I-058: playa4real's Peripheral PXAMG Install for a 3G Type S

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 10:02 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BTW, there is a group buy on the Peripheral unit.. I bought it for $133.03.. Installed on an 05 TL and working great!! No complaints at all.. Shifting through the names/albums/playlists are a lot simpler than I expected. Definitely worth the $$!! Just an fyi.
Old 02-26-2009, 05:54 PM
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
sorry guys, ive been ridic busy and havent really been on the forums. i thought you guys would have figured out how to wire up these bad boys, but apparently not j/k. so here is a modified list of the wires and resistors. hopefully this answers all of your questions..just be sure to draw it out before you attempt it so you don't get confused.

the wire colors that are bold are the ones that are going from the male to female connector. The colors in CAPS & bold are the wires that have been spliced to go to each of the connectors. Note that the top row of each is respective to top row and bottom row to bottom row

male connector:
top row: YELLOW, RED, brown(1), brown(2), space, orange, pink, BLACK/WHITE, white, gray
bottom row: BLACK, red/white, brown(3), brown(4), brown(5), orange/black, pink/black, brown(6), white/black, gray/black

female connector:
top row: gray/red, white/red, BLACK/WHITE, pink/red, orange, space, brown(2), brown(1), RED, YELLOW
bottom row: gray/blue, white/blue, brown(6), pink/blue, orange/black, brown(5), brown(4), brown(3), red/white, BLACK

24 pin connector
top row: YELLOW, RED, space, space, pink/red, pink, space space, white, gray, white/red, gray/red
bottom row: BLACK, brown(7), space, space, pink/blue, pink/black, space, BLACK/WHITE, white/black, gray/black, white/blue, gray/blue

Resistors
1. Between the pink/black & pink there is a 120 ohm resistor (across those 2 wires)
2. there is a 6.8 Kohm resistor from brown(7) to RED (note that brown(7) goes to one end of the resistor and terminates there and the other end of the resistor goes to RED)
Old 02-26-2009, 11:16 PM
I fixed the glitch

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm installing mine this weekend! I caught a glimpse at this thread and went to Circuit City and picked one up for $60! I was shocked! I need to update the firmware though.

EDIT: I realized.. there are 2 threads about this... whoops. I wish I had a Type-S.

Last edited by Carlito Benito; 02-26-2009 at 11:18 PM.
Old 02-27-2009, 12:04 AM
Cruisin'

soo i also owned a type s and install this piece of art....everything fine with me by just unhooking the XM harness from the HU...but im getting the overlap of the XM text. My HFL is working perfectly. what can i do to have the XM text not overlapping my ipod?
Old 02-27-2009, 12:30 AM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hope you guys understand/figure out my diagram the Male side "M" goes to the XM unit and the "F" goes to the car harness. I have the it set up looking an the connectors from the back side and the tab on top. You will need an extra 6 jumpers that go from the XM unit to the car harness, best bet is to buy an extra harness and use the ends/connectors to complete one harness. Make sure you heat shrink or take up the terminas as dey do not touch each other.
Old 02-27-2009, 05:39 AM
abacon

Originally Posted by Sal's Type S
Hope you guys understand/figure out my diagram the Male side "M" goes to the XM unit and the "F" goes to the car harness. I have the it set up looking an the connectors from the back side and the tab on top. You will need an extra 6 jumpers that go from the XM unit to the car harness, best bet is to buy an extra harness and use the ends/connectors to complete one harness. Make sure you heat shrink or take up the terminas as dey do not touch each other.
Thanks for the wiring diagram, I will try to make senes of it after I get ahold of a unit. Can you order an extra harness directly from peripheral?
Old 02-27-2009, 08:53 AM
abacon

Another question. Right now I have just an older 20 gig Ipod but in the future may get an iphone. You need the 5V charger cable for the iphone but will this 5V cable work with older ipods as well. If so it would make sense to just install this cable the first time.
Old 02-27-2009, 10:10 AM
Pro

sals - is there any way you can post a clearer image? gets kinda blurry when you zoom in. did you draw that out using my info or did you draw it out using what you have figured out so far? also my harness only has 2 resistors not 3 as *i think* your diagram shows.
Old 02-27-2009, 02:04 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by abacon09
Thanks for the wiring diagram, I will try to make senes of it after I get ahold of a unit. Can you order an extra harness directly from peripheral?
Yes you should be able to get an extra harness from pretty much any one. A lot of kits sell the PXAMG by its self. And the harness by its self.

