iPad mini install **pics**

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2013, 09:25 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,120 Likes on 893 Posts
^ I'm not worry about the clock; besides my oem radio is dead, so I am just going to go aftermarket.

I thought the HVAC display is the same as the display assy information center???
Old 08-26-2013, 09:29 AM
Race Director

Received 1,544 Likes on 1,197 Posts
The nav sub-display (that goes in clock area) is controlled by some part of the nav system.

So AFAIK it won't work.
Old 08-26-2013, 10:56 AM
Safety Car

Hmmm if thats true then I see why others custom their info display.
Old 08-26-2013, 11:13 AM
Race Director

^Exactly. If it worked like that, I would be mounting my Nexus in the radio area like Anil did.
The following users liked this post:
EvilVirus (08-26-2013)
Old 08-26-2013, 10:10 PM
Instructor

Received 76 Likes on 46 Posts
Did nobody read this:

I called Martin (the guy on eBay who makes the custom harnesses for non-nav to nav swaps). He said in order to get the sub display working you need to install the nav display and the DVD player in the trunk as it communicates with the sub display (so basically everything needed for the non-nav to nav swap). The non-nav clock has 4 wires going to it (connector can hold up to 5 wires) while the Nav sub display has 9 wires going to it (the connector can hold up to 10 wires). The nav display has another connector that is completely missing from the non-nav display (around 10-12 wires in this connector).

If anyone has tried this please chime in.

I don't see why the DVD player in the trunk would be needed to get the sub display working other than that the wires go to it first before going to the sub display, if this is the case (I haven't traced them yet). The HVAC buttons are the same in Nav & non-nav, the radio (with tape deck/cd player) have different part numbers but Martin said there is no difference between the two.

I may try to wire up the nav display directly to the sub display to see if I can get it working. The DVD player in the trunk would be needed to have the correct time on the clock along with the GPS unit (nav cars use the GPS to determine time while non-nav can be set with the 3 buttons in the clock). But you could just pull your negative battery cable at 1 o'clock and it would reset the time on the sub display to 1 o'clock.

The nav cars have two radio codes (one for the tape deck and one for the touch screen). If you only type in the code for the tape deck the sub display still works and the radio works fine (this leads me to believe that the sub display can be used without the DVD player in the trunk if wired directly to the nav display).

I will try some other things this week/weekend (my roommate just bought an 04 MT with Nav, so I can play with his car).
*still need to do this
Old 08-26-2013, 10:14 PM
Instructor

Here is a teaser pic.

The bezel is getting wrapped right now in matte black vinyl, I will have this installed very soon. Start the speculation of what the two holes in the faceplate are for.
Old 08-27-2013, 08:36 AM
Safety Car

^ Front usb and aux connection?

on what you find in your theory about the non navi/navi sub display.
Old 08-27-2013, 08:41 AM
Race Director

Good work on both fronts!

If that's true about the sub display that totally changes the game.
Old 08-27-2013, 12:39 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Skier4lyfe303
Did nobody read this:

I called Martin (the guy on eBay who makes the custom harnesses for non-nav to nav swaps). He said in order to get the sub display working you need to install the nav display and the DVD player in the trunk as it communicates with the sub display (so basically everything needed for the non-nav to nav swap). The non-nav clock has 4 wires going to it (connector can hold up to 5 wires) while the Nav sub display has 9 wires going to it (the connector can hold up to 10 wires). The nav display has another connector that is completely missing from the non-nav display (around 10-12 wires in this connector).

If anyone has tried this please chime in.

I don't see why the DVD player in the trunk would be needed to get the sub display working other than that the wires go to it first before going to the sub display, if this is the case (I haven't traced them yet). The HVAC buttons are the same in Nav & non-nav, the radio (with tape deck/cd player) have different part numbers but Martin said there is no difference between the two.

I may try to wire up the nav display directly to the sub display to see if I can get it working. The DVD player in the trunk would be needed to have the correct time on the clock along with the GPS unit (nav cars use the GPS to determine time while non-nav can be set with the 3 buttons in the clock). But you could just pull your negative battery cable at 1 o'clock and it would reset the time on the sub display to 1 o'clock.

The nav cars have two radio codes (one for the tape deck and one for the touch screen). If you only type in the code for the tape deck the sub display still works and the radio works fine (this leads me to believe that the sub display can be used without the DVD player in the trunk if wired directly to the nav display).

