INSTALLED: AVELECTRONICS video switcher, with TV Tuner... Awesome!

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2006, 10:15 AM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
INSTALLED: AVELECTRONICS video switcher, with TV Tuner... Awesome!

Gents,
With the boom of the Doms unit around here, I wanted to present an alternative option for a video switching interface that brings MANY additional features to the table.

As I was researching video switchers, I stumbled across www.avelectronic.com . These guys sell the only video switcher on the market (that i have found), that can simultaneously accept multiple A/V inputs and independently output to multiple sources. Think of this thing as a Home Theatre Receiver for your car...

As with all video switchers on the market today, you also have to invest in an AUX audio interface. Although the avelectronic folks provide instructions on how to "tap the XM audio source" (also known as the free AUX mod), I prefer the PnP setup, which is currently supplied by a Blitzsafe AUX DMX v2.0.

Some of the superior features I have found of this unit...

1) Again, this unit offers 4 simultaneous A/V inputs. My current configuration is:
-AV1 - TV Tuner. The TV Tuner is built natively into the switcher box. You only have to run the antenna. See the pictures.

-AV2 - Ipod Video connection. I extended this connection carefully from the AVswitcher to the front of the car so the RCA's are easily accessible under the dash. I'm actually using my Sony Ericsson 810i (4GB memory card) for mp3s nowadays (I have the RCA connection cable for that). I seldom bring the Ipod to the car with all these other inputs, but I like to be able to switch inputs. Next time I take the console apart I will hardwire AV plugs into the console so I can switch between the Ericcson and Ipod Video extrmely easily.

-AV3 - Accelevision DVD. The Accelevision also plays mp3 CDs and has it's own AUX interface. Connected to the AUX interface of the Acelevision is a PS2. Talk about overkill.

-AV4 - Mediagate for movies and pictures, in the trunk with remote extension.

2) Fails-safe. This unit can have the power physically unplugged and the Nav will "pass through" it. Not so much a big deal with the PnP adapters, but the avelectronic units are the only ones to implement this technology so far.

3) S-Video input. One of the inputs I use for an Accelevision DVD player in the glovebox uses S-Video. Even on such a small screen, the image is much clearer.

4) No "toggle switch" to run. The unit is toggled between the Nav screen and the AV screen with an RF remote control. Install was snap, just had to run switched power and reverse camera signal. RF requires no line of sight. Just click click... See picture.

5) 3, that's right, 3 camera inputs. One is automatic, when placed in reverse. The other 2 are "baby cams" or front parking cams.

6) Built in TV Tuner that works suprisingly well. I sometimes watch the Simpsons when stuck in I-95 traffic.

7) Although I don't have headrest monitors yet, when I do get them, this unit has the ability to OUTPUT the SOURCES independently. That means the back left can watch a DVD, the back right can watch the Mediagate, and front can use the navigation AT THE SAME TIME. To implement this will also require a set of IR headphones for audio, as the car can only provide the audio out for (1) input.

Here's the unit out of the box

Here's the TV Tuner in operation:

Here's where I mounted the TV Tuner Diversity Antenna. It's virtually invisible from inside or outside:

Here's the Antenna Supply, under the third brake light:

Remote control:

The remote control was awkward at first, but now it's a breeze. Buttons 1-5 selects the A/V input you wish to view. Button 6 changes the TV channels. I can't remember what 7-9 does... I never use them.

and a shameless shot of my V1 hidden remote display. The V1 is in the upper left corner of the A-pillar. The V1 is stuck to the underside of te door, so it closes nicely.

Install was a breeze. The unit is mounted in the right rear quarter panel, in between the body panel and the frame using some light foam to "wedge it in there". The unit is about 2X the size of Dom's unit, so cleanly securing it to a body panel isn't an option.

It's not cheap, over 2X the price of the PnP Dom's unit... but when you consider the cost of the Dom's unit, a TV Tuner, and a audio and video splice, it's a good deal considering how integrated this unit is.

It's not for everyone, but I think it's really cool...