Another question. Right now I have just an older 20 gig Ipod but in the future may get an iphone. You need the 5V charger cable for the iphone but will this 5V cable work with older ipods as well. If so it would make sense to just install this cable the first time.
Well I have an I pod touch and it and it did work as for charging I did remember seeing it charge but did nor remember was so exited i got it to work. I will check later to noght and repost. There is also a cable on Ebay thast is suposed to work wit h the I phone its like 25bucks but i think the later cable does this already.

Originally Posted by playa4real
sals - is there any way you can post a clearer image? gets kinda blurry when you zoom in. did you draw that out using my info or did you draw it out using what you have figured out so far? also my harness only has 2 resistors not 3 as *i think* your diagram shows.
Ill try can't up load to big of an image but will try If any body wants a bigger image PM your email. I did it using your info/order you had the wires labeled on your original post and also the original Acura harness, also the wires do change colors on some wires . As for the resistors I have 3 in the harness I made up. I had removed the resistor at 8 and 18 at the PXAMG and I had lost my XM, after I re installed the resistor at 8and 18 it came back. I basically left the harness the alone with all the risistors in the same place. And instead on following the color codes I used number position of the wire.
Old 02-27-2009, 03:40 PM
Racer

Hope this Pic is better.

Old 02-27-2009, 04:25 PM
Pro

Ill try can't up load to big of an image but will try If any body wants a bigger image PM your email. I did it using your info/order you had the wires labeled on your original post and also the original Acura harness, also the wires do change colors on some wires . As for the resistors I have 3 in the harness I made up. I had removed the resistor at 8 and 18 at the PXAMG and I had lost my XM, after I re installed the resistor at 8and 18 it came back. I basically left the harness the alone with all the risistors in the same place. And instead on following the color codes I used number position of the wire.
Did you see my updated post, post 82?
Old 02-27-2009, 04:57 PM
Racer

Ill try can't up load to big of an image but will try If any body wants a bigger image PM your email. I did it using your info/order you had the wires labeled on your original post and also the original Acura harness, also the wires do change colors on some wires . As for the resistors I have 3 in the harness I made up. I had removed the resistor at 8 and 18 at the PXAMG and I had lost my XM, after I re installed the resistor at 8and 18 it came back. I basically left the harness the alone with all the risistors in the same place. And instead on following the color codes I used number position of the wire.[/quote]

I messed up The resistors are on 6 and 18 (NOT 8 and 18). Like i said just keep the harness on the PXAMG side the same and wire the rest to match up diagram.
Old 02-27-2009, 05:05 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by playa4real
Did you see my updated post, post 82?
Yes, I did not notice it till after i put up my post. You finally took it apart could not wait. Well with the post you originally put up I drew it up on paper and went from there by seeing what wires were in bold and what wires you had going to the 24pin connector i was able to figure out what wires were just jumpers from connector to connector and which ones were tee'd. Then the rest i just kind of kept the same which look like a power and grounding points.
Old 02-27-2009, 05:36 PM
Pro

hey sal can you take a picture of what this looks like and how it works?can you maybe make a video of it working.if not that's cool.
Old 02-27-2009, 06:09 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by acura911
hey sal can you take a picture of what this looks like and how it works?can you maybe make a video of it working.if not that's cool.
I should of taken some pics of the connectors inside the XM unit and going to the car harness. The Video I will try and do one this weekend. Good idea.
Old 03-02-2009, 07:38 AM
abacon

