Incoming Call Drops on 1st HFL Attempt

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2006, 11:56 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Incoming Call Drops on 1st HFL Attempt

When I get a incoming call to my Motorola E815 and the Bluetooth HFL alert displays on Navi screen, the call drops before I get a chance to answer it. But when the person immediately calls back, it works fine and the HFL functions as expected. This happens each time I receive a call while in the car (06 TL).

Callers always have to call a second time to connect. What could cause this? Do you think this is an issue with the phone or the car? Has anybody else experienced this?
Old 07-27-2006, 12:51 AM
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
i experience this as well, but i have a problem when i call someone. person would answer but like 5 seconds later the call just drops. tried it 3 times and all 3 times the call just dropped after 5 seconds. i own an '06 tl and have a cingular motorola razr phone.
Old 07-27-2006, 12:56 AM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Have experienced same problem. HFL is so worthless....sometimes I just turn blue tooth off completely to keep me from yelling "transfer" all the time cause it just sux!
Old 07-27-2006, 01:03 AM
Safety Car

Received 39 Likes on 15 Posts
Wow. There are many many threads on the E815. Popular phone for Verizon I suppose. Unfortunately, none of the threads I looked at had the same issues.

The phone is supposedly officially supported on the HFL website, so I'm not sure why you are having problems. Have you tried deleting the phone from the system and re-pairing it?

You could also take it to the dealership. They would be able to help you out. Good luck!
Old 07-27-2006, 01:21 AM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Old 07-27-2006, 01:29 AM
CTS-V Import Slayer

I tried to edit....didnt catch it. Had deal long deal written...geez...I hate that!

Anway....dont want dealer tearing apart car looking for a problem that NOBODY has been able to get fixed to their satisfaction historically. I just think the system is easier to work around than it is to work with.
Old 07-27-2006, 01:39 AM
Safety Car

Received 39 Likes on 15 Posts
Well, if his HFL is faulty, the dealership can diagnose it. I did some quick reading and saw that people had success with taking it back to their dealership. Its just a suggestion.

Good luck with it!
Old 07-27-2006, 01:48 AM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Originally Posted by datmrman
Well, if his HFL is faulty, the dealership can diagnose it. I did some quick reading and saw that people had success with taking it back to their dealership. Its just a suggestion.

Good luck with it!
Oh...I dont doubt that the dealer would attempt to diagnose it...but every time I have had them in my car....it is worse and worse with rattles and such. Not worth the trade-off to me. Every time they take a panel off and reinstall it...they either break it and have to order a new one (according to their paperwork) which delays the finishing by a day or two....or they do their thing and leave countless rattles and creaks behind them for me to try to remedy later.
Old 07-27-2006, 06:38 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dropped calls?

I had a similar problem on my '05 TL 6MT. In addition, the outside temp. gauge would show ---(3 bars), and the XM radio would act is if I didn't have a subscription. After shutting off the engine for 10 minutes, the temp. gauge and XM returned to normal at restart, however the problem with dropped calls remained.
Through some diligent work by the dealer tech who has worked on my Acura machines for several years, and several phone calls by him to California HQ, it was found that the ECU was "going to sleep". Apparently many electronic componenets are wired through the XM radio, including climate controls, and the Bluetooth. He replaced the entire ECU (although he tells me there is a "patch" available that installs in less than half the time of a complete replacement), and all problems are solved.
Hope this helps. It would be covered under warranty.
Old 07-27-2006, 07:28 AM
Safety Car

Received 148 Likes on 99 Posts
Mine does exactly the same thing but not all the time. I have the Verizon V3M Razr.
Old 07-27-2006, 09:11 AM
Racer

I have an 05 TL and the e815. I have zero problems when using the HFL.

