I say "send", TL hears "seven"

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2004, 07:09 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 66 Likes on 28 Posts
I say "send", TL hears "seven"

I did a search but couldn't find this subject addressed. I thought I had brought it up before, but apparently not.

When I place a call by voice and hit a "Privacy Director" number, Ma Bell tells me "If you wish the called party to see your name and number, press ONE."

I press the steering wheel button and say "ONE". The system responds: "ONE. Say 'send', 'store', or add more numbers.

When I say "SEND", the system responds: "SEVEN". I have tried many different inflections, but it always hears my SEND as SEVEN.

Has anyone found a work around for this problem?
Old 11-26-2004, 11:24 PM
CEO, Team Anthracite

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The only thing I do for these situations is to keep the phone handy and key in (by touch) all the numbers they need. This is especially important for those call-tree systems where you have to hit 6 numbers before you can talk to someone.

By the way, I've had to do that before and it usually recognizes my "send" command. What happens if you call some 1-800 number and tell it a different number like 6 and say "send?" Does it recognize it at that point?
Old 11-26-2004, 11:40 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
https://acurazine.com/forums/ramblings-12/shaq-back-96784/

Originally Posted by Xpditor
I did a search but couldn't find this subject addressed. I thought I had brought it up before, but apparently not.

When I place a call by voice and hit a "Privacy Director" number, Ma Bell tells me "If you wish the called party to see your name and number, press ONE."

I press the steering wheel button and say "ONE". The system responds: "ONE. Say 'send', 'store', or add more numbers.

When I say "SEND", the system responds: "SEVEN". I have tried many different inflections, but it always hears my SEND as SEVEN.

Has anyone found a work around for this problem?
Old 11-27-2004, 12:37 AM
Team Owner

Received 3,864 Likes on 2,031 Posts
They say short-term memory is the first thing to go!

Mike
Old 11-27-2004, 09:02 AM
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've just about given up with voice commands. My frustration grows each time the stupid voice reads back something different from what I said. Once, I tried to demonstrate the feature to a friend, and they agreed that it's more trouble than it's worth. Overall, I like the car, but voice recognition in a car is something that's far from perfected...too much hassle for too little return. I wish there was a way to use the touchscreen to dial numbers instead of using voice recognition...anyone know an easy way to do this?
Old 11-27-2004, 10:00 AM
Senior Moderator

Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not really after you.

Originally Posted by JetJock
I've just about given up with voice commands. My frustration grows each time the stupid voice reads back something different from what I said. Once, I tried to demonstrate the feature to a friend, and they agreed that it's more trouble than it's worth. Overall, I like the car, but voice recognition in a car is something that's far from perfected...too much hassle for too little return. I wish there was a way to use the touchscreen to dial numbers instead of using voice recognition...anyone know an easy way to do this?
It's uncanny the way the car seems to know when you're demonstrating the features for a friend- because that's when it's sure to mess up.

Wait! The front passenger seat has sensors in it! That damned computer KNOWS! It's a conspiracy!
Old 11-27-2004, 10:06 AM
Senior Moderator

Dead brain cells?

Originally Posted by svtmike
They say short-term memory is the first thing to go!

Mike
Ain't it the truth! I tried searching on "seven" and system said that's too common a word. I tried "voice recognition" and that didn't work either.

I DO remember posting about the subject before, but thought perhaps it was on a different forum.

Rets- thanks for finding it.
Mike- thanks for nothing.
Old 11-27-2004, 02:59 PM
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
accent?
Old 11-27-2004, 03:49 PM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
my voice recognition works very, very well. I rarely have a problem with it!!