Has anyone contacted Tony from Peripheral to ask where they get the male/female plastic connector pieces. We know someone produces them becuase Playa has them on his harness. If we could get a hold on these connectors it would make this manual install of the pheripheral unit that Sal did seamless.
Old 03-02-2009, 09:46 AM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
http://www.consumerdepot.com/product...referer=google

Will that unit be what I'm looking for? Since it's so discounted I'm concerned it may be an older version and won't work with what I'm wanting to do with it. Anyone with these units please let me know if i'm looking at the correct one.
Old 03-02-2009, 01:03 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by pilotman28
http://www.consumerdepot.com/product...referer=google

Will that unit be what I'm looking for? Since it's so discounted I'm concerned it may be an older version and won't work with what I'm wanting to do with it. Anyone with these units please let me know if i'm looking at the correct one.
If its an older Unit I think the biggest difference is that it may have to be plugged in to a power source while its being updated. The latter ones don't need to.

Has anyone contacted Tony from Peripheral to ask where they get the male/female plastic connector pieces. We know someone produces them becuase Playa has them on his harness. If we could get a hold on these connectors it would make this manual install of the pheripheral unit that Sal did seamless.
From what I understand Playa got his harness from Peripheral, so he has the official test harness. I have been/ordered 3 different harnesses hopeing that one will fit but all have been to big. I have been able to use the conectors though. Tony is not being very copereative I asked him once to give me the wireing diagram or possibly were he or his supplier was and did not want to disclose info. The harness that goes into the XM unit could possibly be obtained from dealer as a repair kit for a harness. Or my other guess would be a junk yard/auto dismanteler just ask for the harness end.
Old 03-02-2009, 01:12 PM
Pro

hey sal did you take any picture's yet of your set-up.thanks
Old 03-02-2009, 01:39 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by acura911
hey sal did you take any picture's yet of your set-up.thanks
I put it all back together around wass to excited to finish. I will try to pull again.
Old 03-02-2009, 02:39 PM
abacon

From what I understand Playa got his harness from Peripheral, so he has the official test harness. I have been/ordered 3 different harnesses hopeing that one will fit but all have been to big. I have been able to use the conectors though. Tony is not being very copereative I asked him once to give me the wireing diagram or possibly were he or his supplier was and did not want to disclose info. The harness that goes into the XM unit could possibly be obtained from dealer as a repair kit for a harness. Or my other guess would be a junk yard/auto dismanteler just ask for the harness end.
I am going to continue searching for the harness ends. I looked on Acura's parts website but could not find anything. I may go to a dealer and ask. The junkyard idea sounds good as well. You will need the male and female connector piece, the same configuration as what is on the XM reciever harness, is that right?
Old 03-03-2009, 02:19 AM
Racer

I tried one dealer but I feel that person who looked it up did not thoroughly check for the part. Might try a different dealer. As for needing both ends it would be the GREAT if someone were able to locate both. But the one that I feel is most helpful would be the one that goes to the XM unit since these are more likely to fall out or touch together. The ones that go to he car harness are not to bad. I will get some pics this weekend I have the day off and will make this a weekend project, will also get some video of it in action.
Old 03-03-2009, 10:39 AM
Pro

thanks sal can't wait to see what it looks like.maybe tim can look up the xm harness for us.
Old 03-03-2009, 04:47 PM
abacon

Sal, When you spliced two of the ipod cords together to wire into your car how long were they. I was told the 5V Ipod cords are only 5 feet a piece and if Playa's cord is 20 feet long thats a lot of cord to buy.
Old 03-03-2009, 05:07 PM
Racer