Feel free to post questions.
Old 10-31-2006, 10:29 AM
Trucki!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
wow......................does alot. I'd never have a use for all of that but it is cool. hell I don't even use my mediagate setup now. Except to show friends movies and such. I will get alot more use out of it when I recieve my camera this week!
Old 10-31-2006, 10:30 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts
Very cool product, thanks for the info Kennedy
Old 10-31-2006, 10:34 AM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Originally Posted by lembowski
wow......................does alot. I'd never have a use for all of that but it is cool. hell I don't even use my mediagate setup now. Except to show friends movies and such. I will get alot more use out of it when I recieve my camera this week!
Yep. The key things I like the most about it:

1) Multiple inputs, so i don't have to unplug the DVD to plug in the Ipod, etc.

2) The TV Tuner is just too cool. I actually use it when stuck in traffic to watch the news/traffic report.

3) Multiple outputs.
I just bought a 2007 Odyssey van for the wife (kid #2 on the way). It has a rear DVD, but no video display on the Nav system. I ordered another unit for the Van. When I install it in the Van, with a secondary DVD player, I can watch either DVD on either screen... The options are endless, and all will probably get exercised.

... Also, id it's not clear... This unit is also PnP as well. My backup camera and all the other input interfaces are functional as well. I just didn't take any pictures as we've all seen those before. I think the TV Tuner is a first.
Old 10-31-2006, 11:21 AM
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
what did it cost you for it.
Old 10-31-2006, 11:57 AM
.:HALCÓN DE LA NOCHE:.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by acura911
what did it cost you for it.

OMG, you just didn't quote the whole post w/ pics

It's all good. LOL.

Nice setup & details on your mod. I've been waiting to do the reverse camera & DVD playback mod, but I've been looking for a easy mod w/out the hassle of runnning alot of wires to the front of the car & splicing. This seems pretty good, since all I need is a reverse camera & DVD playback. Where did you get this item from? Any other things you purchased that didn't come with the unit?
Old 10-31-2006, 12:37 PM
My Daily Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
WOW! Any chance of a writeup for the install?

I'd be interested in this down the line since TV Tuner is one thing I am definitely getting, so if this is built in, I might as well spend the extra to have it all in one.
Old 10-31-2006, 12:43 PM
Retired!!! ON TOP!!!

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Great product!!!... and Awesome Write-up...

I considered it when I was looking for a switcher unit... However, Dom's unit was way too cheap on the Groupbuy to pass on it...
Old 10-31-2006, 12:50 PM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

All your answers are in my post...

www.avelectronic.com

The unit itself is about $600, that includes the switcher box, remote, PnP connection harness, and amplified TV Tuner antenna, and all power cables. Again, kinda pricey, but when you add up all the costs of what this thing does:
- PnP Dom's unit : $250
- DCC on/off switch $70
- Tv tuner: $150
- multi input switcher: $100

It's a cheaper and more integrated unit.

Again, you'll need an audio interface like a Blitzsafe AUX or USA SPEC ($120), or do the "free aux port" mod.
You'l need a camera and DVD player... and all the AV cords to run em togther.
That's it. but if all you want is DVD and reverse camera, www.avelectronic also sells a "budget" version of the video switchbox that is identical in specifications to Dom's, for a about the same price... except there's no waiting for a GB. Just call and order. Works exactly the same way. Competition is good I guess.

You can see the budget version here here:
http://www.avelectronic.com/Navigati...Dual.htm#Price

If you call and talk to Sam, he's VERY knowledgeable about this product, installation strategy and accessory products. He can also cut you a GREAT deal on a Video switcher/DVD/Camera combo. All you'd need is the A/V cables.

He walked me throught my Odyssey install over the phone. I'm pumped.
Old 10-31-2006, 12:54 PM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Originally Posted by johnny--2k
WOW! Any chance of a writeup for the install?

I'd be interested in this down the line since TV Tuner is one thing I am definitely getting, so if this is built in, I might as well spend the extra to have it all in one.
Datmrman's write up is what I used as a guide. Just replace this unit with the Dom's unit in his write up. All your sources go to the inputs... It was that easy.

I did the no-no and spliced switched power (for the switch box and tv tuner) off the Navigation power supply wire. The only wires I had to run to the front of the car was the Audio RCA's to the Blitzsafe, and the A/V cables for the Ipod and DVD.

