Sound System Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2016, 12:36 AM
Chapter Leader (San Antonio)

Received 433 Likes on 319 Posts
Sound System Upgrade

I have never done a sound system upgrade in anything (by myself).

I've did my best in trying to research certain components through AZ and some 'audiophile' forums, so I've tried searching. I've done TV sound systems, but paid people to do all the wiring and such, so bare with me.

These are the items I've searched for: (Please let me know if they're incompatible or there is a better product for cheap)

Infinity Kappa 10.11t 3/4" soft dome tweeters at Crutchfield.com
Polk Audio db5251 5-1/4" component speaker system at Crutchfield.com
Kicker 40CS654 6-1/2" 2-way car speakers at Crutchfield.com
Alpine SWA-10S4 BassLine Series 10" 4-ohm subwoofer at Crutchfield.com

I haven't driven the TL for a long time and I've just started to bring it back to life (repainted, new bumpers, 105k maintenance, new headlights etc...) I drove the vehicle for a short time and found how underwhelming the sound was compared to the G I was driving in the meantime or the CTS. The Bose system in the G was pretty nice and had a lot more bass than the TL. I want something similar without breaking the bank. I honestly don't want a powered(?) subwoofer since I need the room in the trunk unless there is something comparable in price (+ enclosure) at similar price-range.

I plan on purchasing most of these items on Amazon-- linked crutchfield cause that is one the sites that helped me choose the parts.

Any recommendations/suggestions are much appreciated.

Thanks
Old 01-05-2016, 01:43 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,158 Likes on 909 Posts
are you trying to replace all the speakers or just the front components (door and tweeters)? i would highly highly recommend the image dynamics ctx65cs for your front components. they are an amazing deal at under 200 and have been compared to 300-500 dollar sets. i had a jbl set i put in and just recently switched them to the image dynamics from a cyber monday deal and should have gone that route from the beginning.

you don't need to upgrade the rear, it's just fill and oem does fine.

what amp are you looking at and which location in the car? i chose a class D amp so that it could fit under the driver's seat.

for subs i chose the infinity 1062w sub since it's a dual voice coil and gave me more wiring options (i run it at 2 ohms). i'm happy with it since i only paid $60 shipped but might have gone with an image dynamics if i could do it over.

i did this all as my first audio project over and it was the hardest DIY i've ever done (and i've done lots of things to my car) and it's still not perfect (hiss/static that no one can solve). the acura tl is finicky with audio so be prepared for some challenges, but you'll get there. i'm been meaning to put up my install thread but haven't got around to it. i soldered all my pre stock amp connections for the components (i'm playing with line drivers right now to get rid of hiss) and ran my sub off a LOC post-stock amp which still retains sub control (critical for my setup).

good luck

Last edited by sockr1; 01-05-2016 at 01:45 AM.
Old 01-05-2016, 04:08 AM
Chapter Leader (San Antonio)

Received 433 Likes on 319 Posts
I'd probably pay someone to do it all since I don't have time like I used to anymore.

I was planning on upgrading them all since I thought that is what a lot of people did. Wouldn't the 'worse' sound from the rear muffle the good sound from the front if I changed only the front?

I don't know, but my stock system has been underwhelming lately. Maybe all I need is just a sub, but some of the speakers can't even handle the stock sub anymore.

Thanks for the suggestions. What other image dynamic sub? Is it this?
Robot Check Robot Check
-- does that include a woofer?
Old 01-05-2016, 02:18 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,158 Likes on 909 Posts
from when i was researching, most did not replace the rear because it is just fill. unless you're a hardcore audiophile with a processor i wouldn't touch the rear.

the link you put down is the the image dynamics component set that i mentioned (no sub, only door and tweeters). buy from woofers.etc since they are an authorized retailer of image dynamics.

looking at prices for an ID sub, i would not get it haha way too expensive. most sub-100 subs will do just fine, make sure you get the right box for it.