I don't know what to call this thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2011, 05:24 PM
Coolest A-zine Member

Received 172 Likes on 163 Posts
Thumbs down I don't know what to call this thread

Hmm....lets see where to start the list....

Well...my right tweeter went up in smoke a few days ago...literally. Sad to see but I feel like I've been having some odd problems for at least a week now. My battery is dying for one so every start-up for these last few days have been troublesome. I don't know if the damn 3sixty.2 was staying on, but I haven't touched it or moved in, this just started acting weird. Anyways, I got in my car and it had a hard time starting up but when it did, I heard a pop and smoke started pouring out of my right tweeter haha. I'd be pissed if this was a nice tweeter but whatever. I want to figure out wtf happened before I buy something nicer and I cook that one. I think it has something to do with the "ground/power/remote" piece that goes into the 3sixty.2. It's not tight at time and when it releases a little bit, it makes a VERY loud boom/pop in the speakers. I was driving down the road a few weeks ago and it did it...nearly gave me a heart attack! I had taped this piece to the 3sixty.2 but It came loose again somehow. I guess I'll just have to use a zip-tie and then tape around that so I KNOW it wont move. Also, I used to get a pop from my mid (I think passenger side mid) upon turning my car off. It happened a few times when I was having all the problems and found out about the 3sixty.2 piece coming out of it. Well it did it again when I fried my tweeter so hopefully it didn't fry my mid. I'm just started to get annoyed with all of this though....

I feel like I'm starting to understand what I Hate Cars (Matt right?) was saying. I get in the car and my tune sounds good at times, then it sounds shitty to my ears on other days. Likely from not really doing much to the tune besides TA and setting x-overs/slopes. Haven't done any EQ to any speaker. Which leads me to my next point....

I think my DVD/CD player is about to say bye bye. It's taking a long time to read DVD-A's, sometimes it will read them and sometimes it will say "FORMAT" and spit it out. If I change songs, I can hear the player pretty loudly. I don't know if it's scratching the disc or what...but it's starting to annoy me. I'm about to just say F it and get a Isimple and huge Ipod (dont want to use my Iphone4 I dont think)

Last edited by Trunk Monkey; 10-26-2011 at 05:28 PM.
Old 10-26-2011, 07:47 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Don't get discouraged, this stuff is normal.....well the tweeter not so much. Did you have a cap inline with the tweeter? Can the 360 crossover settings get erased if it loses battery power? Just wondering if the tweeter got a full range signal although that almost sounds like straight DC power.

Sometimes mine sounds different from day to day. I've learned that my ears change a little. Just the slightest head cold makes the system sound different and usually in a bad way. Just think of where your standards for good sound are at today vs a year ago. You're going to be more picky.

If you don't need a tweeter right away, I'll give you my Dyn 102 tweeters for a very good price. Very detailed but smooth tweeter. Since I'm still waiting on the mids to get here I'm running it as a 2-way system with the tweeters crossed at 2,200hz and they do fine down there.

Quite honestly if you're looking for an amazing tweeter for a 2-way that can go low and you don't mind doing a little work to make it fit, the 130 is a great tweeter capable of playing 2khz and below.

If it makes you feel any better, it's been over 2 weeks since the klippel has been performed and not only have I not received my $1,600 mids, but he spilled water inside the box.

I also had to buy another HD900/5 to power the mids that are about to arrive because I let someone borrow mine and that person disappeared. That was on Monday. The tracking number I was given doesn't work and the seller has disappeared.

Which tweeters were you running? I might have an extra Massive Audio soft dome tweeter. I'll check if the SK-6 tweeters are the same.
Old 10-26-2011, 09:05 PM
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by I hate cars
If it makes you feel any better, it's been over 2 weeks since the klippel has been performed and not only have I not received my $1,600 mids, but he spilled water inside the box.

I also had to buy another HD900/5 to power the mids that are about to arrive because I let someone borrow mine and that person disappeared. That was on Monday. The tracking number I was given doesn't work and the seller has disappeared.
Damn, you've had some bad luck. I bought a TRU S44 that was supposed to be new and it turned out to be defective. It took a while but the seller reimbursed me for the repairs. TRU ended up replacing the Main PC Board so it's essentially new. Sad thing is that I'm going to sell it because I decided to go with my original plan to keep the amp under the seat.

