iPod/MP3 adapter to display titles on navi screen (DYI ideas)

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2006, 06:33 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
iPod/MP3 adapter to display titles on navi screen (DYI ideas)

Does anyone know what protocol navi uses to communicate to XM Receiver? On the poor schematic I can see 2 wires, so it should be of serial nature, like i2c or similar.

It is technically possible to make an adapter that will display titles on navi screen. All you need is make your mp player look like XM receiver. Any volunteers?

I wish I had time for this.

/AngryDad
Old 10-05-2006, 01:46 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You'd need really specific information about how the serial data is structured for the TL's head unit input...it could either turn out really easy or very difficult depending on how similar they are in terms of info. I believe this sort of info is available for the Ipod, but I haven't seen anything on it for the Panasonic(?) head unit in the TL. It'd make a good summer project for an ee major like me

...but I'm just getting the non-navi TL and doing my own touchscreen-to-carPC install. Much easier/cheaper for me than buying/fabricating an interface of some sort for every device I want to put info on the screen (sat, Ipod, DVD, games), then dealing with the TL's factory equipment/outputs.

I think doing a full-blown DVD audio system as a factory standard on a car, and not giving it mp3 capability and interoperability with other consumer devices is very short-sighted. For example, in as much as the no-doubt exclusive contract with XM serves Acura, it pisses guys like me off that the car doesn't have a pain-free way to do Sirius. As impressed as I am with the bluetooth and dvd audio capabilities of the car, the fact the thing can't read an mp3 cd, nor interface with various mp3 portables is, to me, asinine for a system manufactured for 2004 and later, especially considering the cost of the unit. That goes for all manufacturers of such, not just Acura/Honda.

I realize I probably represent only a small portion of the consumer populace, but I feel these "integrated" solutions are more of a pain than they are a plus. Gimme a TL out of the factory with nothing but a din-sized hole in the dash and some well-placed speaker cutouts, and I'd be buying it in a heartbeat.
Old 10-05-2006, 02:27 PM
2004 SSM/EB/5AT/Navi/RSB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It should be pretty simple to sniff that serial bus to see what's flowing through it, but I don't have the tools to do it. I doubt there is any unusual encoding taking place, so text strings would probably be pretty easy to detect.