As If My Luck Wasn't Bad Enough Already...

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2012, 09:55 AM
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts
The BLD has worked well for me so far. Having the voltage output indicator has been helpful in setting my gains. I was surprised how much I had to crank the volume on the headunit and the gain on the BLD in order to output 3.5-5.0volts. (Headunit at 35 & BLD around 3/4). I don't know anything about the PG unit.

I grounded the BLD on one of the bolts securing the stock amp and I have an 8 gauge run to a distribution block under the passenger seat which is powering the H660, Rockford PBR, and the BLD. The remote is hooked to the remote out from the H660.

Don't know about the distance, but I always go with an extra couple feet so I have some leeway if I need to change things around.
Old 06-21-2012, 03:22 PM
Coolest A-zine Member

Received 172 Likes on 163 Posts
Alright guys, I've decided to stop being lazy and figure out a nice amp rack and how I'm going to wire everything. I think a false floor would be the easiest, using something like 1/4" mdf or cheap wood. The annoying part is that our trunks aren't level, but whatever.

I'm thinking about removing the thin little board/floor we have factory and using that 1/4" or so wood for a floor, mount everything to that and them make some risers for another board to sit atop it. I think someone has done this....but I'll have to see who did it and give them credit for the idea lol. Might be you Rich?! I dunno. Anyways, I'd make it hinged so I can still access the spare without having to remove the sub box, etc. Shit. That's not going to work. Ugh....back to the drawing board.
-------------------------------

Another thing I'm contemplating...I've got the Scosche Delta D block (pic below) and it was running 2 powers to my amps (and wire rigged into the input to run the processor lol) and 2 grounds for my amps. Processor had its own ground to the same place that this distro block grounds (2 separate grounds).

Should I leave it like this because I'll now have another power wire for the RF BLD that I'll have to put into the input end of the distro block. So I'd have the BLD power, power wire for amps, MS-8 power all in the input and 2 outputs to amps. Grounds would be the same as BLD will be grounded near factory amp and MS-8 I can just use the existing 3sixty.2 ground.

ORRR....

I can use the distro block like it's shown in the first pic and run 1 power in like I have now, but 4 powers out to control my MS-8, BLD & 2 amps. I've a ground distro block that's a 1in-2out that I can use on both amps and just the existing 2nd ground for the MS-8. This way seems cleaner and less rigged, but who knows....that's why I'm asking you all lol. Also, I've heard that it's better to have 1 ground for everything & I've heard it's better/just fine to have multiple grounds. I would think multiple grounds would mean "possibly" different resistances, but maybe that isn't the case if both my grounds are using the same bolt/spot.

Anyways....thanks for the help guys!
Old 06-25-2012, 10:38 AM
Coolest A-zine Member

Amp Rack Idea

Has anyone tried this, seen it or anything like that?? I need to measure to see if it will work like I want it, but I've put the amps up while holding them and it seems to be a possibility. It would be VERY VERY simple to make and wouldn't take up much room at all. The only problems I would see if that it'd be a PITA to get to the gain on the Q (on the left side of the amp) and gain on the SR1dk (on the top front of the amp). I guess I could just dial it in and then put it in place. Probably just use some L brackets at the bottom to make sure it doesn't topple over.

This would go in the corner opposite the nav. drive. Shouldn't come out further than the floor you can pull up to access the spare.

Other option is to do a false floor. You get the room on the left, but you also raise the entire floor by 3 or so inches. Plus you use more wood

Last edited by Trunk Monkey; 06-25-2012 at 10:43 AM.
Old 06-25-2012, 01:42 PM
Racer

Maybe you can put the SR1dk on top so you can access the gain and put the Q450 in the middle. You could attach rails to the middle level so it would slide out like a drawer.
Old 06-25-2012, 01:53 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
One good amp install I've seen was CSWBiggs (Jason). His is under the rear deck, taking up very little space.
Old 06-25-2012, 04:16 PM
Coolest A-zine Member

Originally Posted by rich20730
Maybe you can put the SR1dk on top so you can access the gain and put the Q450 in the middle. You could attach rails to the middle level so it would slide out like a drawer.
My main concerns with the Audison on top was its longer by about 4 over the Q & thats at about the height (I think) that the trunk area start to angle into that little area. The hump starts coming into the area where I would do this & the Audison might be too long to have in that top spot unless I cut out that part...which I might do anyways for running wires behind the trunk carpet. My other though was heat. The Q will get hotter than the Audison so I wanted it on top for heat distribution (or lack thereof lol). I'll measure that area & try to make a template and then I can lay my amps down on their sides to see of it'll fit.

I was thinking about the rail thing too. That'd be pretty cool

Originally Posted by I hate cars
One good amp install I've seen was CSWBiggs (Jason). His is under the rear deck, taking up very little space.
Ill check out his build, thanks.
Old 07-02-2012, 02:42 PM
Coolest A-zine Member

Alright...building an amp rack and getting everything hooked up tonight!! FINALLY!

Wondering if I should build 1 or 2 small, vertical amp racks in the corners or if I should do a false floor. I was thinking about either doing 1 amp rack (like seen in the pic a few posts above) in the left, front corner of the trunk OR making a 2 tier amp rack for both amps in the front left corner and making a small one for the MS-8 so it can mount above the nav drive on the right side. It'd be simple. Wouldn't take much fabrication or wood. Likely have some sort of railing on it so I can access the gains, etc on the Q since they're on the side.

OR...

Build a false floor. Lot of wood, making a template to contour the trunk, cutting that, putting a hinge on it so I can still get to my spare, etc. Sounds like a lot more work and a lot more weight!

Any reason why the amp rack(s) wouldn't work or reasons why I shouldn't go that route?
Old 07-02-2012, 02:48 PM
Racer

If you decide to go with the false floor, it's actually pretty easy. If you need the templates you could try pm'ing UA6Momo. I sent him mine a couple months back and he might be willing o forward them on to you.
Old 07-02-2012, 03:06 PM
Coolest A-zine Member

Cool thanks. I'll send him a PM. Is it something you shipped to him or just measurements of everything? It doesn't seem that hard, but uses quite a bit more wood than the corner racks. I dunno...guess we'll just see what happens lol
Old 07-02-2012, 07:55 PM
Racer

Yea I shipped him the actual templates cut out of some flooring underlayment. Rolls up nicely and only cost about $7 to ship. It's actually only two 2'x4' sheets of 1/4 inch mdf.
Old 07-02-2012, 10:05 PM
Coolest A-zine Member

Yeah. The corner rack doesn't really work lol. Not enough space for my size amps. I'm building a false floor Wednesday