Hope you're able to get that amp back.

Trunk Monkey, you might want to get a remote turn on delay which will also boost the signal. PAC makes one. It might help with the turn on/off pop.
Old 10-26-2011, 09:44 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by sddale
Damn, you've had some bad luck. I bought a TRU S44 that was supposed to be new and it turned out to be defective. It took a while but the seller reimbursed me for the repairs. TRU ended up replacing the Main PC Board so it's essentially new. Sad thing is that I'm going to sell it because I decided to go with my original plan to keep the amp under the seat.

Hope you're able to get that amp back.

Trunk Monkey, you might want to get a remote turn on delay which will also boost the signal. PAC makes one. It might help with the turn on/off pop.
Agreed with the remote turn on delay. The MS8 has this feature. People who have bypassed this function have ended up with blown tweeters.

That sucks, I saw your thread on there. Who knows, maybe you could come out on top if you can get a little extra money now that it's practically new. I know you were thinking about the HD series amps. You'll love them if that's what you decide on.

Like I said, I can get those pretty close to dealer cost from an authorized shop but the minimum order is 2. That's why I ended up getting this 900/5 used for $600 which is barely cheaper than a new one from my guy. I was so close to spending a little more ($1,100) for an additional 600/4 and 750/1.
Old 10-26-2011, 10:44 PM
Racer

Agreed with the remote turn on delay. The MS8 has this feature. People who have bypassed this function have ended up with blown tweeters.

That sucks, I saw your thread on there. Who knows, maybe you could come out on top if you can get a little extra money now that it's practically new. I know you were thinking about the HD series amps. You'll love them if that's what you decide on.

Like I said, I can get those pretty close to dealer cost from an authorized shop but the minimum order is 2. That's why I ended up getting this 900/5 used for $600 which is barely cheaper than a new one from my guy. I was so close to spending a little more ($1,100) for an additional 600/4 and 750/1.
How much do you think the 600/4 would go for? Assuming someone else was picking up at 900/5. I'm thinking about just getting an XD400 and seeing if I can get a trade on some 6.5's for the S44. I don't know yet.

Sorry to go off topic...Trunk Monkey: Did I read somewhere else that there was a problem with the remote turn on for the 3sixty and you worked around it? Maybe you should try the delay turn on (I got the PAC TR-4 for about $15) using the OEM remote wire.
Old 10-26-2011, 11:05 PM
Team Owner

I believe it's around $500...

TM, any news?
Old 10-27-2011, 01:32 PM
Team Owner

There's a Dynaudio 242GT system for sale for $475 on DIYMA. It uses the stamped steel basket for easier installation and the 102 tweeter. It would make for a nice upgrade and you can always add the midrange to make it a 3-way later on.

Trending Topics

Old 10-27-2011, 03:00 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 69 Likes on 57 Posts
So, the big question I have is, so you think there was any chance of getting your amp fixed by DAT if you hadn't posted a thread about it???
Old 10-27-2011, 05:27 PM
Coolest A-zine Member

Sorry for the delay. Been kinda busy lately, but hopefully I can get this tweeter or 3sixty.2 situation figured out soon. I still have the CXS tweeters but I'm afraid to use them until I figure out what's wrong or get a remote turn-on delay like you guys suggested. Where exactly would I install this delay?

IHC- I sent you a PM about those tweets. Is the 130 better than the 102 or do they sound different or what? You're using the 130 right. Also, glad to hear about your mids coming in. That sounded like a pretty shitty situation..

Edit: The SK6 set comes with the smaller Massive tweeter. It's okay though, I'd like to try something else out.