I will try some other things this week/weekend (my roommate just bought an 04 MT with Nav, so I can play with his car).
*still need to do this
So you are saying that you need the DVD player to JUST get the clock and GPS function to work, but wouldnt that mean that if one connects everything else then the sub display should still work?
Old 08-27-2013, 12:52 PM
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
nothing good here all HACK Jobs, Looks Like the TJ Bondo ruined another car
Old 08-27-2013, 12:58 PM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 19,915 Likes on 14,457 Posts
In for the outcome of that last bezel.
Old 08-27-2013, 01:29 PM
Race Director

Originally Posted by xxx_busa
nothing good here all HACK Jobs, Looks Like the TJ Bondo ruined another car
What the hell? I hope that's sarcasm...
Old 08-27-2013, 03:47 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by EvilVirus
^ Front usb and aux connection?

on what you find in your theory about the non navi/navi sub display.
First off, I will be using the USAspec iPod adapter with the extended 30pin to lightning adapter to connect to the iPad along with a aux cable (headphone jack) connected to the iPad to play Pandora, Youtube, ect. (basically anything that isn't the stock Apple music app).

Yes the right hole is for an aux port. The left is a switch to change the aux input from the iPad to the aux port on the faceplate (because the USAspec only has 1 aux input). I don't see a way to put a usb that connects to the iPad and still be connected to the USAspec, you would need a reverse 30 pin splitter connected to the end of the lightning adapter (one side would connect to the USAspec via 30 pin and the other would connect to a 30pin to usb cable). This is the same issue with the aux port. If you try to use a splitter in reverse to have two inputs (the iPad aux and the external aux on the faceplate) you will have feedback interference and other issues. That's why I have a switch to change which input the USAspec is receiving.

So you are saying that you need the DVD player to JUST get the clock and GPS function to work, but wouldnt that mean that if one connects everything else then the sub display should still work?
Yes to get the clock working correctly you will need the DVD player and GPS unit as the clock is set based off of GPS which connects directly to the DVD player.

As Martin mentioned the only way to get everything working correctly is to install the whole set up.

I am trying to bypass the DVD player (if the wiring goes to that before it goes to the sub display, I still need to trace the wires) to get the sub display working. I don't see the need for the DVD player as it controls the nav functions which wont be used as the iPad will be installed while the lower tape deck controls the radio (xm, fm/am, cd, tape). I will post an update on more info this week/weekend when I do some more research/trial & error.
Old 08-27-2013, 04:00 PM
takin care of Business in

Received 4,732 Likes on 4,064 Posts
Great update buddy....

I think I got lucky with the sub display from Jerry since that is definitely out of my skill league.....

I was going to get the nav display but didnt place the order....

anyway, eager to see what you have planned
Old 08-28-2013, 09:17 PM
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by maharajamd
Seeing XXX's past installs and the pics on this thread, I am thinking he is not. So far all A's for efforts but nothing is giving me wood, yet. I've got an idea how to hopefully intergrate a mini in a TL dash. Have all the parts except the OEM Navi screen trim. Also not sure with my skill set if I can make it happen. But I will give it a whirl.

Again, cudos to those that have tried. And thank you for the ideas. Eventually one of us will come up with a way.
Old 08-29-2013, 08:34 AM
Race Director

Received 3,824 Likes on 2,847 Posts
In for results too
Old 08-29-2013, 09:48 AM
Codename Duchess

Received 80 Likes on 57 Posts
Wish the minis were out when I did my install. Would have made things A LOT easier.
Old 08-29-2013, 03:59 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by maharajamd

He is old so it has to be
Old 08-31-2013, 02:41 PM
Instructor

Quick update:
I unplugged the DVD player from a Nav car and the subdisplay still receives powers and the radio still works (can listen to music and change station/mode). But the radio info is not shown, only the climate control info (AC, vent) and the clock is also shown. Once you plug in two of the 4 connectors (the 5th is for GPS) to the DVD player the radio info is shown again. I will be tracing these wires to see if I can bypass the DVD player.
Old 08-31-2013, 04:55 PM
Race Director

Good job man!
Old 08-31-2013, 07:01 PM
Safety Car

So you can use a Navi sub display on a non navi. All you lose is the radio info and the GPS, correct?
Old 08-31-2013, 09:31 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 214 Likes on 152 Posts
Did you know that plastic bezel has a color code?

I noticed you guys are hacking them up a bit more than what it takes for the N7 install and sanding them.

If you want to try to get an OEM color match you could try to get some paint that is:

NH525L Gun Metallic

In order to try to color match it.