By chance are you guys using the phone ringing alert or the voice alert on incoming calls on your TL? If you do a search in this forum, you will find that there is a bug with the voice alert. I had problems with my phone when I had the voice alert ("you have an incoming call"). From the day I switched to the phone ringing alert, I've never had a problem again.
Old 07-27-2006, 10:15 AM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Originally Posted by Warren803

By chance are you guys using the phone ringing alert or the voice alert on incoming calls on your TL? If you do a search in this forum, you will find that there is a bug with the voice alert. I had problems with my phone when I had the voice alert ("you have an incoming call"). From the day I switched to the phone ringing alert, I've never had a problem again.
I will look into changing that I guess....cause yep...I am using voice alert. Sometimes I get lost in thought and the ringing startles me.
Old 07-27-2006, 12:28 PM
Safety Car

Received 148 Likes on 99 Posts

Interesting. I am using the Voice Alert.
Old 07-27-2006, 01:10 PM
Burning Brakes

Yep, I use the voice alert too, but changing the ECU fixed the problem.
I would suggest anyone with this bug to look into having it fixed while under warranty.
Old 07-27-2006, 01:32 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by S PAW 1
Yep, I use the voice alert too, but changing the ECU fixed the problem.
I would suggest anyone with this bug to look into having it fixed while under warranty.
So I guess they cant do any sort of flash to the ecu to fix? Wow, maybe thats why they dont have any TSB to fix this problem. I mean, come on...I would like to have the "you have an incoming call" voice alert option...but is it really necessary to force a complete switch of your ecu just to fix that? I'm not that anal. I think I can live with the ring.

Also, just so you guys know. My E815 kept having problems until I switched to the ringing alert. This was over a year ago, and its never had one problem since. Also, if i remember the problem correctly I had one buddy who's call my hfl kept dropping. In actuality, the call didnt drop. What happened was that everytime I picked up with the hfl I would hear him for a second, then immediately hear nothing else. On the otherhand, he could still hear me on his side. So it didnt drop the call, but muted the incoming sound for some reason. I never figured out why it was only with my one friend calling me though.
Old 07-27-2006, 02:26 PM
CTS-V Import Slayer

So I guess they cant do any sort of flash to the ecu to fix? Wow, maybe thats why they dont have any TSB to fix this problem. I mean, come on...I would like to have the "you have an incoming call" voice alert option...but is it really necessary to force a complete switch of your ecu just to fix that? I'm not that anal. I think I can live with the ring.

Also, just so you guys know. My E815 kept having problems until I switched to the ringing alert. This was over a year ago, and its never had one problem since. Also, if i remember the problem correctly I had one buddy who's call my hfl kept dropping. In actuality, the call didnt drop. What happened was that everytime I picked up with the hfl I would hear him for a second, then immediately hear nothing else. On the otherhand, he could still hear me on his side. So it didnt drop the call, but muted the incoming sound for some reason. I never figured out why it was only with my one friend calling me though.
Again...same symptoms I have too! Did the change to ring tone from voice fix it though? (the incoming mute problem...that is irritating and I see it from time to time also)
Old 07-27-2006, 02:35 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by MichaelBenz
Again...same symptoms I have too! Did the change to ring tone from voice fix it though? (the incoming mute problem...that is irritating and I see it from time to time also)
Yes, the change from voice alert to ring alert fixed all my problems. I have not had a single glitch in the hfl system ever since the change over a year ago.

I have a good feeling that this might be your solution also. I'm just sorry it took you so long to find it, cuz I know you must have been frustrated with the system for so long. It was annoying the hell out of me for a couple of days till I came across the solution last year.

Hopefully this solves everything for you also...
Old 07-27-2006, 02:59 PM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Yes, the change from voice alert to ring alert fixed all my problems. I have not had a single glitch in the hfl system ever since the change over a year ago.

I have a good feeling that this might be your solution also. I'm just sorry it took you so long to find it, cuz I know you must have been frustrated with the system for so long. It was annoying the hell out of me for a couple of days till I came across the solution last year.

Hopefully this solves everything for you also...
Excellent! Thanks! Yes...it has been a bit irritating totally! Just ignored it as part of what you had to do to make it work. All I would do is use it for an alarm for the call....pickup and transfer....before it got lost.
Old 07-27-2006, 03:10 PM
Burning Brakes

I think the flash and the patch are the same. Have to admit I am not an expert, though.
Old 07-27-2006, 03:27 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by S PAW 1
I think the flash and the patch are the same. Have to admit I am not an expert, though.
Hmmm, so does anyone know if I went to an Acura dealer telling them I need the flash to my ECU for the HFL update/fix for dropped calls....would they know what I am talking about?
Old 07-27-2006, 03:38 PM
10th Gear

Wow, you guys are the BEST!!! I have the exact same issues with the Temp and HFL. I will call up my dealership and get it fixed right away.