Sal, When you spliced two of the ipod cords together to wire into your car how long were they. I was told the 5V Ipod cords are only 5 feet a piece and if Playa's cord is 20 feet long thats a lot of cord to buy.
I used the stock one I think its like 10 feet. The way I have mine is not to bad just wish I had about 1-2 more feet.
Old 03-03-2009, 08:37 PM
Pro

pretty sweet Sal..im def interested in seeing pics of your harness/install
Old 03-04-2009, 10:06 AM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
So we still don't have an ETA on the harness from Periph?
Old 03-05-2009, 05:44 PM
Racer

Ok people here is my Ipod integration using the Peripheral PXAMG and a modified TL harness I hooked up the wires directly to the XM unit and the car harness. With an additional 6 jumpers between the Xm unit ant the car harness. Video was shot at night also was my video I narrated. I did experience a freeze up that happens when you shut of the vehicle with it in XM mode. Voidtrance has also experienced the same problem. But other than that it works great.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zy1aMp6YZO4

Last edited by Sal's Type S; 03-05-2009 at 05:47 PM.
Old 03-05-2009, 06:02 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by pilotman28
So we still don't have an ETA on the harness from Periph?
Not yet....hoping they will release it soon!

Nice job BTW Sal!
Old 03-05-2009, 06:02 PM
Pro

thanks sal it looks good.can't wait to see the harness hooked up.
Old 03-06-2009, 05:34 PM
abacon

Sal, You mentioned in your video clip that you could extend the ipod cable with CAT5 cable. I assume you are using the normal ipod cable, not the 5V one. Do you think you could extend the 5V one with CAT5?
Old 03-06-2009, 11:13 PM
Racer

Sal, You mentioned in your video clip that you could extend the ipod cable with CAT5 cable. I assume you are using the normal ipod cable, not the 5V one. Do you think you could extend the 5V one with CAT5?
Not sure, I'm assuming that the cable is a 6 conductor because there are 6 on the plug that goes into the switcher module. the most readily available 6 conductor wire is a CAT5 cable so this would be the easiest to get a hold of. the cable I have seems to charge my Touch so I guess it will charge Ipone. I have a 1G Touch if this makes any diference. I'm pretty sure the difference in the cable is inside the connector that goes to the Ipod, so if you extend it as long as you match up every single wire there would be no problem at all. If you guys want to wait I will do this mod this weekend and post some pics.
Old 03-10-2009, 06:07 PM
Pro

hey sal any updates on your harness?thanks
Old 03-12-2009, 02:37 AM
Racer

Ok Boy's and Girl's sorry for the delay but here are the Pics i took this weekend of my 08 TL S wiring harness its basically the regular TL harness that has had the ends that go to the car and XM unit removed. There is also an additional 6 jumpers that will have to be added. Best way to get the additional wires is to get a second harness and use the extra wires to do a friends car as well. I also used the 10FT. Ipod cable that came with my peripheral unit. Well here are the pics.

Make sure you have #2 dip switch set to ON

Ok here are some of the materials I used. 3/32 heat shrink, I used Black and Red but any color will do. I also used wire markers/tags to help me identify the position of each wire.
/picture.php?albumid=844&pictureid=10145[/IMG]

This is how I applied the heat shrink to the connectors once they were removed from the molded ends.

Also I kind of divided the wires into 3 bundles you could kind of see on the pics how 6 wires go to one side(XM) and 6 go other side (car harness) and then 4 towards the center.

And this is how they are pluged into the XM unit, all you do is push the conector ends over the pins that are inside the XM plug. There is like 3 (if I remenber) wires on each side of connector's that WILL NOT have the the coresponding end on them, for this all that will have to be done is cut the wire back and switch it with the right end from the oposite side. Remember leave the side that goes to the Peripheral unit alone.

