I put the 05 RL NAVI Disc in my 04 TL and.....

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2004, 08:55 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I put the 05 RL NAVI Disc in my 04 TL and.....

I know that other's have wanted the new '05 RL's XM Live Traffic feature on our current TLs. Our TLs already have built-in XM...perhaps we could get lucky and get the Live Traffic feature by buying an upgrade disc. Just for kicks, I "borrowed" the Navi disc from an 05 RL and put it in my Navi system.

FYI - The 05 RL has ver 4.09 from the same company (it says copyright Alpine in small print). The RL DVD has orange lettering with a different design whereas my TL's disc has white lettering. Also, the 05 RL NAVI has the same PC card slot in the DVD unit.

So when I put the disc in my car, this is what I saw:
[IMG][/IMG]

So I guess this experiment was a failure. Maybe if we upgrade disc versions, we also need a PC card to flash the NAVI OS?

The 05 MDX also will have an upgraded NAV that has Zagat's ratings but no LiveTraffic feature. When I get my hands on that disc, I'll post what happens.
Old 10-22-2004, 09:14 PM
Advanced

Thanks for trying. I was hoping someone would test this out. However, I doubt we will be able to reap the benifits of the RL's real time traffic in the NAV. I think you have to pay for the service in addition to the software. Good work though
Old 10-22-2004, 09:59 PM
Suzuka Master

Nice effort and good information. Thank you.
Old 10-23-2004, 12:01 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Great experiment. Thanks for trying.
Old 10-23-2004, 06:18 AM
Cesspool of Knowledge

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I looked at the 05RL Navi a few days ago. It was obvious to me that this was not going to be a simple software "upgrade" for our existing 04TL/05TL Navi systems.

1) The user interface is very different, and doesn't look as "touch screen friendly".

2) The fact that the 05RL Navi comes on a different DVD (with a dfferent design) from the other Acura & Honda Navi systems is not a good sign. There was a thread from about a year ago where gvahe modified the boot files on our DVD to load the Honda Accord Navi on his 04TL system (see here: https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...threadid=66044). This resulted in a minor an Operating System change. Basically, it was the same, only different. The key here was that it came all off of the same DVD.

3) No card in the PC Card slot in the 05RL. I always thought this was a bunch of hoohey. Somebody started this as a rumour a few months back, and I was pretty sure that individual was pullin' our leg at the time. Considering how much leg pullin' that individual does, I'm betting that they must be pretty buff by now.

So, does somebody want to try gvahe's patch to attempt an 05RL boot-up on our Navi system? Brokedoc, were you able to get a DVD ".ISO" image of the 05RL disc? If you did, I may be willing to give this a shot.

One thing I would like to see (even if we don't get the Real Time Traffic) would be the expanded Voice Recognition commands.

If you do want to try this yourself, be forewarned: You may completely take out your Navi system in the process! You may convince your dealer that it just failed though, and get it replaced under warranty if you're lucky.
Old 10-23-2004, 06:19 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Thank you so much for trying, brokedoc. I am also hopeful that the PC card slot and an updated navi DVD come in handy to obtaining the RL's information.
Old 10-23-2004, 01:30 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 131 Likes on 79 Posts
Points for trying Brokedoc, now we know, thanks! Let us know what you find when you try the MDX disc
Old 01-16-2005, 08:41 AM
Waiting for delivery

I have both an '05 MDX and an '05 TL. The MDX disc does indeed have Zagat ratings, but doesn't have the live traffic feature of the RL. The two discs are very similar, but the MDX allows you to customize the user names from "User 1" and "User 2" to anything you want. I can't figure out how to do this in the TL. Otherwise most things are the same. I actually prefer the TL disc to the MDX disc.
Old 01-16-2005, 10:39 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by Alligator
I have both an '05 MDX and an '05 TL. The MDX disc does indeed have Zagat ratings, but doesn't have the live traffic feature of the RL. The two discs are very similar, but the MDX allows you to customize the user names from "User 1" and "User 2" to anything you want. I can't figure out how to do this in the TL. Otherwise most things are the same. I actually prefer the TL disc to the MDX disc.
Could MDX discs be put into TL? Thanks.
Old 01-16-2005, 03:35 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
alligator... do you have a dvd reader on your computer? if you do... can you put it in your computer, go to my computer, open the drive, and list all the file names in here?