Sddale- From what Neibur said, I assume you bought that TRU amp from DAT on DIYMA? He's the guy I bought my RK6's from and one of the ring adapters came broken. I PM'd the guy twice and he never responded. That was after I review them on DIYMA and he used MY pictures in all of his massive audio for sale threads. Sounds like there are a few people over at DIYMA that have a big head since they've been there so long
Old 10-27-2011, 07:42 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Trunk Monkey
Sddale- From what Neibur said, I assume you bought that TRU amp from DAT on DIYMA? He's the guy I bought my RK6's from and one of the ring adapters came broken. I PM'd the guy twice and he never responded. That was after I review them on DIYMA and he used MY pictures in all of his massive audio for sale threads. Sounds like there are a few people over at DIYMA that have a big head since they've been there so long
Sounds just like Dave. No, he is just that way. Maybe it's from being on Diyma too long?? I personally think it is just the way he does business.

BTW, we aren't all like that. If you ever need any product or anything, let me know and (although I primarily only carry high end brands) I would be happy to provide you truly GREAT customer service.

Jerry
The following users liked this post:
Trunk Monkey (10-28-2011)
Old 10-27-2011, 08:03 PM
Team Owner

Sorry for the delay. Been kinda busy lately, but hopefully I can get this tweeter or 3sixty.2 situation figured out soon. I still have the CXS tweeters but I'm afraid to use them until I figure out what's wrong or get a remote turn-on delay like you guys suggested. Where exactly would I install this delay?

IHC- I sent you a PM about those tweets. Is the 130 better than the 102 or do they sound different or what? You're using the 130 right. Also, glad to hear about your mids coming in. That sounded like a pretty shitty situation..

Edit: The SK6 set comes with the smaller Massive tweeter. It's okay though, I'd like to try something else out.

That sucks. My dealer usually ships within the hour of payment and provides outstanding support along the way. He even put a little pressure on the guy to hurry up and get the 430s shipped back to me even though his job was done at that point. Heck, he even got them to warranty the speakers if something went wrong with the klippel test. That DAT guy seems to really whore the Massive stuff out and comes across as generally arrogant.

Jerry would be the one to ask about the 130 vs 102 but I think the 130 is a significant upgrade in a 2-way, not as much of an upgrade in a 3-way where it will be high passed a lot higher. It should be smoother up top and play lower without breaking up, right Jerry? I should know in a month or so. The problem is the 130 is huge. Kicks would be the easiest solution.

I don't think I got a PM but I'll double check.
Old 10-27-2011, 11:07 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by niebur3
So, the big question I have is, so you think there was any chance of getting your amp fixed by DAT if you hadn't posted a thread about it???
No. I wouldn't have started that thread if I thought he would. I really didn't want to do that but the signs of how he works were out there. A lot of guys don't like how he does business.

Trunk Monkey, so he never replaced it?
Old 10-27-2011, 11:30 PM
Burning Brakes

Jerry would be the one to ask about the 130 vs 102 but I think the 130 is a significant upgrade in a 2-way, not as much of an upgrade in a 3-way where it will be high passed a lot higher. It should be smoother up top and play lower without breaking up, right Jerry? I should know in a month or so. The problem is the 130 is huge. Kicks would be the easiest solution.
Yes, the 130's are a significant upgrade, more so in a 2-way set up. Absolutely stunning, if you can fit them! The benefit of a large format tweeter is the ability to play low. There are so many benefits to this in a 2-way system and the hardest thing for a tweeter to do is play low and do it well. This is one of the best tweeters Dyn has EVER made!
Old 10-27-2011, 11:43 PM
Team Owner

Yes, the 130's are a significant upgrade, more so in a 2-way set up. Absolutely stunning, if you can fit them! The benefit of a large format tweeter is the ability to play low. There are so many benefits to this in a 2-way system and the hardest thing for a tweeter to do is play low and do it well. This is one of the best tweeters Dyn has EVER made!

I really wish there was room under the dash for these tweeters. I was wanting to enlarge the existing tweeter holes to flush mount this tweeter. Even fitting the motor assembly into the hole in the dash with the flange on top of the dash would be fine.
Old 10-27-2011, 11:45 PM
Burning Brakes

I really wish there was room under the dash for these tweeters. I was wanting to enlarge the existing tweeter holes to flush mount this tweeter. Even fitting the motor assembly into the hole in the dash with the flange on top of the dash would be fine.
I believe you would have to alter the duct for the drivers side in order to fit it.
Old 10-27-2011, 11:50 PM
Team Owner

I believe you would have to alter the duct for the drivers side in order to fit it.
I would have no problem doing that if that's all that's stopping it. I suspect the passenger side as well. My 102 already hits on it. It's my fault, I used these huge spade connectors. Probably going to redo it tomorrow while I have everything apart.
Old 10-28-2011, 10:01 AM
Coolest A-zine Member

Sounds just like Dave. No, he is just that way. Maybe it's from being on Diyma too long?? I personally think it is just the way he does business.