It was cake... and worked the first time!
Old 10-31-2006, 05:52 PM
My Daily Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
so if that was a no-no, where else are people getting power from?
Old 10-31-2006, 05:59 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I also have the AV unit. I love it. Sam is a great guy. He showed me his car when we met up. As his office is right down the street from me. Your TV picture looks better than his.
Old 10-31-2006, 06:16 PM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Originally Posted by johnny--2k
so if that was a no-no, where else are people getting power from?
Most are installing an"add a fuse" in the fuse box or are tapping the cig lighter in the center console and running a power wire all the way to the trunk.

It's more easy to reverse that way if you ever have a warranty failure. I like to live on the edge.
Old 10-31-2006, 06:18 PM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Originally Posted by dan.....k
I also have the AV unit. I love it. Sam is a great guy. He showed me his car when we met up. As his office is right down the street from me. Your TV picture looks better than his.

High mounted amplified antenna, strong signal in Northern Va, and a quality Tuner = great TV picture. I get something like 8-10 channels depending on where I stop.
Old 10-31-2006, 07:07 PM
2010 WDP TL Tech

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
So let me get this straight, if I got this (the budget version), I could just hook it up and I would get tv. I don't need dom's. Is it plug and play or do I have to splice?
Old 10-31-2006, 07:26 PM
Instructor

I, too, own an AVelectronics unit for almost three years now, but without the optional amplified antenna; I am using the basic one that came with the unit. My only complaint is that over certain roads, the antennas would vibrate, or shake creating a crazy rattling sounds!!! (also have them installed on rear window) If you think our cars rattle alot already, these sounds make me crazy. Other than that I am very satisfied; anyone else experience this also? Any solutions?
Old 10-31-2006, 07:59 PM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Originally Posted by maxAmillion
So let me get this straight, if I got this (the budget version), I could just hook it up and I would get tv. I don't need dom's. Is it plug and play or do I have to splice?
The "budget" version is almost identical to Dom's. It installs the exact same way. Just like Dom's, the Navigation cable in PnP, but you have to either splice in power, or extend it from the fuse box. There is NOT an integrated TV tuner on the budget version... You have to get the larger"multi-video switcher WITH TV tuner, which is what this thread is about.
Old 10-31-2006, 08:01 PM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Originally Posted by x420actionx
I, too, own an AVelectronics unit for almost three years now, but without the optional amplified antenna; I am using the basic one that came with the unit. My only complaint is that over certain roads, the antennas would vibrate, or shake creating a crazy rattling sounds!!! (also have them installed on rear window) If you think our cars rattle alot already, these sounds make me crazy. Other than that I am very satisfied; anyone else experience this also? Any solutions?
That's totally a mounting problem. Mine haven't made a peep... ever. They're very secure with the mounting clips. If you're that unhappy with the rattle, call Sam. I'm sure he can send you some more clips to better secure the antenna.
Old 10-31-2006, 09:14 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Kennedy
That's totally a mounting problem. Mine haven't made a peep... ever. They're very secure with the mounting clips. If you're that unhappy with the rattle, call Sam. I'm sure he can send you some more clips to better secure the antenna.
can I see a picture of your mounts? it sounds like I may have a different method for the antennas; mine uses double sided adhesive.....what do u use exactly? Maybe the older ones and newer ones are a little different
Old 10-31-2006, 10:48 PM
Team Anthracite

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
do you need to cut any wires for power?
Old 10-31-2006, 11:41 PM
Safety Car

Received 39 Likes on 15 Posts
There are a few (older) threads on the AVElectronics module. Most of the members that use it have multiple displays (headrest, vanity mirrors, etc). Another multi output video switch goes by the name of Sokolov.

Both can be found with a search, but here are some threads I've dug up:
Thanks for the great writeup Kennedy!
Old 11-02-2006, 02:30 PM
Advanced

Great info and TV tuner feature is awesome! Btw, are you in downtown va beach? The antenna shot look like the parking garage across from the Cheesecake Factory.

Did you install this all by yourself? I have worked on my previous 2 cars but this one I am not brave enough to touch. Any recommendation for installation?
Old 11-02-2006, 02:48 PM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Originally Posted by HyperVTEC
Great info and TV tuner feature is awesome! Btw, are you in downtown va beach? The antenna shot look like the parking garage across from the Cheesecake Factory.

