How do you find the bass from your stock system?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2004, 01:22 PM
Scorching Hot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How do you find the bass from your stock system?

Hey...
I was just wondering if anybody could comment on what they think of the overall bass output from the TL's stock sub and speakers. Sometimes I hear what may sound like distortion and sometimes it proves to be simple trunk rattling. This happens when i play medium-bass music such as techno, rap, hip-hop, etc @ around Vol 15. Does anybody have the same experiences... or an explanation for this?
Old 08-12-2004, 03:14 PM
Wants an M3 in

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
it SUCKS SUCKS SUCKS!!! well its not that bad but I find myself wishing for more. I went by an audio store and they were clueless as to what could be done about replacing the sub etc. I dont think its a smart idea to replace it but maybe amplifying it with a better amp would work. But from looking on the forums I think thats nearly impossible especially if u have navi. AAAH! I want the sound louder in general. Especially on XM channels (they seem to be quieter than CDS and FM) with the windows down doin 80!
Old 08-12-2004, 03:16 PM
Wants an M3 in

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
oh also the rattle may be ur plates ...
Old 08-12-2004, 03:21 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Do you have decklid or wings spoiler installed? I have a decklid installed and I experienced the trunk rattles very bad at high volume. I think this has something to do with the decklid spring touching the inner body of the car. If I open the trunk and lift it up, there is no rattle . I will have my dealer check it this Friday.
Old 08-12-2004, 04:13 PM
Scorching Hot

the rattles are from the plates... i know... but i was wondering more about the distortion like sound
Old 08-12-2004, 05:28 PM
TX JD

Suggestions

There are apparently not enough TLs on the street for most shops to know how to fix. There is one amp, for all channels, located behind the kick panel on the passenger side. It is kinda small, considering it powers all channels. I just got my TL and ordered the Service Manual and Electrical Manual from Helm. Suggestions are: pull rear seat, rear seat back and rear deck. Replace sub with good quality at correct ohm. If not enough, cut out sub signal from stock amp and convert stock wiring to aftermarket RCA, then run new cable to aftermarket amp placed in truck. Real problem for most audiophiles is entire system amp and speakers will need to be replaced. Remember, subs don't speak until below 80 - 100 Hz so most complaints relate not to the subs but the frequencies from 80 - 200 Hz.
Old 08-12-2004, 05:31 PM
Instructor

It's not overwhelmingly loud but does actually go quite deep.
Old 08-12-2004, 05:42 PM
Instructor

I think the Bass is just right. I use to enjoy big SUB vibrating your hair and body, but the range that the stock TL has is just right. It is loud enough for me and the tone is deep and thumps, but not like a giant par or 12" would. The mid range snare sounds tight and fantasitc as well. Personally I think it is the best stock system I have ever heard. You really notice it when you play music that take advantage of your 5.1 system as the channels are separated to specific speakers.

About the rattles... I just got my TL and noticed a slight rattle/vibration on the back deck with higher volumes and certian bass tones. I took it to the dealer and they fix it. The service manager said he knew what was causing it and it is common. This rattle was there before I installed plates or the rear wing. Anyhow... the rattle is fixed and now it sounds tight and pleasant.
Old 08-12-2004, 06:31 PM
TX JD

I agree the sub-bass is about right as to db but it could be tighter. Anyone tried replacing the stock sub with an aftermarket, using stock amp???
Old 08-12-2004, 06:37 PM
Banned

The bass unit in the TL is fantastic. It has fantastic depth with very little coloration. The system makes many stereophile level home systems pale in comparison. You simply never know the sub is there! Sorry for the hip hop crowd, BOOM BOOM is not in is repertoir. Kudos to panasonic for making the best car stereo in the market to date.
Old 08-12-2004, 08:57 PM
Scorching Hot

Actually, i tried standing outside my car.... windows down just to see how much people would hear my music if i was playing it... its pretty audible so long as you're not expecting (hair raising) - bass .