I use the Voice alert because with the phone in my pocket, I found the MP3 ring and Car ring all mashed together annoying. Voice alert is much more like a "atuo-mute" for the radio....

Thanks again!!!
Old 07-27-2006, 11:14 PM
10th Gear

Well! That has been some interesting solutions to my problem. Thanks. I've been using the ring tone alert all along... so that is probably not the solution.

Warren803 narrowed the issue a bit. I experimented by taking my cordless land phone inside my car and calling my cell number. The HFL immediately mutes the *caller* as soon as it connects. It *seems* like the call drops because the radio comes back on. If I then give the voice command "mute", "MUTE" displays on the little screen. When I give the "mute" command again, the call resumes normally.

So the short-term solution in that situation is tell your caller to hold on a few seconds (you can't hear them but they can still hear you) and then give the car the "mute" command twice. Somebody else want to confirm this behavior?

To summarize... the HFL mutes whenever someone calls me the first time. It SEEMS like the call drops, bit not really. The problem is with the car, not the phone. I will experiment a bit further with the settings just to make sure, but after that, I will take it back to the dealer and have them patch the ECU.

It's odd because I just got the car beginning of July and it was manufactured just a month before that. You'd think the latest ECU patch would have been installed at the plant.
Old 07-28-2006, 07:29 AM
Burning Brakes

Guys, I don't think the problem is with your cell. Mine is an LG-325.
I believe the problem is in the HFL/ECU as mentioned earlier.
Old 11-13-2007, 12:08 AM
10th Gear

Just wanted to give update to my original problem from over a year ago.

Took it to dealer, described my problem, and asked for a firmware or flash update. They didn't know anything about that. After a day with the car and my phone, they said they found and fix the problem, which was my phone not being programmed correctly. I thought that was odd because I went through every possible configuration on my phone. But if they say so...

Turns out they were wrong (no surprise) and the problem remained. Months later when I took it in for oil change I told them the problem was not resolved from the last time I was in, and this time I wanted a new HFL/ECU chip. They gave me a similar line that it was probably my phone and they would look at it. Again, they said there was no way to 'upgrade' the chip.

While waiting in lobby for a ride to work, I heard the most wonderful words from a man in a suit walking towards me: "Hello Mr. Jones, I'm the Acura Bluetooth expert. I understand you're having Bluetooth issues with your HFL."

At first I thought he was from corporate and visiting this dealership. Turns out he was just a salesman who was the local expert with Bluetooth. He pairs 400 phones a month for the dealership, so he says. But... at least he seemed interested in my problem and wanted to see it for himself.

I proceeded to demonstrate the problem to him. Like everyone at Acura, he thinks it's my phone. Something about too many emails and viruses. So he then pulls out his 'reference' phone and tried to pair it and prove to me the problem was with my phone. He had a tough time getting his phone to pair and after several attempts proclaimed something was 'wrong' with my HFL. Imagine that? He said the response time after commands was odd and it wasn't working as expected. Several times he had to abort, turn the car off, and start over from scratch. He had a puzzled look on his face.

So we get out of the car and he immediatly tells the service manager to replace the whole thing. At this point, I'm saying to myself, "Finally, somebody here believes me!" I almost felt like crying. (Not really)

Bottom line: IT'S FIXED! I lost my phonebook entries, but that's a small price to pay. Turns out I just had a defective chip. It worked fine 90% of the time.

Lesson to anybody with similar problems: Insist Acura replace the whole chip. If you can't get that, at least ask to speak to their local bluetooth expert.
Old 11-14-2007, 06:02 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 120 Likes on 93 Posts
Originally Posted by 06_TL
i experience this as well, but i have a problem when i call someone. person would answer but like 5 seconds later the call just drops. tried it 3 times and all 3 times the call just dropped after 5 seconds. i own an '06 tl and have a cingular motorola razr phone.

Is it a v3 or a v3xx? If its the later you need the new firmware for you phone.