Almost forgot I found it easier pushing/installing the connectors on the XM unit side first since it was out side the car while doing this. I also taped up the bundle of wires all together so there should be less chance of one falling out this way. Then you push in the rest of the connectors into the cars harness side. At this point go back and VERIFY that all the connections are were they are were they are supposed be at then you could go ahead and do a test run and check your instalation. And lastly trying to mount the XM unit back in its original location is a PAIN IN THE A$$ so be patient and also be carefull any of the connections DON'T come undone.
Old 03-12-2009, 02:53 AM
Racer

I realized I messed up on some of the spelling but i tried to go back and fix but after 5 Min FREAKIN system won't let you. I was also tired. And This weekend i will also be extending my Ipod cable had to get some CAT5 cable from my buddy since he does electrical could get a few feet from him without having to waist a good one with ends on them.
Old 03-14-2009, 02:58 PM
10th Gear

Wink

This works.

I just got mine working today. I originally tried the individual pins like Sal but accidentally shorted something out. It blew a sub-fuse in the radio circuit - PITA. Make sure you disconnect the negative battery terminal before you start and have radio / nav codes ready.

Instead of tossing away the white 14 pin connectors from the two Honda harneses, cut / sand them down into 'blocks' of 2, 4, or 5 pins in a row. Make sure you thin the edges of the plastic down enough that they fit snug up against each other. Reinsert pins according to wiring diagram below AFTER you have sanded down the white plastic to fit. I was able to tape the 'blocks' together into the exact shape of the 20 pin connector and just plugged them right in.

Here's a different attempt at the wiring diagram. Not all the wire colors will match up exactly on the jumpers that go directly from the Acura harness straight through to the XM unit.

Old 03-14-2009, 07:38 PM
10th Gear

More notes:
  • In the diagram above the black wire with white speckles is really brown in color. It is the fourth connection that splits 3 ways (like the red, solid black, and the yellow). For these four connections, you don't need to cut any wires.
  • You are inserting the iSimple into the signal flow from the opposite direction than it would be behind the radio. Picture water flowing through a pipe from right to left and now you are making it flow from left to right. This means you have to cut the ends off all of the white, orange, and gray wires coming out of the iSimple conector 2" from end and splice in the opposite gender of pin to have the correct pin at the end of the wire. (i.e. what was a female connection before now needs a male pin at the end).
  • SOLDER / HEAT SHRINK. Seems obvious but you are making connections that need to be efficient in order to preserve sound quality.
  • USE MULTIMETER TO CHECK CONNECTIONS. There are a LOT of brown wires going on in this project. It is easy to confuse one for another.
  • I ran the iPod cable from the trunk as per the previous description. Once in the interior I had a really tough time trying to get the cable under the carpet to the center console. Gave up and decided to run it under the plastic trim all the way to the b-pillar, then dropped down and ran it under the passenger seat to the center console. Wire runs under the seat track rail and is held in place by the plastic boots on the end of the seat track.
  • The standard length iPod cable from the PXAMG kit was more than enough to reach the upper armrest 'pocket' with about 6" of slack.
Old 03-15-2009, 09:46 AM
Advanced

I am excited to see that this is working for people - but I think this project is a little too sophisticated for my electrical skills! When are we going to get a plug and play version? (or who is going to step up and start making one???)
Old 03-16-2009, 01:25 PM
abacon

So I called the support number listed on the manual and was asking about getting the male and female connectors specific to our xm harnesses. I spoke with a guy named Rick and he told me that we can probably expect a harness for our cars around the June time frame. Apparently all the leftover parts they had after giving the test harnesses to playa4real were sent off for production related issues. Rick said to call back and june and check the progress. In the mean time I am going to build my own harness. If any one is willing to wait till june there may be a lot less work involved if they actually decide to produce it.
Old 03-16-2009, 03:49 PM
PXAMG GuRu

***!!! Attention !!! ***

Guys and Gals,

It's official, The PGHHD2 harness is comming to market. This harness is only for vehicle equipped with NAV Traffic! This harness should hit our doors in mid June and be available no later the July 1.

The ipod cable is still a toss up, not sure if we will have them by then but you can always buy two and make one long one.

Enjoy
TT.

Quick Reply: I-058: playa4real's Peripheral PXAMG Install for a 3G Type S