Did you install this all by yourself? I have worked on my previous 2 cars but this one I am not brave enough to touch. Any recommendation for installation?
Thanks... No actually, I'm in Tysons Corner VA in those pictures.

Install was breeze. The hardest part is removing the trim without damaging anything. I replacing all the stock speakers with Infinity Kappa's next week, I've gotten pretty familira with dissassembly.

The "box" is in the trunk, spliced into the Navi harness for power. The TV Tuner antenna is in the upper rear glass. I removed the left rear C-pillar and run the power and connection wiring across the headliner and down behind the C-pillar into the trunk (being careful to follow existing wiring in case of airbag deployment).

I ran a set of audio RCA's from the -output 1- of the box to the front headunit and connected them to the Blitzsafe (see datmrman's install). I ran multiple sets of A/V input RCA from the glovebox and center console for all the input sources (DVD's and Ipods).
I also ran all my power suppl's for the accessories, so the plugs would be hidden. I hate using the bulky existing cig plug, so spliced directly into the wiring on the other side of the plug.

That's it. I'll snap more photos next time I tear apart the interior for the speaker install.
Old 11-03-2006, 08:21 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Kennedy
Thanks... No actually, I'm in Tysons Corner VA in those pictures.

Install was breeze. The hardest part is removing the trim without damaging anything. I replacing all the stock speakers with Infinity Kappa's next week, I've gotten pretty familira with dissassembly.

The "box" is in the trunk, spliced into the Navi harness for power. The TV Tuner antenna is in the upper rear glass. I removed the left rear C-pillar and run the power and connection wiring across the headliner and down behind the C-pillar into the trunk (being careful to follow existing wiring in case of airbag deployment).

I ran a set of audio RCA's from the -output 1- of the box to the front headunit and connected them to the Blitzsafe (see datmrman's install). I ran multiple sets of A/V input RCA from the glovebox and center console for all the input sources (DVD's and Ipods).
I also ran all my power suppl's for the accessories, so the plugs would be hidden. I hate using the bulky existing cig plug, so spliced directly into the wiring on the other side of the plug.

That's it. I'll snap more photos next time I tear apart the interior for the speaker install.

Looking forward to seeing the new speakers setup.
Old 11-03-2006, 02:11 PM
5th Gear

WOW!!!!! This looks freakin' awesome!! I was on the GB list for Dom's TVandNav2go but i think this is is a simpler and more powerful option.

You're right about having to buy a bunch of different things. I don't have all the money now and I'd have to get it in a GB. After that, I'd have to find someone to install. Luckily AVElecronics has a person in the Bay Area that does it.

I think I just need to buy the box, reverse camera and plug in my mediagate. maybe drop a ps2 install or gamecube install. who knows. Thanks Kennedy! Would love to see pics of the install too if you can.
Old 01-03-2007, 08:03 PM
8th Gear

TV reception

Hey;

I too have recently installed the Avelectronics model. I Get horrible reception. Does not matter where I am. I recently traveled from Fort Myers, Fl to New Orleans, as far as a 100 miles away I could get a signal from the Ft Myers ABC (poor but I get it) however I get horrible reception and sound everywhere. Any tips? What about grounding etc. Thank you
Old 01-03-2007, 08:28 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,003 Likes on 1,423 Posts
Originally Posted by pileosnafu
Hey;

I too have recently installed the Avelectronics model. I Get horrible reception. Does not matter where I am. I recently traveled from Fort Myers, Fl to New Orleans, as far as a 100 miles away I could get a signal from the Ft Myers ABC (poor but I get it) however I get horrible reception and sound everywhere. Any tips? What about grounding etc. Thank you
where did you mount the antenna?
Old 01-03-2007, 08:33 PM
8th Gear

I have the Ant. low on the read window, I do not seem to have enough cable to get to it high, without have the amp module above the truck area, the cabling that came goes from the amp box, to the ant, is short say a foot at best, can I/should I splice it and place the ant higher. Also I know when I was into TRUNK scanning (police radio) there was desired lengths for certain frequencies, but they were all in the same range say the 800MHZ, but TV runs on two dif ranges. Also how much of a factor does direction play into this. Perhaps I am looking for to many answers and should just go with KISS
Old 01-03-2007, 08:41 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,003 Likes on 1,423 Posts
try moving it around and see what happens. I would advise angainst splicing and adding more lenght as alot of signal can get lost in the splice.
Old 01-03-2007, 09:43 PM
Instructor

If you already have Dom's unit you could just purchase the AV switcher, right? How much is just the switcher?
Old 01-04-2007, 07:54 AM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

pileosnafu... Where's the AVswitcher installed? If you look at the pictures, the antenna box is mounted under the third rear tailight cover on the roof. My antenna runs along the upper edge of the windshield. The higher the better.

