HU, then please let me know.
if iSimple, is it the ISHD651 that I need to get? I use USB for music most of the time and bluetooth.

2. I want to upgrade all the speakers and subwoofer for louder sound and louder bass.
If I go with the iSimple to keep the HU, then I will just need to add 1 multi or 2 amps while keeping the stock amp for centre and rear units,
and then connect those amps to front and sub. I will probably just do a drop-in replacement sub.
-Could you recommend me the best value and quality speakers? I don't care about brand names as long as they are reliable and good.
I listen to game/movie sound tracks, pops, rock, jazz, dubstep, etc.
-I also forgot the name of the best drop-in replacement sub for TL, could you recommend?
-Could you let me know what kind of tools I need altogether? I will be very likely to bring this to a professional to install so I want to give the mechanic all the necessary tools.

3. Could you recommend me some of the great value with good sound quality double dins that support steering wheel controls, backup camera, etc?
I saw some double din products come with backup camera as well on Amazon though and saw mixed reviews.

4. If there is anything I need to know, please let me know.

Thank you for your time and help!
Old 09-22-2019, 07:40 AM
06 Antracite/Ebony 6MT

I installed the jSimple about five or six years ago. When I first installed it, it was perfect. Charged my fine, played music through the wire and over Bluetooth. Almost no problems.

About two two or three years ago, the Bluetooth stopped working. It will connect and play for half a song before it starts acting wonky. I don’t use that function anymore and it really bums me out because I was able to hop it and play my music or podcasts without having to plug in. Not sure why it quit working. Different phone or update to Bluetooth on the phone.

Cant speak to music quality. I had zero complaints but I’m not an audiophile either.
The following users liked this post:
jegan (09-22-2019)
Old 09-23-2019, 10:35 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 594 Likes on 457 Posts
It is pretty difficult to integrate a double din into the TL. Really more for aesthetic reasons than sonic. The stock HU is a good one, but many current ones are equally as good with more flexibility for different sources. I choose to maintain the stock HU and use the isimple only for connectivity to digital sources.

This was my adventure
https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-a...-fever-854353/
The following users liked this post:
jegan (09-24-2019)
Old 09-24-2019, 05:30 PM
Intermediate

Thank you so much.

I actually saw some of your comments on various posts while doing a research.

After reading your post and comment,
now I'm more leaning toward doing this.
It seems like the Acura TL HU is really good but the amp and the speakers are the issues.

Therefore I would like to ask you questions about my ideas. Could you please give me your thoughts?

The audio part :
-Swapping the amp to Phantom Audio Signature 07-08 TL upgraded amp with twitters.
-Drop-in Replacement subwoofer and drop-in replacement front and rear speakers. (Could you recommend me the best drop-in speakers and sub?)
I listen to all kinds but mostly listen to sound tracks(game, movie), pops, metal, easy listening, orchestral music

Back Up Camera part :
-Swapping the climate display unit to 07-08 Navi Unit (just won't install navi system. only for display and backup camera screen)
-Swapping the trunk license plate lid to 07-08 one w/ back up camera

Do you think that back up camera project is possible? I've been researching but I couldn't really find answers.

Please let me know if you know.

Thank you so much.
Old 09-24-2019, 05:35 PM
Intermediate

05TL non-navi screen and trunk to 07 navi screen+trunk w/backup camera possible?

Hello there,
I have a question about swapping display screens.
I have a 05 TL non-navi with manual trans.

Back Up Camera part :

-Swapping the climate display unit to 07-08 Navi Unit (just won't install nor use navi system. only for display and backup camera screen)

-Swapping the trunk license plate lid to 07-08 one w/ back up camera

-Can I also mirror my iPhone / Android to be displayed on the navi screen if the swap is possible?

I've been researching but I couldn't really find answers.

Please let me know if you know.

Thank you so much.

Old 09-24-2019, 05:50 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,705 Likes on 6,714 Posts
welcome

https://www.google.com/search?q=non+...hrome&ie=UTF-8

if you search on google with your question but add site:acurazine.com to the end, you'll find a lot of threads regarding this and any other post. Navi to non-navi conversions have been done in the past successfully
Old 09-24-2019, 05:52 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,705 Likes on 6,714 Posts
Merged your questions/threads..