You could then use something like this:

Amazon.com: Preval Preval Spray Gun: Home Improvement Amazon.com: Preval Preval Spray Gun: Home Improvement

To spray the paint that was mixed, definitely use a flex agent first since you're spraying plastic if you want that stuff to adhere, something like bulldog.

An automotive paint shop might be able to match that color for you given then above color code.

Just thought I'd put it out there, since wrapping it is going to make it mis-match with the radio face, AC vents, cup-holder, etc.. and it sort of sticks out and doesn't look as good.

Also just fyi, if you have any deep scratch lines it'll show right through vinyl.

Last edited by mzilvar; 08-31-2013 at 09:39 PM.
Old 09-03-2013, 01:33 PM
Instructor

So you can use a Navi sub display on a non navi. All you lose is the radio info and the GPS, correct?
Yes and no. To get the sub display working (to show AC info) you would still need a nav display and a custom wire harness connecting the nav display to the subdisplay.

Originally Posted by mzilvar
Did you know that plastic bezel has a color code?

I noticed you guys are hacking them up a bit more than what it takes for the N7 install and sanding them.

If you want to try to get an OEM color match you could try to get some paint that is:

NH525L Gun Metallic

In order to try to color match it.

You could then use something like this:

Amazon.com: Preval Preval Spray Gun: Home Improvement

To spray the paint that was mixed, definitely use a flex agent first since you're spraying plastic if you want that stuff to adhere, something like bulldog.

An automotive paint shop might be able to match that color for you given then above color code.

Just thought I'd put it out there, since wrapping it is going to make it mis-match with the radio face, AC vents, cup-holder, etc.. and it sort of sticks out and doesn't look as good.

Also just fyi, if you have any deep scratch lines it'll show right through vinyl.
Great info! I was planning on getting everything wrapped: the AC vents, iPad bezel, radio face and sides by the shift knob (I have the OEM Carbon fiber kit that covers the seat heater switches and cupholders, so those wouldn't need to get wrapped). Now I will probably just paint the bezel as that sounds easier.
Old 09-03-2013, 01:56 PM
Race Director

Damn!

Anyone actually have the wiring diagram for the nav/HVAC/non-nav HVAC?
Old 09-16-2013, 02:23 AM
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
posr more pics
Old 09-16-2013, 12:34 PM
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
so for the bezel, did u cut it, sand it and paint it so that the camera and home button show?
Really want to try this, but I don't have much experience with stuff like this.
hopefully you can post more pics with explanations!
Old 09-16-2013, 04:46 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Killarudy
posr more pics
Here are some pics showing the iPad mini unit installed to the tape deck. I made it so the iPad can easily be connected to a computer via a 30pin to USB cable. All that needs to be done is take out the upper vent/clock/subdisplay (which can easily be done with a butter knife). The bezel is plasti-dipped for temporary use.

Originally Posted by Captain_Ayesh
so for the bezel, did u cut it, sand it and paint it so that the camera and home button show?
Really want to try this, but I don't have much experience with stuff like this.
hopefully you can post more pics with explanations!
The bezel was cut to show the full iPad screen, then the lower portion was sanded (to remove the lip, this is optional), the sides were sanded to match the flow going towards the screen. The home button and camera were drilled out. Bondo or some type of material is needed to fill in the gaps (between the iPad screen and the bezel) as the iPad does not sit flush against the bezel. I used flexible Bondo for bumpers.
Old 09-16-2013, 10:29 PM
5th Gear

wow good work
Old 09-16-2013, 10:34 PM
takin care of Business in

Received 4,732 Likes on 4,064 Posts
great work brother....

what are those 2 little holes for in the bottom?
Old 09-17-2013, 02:12 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 214 Likes on 152 Posts
Looks good, plasti dip looks like it matches pretty good from the photo.
Old 09-17-2013, 10:14 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by swoosh
great work brother....

what are those 2 little holes for in the bottom?

Originally Posted by Skier4lyfe303
First off, I will be using the USAspec iPod adapter with the extended 30pin to lightning adapter to connect to the iPad along with a aux cable (headphone jack) connected to the iPad to play Pandora, Youtube, ect. (basically anything that isn't the stock Apple music app).

Yes the right hole is for an aux port. The left is a switch to change the aux input from the iPad to the aux port on the faceplate (because the USAspec only has 1 aux input). I don't see a way to put a usb that connects to the iPad and still be connected to the USAspec, you would need a reverse 30 pin splitter connected to the end of the lightning adapter (one side would connect to the USAspec via 30 pin and the other would connect to a 30pin to usb cable). This is the same issue with the aux port. If you try to use a splitter in reverse to have two inputs (the iPad aux and the external aux on the faceplate) you will have feedback interference and other issues. That's why I have a switch to change which input the USAspec is receiving.