2 issues it sound you have... The antenna needs to NOT be behind metal, and it can't TOUCH metal. Sam from AVelectronic suggested centering it on the rear glass, but I didn't want ti to be visible.

It sounds like the antenna is too low and the trunk is blocking reception.

iTISTIC, the switcher is an ALTERNATIVE to Dom's unit, with much more capability. They sell a competive unit that is virtually identical (and same price)

the multiswitcher is more expensive (about double Dom's unit) and can accept multiple input/output sources.
Old 01-04-2007, 08:11 AM
Instructor

Ah.. I've already got Dom's unit.. I just thought it'd be cool to use this device as an A/V switcher only but I guess that's a little overkill, haha. Oh well.
Old 02-03-2007, 09:16 PM
4th Gear

hey whats going on poeple. I was wondering if anyone get help me out with installing something like this in a 07 T.L Type S. Anyone with info let me know thanks.
Old 10-09-2007, 10:40 PM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Just wanted to Bump this up, had a few questions recently on this unit, 1 year in flawless operation...

Currently running:
- AV1 - TV Tuner
- AV2 - IPOD Nano mounted to Kuda base
- AV3 - PS2 slim in the glovebox, for show mainly
- AV4 - Mediagate in the center console for ripped movies.

Wendy reverse camera, still going strong.

As soon as I get a chance to clean up the interior, full photoshoot of custom 2 tone black an tan interior, with a crazy (yet stealthy) AV setup.
Old 10-10-2007, 07:06 AM
Retired!!! ON TOP!!!

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Can't wait to see it "C"....
Old 11-01-2007, 05:13 PM
04 TL 6MT NAVI ABP/Q

I'm looking at having my wife (finally) get me one of these for my birthday. Had some questions about power and XM.

1) I dont use my XM anymore and with this unit and its PMP friendly nature, I probably will never hook the XM back up. Is there something cheaper than the Blitzsafe that I can buy to simply unplug the XM Receiver and turn that (already run) set of wires into an Audio In? I'm not looking to do alot of soldering and splicing, I'm thinking more like a PnP that connects to the XM cable and then just has 2 Male RCA connectors on the other end.

2) Again, if I'm not going to use the XM Unit, can I jack the power from the XM unit for the AVelectronics and then I dont have to fiddle with running cables from the front of the car all the way to the back?

3) Can someone reccomend 2 good cameras? A = Backup Camera (04 TL). B = Baby Cam - Will just wedge it above the rear drop down armrest as my carseat is currently rear facing and center mounted.

I have the full set of Service Manuals including the smaller Electronics addendum, so I have pretty pictures I can follow when dissecting my car to install this.

I havent been on AZ in a long time, so forgive the laziness of me posting in here rather than digging up all this info on my own. I may even start a new thread for this...

-Casper42
Old 11-11-2009, 03:57 PM
Mistuh DRiiVA

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
how does the tv tunner work? with air waves? i thought they stopped broadcasting of tv over the air?
Old 11-12-2009, 09:20 AM
"Advance"

Received 27 Likes on 11 Posts
^^FYI They won't stop broadcasting, they just moving to DIGITAL

More info : http://www.fcc.gov/cgb/consumerfacts/digitaltv.html
Old 11-12-2009, 09:41 AM
Missing My CL-S

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
how's the tuner while driving?
Old 04-26-2010, 08:46 PM
7th Gear

Hey Fellas! I'm looking to do a navi to video conversion and looking for the best products/prices... Any suggestions?

I've seen on some post people mention doms unit, blitzsafe, among others.. Trying to see what I need....

Quick Reply: INSTALLED: AVELECTRONICS video switcher, with TV Tuner... Awesome!