High and Low audio from iPhone and USA Spec

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2008, 11:51 PM
2006 TL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
High and Low audio from iPhone and USA Spec

Much thanks goes out to the Acurazine community for helping me pick out and install the USA Spec module. This forum is by far has the most enthusiastic and helpful members!

So i'm hoping someone can help me out with this problem.

When I hook up my iPhone to the USA unit, some of the mp3s play soft while others play louder. I've searched the forum, and i can't seem to find anyone else with this issue. Something tells me it's the mp3s, and they need to have their audio levels normalized.... But i just want to make sure....

Anyone out there with the same issue? Any solutions?
Old 06-25-2008, 12:58 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,989 Likes on 1,412 Posts
do the mp3's get louder or softer while the music is playing, like track 1 loud, then track 2 soft, or like track 1 fades in and out, or track 1 plays loud, get out of car, get in car, track 2 plays soft?

I would think it's either a setting with the iphone or the mp3 recording volume. I have not experienced anything like that with my usa-spec, I would try with an ipod and see if it still happens
Old 06-25-2008, 05:40 AM
05' AT SSM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My ipod has a setting where you can play all at the same loudness, look for a setting on yours.
Old 06-25-2008, 11:22 AM
2006 TL

This morning on my drive to work i hooked up my 2gen ipod nano, and it worked great! The nano played louder, clearer, and consistent (i was using the same playlist and music for this test). After, i hooked up my iphone, and was having the problem again. And yes the iphone has the "sound check" feature on (now that i think of it, i didn't try it with that feature off). Also i tried the iphone in airplane mode and got the same bad results.

Track one is loud, track two is soft, track three is soft.... and so on... there is no fading in and out during a single song. The iphone did start to act wacky after a while. I would hit channel up, and the song would fast forward, and/or the song title/art work didn't match the song playing. This all ended up freezing my phone up.

My next step will be to see if the high and low audio is consistent across the playlist.

So far all this leads me to believe that my iPhone just doesn't play nice with the USA Spec box....
Old 06-25-2008, 12:39 PM

Received 5,885 Likes on 2,900 Posts
Originally Posted by gnl63
This morning on my drive to work i hooked up my 2gen ipod nano, and it worked great! The nano played louder, clearer, and consistent (i was using the same playlist and music for this test). After, i hooked up my iphone, and was having the problem again. And yes the iphone has the "sound check" feature on (now that i think of it, i didn't try it with that feature off). Also i tried the iphone in airplane mode and got the same bad results.

Track one is loud, track two is soft, track three is soft.... and so on... there is no fading in and out during a single song. The iphone did start to act wacky after a while. I would hit channel up, and the song would fast forward, and/or the song title/art work didn't match the song playing. This all ended up freezing my phone up.

My next step will be to see if the high and low audio is consistent across the playlist.

So far all this leads me to believe that my iPhone just doesn't play nice with the USA Spec box....
Keep us posted on that; I know there are several other members here who've hooked up their iPhones to a USA Spec with no trouble. Personally, I have an iTouch, which should be using the same software for music playback, etc. and have had no problems similar to what you are describing.
Old 06-25-2008, 09:29 PM
2006 TL

So it looks like the solution to my problem is to turn OFF the "sound check" option.

I turned it off on my iPhone, and it worked. Then just for poops and giggles, i turned it "ON" on my nano, and saw the same problem i was having before.

I did a bit of digging, first in order for the sound check to fully work, you have to have the option turned "on" in your itunes. Then iTunes analyzes each song and adds metadata that tells the player how much db off set to add or subtract. I do have the option "on" in my itunes, but i found (looking around some ipod forums) that with a few ipod accessories, sound check hurts rather then helps.
Old 06-25-2008, 10:32 PM

Received 5,885 Likes on 2,900 Posts
Originally Posted by gnl63
So it looks like the solution to my problem is to turn OFF the "sound check" option.

I turned it off on my iPhone, and it worked. Then just for poops and giggles, i turned it "ON" on my nano, and saw the same problem i was having before.

I did a bit of digging, first in order for the sound check to fully work, you have to have the option turned "on" in your itunes. Then iTunes analyzes each song and adds metadata that tells the player how much db off set to add or subtract. I do have the option "on" in my itunes, but i found (looking around some ipod forums) that with a few ipod accessories, sound check hurts rather then helps.
Nice work! Thanks for the update.