if they are the same format as the TL's navi, then Rets: yes we can use it (well in theory at least).... BUT, if they are the same file structure as the RL (which is different) then we cannot use it
Old 01-16-2005, 08:03 PM
Waiting for delivery

Good question. Let me check tomorrow. It's -2 degrees here now, and I'm too cold to go back outside and try it. I'll pull the discs when I come home from work tomorrow.
Old 01-16-2005, 08:43 PM
Suzuka Master

Thanks Alligator.
Old 02-28-2005, 04:48 PM
Computer Techie Geek

Hey Alligator any update ??
Old 03-03-2005, 11:15 AM
Advanced

Just wondering if the RL version even has touch screen capabilities in it's version of the software as the navi screen seems to far away for someone to reach it?
Old 03-03-2005, 10:13 PM
TL-SHAWD 6MT Rocks!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No touch screen for the RL,
only dial and better voice commands...

on the other hand, you can spell out each letter via voice, which the TL can't do.
Old 03-08-2005, 07:34 PM
Suzuka Master

onalake - i doubt it would have the drivers programmed in the software. it was not simply an update to the current software - the RL's navi is a complete overhaul, a new generation in navis... so it is doubtful.
Old 04-06-2005, 01:02 AM
3rd Gear

Update???

Any update on the 05 MDX in an 04/05 TL? I'm dying to know if the Zagats feature worked.

Thanks,
Joe.
Old 04-06-2005, 06:40 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by jhs2
Any update on the 05 MDX in an 04/05 TL? I'm dying to know if the Zagats feature worked.

Thanks,
Joe.
no. it does not. :-\
Old 04-14-2005, 12:52 PM
DIY Mad Scientist

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
one interesting note is that our Nav units have an extra plug in the rear that it not used. It could be for additional input / output and it's possible that our DVD units are the same generation.

Each car uses a specific BIN file when loading. That is encoded in our DVD units (EPROM). So when you put the DVD in, it looks for the TL BIN file. The MDX and RL BIN files are different. The best way to test this is to take one of the BIN files I assume there are 3 (MDX, Odyssey and RL) and rename it to the TL BIN filename. Burn a CDR with all the BIN files (with the updated BIN but renamed with the TL BIN filename) and do a "DISC Load".

The BIN files are approx. 13Mb in size. I don't mind giving it a try if someone can E-mail me one or all 3 of the bin files. LMK.
Old 04-14-2005, 01:04 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by lithiumus
one interesting note is that our Nav units have an extra plug in the rear that it not used. It could be for additional input / output and it's possible that our DVD units are the same generation.

Each car uses a specific BIN file when loading. That is encoded in our DVD units (EPROM). So when you put the DVD in, it looks for the TL BIN file. The MDX and RL BIN files are different. The best way to test this is to take one of the BIN files I assume there are 3 (MDX, Odyssey and RL) and rename it to the TL BIN filename. Burn a CDR with all the BIN files (with the updated BIN but renamed with the TL BIN filename) and do a "DISC Load".

The BIN files are approx. 13Mb in size. I don't mind giving it a try if someone can E-mail me one or all 3 of the bin files. LMK.

From what I remember this has been tried and tested already (for non 05' RL). If I remember correctly, somebody had loaded the accord bin file onto the TL which gave us a few extra functions, but also took away a couple.

I thought about doing this for the 05RL; however, somebody had sent me a list of files on the new RLs dvd, and they are not the same bin files that are on our dvds. so I came to the conlcusion there was no way around that.... but if you find a way, it would be awesome
Old 04-14-2005, 02:12 PM
DIY Mad Scientist

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Gotta get my hands on one of those discs to confirm...
Old 04-14-2005, 07:41 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by lithiumus

Jeesus....

RL and TL nav systems are TOTALLY DIFFERENT and will NEVER be able to use disks/files interchangably. TOTALLY Different hardware too...
Old 04-20-2005, 05:36 PM
one -n- only

Originally Posted by Greg-ster
Jeesus....

RL and TL nav systems are TOTALLY DIFFERENT and will NEVER be able to use disks/files interchangably. TOTALLY Different hardware too...
ok "greg-ster" take it easy, sounds like your about to have a heart attack
Old 04-22-2005, 11:21 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Greg-ster
Jeesus....

I don't believe that the hardware is all that different. IIRC, the '05 RL and the '05 MDX share the same NAV disc. Unlike the "i-drive" system in the '05 RL, the 3GTL and the '05 MDX NAVs are essentially the same except that the MDX has Zagats and the ability to use voice commands for city/street names.