BTW, we aren't all like that. If you ever need any product or anything, let me know and (although I primarily only carry high end brands) I would be happy to provide you truly GREAT customer service.

Jerry
Thanks Jerry. I'll definitely keep you in mind as I'm getting antsy to step up my game

Trunk Monkey, so he never replaced it?
Nope, he never even got back to me. Glad I didn't need that but still...terrible service. Especially when you use my pictures from my review without even asking. He's a vendor...but doesn't have a camera??

I would have no problem doing that if that's all that's stopping it. I suspect the passenger side as well. My 102 already hits on it. It's my fault, I used these huge spade connectors. Probably going to redo it tomorrow while I have everything apart.
So is it the 102 you want to sell or the 130's?? I really can't decide if I want to stick with a fully active 2-way or go with mids/tweets on passives and midrange active. I assume I can use the crossover for the one of the 3 speakers I don't want to use active and then use the other two like I do right now. So I could do tweets/midrange active and midbass on passives? I just want that smooth, low distortion, simple sound. I feel like the more I tune and try to get what I want, the more it sounds like it's processed. Doesn't help I can't get my test tones on a DVD-a but still
Old 10-28-2011, 12:12 PM
Burning Brakes

He's a vendor...but doesn't have a camera??
Actually, funny thing is I just PM's with MassiveAudio on DIYMA and DAT (dave) is NOT an authorized dealer. He buys from a distributor, but it is NOT authorized and Massive has asked him to stop. Same goes for dman on DIYMA.
Old 10-28-2011, 12:15 PM
Burning Brakes

So is it the 102 you want to sell or the 130's??
He wants to buy 130's, but they are large format and are tough to fit in the dash (kick area works great)!
Old 10-28-2011, 01:48 PM
Coolest A-zine Member

Actually, funny thing is I just PM's with MassiveAudio on DIYMA and DAT (dave) is NOT an authorized dealer. He buys from a distributor, but it is NOT authorized and Massive has asked him to stop. Same goes for dman on DIYMA.
Wow. Didn't know that

He wants to buy 130's, but they are large format and are tough to fit in the dash (kick area works great)!
Yeah those 130's are huge. The 102's would fit fine but if they won't work as good in a 2-way setup then I dunno. I wish I knew how to build some a-pillars for mids and tweets to be honest.
Old 10-28-2011, 01:54 PM
Team Owner

Wow. Didn't know that

Yeah those 130's are huge. The 102's would fit fine but if they won't work as good in a 2-way setup then I dunno. I wish I knew how to build some a-pillars for mids and tweets to be honest.
The 102s will still work excellent in a 2-way setup. They are to date the best small format tweeter I've personally heard. I'm running mine low at 2,200hz until I get my midrange in today and they handle it fine even at high volumes. They are sold in both the 2-way set and the 3-way set from Dyn. They should be a nice step up from the Massive tweeters. You will gain clarity and smoothness.

However, the 130 should sound better at the lower frequencies that you would encounter in a 2-way but the difference evens out a little when you're running a 3-way where the tweeter will start at 4khz to 6khz.
Old 10-28-2011, 02:26 PM
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
What about the A-panels?
Old 10-28-2011, 04:43 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by RBeachTL
What about the A-panels?
The a-pillar would work also, these tweeters are pretty big and they will get noticed up there.
Old 10-28-2011, 06:17 PM
Coolest A-zine Member

Gotta know how to work with them though b/c they are in sight and if it looks mediocre...ouch. Can possibly be pretty ugly. Most a-pillar installs look sweet though. I wish I could do it or knew someone close that could do it. I'd be all over a 3-way if I could. I just can't afford your kicks right now Jerry, though IHC seems to love em