Yes to get the clock working correctly you will need the DVD player and GPS unit as the clock is set based off of GPS which connects directly to the DVD player.

As Martin mentioned the only way to get everything working correctly is to install the whole set up.

I am trying to bypass the DVD player (if the wiring goes to that before it goes to the sub display, I still need to trace the wires) to get the sub display working. I don't see the need for the DVD player as it controls the nav functions which wont be used as the iPad will be installed while the lower tape deck controls the radio (xm, fm/am, cd, tape). I will post an update on more info this week/weekend when I do some more research/trial & error.

Originally Posted by mzilvar
Looks good, plasti dip looks like it matches pretty good from the photo.
The black is quite a bit darker than the stock radio face, the picture makes the two colors appear similar compared to viewing in person.
Old 10-11-2013, 01:54 AM
10th Gear

so, its not as simple as just installing the iSimple and then plugging in the ipad to the iSimple with a 30 pin adapter?
ofcourse you've got to adjust some things to make everything fit. but is that it?
could this be done in a day or two?
Old 10-11-2013, 03:46 PM
Safety Car

Depends buddy

If everything goes as plan and you stay indoors for the next 24-48 hrs.........then yes
Old 10-15-2013, 01:34 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Captain_Ayesh
so, its not as simple as just installing the iSimple and then plugging in the ipad to the iSimple with a 30 pin adapter?
ofcourse you've got to adjust some things to make everything fit. but is that it?
could this be done in a day or two?
This project took me over 20 hours, so yes you could technically complete it in a day or two but it would consume most of both days. Read page 3 of this thread, that will give you a better idea of what needs to be done.
Old 10-15-2013, 02:29 PM
Safety Car

Well I am taking a different route on this but still need to collect more info. I will post a thread once I get started but first I got 2 projects ahead of that
Old 10-27-2013, 01:43 PM
Instructor

I had pint of metallic paint mixed up to match the OEM. It is VERY VERY close. Just a hair 'greyer'. I am going to take it back and have it darkened. If anyone wants me to spray a piece for them let me know. I did buy a small can air sprayer to do this with. I have enough paint left for several pieces. I have just under $100 in the paint and sprayer. Whatever anyone thinks is fair to cover the paint cost is fine by me.

Pics attached.
Attached Thumbnails iPad mini install **pics**-alpine.jpg   iPad mini install **pics**-alpine-2.jpg  
Old 11-10-2013, 07:21 PM
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Kirk3272
I had pint of metallic paint mixed up to match the OEM. It is VERY VERY close. Just a hair 'greyer'. I am going to take it back and have it darkened. If anyone wants me to spray a piece for them let me know. I did buy a small can air sprayer to do this with. I have enough paint left for several pieces. I have just under $100 in the paint and sprayer. Whatever anyone thinks is fair to cover the paint cost is fine by me.

Pics attached.
Did you 3D print that piece you used for the radio?

Also has anyone made any progress on using the navi sub display to show the hvac info with the non navi setup? would love to move the screens to a hidden location so I can have the cubbies back
Old 11-10-2013, 08:13 PM
Instructor

That is an OEM radio with the 6 disc changer and tape player removed. The bottom OEM DIN piece is still there with the OEM board for NAVI and HVAC controls.

A couple build pics attached.
Attached Thumbnails iPad mini install **pics**-photo-9.jpg   iPad mini install **pics**-photo-10.jpg   iPad mini install **pics**-photo-4.jpg  
Old 01-08-2014, 08:15 PM
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Couple Ideas here for those looking to do this...

I bought this little bluetooth remote for my iPhone. Has a home button, play, pause, and volume. If you get this remote and mount it you wouldn't have to carve out the bezel for the home button, and no one really needs the camera. I tried it with my ipad, works perfectly, just like the home button (once to close apps, twice for switching, hold for siri)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00824948U/ref=oh_details_o07_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00824948U/ref=oh_details_o07_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Just a side note though, if using bluetooth on the ipad with isimple, they don't play we'll together. Works fine if connected via USB or aux though (I'd be using the USB if I do this).

Second idea is jailbreak. You can then delete the lock screen and use an app called activator to unlock and lock screen when connected and unplugged from power....then when you start the car it would go straight to home unlocked screen and shut off when car shuts off.
Old 03-30-2014, 04:09 PM
t j
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
good job guys...

Quick Reply: iPad mini install **pics**